Pellegrini gets the excuses in early

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Pellegrini gets the excuses in early

Post by oldfart »

'Unbelievable' that Manchester City must play CSKA Moscow on suspect pitch grumbles Manuel Pellegrini
22 Oct 2013 22:30

Russians had to move their last Champions League home game to another venue and Blues boss fears postponement if it rains

Warren Little

Manuel Pellegrini has hit out at UEFA for allowing Manchester City’s clash with CSKA Moscow to go ahead on the Russians' dodgy pitch, writes David Anderson in Moscow.

City boss Pellegrini does not believe the playing surface at the Khimki Arena is up to standard, and fears the Champions League match could be called off it if rains.

CSKA’s previous European home game, against Viktoria Plzen, had to be moved from Moscow to St Petersburg - 400 miles away - and Pellegrini is stunned that UEFA have now given the pitch a thumbs-up for Wednesday night.

“Of course I’m surprised,” he said. “I’m surprised because they were not allowed to play the other game here, against Plzen.

“I think the people from UEFA who reviewed the pitch without hestiation should have said, 'It cannot be played here.'

“I think it’s unbelievable that the most important cup competition in the world is allowed to be played on this pitch.

“We must pray on Wednesday that it’s not raining. If it’s raining it will be impossible to play on this pitch. It could be called off.

“I didn’t believe it when I saw the pitch. This is the most important competition in the world, and it deserves a better pitch.”

UEFA have inspected the pitch several times and dismissed Pellegrini's concerns that it is sub-standard.

A spokesperson said: "The pitch has been monitored and inspected over the last weeks and has been deemed playable - even if it might not look impeccable, aesthetically.

"It has recently been considerably improved, thanks to the intensive work of the groundsmen, and we are confident the match will be played under good conditions."

CSKA coach Leonid Slutsky admitted the turf, which has been partially relaid, is poor, but is more concerned by his team’s slump in form - they have lost five of their last seven games.

“I suppose the quality of the pitch is equal to the quality of our latest results,” he said, while adding of City: "We can hardly beat them on skill."

Pellegrini's men must take advantage of CSKA’s struggles to win and move ahead of the Russian champions in the race for a place in the last 16.

City midfielder Yaya Toure knows what it takes to win the European Cup, having been victorious with Barcelona in 2009.

He insists City - who hav failed to get past the group stage in the last two seasons - are progressing as a Champions League side, despite their chastening loss to holders Bayern Munich last month.

“The difference between Man City and Barcelona is not that big,” said the Ivory Coast midfielder. “We have a new manager who wants to improve it and we are playing well.

“We want to play attractive football, try to dominate and win games.

“We know the Champions League is difficult to win.

“We are learning well and I hope this year is going to be much better than last year and we can go as far as possible.”
Probable teams

CSKA Moscow Akinfeev; Nababkin, Berezutski, Ignashevich, Schennikov; Milanov, Wernbloom, Tosic, Honda, Zuber; Musa.

Manchester City Hart; Zabaleta, Nastasic, Garcia, Kolarov; Silva, Fernandinho, Toure, Navas; Dzeko, Aguero.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Pellegrini gets the excuses in early

Post by bapa »

oldfart wrote:'Unbelievable' that Manchester City must play CSKA Moscow on suspect pitch grumbles Manuel Pellegrini
22 Oct 2013 22:30

Russians had to move their last Champions League home game to another venue and Blues boss fears postponement if it rains

Warren Little

Manuel Pellegrini has hit out at UEFA for allowing Manchester City’s clash with CSKA Moscow to go ahead on the Russians' dodgy pitch, writes David Anderson in Moscow.

City boss Pellegrini does not believe the playing surface at the Khimki Arena is up to standard, and fears the Champions League match could be called off it if rains.

CSKA’s previous European home game, against Viktoria Plzen, had to be moved from Moscow to St Petersburg - 400 miles away - and Pellegrini is stunned that UEFA have now given the pitch a thumbs-up for Wednesday night.

“Of course I’m surprised,” he said. “I’m surprised because they were not allowed to play the other game here, against Plzen.

“I think the people from UEFA who reviewed the pitch without hestiation should have said, 'It cannot be played here.'

“I think it’s unbelievable that the most important cup competition in the world is allowed to be played on this pitch.

“We must pray on Wednesday that it’s not raining. If it’s raining it will be impossible to play on this pitch. It could be called off.

“I didn’t believe it when I saw the pitch. This is the most important competition in the world, and it deserves a better pitch.”

UEFA have inspected the pitch several times and dismissed Pellegrini's concerns that it is sub-standard.

A spokesperson said: "The pitch has been monitored and inspected over the last weeks and has been deemed playable - even if it might not look impeccable, aesthetically.

"It has recently been considerably improved, thanks to the intensive work of the groundsmen, and we are confident the match will be played under good conditions."

CSKA coach Leonid Slutsky admitted the turf, which has been partially relaid, is poor, but is more concerned by his team’s slump in form - they have lost five of their last seven games.

“I suppose the quality of the pitch is equal to the quality of our latest results,” he said, while adding of City: "We can hardly beat them on skill."

Pellegrini's men must take advantage of CSKA’s struggles to win and move ahead of the Russian champions in the race for a place in the last 16.

City midfielder Yaya Toure knows what it takes to win the European Cup, having been victorious with Barcelona in 2009.

He insists City - who hav failed to get past the group stage in the last two seasons - are progressing as a Champions League side, despite their chastening loss to holders Bayern Munich last month.

“The difference between Man City and Barcelona is not that big,” said the Ivory Coast midfielder. “We have a new manager who wants to improve it and we are playing well.

“We want to play attractive football, try to dominate and win games.

“We know the Champions League is difficult to win.

“We are learning well and I hope this year is going to be much better than last year and we can go as far as possible.”
Probable teams

CSKA Moscow Akinfeev; Nababkin, Berezutski, Ignashevich, Schennikov; Milanov, Wernbloom, Tosic, Honda, Zuber; Musa.

Manchester City Hart; Zabaleta, Nastasic, Garcia, Kolarov; Silva, Fernandinho, Toure, Navas; Dzeko, Aguero.

Only 1 pom in City's starting eleven?
:shock:

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

Buh bye
Feel Good Inc.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Benitez and him swapping benches next season if you believe the papers

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Man City only four points from 5th , imagine if they missed out on Champions League.

Del Boca Vista
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Del Boca Vista »

bapa wrote: Only 1 pom in City's starting eleven?
why are you shocked? it's city??

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Del Boca Vista wrote:
bapa wrote: Only 1 pom in City's starting eleven?
why are you shocked? it's city??
You would struggle to field an England side if you used both Chelsea and Man City squads.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stonking finish from James Collison. Any striker would be proud of that touch.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower