Ballon D’Or

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Ballon D’Or

Post by getborn »

Italy skipper and Real Madrid defender Fabio Cannavaro won the coveted trophy, however what was less expected was the wide margin that separated Cannavaro from 2nd placed Juventus keeper (and former Cannavaro teammate)Gianluigi Buffon.

3rd in line came Arsenal’s king Thierry Henry.

France legend Zinedine Zidane, who retired from football after the World Cup final lost by les Blues in which he was sent off for the famous head-butt at Materazzi’s chest, came in 5th.

Here is how the 50 nominees placed, with the respective votes they gathered.

1. Cannavaro (Italy/Real Madrid) 173 votes
2. Buffon (Italy/Juventus) 124
3. Henry (France/Arsenal) 121
4. Ronaldinho (Brazil/Barcelona) 73
5. Zidane (France) 71
6. Eto'o (Cameroon/Barcellona) 67
7. Klose (Germany/Werder) 29
8. Drogba (Ivory Coast/Chelsea) 25
9. Pirlo (Italy/Milan) 17
10. Lehmann (Germany/Arsenal) 13
11. Deco (Portugal/Barcelona) e Kakà (Brazil/Milan) 11
13. Ribery (France/Marseille) 9
14. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Manchester Utd), Gattuso (Italy/Milan) Vieira (France/Inter) 5
17. Lampard (England/Chelsea), Podolski (Germany/Bayern), Puyol (Spain/Barcelona) 3
20. Juninho Pernambucano (Brazil/Lyon), Messi (Argentina/Barcelona), Terry (England/Chelsea), Toni (Italy/Fiorentina) e Zambrotta (Italy/Barcelona) 2
25. Lahm (Germany/Bayern Munich) e Villa (Spain/Valencia) 1

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Ballon D’Or

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

getborn wrote:Italy skipper and Real Madrid defender Fabio Cannavaro won the coveted trophy, however what was less expected was the wide margin that separated Cannavaro from 2nd placed Juventus keeper (and former Cannavaro teammate)Gianluigi Buffon.

3rd in line came Arsenal’s king Thierry Henry.

France legend Zinedine Zidane, who retired from football after the World Cup final lost by les Blues in which he was sent off for the famous head-butt at Materazzi’s chest, came in 5th.

Here is how the 50 nominees placed, with the respective votes they gathered.

1. Cannavaro (Italy/Real Madrid) 173 votes
2. Buffon (Italy/Juventus) 124
3. Henry (France/Arsenal) 121
4. Ronaldinho (Brazil/Barcelona) 73
5. Zidane (France) 71
6. Eto'o (Cameroon/Barcellona) 67
7. Klose (Germany/Werder) 29
8. Drogba (Ivory Coast/Chelsea) 25
9. Pirlo (Italy/Milan) 17
10. Lehmann (Germany/Arsenal) 13
11. Deco (Portugal/Barcelona) e Kakà (Brazil/Milan) 11
13. Ribery (France/Marseille) 9
14. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Manchester Utd), Gattuso (Italy/Milan) Vieira (France/Inter) 5
17. Lampard (England/Chelsea), Podolski (Germany/Bayern), Puyol (Spain/Barcelona) 3
20. Juninho Pernambucano (Brazil/Lyon), Messi (Argentina/Barcelona), Terry (England/Chelsea), Toni (Italy/Fiorentina) e Zambrotta (Italy/Barcelona) 2
25. Lahm (Germany/Bayern Munich) e Villa (Spain/Valencia) 1

Bravo

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

italy 1 and 2!

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

He should take the trophy to the San Paolo and to the streets of Naples to celebrate with his paesani.

What an absolute legend of the game.

CANNAVARO SCOOPS BALLON D'OR
Posted 27/11/06 18:40EmailPrintSave

Italy's World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro has been named European Footballer of the Year.

The Real Madrid defender beat countryman and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon into second place - with Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry third - to win France Football magazine's prestigious Ballon D'Or.

Last year's winner Ronaldinho, the Barcelona and Brazil playmaker, was fourth.

Former Juventus man Cannavaro, the first Italian to win the award since Roberto Baggio 13 years ago, said: "My season at Juventus was just outstanding. I played 37 matches and scored four goals, all decisive.

"It is late recognition for our World Cup victory.

It is thanks to my Italy team-mates that I have been able to show my qualities on the pitch. I want to thank my Juve team-mates too.

"I would like to show the trophy to Naples as it is a very special city, where I grew up. I used to play football in the streets of Naples.

"I would love to show it to the kids who are in difficulty over there."

The award is normally given to forwards or midfielders, making the centre-back's achievement in polling 173 votes from European football journalists to win the prize, even more notable.

The 33-year-old had an impeccable World Cup as he led Italy to glory in Germany, not once collecting so much as a yellow card as the Azzurri conceded just two goals in seven matches.

His tussle with Henry in the final was particularly memorable and, on the night of his 100th cap, Cannavaro came out on top as Italy won 5-3 on penalties when the game ended 1-1 after extra time.

He was part of the Juventus team that lifted the Serie A title in 2005 and 2006, although both crowns were subsequently removed and the club demoted to the second division for their part in the league's match-fixing scandal.

Renowned for his peerless ability to read the game, the Naples-born star started his career with hometown club Napoli in 1992 and began a seven-year stint at Parma in 1995.

He was at Internazionale from 2002-04, then spent two seasons in Turin, before joining the exodus from the disgraced club with a post-World Cup move to Real Madrid.

Buffon, who received 124 votes, was a key component in Italy's mean defence and also a member of Juventus' 2006 title-winning team.

Polling 121 votes, Henry inspired Arsenal to May's Champions League final, where the Londoners lost 2-1 to Barcelona.
Last edited by El Pibe D'Oro on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Pocho Lavezzi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by El Pocho Lavezzi »

well deserved.. true legend

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

What a year.

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

CANNAVARO IS A GUN

WELL DONE U MAGNIFICO NAPOLITANO

P. Diddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by P. Diddy »

Well deserved and been my favourite player for years, but he's been in a coma since joining Real. Everytime I watch them play on ESPN he co#ks up.
"Remember kids - stay in school"

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

P. Diddy wrote:Well deserved and been my favourite player for years, but he's been in a coma since joining Real. Everytime I watch them play on ESPN he co#ks up.
What are you watching, how can you tell his co#k is up, your sick man, leave the freeze frame alone. :wink:

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

The man is a legend... Now this is just the icing on the cake for a fantastic year.

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The one and only »

P. Diddy wrote:Well deserved and been my favourite player for years, but he's been in a coma since joining Real. Everytime I watch them play on ESPN he co#ks up.
i agree is a great player but he has been woeful in spain like you everytime i watch him since joining real he has been crap doesn't take away the year he had last year though
I speak nothing but the truth

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

no better cb in the game albeit he is getting on, cant wait for him to return home.