Happy Birthday Jari Litmanen

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Happy Birthday Jari Litmanen

Post by Litmanen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdGxSkVr1Kc

One of my favorite players growing up turns 41 today, he's still playing too!

Clinical and intelligent, no wonder he didn't get much of a run at Liverpool :p

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Happy Birthday Jari Litmanen

Post by BTAC »

Litmanen wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdGxSkVr1Kc

It was such a waste to have a player of his quality sitting on the bench. Shame, but it's great to see that he's still going. Happy birthday!
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Fitz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Fitz »

BowTiesAreCool wrote:

It was such a waste to have a player of his quality sitting on the bench. Shame, but it's great to see that he's still going. Happy birthday!
I saw Litmanen in the same class as Zola. Just never got the chance to show it at LFC. One of my favourite players to watch when I first saw football.
ImageImageImage

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Seemed to always score. What a class player and one for opponents to fear.

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

Was a big fan.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Fitz wrote:
BowTiesAreCool wrote:

I saw Litmanen in the same class as Zola. Just never got the chance to show it at LFC. One of my favourite players to watch when I first saw football.
Nothing biased about you then. Not even close.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

He was part of the first ever PPV game on English TV.

Finland v England 2000

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

NickyTanner wrote:He was part of the first ever PPV game on English TV.

Finland v England 2000
Yeah, like anyone would pay to watch that :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

It was 0-0 and during work time!!

I made a TV show all about it, hence knowing this useless info!

Fitz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Fitz »

NOC - im not going to start an argument with you about it, its simply my opinion. i think youll find i am actually extremely unbiased in any view i have. i thought Litmanen was world class, but unfortunately injuries ruined his career. i still think Harry Kewell was world class, but lots of people would disagree with that, its just injuries didnt allow him to display that ability.
ImageImageImage

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

Fitz wrote:I still think Harry Kewell was world class, but lots of people would disagree with that, its just injuries didnt allow him to display that ability.
You missed "at Liverpool" at the end there. He was fantastic in the 3 seasons before his last at Leeds, and even in that last season, with his injuries starting to come to the fore while at a sinking ship he stood out.

Fitz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Fitz »

Chade wrote:
Fitz wrote:I still think Harry Kewell was world class, but lots of people would disagree with that, its just injuries didnt allow him to display that ability.
You missed "at Liverpool" at the end there. He was fantastic in the 3 seasons before his last at Leeds, and even in that last season, with his injuries starting to come to the fore while at a sinking ship he stood out.
Agreed Chade. The way he tore up Jaap Stam was clinical and aggressive. Also during a small period when he was close to full fitness at LFC he played Chelsea in the semi's of the cup and basically was unplayable. There was a couple of years there where Viduka and Kewell were major, major stars in the PL and could have gone to any major club in Europe (in Harry's case, he did, Duke made some poor career choices).
ImageImageImage

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Fitz wrote:NOC - im not going to start an argument with you about it, its simply my opinion. i think youll find i am actually extremely unbiased in any view i have. i thought Litmanen was world class, but unfortunately injuries ruined his career. i still think Harry Kewell was world class, but lots of people would disagree with that, its just injuries didnt allow him to display that ability.
I wasn't looking for an argument, and you're entitled to your wrong opinion :wink: but Zola was indisputably one of the best players in the World for several years, despite playing for a shite team. Litmanen showed glimpses of quality but never produced anything consistently that would earn him a 'world class' tag. Kewell was much the same but managed to show quality for longer. Neither came vaguely close to Gianfranco though.

BTW very few 'world class' players at Anfield in the last 20 years, that's been their problem. Probably only Gerrard and possibly Owen and Torres. Compare that to the endless list through the 70s and 80s when I was a kid.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

wasn't Jari the CL top scorer or something like that, for a time he was outstanding.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Fitz wrote:NOC - im not going to start an argument with you about it, its simply my opinion. i think youll find i am actually extremely unbiased in any view i have. i thought Litmanen was world class, but unfortunately injuries ruined his career. i still think Harry Kewell was world class, but lots of people would disagree with that, its just injuries didnt allow him to display that ability.
I wasn't looking for an argument, and you're entitled to your wrong opinion :wink: but Zola was indisputably one of the best players in the World for several years, despite playing for a shite team. Litmanen showed glimpses of quality but never produced anything consistently that would earn him a 'world class' tag. Kewell was much the same but managed to show quality for longer. Neither came vaguely close to Gianfranco though.

BTW very few 'world class' players at Anfield in the last 20 years, that's been their problem. Probably only Gerrard and possibly Owen and Torres. Compare that to the endless list through the 70s and 80s when I was a kid.
You weren't a kid in the 80s, if you were, you have aged very very badly!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

NickyTanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

You weren't a kid in the 80s, if you were, you have aged very very badly!
:lol: champagne.

Behaved like one. Good times.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

whereas I was one!!!

Ubietz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ubietz »

getborn wrote:Was a big fan.
Still am a fan.

Total legend.
«Εμείς μαζί για μια ζωή»

Trimboli
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Trimboli »

Fitz wrote:
Chade wrote:
Agreed Chade. The way he tore up Jaap Stam was clinical and aggressive. Also during a small period when he was close to full fitness at LFC he played Chelsea in the semi's of the cup and basically was unplayable. There was a couple of years there where Viduka and Kewell were the major, major Australian stars in the PL and could have gone to any major club in Europe (in Harry's case, he did, Duke made some poor career choices).
Edited for accuracy.
Please don't confuse the fact that they were Australia's biggest players for them being major stars on the world stage - the two are not the same.
Never argue with an idiot - they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Fitz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Fitz »

Trimboli - say that to any self respecting Leeds fan and you'd probably get a swift slap upside the head. Or to any defender in the PL, International or CL who had to mark Viduka (no pun intended). Harry Kewell was the hottest property in England (and one of the most linked names in Europe) the summer he signed for LFC.
ImageImageImage

Trimboli
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Trimboli »

Leeds fans hate him for signing for Galatasary. You are still confusing "best Australian players" for which they are without question with "world class" which is very different.
Never argue with an idiot - they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Fitz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Fitz »

Trimboli wrote:Leeds fans hate him for signing for Galatasary. You are still confusing "best Australian players" for which they are without question with "world class" which is very different.
Do you personally know every Leeds fan? The club and fans should thank H for his years of service and loyalty, rather than condone him for signing for a club, where a tiny proportion of their supporters did a terrible thing. Not every fan at Galatasary is responsible to the murders of the Leeds fans. The club cant be held at fault. It is the will of a few persons that caused that incident, and if people cant realise that, then they are shallow humans.
ImageImageImage

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Massive fan, his first spell at Ajax was magical
ImageImage

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

Fitz wrote:
Trimboli wrote:Leeds fans hate him for signing for Galatasary. You are still confusing "best Australian players" for which they are without question with "world class" which is very different.
Do you personally know every Leeds fan? The club and fans should thank H for his years of service and loyalty, rather than condone him for signing for a club, where a tiny proportion of their supporters did a terrible thing. Not every fan at Galatasary is responsible to the murders of the Leeds fans. The club cant be held at fault. It is the will of a few persons that caused that incident, and if people cant realise that, then they are shallow humans.
Who would admit to knowing Leeds fans?

So you're not arguing the second point that Trimboli made!!!!!

Fitz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Fitz »

Old Redback, i firmly believe they were world class. If they were under top, top National sides, they would have had starting gigs, and be recognised worldwide on a higher level.
ImageImageImage

BlackBrian_7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BlackBrian_7 »

He's no Scott Parker that's for sure.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

one of the best ajax strikers ever

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

ruud wrote:one of the best ajax strikers ever

I was expecting you to respond first!

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

Litmanen wrote:
ruud wrote:one of the best ajax strikers ever

I was expecting you to respond first!
:P

he was at the ajax game on the weekend

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

Fitz wrote:Do you personally know every Leeds fan? The club and fans should thank H for his years of service and loyalty, rather than condone him for signing for a club, where a tiny proportion of their supporters did a terrible thing. Not every fan at Galatasary is responsible to the murders of the Leeds fans. The club cant be held at fault. It is the will of a few persons that caused that incident, and if people cant realise that, then they are shallow humans.
Try telling that to a Leeds fan and you will will get the head slap. While you are at it maybe you can suggest that telling Al Qaeda to "settle down" will work and maybe convince the Jewish nation that only a few Nazis were really that bad.