So Now he is Australian????

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

So Now he is Australian????

Post by Black_Panther »

CROATIA'S World Cup qualification celebrations have been marred by apparent pro-Nazi chants by fans by Australian-born and raised defender Joe Simunic.

Croatia qualified for the World Cup with a 2-0 win over Iceland on Tuesday. Video footage shows Simunic taking a microphone to the field after the match and shouting to the fans: "For the homeland!" The fans respond: "Ready!"

That was the war call used by Ustashas, the Croatian pro-Nazi puppet regime that ruled the state during World War II when tens of thousands Jews, Serbs and others perished in concentration camps.

Simunic defended his action, saying "some people have to learn some history. I'm not afraid."

"I did nothing wrong. I'm supporting my Croatia, my homeland," the 35-year-old defender said.

"If someone has something against it, that's their problem."

The same chant coupled with the Nazi salute has often been used by Croatian fans in the past.

FIFA and UEFA have often fined the Croatian Football Association because of their behaviour.

There was no immediate reaction from FIFA to the latest incident.
At the 2006 World Cup, Simunic was the player who received three yellow cards against the Socceroos before being sent off.

Simunic grew up in Australia and earned a scholarship at the AIS.

He played his early football for the Melbourne Knights in the NSL before moving to Europe and eventually declaring his allegiance to Croatia, where his parents were born.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

pantlayer
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: So Now he is Australian????

Post by pantlayer »

Well done Aussie Joe!
ZDS

Rebel with a Cause
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Rebel with a Cause »

Nothing wrong with the Croatians celebrating in the old traditional way.
No one was hurt so what's the issue.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

pantlayer wrote:Well done Aussie Joe!
x2

Usual rubbish twisted by the communist propoganda machine in Croatia, and jumped on by the rest of the sheep rather than get their facts straight, and as Joe says, "learn some history".

Croatia's best singer and best exponent of "tackle of the year"...Croatia's entrant in next years Eurovision is none other than our "Minister of Defence". :wink: :lol:

Rebel with a Cause
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Rebel with a Cause »

It's so out if character for the Croats to associate themselves with fascism & nazis.
Where do they come up with all these lies.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Rebel with a Cause wrote:It's so out if character for the Croats to associate themselves with fascism & nazis.
Wabster! :wink: :lol:

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Rebel with a Cause wrote:It's so out if character for the Croats to associate themselves with fascism & nazis.
If he was associated with Communism like Flores is would there be the issue?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

You only have to look at the recent history of Pro-Nazi salutes and songs in Croatian matches to realise there is a serious problem over there that needs to be addressed.

A long ban from ALL international Football is the most effective punishment if they don't change their ways.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

oldfart wrote:You only have to look at the recent history of Pro-Nazi salutes and songs in Croatian matches to realise there is a serious problem over there that needs to be addressed.

A long ban from ALL international Football is the most effective punishment if they don't change their ways.
I agree...but ban them all if that's the case. Wouldn't be many European nations competing then...

thewabster
Star Player
Star Player

Post by thewabster »

General Tony Cash wrote:
oldfart wrote:You only have to look at the recent history of Pro-Nazi salutes and songs in Croatian matches to realise there is a serious problem over there that needs to be addressed.

I agree...but ban them all if that's the case. Wouldn't be many European nations competing then...
Looks like a common underlying trait

Of course unless you r part of the media, the legislators and the entire apparatus of the Croatian political system, in that case , they are all communist.

Blaming Yugoslavia for your political problems ended years ago, time to come up with a new scapegoat.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

thewabster wrote:
Of course unless you r part of the media, the legislators and the entire apparatus of the Croatian political system, in that case , they are all communist.

Blaming Yugoslavia for your political problems ended years ago, time to come up with a new scapegoat.
Yugoslavia doesn't exist - no-one is blaming something that doesn't exist.

Communists ran Yugo just like communists run today's Croatia. If it wasn't for our media making something out of nothing, the rest of the world wouldn't even know about it and we wouldn't be discussing it.

Zeljko Jovanovic (cabinet minister) is offended by Simo singing a few verses that have been used by Croats for nearly 500 years...but he's not offended by what happened in Belgrade 2 months ago in a WC qualifier...yes, makes perfect sense. :shock: :oops:

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

General Tony Cash wrote:
thewabster wrote:

Communists ran Yugo just like communists run today's Croatia. If it wasn't for our media making something out of nothing, the rest of the world wouldn't even know about it and we wouldn't be discussing it.

Zeljko Jovanovic (cabinet minister) is offended by Simo singing a few verses that have been used by Croats for nearly 500 years...but he's not offended by what happened in Belgrade 2 months ago in a WC qualifier...yes, makes perfect sense. :shock: :oops:

But what was sung 500 years ago is HISTORY and has absolutely no relevance to anything today - except in the minds of people filled with hatred and those who haven't got the intelligence to understand that the problems they face today are due to their own actions - not something that happened 500 years ago.

SAD SODS! :oops: :oops: :oops:
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

oldfart wrote:
General Tony Cash wrote:
thewabster wrote:

But what was sung 500 years ago is HISTORY and has absolutely no relevance to anything today - except in the minds of people filled with hatred and those who haven't got the intelligence to understand that the problems they face today are due to their own actions - not something that happened 500 years ago.

this is precisely why this is such a disgrace

the average Joe (pardon the pun) gets whipped up into a frenzy, without having a faaarken clue about what the faaark just happened
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

oldfart wrote: But what was sung 500 years ago is HISTORY and has absolutely no relevance to anything today - except in the minds of people filled with hatred and those who haven't got the intelligence to understand that the problems they face today are due to their own actions - not something that happened 500 years ago.

Aha, so all history should be ignored and forgotten? :roll:

I would have thought the quotes were quite relevant 20 years ago even... :shock:

I'll be sure to let Simo and all Cro supporters know that in future only new songs baring no historical relevance to Croats are allowed to be sung from the terraces. AFL and Sheffield Shield like crowd behavior will only be tolerated. 8)

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Also - give me Simo's interaction with his supporters over the Aussie captain's with his supporters last week any day. :shock: :lol:

Poor Luca$. :wink:

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

just like the greeks who claim baghdatis.... hes cypriot

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Le King wrote:just like the greeks who claim baghdatis.... hes cypriot
It's OK - he only sang anti-Turkish songs while in Oz. :wink:

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

General Tony Cash wrote:
oldfart wrote: But what was sung 500 years ago is HISTORY and has absolutely no relevance to anything today - except in the minds of people filled with hatred and those who haven't got the intelligence to understand that the problems they face today are due to their own actions - not something that happened 500 years ago.

I would have thought the quotes were quite relevant 20 years ago even... :shock:

I'll be sure to let Simo and all Cro supporters know that in future only new songs baring no historical relevance to Croats are allowed to be sung from the terraces. AFL and Sheffield Shield like crowd behavior will only be tolerated. 8)

GTC, no one's saying history should be forgotten but using it as a tool to incite hatred and violence is not only stupid, it is dangerous and self-destructive.

And they have no right to use Football as the venue to peddle their hatred, Racism, Homophobia or whatever!

Kick Out Racism (and the other crap too).
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

oldfart wrote:
General Tony Cash wrote:

GTC, no one's saying history should be forgotten but using it as a tool to incite hatred and violence is not only stupid, it is dangerous and self-destructive.

And they have no right to use Football as the venue to peddle their hatred, Racism, Homophobia or whatever!

Kick Out Racism (and the other crap too).

Disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Celtic for an incident of "non-sporting nature" during the Champions League defeat by AC Milan.
Banners with a slogan depicted Scottish warrior William Wallace and Irish hunger striker Bobby Sands. The case will be dealt with by the Uefa Control and Disciplinary meeting on 11 December. Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell described the banners as "nothing more than clear disrespect for the club". Celtic were previously fined by Uefa over a banner displayed during a Europa League tie against Udinese in 2011. A penalty was imposed for supporters setting off fireworks during a Champions League qualifier this season. Celtic have previously warned supporters in section 111 of the stadium, known to house the Green Brigade, over their future conduct or face being relocated.
The Green Brigade is a self-styled "ultras" group of fans known for banner displays and chanting and Celtic have made it "abundantly clear" that "only football-related displays would be permitted and that any political display would lead to a Uefa charge.

"There have now been a number of Uefa charges made against the club during the last three years, relating to behaviour, displays and pyrotechnics - it cannot go on any further. Let's be very clear. Following the actions of a small minority, these charges are made against the club. It is the reputation of Celtic, our great club and our great fans which is damaged, while others carry on indulging in such behaviour. Our supporters do not want this anymore. We are a non-political organisation, a top football club in fantastic shape, aiming to play its part as a major football club on the European stage. Regardless of the political views people hold, football stadia, whether it is Celtic Park or anywhere else, should not be used to promote these. This is something which all football authorities, including Uefa, have stressed for some time and something well known by all supporters.
"The club don't want it, our manager and our team don't want it, our supporters don't want it and the football authorities don't want it - it has to stop." Peter Lawwell Celtic chief executive
+1
Don't we play and follow sport to get away from this crap. We've all got beliefs, what makes some people think they are so special they have to bore everyone else shitless with theirs.