Liverpool 2013/14

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Liverpool 2013/14

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Lucas apparently out for up to 2 months with medial ligament damage. It's getting to that stage of the season when squads become more important than teams.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

I agree, but interestingly we played some great football without SG, and have not been as good with him back.

We also got good results without Luis at the beginning of the season.

I would say a lot is down to selection...now Adebayor is being picked you are doing better Cyril.

Telson11
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Telson11 »

If Arsenal beat Manchester City this Saturday, Liverpool have a chance to win this season's title
Get discount cheap soccer jerseys online

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

If Man City beat Arsenal this week, Liverpool have a chance to with the title.

Liverpool won't win 14 games in a row which is the minimum they will most likely need to win it.

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The Kings Jesta »

I would love more than anything to win the title this year (especially having a best mate of 20+ years as a Man U supporter), but this one is City's to lose. With only LFC at Anfield as a real test (Arsenal are showing they are not a real test any more), and majority of their games with some of the bottom teams, to go with 2 games in hand. If we can win at home vs City, and take the points we should the we are a very real chance, but even with City losing against us, I can't see them dropping any other games at this time of the year with so much to play for.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Everton at Woodison won't be easy for City.

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

City at Everton, agreed won't be "easy", but not the type of challenge required to deny them of all 3 points... probably the first time in my life I'm barracking for Everton though...

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Huge results for us! Absolute must win tonight.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

totsreds08 wrote:Huge results for us! Absolute must win tonight.
Oh yeah....then City and Chelsea await next month. Beat them both and you would think we may run away with it but I'm not going to get too excited until we win (hopefully) tonight

Stonthialo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Stonthialo »

Another dominant display by the reds. 4-0 vs the Spuds. Sherwood still believes that Man City are favourites for the title and to a certain degree we should agree, but dream we do. Better to have points in the bank at this time of the year.
Σκατά στα μουτρα σου

Telson11
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Telson11 »

Thanks, Chelsea, they sold Sturridge to us as we sold Torres to them.
Get discount cheap soccer jerseys online

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Telson, you need to get with it, your out with timings.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Digger wrote:Telson, you need to get with it, your out with timings.
The man is on a mission - he has soccer jerseys to sell.
Time for some righteous indignation

Del Boca Vista
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Del Boca Vista »

we love you Liverpool we do

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

One thing it would be good to get your thoughts on, which Stevie G song do you like the best:

The Classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVt-NszDtI

Or the New:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjPbTNLn0Zc

unfortunately couldn't find a match day new song on youtube for a "fair" comparison, but what are your thoughts?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Things seem to be falling into place for them this year. Even the refs want them to win :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ahemmmm

The equalizer was never a goal. In our day you could do that to 'keepers, but in modern football it was a foul.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Things seem to be falling into place for them this year. Even the refs want them to win :wink:
I agree!!! I didn't know you were allowed to smack the keeper in the head when he was catching the ball from a corner... The more you know :wink:

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

1 cup final down 5 to go.
Solid win against a team that had 1 shot on target – the "goal".

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

The Kop wrote:1 cup final down 5 to go.
AC's header was close enough for me to think it was on target.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Digger wrote:
The Kop wrote:1 cup final down 5 to go.
AC's header was close enough for me to think it was on target.
Statistically still isn't a shot on target... :wink:

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Things seem to be falling into place for them this year. Even the refs want them to win :wink:
I agree!!! I didn't know you were allowed to smack the keeper in the head when he was catching the ball from a corner... The more you know :wink:
Don't think it was (just) the hit on the head that made Mignolet lose the ball - it looked like Carroll connected with the inside of his elbow too, which took one of his hands away from the ball.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

These last 5 weeks of the season will not be good for my heart! MUST beat City and it'll be a pinky finger on the trophy

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Ok I know its silly season but without getting caught up too much and turning it into fantasy football I’d like to see this quality brought in with the 60m plus sales (lowest figure 25m) as referred to by BR. Obviously you don’t get all your first targets and amount may vary but just going on approximates.

Of those available and currently linked IN I’d like to see ONE of each position of the following:

Goalkeeper
Marshall (Cardiff 5m) or Worm (Swansea 5m) a back up who can compete with Mignolet

Left Back
Moreno (Sevilla 12-15m) or Cole (Free)

Centre Back
Lovren (Southampton 12-15m) or Caulker (Cardiff 9m)

Central Defensive Midfield
Mascherano (Barcelona 8-10m), Diame (West Ham 4-6m) or Can (Bayer Leverkusen 10m)

Central Midfield
Lallana (Southampton 20m) or Barkley (35m)

Wide Midfield/Forward
Shaqiri (Bayern Munich 15-18m) or Konoplyanka (Dnipro 15-18m)

Forward
Remy (QPR 10-15m), Lukaku (Chelsea 20m) or Benteke (Villa 15-20m)

OUTS (Sales)
Moses and Cissokho back to their respective clubs from loan

Reina 3m
Agger 10m-15m
Levia 6-8m
Aspas 5-6m
Other fringe players who don’t want to be there

Who do other Liverpool supporters like to see added to the current squad :?:

If you support another club and have got nothing constructive to add create your own teams post :idea:

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

All due respect, that is football manager-esque.

Diame is not a defensive midfielder. Barkley is never in a million years going to happen. Remy, Lukaku, & Benteke would not suit our team at all.

Also, why would we sell a quality player like Lucas (who doesn't want to leave, & we don't need to sell) for as little as 6-8m? I wouldn't take a cent less than 15 million, and that's if he wants to leave. You don't sell a quality player in a position where your only other option is a 34 year old with a so-so injury record.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Football manageresque but all player who we've been linked with so potentialyy realistic. If i'd have gone Hummels, Kroos, and Sanchez then thats more fantasy football imo.

I'll accept the diame call however the rest is just your opinion, so tell me how and why those strikers don't fit in, neither are one dimensional like Andy Carroll.

Everton sold Rooney years ago for 25 so why not Barkley now for 35m plus a Suso or Aspas.

Personally I'd prefer Mascherano back over Lucas.

Happy to have a discussion backing my reasoning of why if the argumentfor why not is more than they don't fit in, how don't they fit etc.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Do we need a striker? Or many attacking players at all? We still have Ibe, Suso and Borini as backup for our front 3 positions. Bring in a centre midfielder, perhaps an attacking midfielder for depth too. A new fullback and centre back would go alright too.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

totsreds08 wrote:Do we need a striker? Or many attacking players at all? We still have Ibe, Suso and Borini as backup for our front 3 positions. Bring in a centre midfielder, perhaps an attacking midfielder for depth too. A new fullback and centre back would go alright too.
I see what your saying but are those players going to give us the squad to compete on all fronts (UCL and League)remmebering we only had the league to worry about this year :?:

Those players may be Ok for league cup and fa cup and subs for the others but looking at who we are trying to compete with in City and Chelsea we need to match their swuad depth in my opinion.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Gabon wrote:
totsreds08 wrote:Do we need a striker? Or many attacking players at all? We still have Ibe, Suso and Borini as backup for our front 3 positions. Bring in a centre midfielder, perhaps an attacking midfielder for depth too. A new fullback and centre back would go alright too.
I see what your saying but are those players going to give us the squad to compete on all fronts (UCL and League)remmebering we only had the league to worry about this year :?:

Those players may be Ok for league cup and fa cup and subs for the others but looking at who we are trying to compete with in City and Chelsea we need to match their swuad depth in my opinion.
Another Striker would certainly help. I would be pretty worried if Suarez and Sturridge were unavailable at the same time.

At left back I would bring in Cole as he is a very experience free-transfer, on the proviso that he doesn't want more than say 70k per week.

Another passer in midfield would be handy.

Spending money on a back up keeper wouldn't be prudent in my opinion as Jones is fine for the 5-6 games a year that he has to play.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Gabon wrote:Football manageresque but all player who we've been linked with so potentialyy realistic. If i'd have gone Hummels, Kroos, and Sanchez then thats more fantasy football imo.

I'll accept the diame call however the rest is just your opinion, so tell me how and why those strikers don't fit in, neither are one dimensional like Andy Carroll.

Everton sold Rooney years ago for 25 so why not Barkley now for 35m plus a Suso or Aspas.

Personally I'd prefer Mascherano back over Lucas.

Happy to have a discussion backing my reasoning of why if the argumentfor why not is more than they don't fit in, how don't they fit etc.
They're weak links at best though. Think Sanchez is closer to the mark than some of the players you mentioned honestly.

Benteke isn't one dimensional, but he'd cost too much to essentially be a bit part player. Lukaku is in a similar boat, he wouldn't displace Suarez or Sturridge, he'd cost an arm and a leg, and Chelsea will be very reluctant to sell us anyone now that we're genuine rivals again. As for Remy, I just don't rate him. I prefer Borini.

Everton won't sell us anyone either. They're not in a financial position where they need to sell, and you can guarantee if they do decide to, there will be plenty of suitors. He's a good player, with a huge ceiling, but it's just not realistic.

As for Masch, I'd love to see him come back. If he does though, my guess is he would primarily be battling it out for a central midfield role, not the holding one. Our current system allows Gerrard to be our distributor, with plenty of space and time on the ball, but he needs protection from the two midfielders in front of him, which is where Masch comes in. If he comes back, my money is on him lining up alongside Henderson in front of Gerrard. It's not dissimilar to his role under Rafa really, he was never a conventional holding midfielder, he played the destroyer role alongside Alonso who sat, similar to how he'd play this time around in front of Gerrard. Him coming in will have very little impact on our decision regarding Lucas I think.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)