Man Utd

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Man Utd

Post by God is an Englishman »

Stuckey wrote:
Last week's 1-1 draw between Manchester United and Real Madrid was "the match the world wants to see", according to the Spanish team's coach, Jose Mourinho. In fact, Manchester United claim any of their matches is of interest to one in 10 of the world's seven billion people. What is the evidence for this claim?

Even the most ardent opponent of Manchester United would acknowledge that the club has fans right around the world. But the statement that it has a global following of 659 million adults - out of a total five billion adults in the world - is still quite staggering.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21478857

Interesting article. Love the end of it disgussing how American's generally think the NFL is popular internationally.
It's important to understand this word "follower", because it is "followers" that Kantar set out to count - not "fans".

Kantar included in this category people who answered, unprompted, that Manchester United was either their favourite football team or a team that they enjoyed following.

So there is nothing to stop people "following" several clubs, as Kantar director Richard Brinkman acknowledges.

This part is what I have been saying for years. You can follow more than one side but you can only be a fan of one.

Ubietz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ubietz »

God is an Englishman wrote:
The Kop wrote:
El Capitano wrote:Who cares who the best defender is? Ian_Wrights poor reading comprehension just made him an easy target.

Carry on :arrow:
Man U are on the way to a treble.
Let us have our fun now, cos I'll be logged off in exile from about May till August.
You won't win the treble, you'll lose to Millwall in the final.
If Millwall make the final will you go back to see your team play?
«Εμείς μαζί για μια ζωή»

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ubietz wrote:If Millwall make the final will you go back to see your team play?
100% yes. I went back in 2004 for it as well.

I would consider going back for the semi as well.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

The article also mentioned how, of that 659 million, 658.9 million have never even been to Manchester let alone Old Trafford!

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Sounds like 99% of this forum

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

Ian_Wright wrote:Sounds like 99% of this forum
I think you've got other things to worry about.
Feel Good Inc.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

The survey writer said it all. Follower. And followers have multiple teams. Basically someone with any interest.
Technically, I’m considered a follower. As all those Man U fans who lol at Liverpool are really followers of Liverpool.

Interested to see the “fan” number. Would be perhaps 10% of that number?

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Like?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Kop wrote:The survey writer said it all. Follower. And followers have multiple teams. Basically someone with any interest.
Technically, I’m considered a follower. As all those Man U fans who lol at Liverpool are really followers of Liverpool.

10%, wouldn't be 1%. What does OT hold these days. 80k, so 30 home games a season means 2.4 Million. Even that assumes season ticket holders don't exist and everyone only goes to 1 game.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

The Kop wrote:The survey writer said it all. Follower. And followers have multiple teams. Basically someone with any interest.

10%, wouldn't be 1%. What does OT hold these days. 80k, so 30 home games a season means 2.4 Million. Even that assumes season ticket holders don't exist and everyone only goes to 1 game.
Now we're digging deeper, but you're implying only matchgoers are fans.
Not sure if i agree with that.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Kop wrote:

I would say that anyone who dips their hand in their pocket to buy club merchandise, could legitimately be counted by the club as a fan.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Ubietz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ubietz »

Displaced fans don't count.

Except if you support Millwall.
«Εμείς μαζί για μια ζωή»

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Kop wrote:

correct, fans attend games.

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

+2

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Kop wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:10%, wouldn't be 1%. What does OT hold these days. 80k, so 30 home games a season means 2.4 Million. Even that assumes season ticket holders don't exist and everyone only goes to 1 game.

That would mean Tanner is not a fan of Liverpool and I'm not a fan of Spurs as we don't go to games any more? Complete bollocks.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:

That would mean Tanner is not a fan of Liverpool and I'm not a fan of Spurs as we don't go to games any more? Complete bollocks.

I stand by my comment!

You'd find a way to watch your side if you really were a fan. You might have used to be a spurs fan but now other things have stolen your priorities and that's fair enough.

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

If you have been to games in the past and have perhaps moved to aus (making it difficult), not so bad in my opinion. However i have an Australian mate who loves Liverpool and tries to get over to England at least once every couple of years just to see them. Some, or should i say most people on here claim to support a team and yet they have never watched them, comical, really is comical. Instead they run there mouth on forums like this and think they know everything :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

I stand by my comment!

You'd find a way to watch your side if you really were a fan. You might have used to be a spurs fan but now other things have stolen your priorities and that's fair enough.
I have to be honest and say I missed a few cup games, but I saw every single Spurs EPL game live last season.
Danny Blanchflower

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

Ian_Wright wrote:Like?
How shit your club is.
Feel Good Inc.

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Bahahaha. Im not worried about that mate, i follow my team win, lose or draw.

I love reading the posts made by all you plastic Man U supporters.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

God is an Englishman wrote: correct, fans attend games.
I disagree fans watch games in anyway they can. Otherwise you're suggesting that someone who is a fair weather Man U fan living in Manchester that may attend one or two games a season but doesn't even watch all games is a bigger fan then someone who lives abroad and watches every Man U game (if you're living in Australia) getting up at ungodly hours to watch your team.
It a world game which means clubs are supported all over the world. Infact AUFC has fans in Indonesia.
IMO a fan is someon who supports their club in whatever way they like as long as it benefits the club they support.

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

Ian_Wright wrote:Bahahaha. Im not worried about that mate, i follow my team win, lose or draw.

I love reading the posts made by all you plastic Man U supporters.
Your clubs falling apart and you're not worried? I'll save you a seat on the wagon.
Feel Good Inc.

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Oh dear, you really are a :clown: As i said i love watching Arsenal regardless of the result. I actually feel sorry for people like you. Your silly petulant comments make me wonder if you are old enough to be on the internet without your mothers supervision.

Derek
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Derek »

Its very unfortunate that most Man U supporters have this simple mentality just like yours, makes the 4% of real fans look bad too.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote: I have to be honest and say I missed a few cup games, but I saw every single Spurs EPL game live last season.

what about this season?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote:
I disagree fans watch games in anyway they can. Otherwise you're suggesting that someone who is a fair weather Man U fan living in Manchester that may attend one or two games a season but doesn't even watch all games is a bigger fan then someone who lives abroad and watches every Man U game (if you're living in Australia) getting up at ungodly hours to watch your team.
It a world game which means clubs are supported all over the world. Infact AUFC has fans in Indonesia.
IMO a fan is someon who supports their club in whatever way they like as long as it benefits the club they support.
The person who goes is the bigger fan. The person watching on tv is just a viewer.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nice One Cyril wrote: I have to be honest and say I missed a few cup games, but I saw every single Spurs EPL game live last season.

what about this season?
Seen every EPL game, even the cabernet times. Missed a League Cup game against Carlisle and the FA Cup game against Leeds (too drunk to stay awake).

In the nine years I've been here, I should think I've missed about 4 or 5 games a year in total. I probably see them more live now than I did in the UK.
Danny Blanchflower

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Stuckey wrote:
The person who goes is the bigger fan. The person watching on tv is just a viewer.
So based on that then I'm a bigger Arsenal fan then most on here as I've been to 3 Arsenal games in the last 12 months. Bollocks.
My last boss was a massive Chelsea fan but can't afford to go to Chelsea game due to them being too expensive these days. He cried the day they won the champions league. How can you possibly say he's not a fan.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

what about this season?
Seen every EPL game, even the cabernet times. Missed a League Cup game against Carlisle and the FA Cup game against Leeds (too drunk to stay awake).

In the nine years I've been here, I should think I've missed about 4 or 5 games a year in total. I probably see them more live now than I did in the UK.
You're a fan in my book!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Stuckey wrote: So based on that then I'm a bigger Arsenal fan then most on here as I've been to 3 Arsenal games in the last 12 months. Bollocks.
My last boss was a massive Chelsea fan but can't afford to go to Chelsea game due to them being too expensive these days. He cried the day they won the champions league. How can you possibly say he's not a fan.
Well seeing as you can only be a fan of one side, better choose between your sides. However, just because a real fan goes to games it doesn't mean that just by attending you're a fan.

If he was a true fan he would find a way to see game once in a while. I can't stand chelse but even I have been to some games on occasions.