England U20

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

England U20

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

GIAE, I know you don't rate the U20 World Cup, but finishing bottom???

Surely you should be beating countries like Egypt, Iraq and Chile at this level!
Formerly known as El Paso del Norte

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: England U20

Post by God is an Englishman »

Did't even know it was on.

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

England U20 haven't registered a win in 18 U20 world cup matches :shock:
Feel Good Inc.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

El Capitano wrote:England U20 haven't registered a win in 18 U20 world cup matches :shock:
England youth programs really working now................not!!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
El Capitano wrote:England U20 haven't registered a win in 18 U20 world cup matches :shock:

:lol:

Did you leave England when you were very young as your understanding of English football is so minimal.

As I tell you everytime, most people in England don't care about under age tournaments. Look at the side that plays in in.

I didn't even know this tournament was on, personally I'd prefer that if Millwall had players in it then they'd be enjoying their rest before pre season kicks in and not off on some foreign jolly. Where is the tournament anyway?

bob saget
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bob saget »

God is an Englishman wrote: most people in England don't care about under age tournaments.

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

God is an Englishman wrote:
As I tell you everytime, most people in England don't care about under age tournaments.
reading the BBC sport website, the failure of the U20s is the most commented on article by a mile.

anyway, I hope youre right, wouldn't mind seeing more senior England mediocrity in the future years.
Formerly known as El Paso del Norte

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ciudad Juarez wrote:
As I tell you everytime, most people in England don't care about under age tournaments.
reading the BBC sport website, the failure of the U20s is the most commented on article by a mile.

anyway, I hope youre right, wouldn't mind seeing more senior England mediocrity in the future years.

you can comment on the BBC website?

my facebook in the last week is inundated with Lions comments but not one u20 world cup comment.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Ciudad Juarez wrote:

Don't worry with an ever declining number of English players in the EPL, England fans wont have to worry about senior tournaments either.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Ciudad Juarez wrote:

Don't worry with an ever declining number of English players in the EPL, England fans wont have to worry about senior tournaments either.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Think it’s interesting that you have Andy Rose listed. Has made good strides this year at Seattle, and seems to be investigating Australian citizenship so he can play for the Socceroos (country of his birth) – perhaps even as soon as WC 2014.

Andy Rose????

he was listed as a midfield player in an 'alternative' England team that failed miserably at the U21 Euro...anyone heard of him???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Del Boca Vista
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Del Boca Vista »

I was watching because it's football and Coady is captain, but England were pretty ordinary.. Egypt were a better team, so were Norway, they weren't too impressive.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

ozzie owl wrote:
Ciudad Juarez wrote:

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

ozzie owl wrote:

Did you leave England when you were very young as your understanding of English football is so minimal.

As I tell you everytime, most people in England don't care about under age tournaments. Look at the side that plays in in.

I didn't even know this tournament was on, personally I'd prefer that if Millwall had players in it then they'd be enjoying their rest before pre season kicks in and not off on some foreign jolly. Where is the tournament anyway?
That says it all about your patriotism, you would rather support a circus team playing rather than your own country.
It's all in the Delivery!

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

:roll:

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

FYI

U19's didn't qualify
U20's bottom of their group
U21 bottom of their group.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:
That says it all about your patriotism, you would rather support a circus team playing rather than your own country.
circus team?

If my country were playing in a meaningful game, then that's a different matter.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Read the last player to score a winner at that level for Eng was Michael Owen.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

The Kop wrote:Read the last player to score a winner at that level for Eng was Michael Owen.
1997 YWC Malaysia - A tournament that also had - Gallas, Henry, Trezeguet, Cambiasso, Samuel, Riquelme, Aimar, Salapasidis

This bloke would be half funny if he made up his mind.

First he loves england then he doesnt care if they are playing in a tournament, then he cares about the lions which is basically an inbred selection (who lost I think?)

I think he is confused.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:
The Kop wrote:Read the last player to score a winner at that level for Eng was Michael Owen.
1997 YWC Malaysia - A tournament that also had - Gallas, Henry, Trezeguet, Cambiasso, Samuel, Riquelme, Aimar, Salapasidis

First he loves england then he doesnt care if they are playing in a tournament, then he cares about the lions which is basically an inbred selection (who lost I think?)

I think he is confused.
I have said all along that I don't care about under age tournaments.

All they are is to prove who has the best kids not good enough for a higher level. If they're that good then they will be in the senior side.

As for the Lions - yes it's 1-1 and I'm looking forward to sydney. I don't understand why you're confused anyway, they're not an underage side.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

El Pibe D'Oro wrote:

I think he is confused.
I have said all along that I don't care about under age tournaments.

All they are is to prove who has the best kids not good enough for a higher level. If they're that good then they will be in the senior side.

As for the Lions - yes it's 1-1 and I'm looking forward to sydney. I don't understand why you're confused anyway, they're not an underage side.
ozzie owl wrote: Don't worry with an ever declining number of English players in the EPL, England fans wont have to worry about senior tournaments either.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

One of the biggest reasons for the lack of development of young English players is that not enough people there care about it.

They still believe that the cream will rise to the top naturally.

When I moved to France to play professionally at 17 I learnt more about football in my first week there than I had learnt in the previous 17 in England.

The French coaching system was light years ahead of anything I ever imagined the UK - that was when the first black players were starting to move to France from it's former colonies and was an exciting time to be a young player.

I made many lifelong friends among the French & Colonial players and learnt many new skills along the way.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Yeah, but that was 70 years ago!! :lol: :lol:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Scudamore who is the English FA CEO says that the Premier League is not to blame for the demise of young English talent.

Head in sand attitude typical of the English FA.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:Scudamore who is the English FA CEO says that the Premier League is not to blame for the demise of young English talent.

Head in sand attitude typical of the English FA.
He's right though, it's about the EU and political not just the premier league.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Old Master wrote:One of the biggest reasons for the lack of development of young English players is that not enough people there care about it.

They still believe that the cream will rise to the top naturally.

When I moved to France to play professionally at 17 I learnt more about football in my first week there than I had learnt in the previous 17 in England.

The French coaching system was light years ahead of anything I ever imagined the UK - that was when the first black players were starting to move to France from it's former colonies and was an exciting time to be a young player.

I made many lifelong friends among the French & Colonial players and learnt many new skills along the way.
But then who won the Next Gen comp this season? (As Im asking Im sure everyone can guess who!!)

Would be worth checking out the level of English players in their academies.

Also under 20's semis
Korea
Ghana
Chile
Iraq

Are these going to be the dominent force in world football in the years to come?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

had to look it up as I've never even heard of the tournament, with what looks like mostly English players as well :D

Didn't realise Lowry came through your academy, one of my favourite players at the moment.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Poor junior coaching is a part of the problem in England , technically young English players have fallen many footballing countries. Clubs choose to invest on foreign players maybe for time so quality youth coaches from overseas.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

ozzie owl wrote:Poor junior coaching is a part of the problem in England , technically young English players have fallen many footballing countries. Clubs choose to invest on foreign players maybe for time so quality youth coaches from overseas.
England has a very low % of Pro coaches in comparison to the likes of Spain, Italy, Germany, which means there's not many pro coaches to coach youth, I believe if all English clubs took on english pro coaches there would be barely any left for YT's ect, also meaning you'd get the coaching merry go round and cabernet managers getting gigs because there's no one else, they need to improve the number of pro coaches ASAP and get them developing players.

But in the Next Gen comp, the european cup for academies, English sides did quite well, in fact the final was all english, one reason I have heard is that your Barca's ect are all about player development and not winning at that age, but then everyone on here is criticising England for not winning at the under 20's?

Englands big problem is they cant rule EU players as foreigners so with out pulling out of the EU they cant bring in an effective 7 & 4 (or what ever ratio you think it should be) ruling, as they already have a limit on foreigners and clearly thats not having any effect.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:Englands big problem is they cant rule EU players as foreigners so with out pulling out of the EU they cant bring in an effective 7 & 4 (or what ever ratio you think it should be) ruling, as they already have a limit on foreigners and clearly thats not having any effect.

100% agree!

and that's part of the reason why I'm voting to get out of the EU at the next election.

Oh and 9+2 ratio is fine by me. 2 non English is plenty. I'd start with a much lower one (maybe even as low as the reverse) and increase by 1 player a season.