Dive, or No Dive?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Dive, or No Dive?

Post by Con M »

Don't know if any forumites saw this segment on ESPN Presspass this week.

They had a part of the show called "Dive, or No Dive" where panellists like Tommy Smyth (with a 'y') gave their opinion on whether 5 incidents were a dive or no dive. Quite a catchy segment title, similar to that TV show where the host asks contestants "Deal or no Deal".

4 of the 5 incidents this week were voted as a dive.

Ashley Young's dive in the 1st half of the Man.U. v. Palace game yesterday (Sat. 14/9/13) is bound to be one incident that will be shown in next week's "Dive or No Dive" segment.

Serial offender Young dived over his opponent's outstretched leg, then he (Young) kicked that opponent with his own trailing left leg to try to make it look as if the defender fouled him. Young was rightly yellow-carded for his theatrics.

Thank goodness the media is embarrassing these cheats with replays and segments like this, seeing I.F.A.B. won't approve post-match review!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Dive, or No Dive?

Post by ozzie owl »

I agree Con time for post match video review and issue retrospective yellow cards.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

David Moyes has already chastised him publicly.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Young was disgraceful yesterday, dived here there and everywhere

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

Personally i thought contact was 1st made outside the box, and he fell in the box, so no penalty
As far as the red card, well that was touch and go
But def not a penalty imo

but was funny when the camera showed Fergie in the stands, then 10 mins later.... PENALTY!

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Le King wrote:Personally i thought contact was 1st made outside the box, and he fell in the box, so no penalty

but was funny when the camera showed Fergie in the stands, then 10 mins later.... PENALTY!

Was thinking the same, however his first attempted penalty was a complete dive and well done to the referee, for issuing him a yellow!!

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Red-4-Life wrote:Young was disgraceful yesterday, dived here there and everywhere
I thought the English don't dive? :?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

General Tony Cash wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:Young was disgraceful yesterday, dived here there and everywhere
unfortunately it's even in the English game now. Another reason to return to the 2 foreigners rule.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

God is an Englishman wrote: unfortunately it's even in the English game now. Another reason to return to the 2 foreigners rule.
Or just follow the championship. :wink:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

General Tony Cash wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: unfortunately it's even in the English game now. Another reason to return to the 2 foreigners rule.
Or just follow the championship. :wink:

Millwall - irish goal keeper, australian defender, french midfielder, welsh and irish forward.s

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

Snodgrass had a worse one in the Spurs Norwich game, if anyone saw that.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Le King wrote:Personally i thought contact was 1st made outside the box, and he fell in the box, so no penalty

I was referring to the earlier charade when he was well inside the penalty area and TV replays showed Young jutting out his leg to make sure there was contact with Palace player Kagisho Dikgacoi before throwing himself to the ground.

As for the penalty & red card incident, I thought (a) it was just outside the 18-yard line, and (b) another defender was coming across to also cut off any obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

haha :lol: I saw that

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

God is an Englishman wrote:Millwall - irish goal keeper, australian defender, french midfielder, welsh and irish forward.s
Is that why Millwall are bottom?
Feel Good Inc.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

El Capitano wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Millwall - irish goal keeper, australian defender, french midfielder, welsh and irish forward.s
Is that why Millwall are bottom?

no, we're bottom because we're cabernet.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

erik_lamela wrote:Snodgrass had a worse one in the Spurs Norwich game, if anyone saw that.
Any link to a video clip? Like to see that if it's that bad, and if it is I hope it makes this week's top-five "Dive, or No Dive" segment.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

God is an Englishman wrote:
General Tony Cash wrote:
unfortunately it's even in the English game now. Another reason to return to the 2 foreigners rule.
GMAE, I wish you wouldn't always blame only those dastardly foreigners for this blight on the game. Didn't Michael Owen also admit publicly that he too dived to get penalties?

As for your 2-foreigners rule, can I gently tell you you're dreamin'? And the most we can all hope for is some gentlemen's agreement of a '6-plus-5' rule or variation thereof...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Anyone with half a brain can see that more foreigners dive than English players. Of course you'll find some English players who dive, the same as you'll find italians who don't. It's becoming more prevelant though, I was brought up to never dive, it's not the sign of a man. As for my 2 foreigner rule - i know it won't happen, but I can dream.

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

Con M wrote:
erik_lamela wrote:Snodgrass had a worse one in the Spurs Norwich game, if anyone saw that.
Any link to a video clip? Like to see that if it's that bad, and if it is I hope it makes this week's top-five "Dive, or No Dive" segment.
Couldn't find one. Didn't get as much attention due to it being a Norwich player not a Manchester United one and it wasn't at a crucial stage of the game (Spurs 2-0 at that point). But it was bad.

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

God is an Englishman wrote:Anyone with half a brain can see that more foreigners dive than English players. Of course you'll find some English players who dive, the same as you'll find italians who don't. It's becoming more prevelant though, I was brought up to never dive, it's not the sign of a man. As for my 2 foreigner rule - i know it won't happen, but I can dream.

That's because there are more foreigners than Englishmen. They all bloody dive, hell, Gerrard has dived before, there's a difference between avoiding contact and what Young did though.

That was blatant cheating, and he deserves a ban.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

erik_lamela wrote:
Con M wrote:
Couldn't find one. Didn't get as much attention due to it being a Norwich player not a Manchester United one and it wasn't at a crucial stage of the game (Spurs 2-0 at that point). But it was bad.
Thanks for searching though, erik_lamela. Hopefully the ESPN boys will have nominated it for their "Dive, or No Dive" segment. Or it might be on the EPL highlights show. Everyone seems thoroughly sick of those diving cheats.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Here you go Con, a nice article to keep you occupied for a while.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... erees.html

PS I agree wholeheartedly with the overall intention.

PS You'll note that Polly says IFAB approval is NOT required.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Litmanen wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Anyone with half a brain can see that more foreigners dive than English players. Of course you'll find some English players who dive, the same as you'll find italians who don't. It's becoming more prevelant though, I was brought up to never dive, it's not the sign of a man. As for my 2 foreigner rule - i know it won't happen, but I can dream.

That's because there are more foreigners than Englishmen. They all bloody dive, hell, Gerrard has dived before, there's a difference between avoiding contact and what Young did though.

That was blatant cheating, and he deserves a ban.

Do you intend to ban all people who commit cautionable offences?

If you really think the foreigners don't dive more than the English players then you need to start watching football with your eyes open.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Here you go Con, a nice article to keep you occupied for a while.

Nah NOC, Graham Poll a good ex-ref but the above piece won't keep me busy. I'm all for punishing the cheats, but I can drag out the actual wording of the (still) STANDING IFAB ruling on not using post-match video review and that simulation must be intensely fought & sanctioned during the game. The important closing phrase is quote, "All Confederations and member Associations are bound by the decisions of IFAB".

Unlike some other sports where various authorities make it up as they go along, wrong or right our sport is bound by the laws, rulings & decisions of the SOLE custodian of those - the I.F.A.B.

Because it such a grey area, best that if there are enough definitive camera angles to prove a case, then the media should continue to expose, humiliate & shame divers into desisting.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Here you go Con, a nice article to keep you occupied for a while.

Nah NOC, Graham Poll a good ex-ref but the above piece won't keep me busy. I'm all for punishing the cheats, but I can drag out the actual wording of the (still) STANDING IFAB ruling on not using post-match video review and that simulation must be intensely fought & sanctioned during the game. The important closing phrase is quote, "All Confederations and member Associations are bound by the decisions of IFAB".

Unlike some other sports where various authorities make it up as they go along, wrong or right our sport is bound by the laws, rulings & decisions of the SOLE custodian of those - the I.F.A.B.

Because it such a grey area, best that if there are enough definitive camera angles to prove a case, then the media should continue to expose, humiliate & shame divers into desisting.
and why shouldn't they all be bound by those rulings.

If they cannot use vide evidence, how was Ben Thatcher punished for his challenge on mendez despite the referee seeing it and taking action at the time?

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

God is an Englishman wrote: Do you intend to ban all people who commit cautionable offences?

If you really think the foreigners don't dive more than the English players then you need to start watching football with your eyes open.
Give him a break, he's still recovering from the Naismith goal.
Feel Good Inc.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Interesting "Dive or no Dive" segment on ESPN today (7.30pm South OZ time, 13/11).

The panellists were divided on the Ramires fall-down against WBA at the end of that game at the Bridge.

But they were unanimous about Micah Richards' obvious & ludicrous swan dive at Sunderland.

Any of you inglorious basterd forumites have an opinion about the Ramires thing?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Interesting "Dive or no Dive" segment on ESPN today (7.30pm South OZ time, 13/11).

The panellists were divided on the Ramires fall-down against WBA at the end of that game at the Bridge.

But they were unanimous about Micah Richards' obvious & ludicrous swan dive at Sunderland.

Any of you inglorious basterd forumites have an opinion about the Ramires thing?
Dive. Reid didn't even make a challenge so any contact was instigated by that cheating Chav champagne.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Arturo Ui
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Arturo Ui »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Dive. Reid didn't even make a challenge so any contact was instigated by that cheating Chav champagne.
Might have to concede that one. With all your experience watching Bale, you'd have an eye for these things.
Beware of satirical imitations

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Arturo Ui wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Dive. Reid didn't even make a challenge so any contact was instigated by that cheating Chav champagne.
Might have to concede that one. With all your experience watching Bale, you'd have an eye for these things.
Only got diving once the Eyetalians started coming to England, just ask Hawkesy :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Con M wrote:Interesting "Dive or no Dive" segment on ESPN today (7.30pm South OZ time, 13/11).

Dive. Reid didn't even make a challenge so any contact was instigated by that cheating Chav champagne.

Ramires is one of the worst offenders of diving in the EPL but he always seems to avoid much media scrutiny. :?
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!