Lets all laugh at Wenger

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Lets all laugh at Wenger

Post by haywood djablowme »

Just one of his post match quotes after Villa defeat

on why money hasn't been spent…I can return your question. Could we have won the game with the players that were on the pitch today? That's for me the real question. And I say yes. After that, if we do not spend the money, it's because we do not find the players. I'm not the only one to work on that. We are a team who work on that. We are ready to buy the players if we find that the players are good enough for us. That's all we can tell you.

:roll: :shock: :idea:

How can he not see that squad is not good enough! I could pick a better starting 11 out there available to transfer in but yet somebody with a 70.mil war chest makes such silly comments
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Lets all laugh at Wenger

Post by # 9 »

haywood djablowme wrote:Just one of his post match quotes after Villa defeat

on why money hasn't been spent…I can return your question. Could we have won the game with the players that were on the pitch today? That's for me the real question. And I say yes. After that, if we do not spend the money, it's because we do not find the players. I'm not the only one to work on that. We are a team who work on that. We are ready to buy the players if we find that the players are good enough for us. That's all we can tell you.

How can he not see that squad is not good enough! I could pick a better starting 11 out there available to transfer in but yet somebody with a 70.mil war chest makes such silly comments
its the first game, no point panicking. So much for development of a squad..., everyone wants instant success and wants to forget about the youth of today when it comes to the big teams. Arsenal don't have the loose change that City/Chelsea have to gamble on Suarez who is a mental liability to spend 50mil on, The gunners have to be VERY precise on who the dollars are spent on. The 70-90 mil they have needs to be spent on players wenger knows who can make it big AT ARSENAL as opposed to taking a multi million dollar gamble on a player who is big now and EVERYONE automatically assumes that superstar will do the same at another club. so many factors people never take into account.

Yes Arsenal have gone this long without silverware, but in the BIG picture at arsenal, that isn't enough of reason to sack Wenger, The silverware will come very soon!

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Or another way to look at it,

UP THE VILLA!!!!!!!!!

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

# 9 wrote:

its the first game, no point panicking. So much for development of a squad..., everyone wants instant success and wants to forget about the youth of today when it comes to the big teams. Arsenal don't have the loose change that City/Chelsea have to gamble on Suarez who is a mental liability to spend 50mil on, The gunners have to be VERY precise on who the dollars are spent on. The 70-90 mil they have needs to be spent on players wenger knows who can make it big AT ARSENAL as opposed to taking a multi million dollar gamble on a player who is big now and EVERYONE automatically assumes that superstar will do the same at another club. so many factors people never take into account.

Yes Arsenal have gone this long without silverware, but in the BIG picture at arsenal, that isn't enough of reason to sack Wenger, The silverware will come very soon!
if they dont buy anyone, i doubt it

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

paul merson wrote:Or another way to look at it,

UP THE VILLA!!!!!!!!!

:P

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

That's not very loyal of you. He's a great manager and should stay at Arsenal for years to come. :wink:

By the time he retires in 10 years, Arsenal should have well over £100m to spend, not that you'll need it when you can sign stars like Sanogo for free :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

UP THE VILLA!!!!!!!!!
Haven't heard that for a while :wink:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

I can see them not making the UCL group stage. Fenerbache at $3 Wednesday night looking like a steal of a bet.

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

actually looking at Fenerbache's result last night, might have to reconsider that :lol:

http://au.soccerway.com/matches/2013/08 ... u/1532528/

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

You Goonie fans might be interested in this blog (those of you that can read :wink: ), very popular with the unwashed in England.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk
Danny Blanchflower

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

# 9 wrote:

I disagree. I think that arsenal have enough money to bring in 4-5 very good players and haven't seemed that desperate to bring in talent apart from Suarez which they wouldn't have gotten even if they offered more than 40 mill + 1.
Also as for the development, it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't sell players. Arsenal need to spend quick. They need depth urgently. Their first 11 is very good but apart from that, they aren't too flash. Their fans want success. It's been too long of a wait for them.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Their first XI is not 'very good' at all. Szcezsny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen (arguably),Ramsey, & Giroud can all be easily improved upon.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The Kings Jesta »

UP THE VILLA!!!!!!!!!
I would look, but that Villa away strip... :?: :!:

Would be interesting to see who the Arsenal "supporters" feel would be good to bring in? If they feel that Suarez for 40-50m is the go (and they only have 70m to spend) I think they're not really addressing the real issues Arsenal have. They need a new CB and GK. Hummels or Sakho is where they should be looking, maybe even Papadopoulos, then start looking to the attacking 3rd. Carzola and Podolski started on bench after international duty, will be different with them in from the start. They should have gone for Mario Gomez if they really wanted a ST, very good goals record, big enough to play in EPL, technical enough to play at Arsenal, and was on the cheaper side (reportedly 17m).
The fact that they were beaten comfortably by Villa after scoring so easily so early on shows the lack of defensive fortitude that made Arsenal so successful, culminating in the 2003/04 invincible's.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

When was the last time arsenal won their opening game of the season?
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

El Paso del Norte wrote:When was the last time arsenal won their opening game of the season?
not sure about last season but pretty sure they've pumped WBA and Everton in opening day fixtures recently

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

BowTiesAreCool wrote:Their first XI is not 'very good' at all. Szcezsny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen (arguably),Ramsey, & Giroud can all be easily improved upon.
Spot on its not very good at all yet Wenger sees things differently! Can't believe above he says he hasn't been able to find anybody better to add to our squad

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote:
BowTiesAreCool wrote:Their first XI is not 'very good' at all. Szcezsny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen (arguably),Ramsey, & Giroud can all be easily improved upon.
Spot on its not very good at all yet Wenger sees things differently! Can't believe above he says he hasn't been able to find anybody better to add to our squad
Turncoat, get behind your manager and support him.
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Nice One Cyril wrote:
haywood djablowme wrote:
Turncoat, get behind your manager and support him.
Cyril i support Wenger & i was also singing in my lounge this morning with the 60k Gooners @ the Emirates 'spend some shiraz money'

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Koscielnyhas been a liability forever how he continues to start is beyond me. So many stupid rash challenges and errors that have cost arsenal a heap of points over the years. Until they get two good centre backs , a strong Dm and gun striker they will not challenge for anything. These deficiencies have been glaring for far too long now without any action being taken by Arsene Wenger.
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

The Kings Jesta wrote:

UP THE VILLA!!!!!!!!!

Would be interesting to see who the Arsenal "supporters" feel would be good to bring in? If they feel that Suarez for 40-50m is the go (and they only have 70m to spend) I think they're not really addressing the real issues Arsenal have. They need a new CB and GK. Hummels or Sakho is where they should be looking, maybe even Papadopoulos, then start looking to the attacking 3rd. Carzola and Podolski started on bench after international duty, will be different with them in from the start. They should have gone for Mario Gomez if they really wanted a ST, very good goals record, big enough to play in EPL, technical enough to play at Arsenal, and was on the cheaper side (reportedly 17m).
The fact that they were beaten comfortably by Villa after scoring so easily so early on shows the lack of defensive fortitude that made Arsenal so successful, culminating in the 2003/04 invincible's.
After last seasons high viz green kits I really did think they'd struggle to out do them, turns out they did!

shiraz black currant quarters, unbelievable.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

And thats not the worst of it, wait until you see Guzans other kit, fk me.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

paul merson wrote:And thats not the worst of it, wait until you see Guzans other kit, fk me.

I doubt it

:lol:

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

bubu wrote:
paul merson wrote:And thats not the worst of it, wait until you see Guzans other kit, fk me.

I doubt it

Or Napoli's 3rd kit, thats horrific too

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Black Scarf Arsenal Fans wrote:Dear Ivan,

We write to you as Arsenal’s largest and fastest growing supporters’ group, to convey our deep concern at the current state of our team going into the new season.

In early June, around season ticket renewal time, you were widely quoted following your Q&A event where you spoke about the club’s new financial firepower and ambition moving forward. Many fans saw this as the club finally about to break free from the shackles of moving stadium; new commercial deals were coming into place, we had a vast amount of cash available in the bank, profit from the Queensland Road property project was secured, the vast increase in TV revenue was about to land on our doorstep, and after treading water since moving from Highbury it seemed as if we were finally going to push on.

What has happened since then is nothing short of a disgrace.

There have been noises coming out of the club over the summer that the market was slow, that other clubs weren’t doing much, and that things take time if you’re after top quality players. We feel all of these were poor excuses, designed to deflect focus away from our shortcomings.

The only positive of the summer has been the release of many players who were generally considered ‘dead wood’ – and naturally this frees up more cash for investment in the team. But with the departure of these players, virtually no movement has come in the opposite direction and we’re now left with a squad severely lacking in depth and experience. Indeed, the squad registered for the Champions League in the last week had to be padded out with kids.

As a group we have been concerned for some time that the Board running our club has lost sight of the raison d'être i.e. we are Arsenal Football Club; not a business purely focused on posting profits year after year.

You will have seen the results of our end of season survey, which came out in favour of Arsene Wenger but with 70% stating that he has too much control over transfer negotiations and setting of wage levels at the club. The same survey revealed that 87% of fans feel the current Board of Arsenal is out of touch with the feeling among fans, and that 73% feel less valued by the club since we moved stadium.

It is our view as a group that the Board of Arsenal is too relaxed about the competitiveness of our team, and that as long as a top four place is secured, it is a case of ‘job done’. This should never be the case but despite hearing you say you’re not happy every time we end a season with nothing to really cheer about, nothing changes.

So in June following your statement of intent, fans were rightly hopeful but what has happened since then? Yet again we’ve spent the summer dithering while others around us have strengthened, and once more we start the season playing catch-up. With five competitive matches due before the transfer window closes, there is every chance that our season could be dealt a hammer blow before we’ve had a chance to take stock, and this weekend’s defeat at home to Aston Villa should act as a huge wake-up call.

We are now in a situation where we’re faced with a carbon copy of 2011, where it took an 8-2 humiliation at Manchester United to force a ‘trolley dash’ on the final day of the transfer window. Of course by then it was too late. For Arsenal to be in that situation once is unacceptable; for it to happen twice in three years will be unforgivable.

It is imperative that the Board of Arsenal does its job and manages the Manager – an employee of the club you are supposed to be running. What are Arsene Wenger's targets / KPIs set by the Board every year? Is the he not even answerable to the Board, with free rein to do as he pleases as long as he helps the business achieve a profit? Is he having to do all the running himself when it comes to transfers or if support is there, is he taking it? Clarity is required here because something clearly isn't right at the club when it comes to the acquisition of new players.

You put all the focus on the Arsene Wenger yourself at that Q&A session in June, but to fans there is little evidence of questions being asked of him; this despite approaching the end of the transfer window with no sign of needed, established quality coming in. Does the Board feel that it’s been a good summer? Because we’ve now lost our opening game of the season, our squad is already blitzed by injury, once more today there were fans coming to blows in the stands. As a Board member, does this even bother you?

Of course if we used the funds we do have available, brought in top quality players and competed for prizes, in would come better commercial deals, you wouldn’t have as much trouble trying to get corporate punters back into the stadium, and naturally the more successful we are it becomes easier to attract better players. Or is the Board too short-sighted to realise this?

A competitive team isn’t one which scrapes the position of 4th best team in the league on the final day of the season and gets dumped out of domestic cup competitions by lower league opposition; you need to realise that most fans are aware of this fact. They’re not duped by finishing in a position which may result in us playing in the Champions League. So what, if the cash from that competition is simply banked and never sees the light of day?

It should be noted that as long term fans of The Arsenal we’ve seen plenty of lean times and poor teams over the years. Silverware isn’t the be all and end all; we follow this club out of pure love and will always do so. However, loyal matchgoing fans continue to walk away from Emirates Stadium, unwilling to part with their hard-earned cash when they feel let down and lied to by our Board. We pay the highest ticket prices in football after being sold a dream, but it’s always a case of ‘jam tomorrow’ and many have seen through the spin.

Enough is enough.

If the Board is actually intent on making Arsenal a successful force in football once again, changes have to be made. Arsene Wenger should have experienced, qualified support to help bring in top quality players, and he needs to be managed effectively if the right business isn't being done.

Or if the Board is simply intent on milking the Arsenal brand for all its worth to the detriment of the team (but to the benefit of our bank account), season ticket prices at Emirates Stadium should be reduced accordingly. Our loyal fans should no longer have to bear the burden after doing so for many years.

Make no mistake, if there is not significant improvement in our playing squad over the next couple of weeks, the rapidly growing anger in the stands will become difficult to overturn. There hasn't been a poisonous atmosphere like this at Arsenal for over 30 years and the Board has simply stood by, while things have gone from bad to worse. I am sure you appreciate, this can no longer happen.

We look forward to your response in due course.

Yours faithfully,

Where Has Our Arsenal Gone (the Black Scarf Movement)
Look forward to the last minute shopping spree :lol:

Not a bad letter though.
Danny Blanchflower

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

paul merson wrote:
bubu wrote:

I doubt it

Or Napoli's 3rd kit, thats horrific too

Disagree, I think its rather nice!
the yellow 3rd strip is very very very good!

if ur referring to the away strip, the camo top looks awesome, especially if u find urself in afghanistan or iraq!

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Black Scarf Arsenal Fans wrote:Dear Ivan,

We write to you as Arsenal’s largest and fastest growing supporters’ group, to convey our deep concern at the current state of our team going into the new season.

In early June, around season ticket renewal time, you were widely quoted following your Q&A event where you spoke about the club’s new financial firepower and ambition moving forward. Many fans saw this as the club finally about to break free from the shackles of moving stadium; new commercial deals were coming into place, we had a vast amount of cash available in the bank, profit from the Queensland Road property project was secured, the vast increase in TV revenue was about to land on our doorstep, and after treading water since moving from Highbury it seemed as if we were finally going to push on.

What has happened since then is nothing short of a disgrace.

There have been noises coming out of the club over the summer that the market was slow, that other clubs weren’t doing much, and that things take time if you’re after top quality players. We feel all of these were poor excuses, designed to deflect focus away from our shortcomings.

The only positive of the summer has been the release of many players who were generally considered ‘dead wood’ – and naturally this frees up more cash for investment in the team. But with the departure of these players, virtually no movement has come in the opposite direction and we’re now left with a squad severely lacking in depth and experience. Indeed, the squad registered for the Champions League in the last week had to be padded out with kids.

As a group we have been concerned for some time that the Board running our club has lost sight of the raison d'être i.e. we are Arsenal Football Club; not a business purely focused on posting profits year after year.

You will have seen the results of our end of season survey, which came out in favour of Arsene Wenger but with 70% stating that he has too much control over transfer negotiations and setting of wage levels at the club. The same survey revealed that 87% of fans feel the current Board of Arsenal is out of touch with the feeling among fans, and that 73% feel less valued by the club since we moved stadium.

It is our view as a group that the Board of Arsenal is too relaxed about the competitiveness of our team, and that as long as a top four place is secured, it is a case of ‘job done’. This should never be the case but despite hearing you say you’re not happy every time we end a season with nothing to really cheer about, nothing changes.

So in June following your statement of intent, fans were rightly hopeful but what has happened since then? Yet again we’ve spent the summer dithering while others around us have strengthened, and once more we start the season playing catch-up. With five competitive matches due before the transfer window closes, there is every chance that our season could be dealt a hammer blow before we’ve had a chance to take stock, and this weekend’s defeat at home to Aston Villa should act as a huge wake-up call.

We are now in a situation where we’re faced with a carbon copy of 2011, where it took an 8-2 humiliation at Manchester United to force a ‘trolley dash’ on the final day of the transfer window. Of course by then it was too late. For Arsenal to be in that situation once is unacceptable; for it to happen twice in three years will be unforgivable.

It is imperative that the Board of Arsenal does its job and manages the Manager – an employee of the club you are supposed to be running. What are Arsene Wenger's targets / KPIs set by the Board every year? Is the he not even answerable to the Board, with free rein to do as he pleases as long as he helps the business achieve a profit? Is he having to do all the running himself when it comes to transfers or if support is there, is he taking it? Clarity is required here because something clearly isn't right at the club when it comes to the acquisition of new players.

You put all the focus on the Arsene Wenger yourself at that Q&A session in June, but to fans there is little evidence of questions being asked of him; this despite approaching the end of the transfer window with no sign of needed, established quality coming in. Does the Board feel that it’s been a good summer? Because we’ve now lost our opening game of the season, our squad is already blitzed by injury, once more today there were fans coming to blows in the stands. As a Board member, does this even bother you?

Of course if we used the funds we do have available, brought in top quality players and competed for prizes, in would come better commercial deals, you wouldn’t have as much trouble trying to get corporate punters back into the stadium, and naturally the more successful we are it becomes easier to attract better players. Or is the Board too short-sighted to realise this?

A competitive team isn’t one which scrapes the position of 4th best team in the league on the final day of the season and gets dumped out of domestic cup competitions by lower league opposition; you need to realise that most fans are aware of this fact. They’re not duped by finishing in a position which may result in us playing in the Champions League. So what, if the cash from that competition is simply banked and never sees the light of day?

It should be noted that as long term fans of The Arsenal we’ve seen plenty of lean times and poor teams over the years. Silverware isn’t the be all and end all; we follow this club out of pure love and will always do so. However, loyal matchgoing fans continue to walk away from Emirates Stadium, unwilling to part with their hard-earned cash when they feel let down and lied to by our Board. We pay the highest ticket prices in football after being sold a dream, but it’s always a case of ‘jam tomorrow’ and many have seen through the spin.

Enough is enough.

If the Board is actually intent on making Arsenal a successful force in football once again, changes have to be made. Arsene Wenger should have experienced, qualified support to help bring in top quality players, and he needs to be managed effectively if the right business isn't being done.

Or if the Board is simply intent on milking the Arsenal brand for all its worth to the detriment of the team (but to the benefit of our bank account), season ticket prices at Emirates Stadium should be reduced accordingly. Our loyal fans should no longer have to bear the burden after doing so for many years.

Make no mistake, if there is not significant improvement in our playing squad over the next couple of weeks, the rapidly growing anger in the stands will become difficult to overturn. There hasn't been a poisonous atmosphere like this at Arsenal for over 30 years and the Board has simply stood by, while things have gone from bad to worse. I am sure you appreciate, this can no longer happen.

We look forward to your response in due course.

Yours faithfully,

Where Has Our Arsenal Gone (the Black Scarf Movement)
Look forward to the last minute shopping spree :lol:

Not a bad letter though.
I'm sure there's an English bubu out there on a forum right now saying what a load of rubbish that letter is...
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

paul merson wrote:
The Kings Jesta wrote:

UP THE VILLA!!!!!!!!!

After last seasons high viz green kits I really did think they'd struggle to out do them, turns out they did!

shiraz black currant quarters, unbelievable.
I actually found myself loving Villa's new away kit. If you want to see some piss poor kits, check out Liverpool's away and 3rd kits. :(
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I reckon this out does the ribena kits

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

paul merson wrote:I reckon this out does the ribena kits