Horrid weekend for referees

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Horrid weekend for referees

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Everton v Liverpool

I understand it's a derby but there should have been at least two send offs and a few more yellows...... Mirallas on Suarez :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Eheadlines

Stoke v Sunderland

Wes brown gets sent off for one of the best sliding tackles I have seen in a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UziYKM0Rqo
HA'WAY THE LADS

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Horrid weekend for referees

Post by oldfart »

I would say it was a Horrid Weekend for supporters too. :oops: :oops: :oops:
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Wes sent off is a joke! Shocking decision
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

haywood djablowme wrote:Wes sent off is a joke! Shocking decision
Image - for those who don't want to watch the link above

Worse was the commentary saying it was a send off, and that Sunderland appealing it is a waste of time.

AND them saying Begovic didn't catch Fletcher (which I don't think it a foul either, to be fair)

I still can't see a foul by Brown, let alone a straight red. Tell me, which one looks to be more dangerous?!

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

To the letter of the law the Wes Brown could be a yellow, the Begovic challenge (to the letter of the law) should have been a red.....
HA'WAY THE LADS

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Outlaw 2.0 wrote:To the letter of the law the Wes Brown could be a yellow, the Begovic challenge (to the letter of the law) should have been a red.....
Neither of them should have been anything. It's a bottle of shiraz contact sport FFS, you're allowed to go for a ball in the air and Begovic got there way before Fletcher did.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

oldfart wrote:I would say it was a Horrid Weekend for supporters too. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Horrid for Tottenham supporters.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Could have been uglier...I think that had Fletcher not lost his footing he would have avoided the challenge....having said that it is still studs up and dangerous play...contacts the ball at almost head height :shock:

Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Outlaw 2.0 wrote:To the letter of the law the Wes Brown could be a yellow, the Begovic challenge (to the letter of the law) should have been a red.....
Neither of them should have been anything. It's a bottle of shiraz contact sport FFS, you're allowed to go for a ball in the air and Begovic got there way before Fletcher did.
Exactly. How either of them are even being discussed as red cards is a joke.

Rooney and Mirallas are the only two that should have seen red this weekend, and neither of them did.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

BowTiesAreCool wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Exactly. How either of them are even being discussed as red cards is a joke.

Rooney and Mirallas are the only two that should have seen red this weekend, and neither of them did.
What about Gary Medel? He punched Fellaini in the face off the ball.... Obviously Rooneys gets more attention cause its Rooney
And Mirallas, well like i said, suarez deserves everything he gets. Apparently suarez put in a shocking tackle against Mirallas in an international match recently

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Le King wrote:Apparently suarez put in a shocking tackle against Mirallas in an international match recently
:clown:

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Have I ever mentioned how awesome Soccerway is, best site for stats IMHO.

http://au.soccerway.com/teams/compariso ... _ids[]=281

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Lol @ Suarez putting in a dirty challenge against mirallis. Where'd you get that from?

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Doesn't help on the day but Wes Brown's red has been rescinded.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Referees are taught that even Goalkeepers are not allowed to go into a tackle with their studs up - so the Red Card was clearly the correct decision.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

oldfart wrote:Referees are taught that even Goalkeepers are not allowed to go into a tackle with their studs up - so the Red Card was clearly the correct decision.
At what angle of the foot do the studs become 'up'?
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
oldfart wrote:Referees are taught that even Goalkeepers are not allowed to go into a tackle with their studs up - so the Red Card was clearly the correct decision.

In this case I would suggest when they are pointed straight at a players face. :P
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

I'm not sure you guessed the correct tackle that got the card, The goalkeepers was play on.......... :shock:
HA'WAY THE LADS

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

oldfart wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

In this case I would suggest when they are pointed straight at a players face. :P
It was a serious, if slight facetious, question. You cannot make any tackle with raising your foot, so where is the line drawn in the referees' minds?
Danny Blanchflower

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

totsreds08 wrote:Lol @ Suarez putting in a dirty challenge against mirallis. Where'd you get that from?
I thought that's what the commentator said during the match. But obviously it wasnt during an international match. It was last season. Mirallis said that he told suarez just after the kick off that he still remembers that challenge on him that kept him out for 2 weeks last season, and that suarez just laughed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... uarez.html

Kevin Mirallas admits that he has not forgotten Luis Suarez’s challenge during last season’s Merseyside derby which left him on the sidelines for two weeks.

The clash came just over a year on from the 2-2 draw at Goodison Park, another contest during which Suarez was the subject of controversy.

His boot landed on Mirallas’ foot as he attempted to tackle his opponent, forcing him to withdraw at half-time.

Suarez was also accused of a crude challenge on Sylvain Distin having ran his studs down the defender

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Mirallis didn't withdraw at half time. I'm pretty sure he played the full 90. I also remember him committing at least 8 fouls going unpunished. A boot landing on his foot compared to a studs high tackle behind the knee. Yeah pretty close :roll:

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

totsreds08 wrote:Mirallis didn't withdraw at half time. I'm pretty sure he played the full 90. I also remember him committing at least 8 fouls going unpunished. A boot landing on his foot compared to a studs high tackle behind the knee. Yeah pretty close :roll:
Yeah he came off at half time in that game
pretty sure he would remember since he was the one playing

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Le King wrote:
totsreds08 wrote:Mirallis didn't withdraw at half time. I'm pretty sure he played the full 90. I also remember him committing at least 8 fouls going unpunished. A boot landing on his foot compared to a studs high tackle behind the knee. Yeah pretty close :roll:
And yet none of this has anything to do with the fact he should of been sent off Saturday. :clown:

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Mirallas is an idiot for opening his mouth and confirming there was some premeditation.
Firstly just lines him up for the return derby and secondly it should be putting him on the radar at FA HQ for a sanction, if it was any other player copping the challenge it might be an issue.
The guilty intent is no different to Keane admitting he premeditated his “tackle” on Haland.

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
Le King wrote:
And yet none of this has anything to do with the fact he should of been sent off Saturday. :clown:
awww

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Le King wrote:
awww
:cry: