Tottenham 2011/12

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Tottenham 2011/12

Post by Hawkseys Double »

Now we have one.

I'll kick off by saying, No gooners, No mancs.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Tottenham 2011/12

Spurs to use Keane as bait in bid for Dembele

Wednesday June 08 2011
Fulham have turned down an offer thought to be worth £10m from Tottenham for striker Moussa Dembele -- but a transfer could still be completed with a player-plus-cash deal involving Robbie Keane.

The rejection of the bid pre-dates the appointment of Martin Jol, although Dembele was the first player that the new Fulham manager mentioned yesterday when he spoke of his desire to work with the present squad.

"I know a lot about the squad I inherited," Jol said. "I enjoy watching players like Moussa Dembele, who I have known for a while."

Spurs failed in a deadline-day bid for Dembele in January and are understood to have increased substantially their offer for the 23-year-old Belgian international.

Dembele has made a big impact, despite injury setbacks, on the Premier League since he arrived from Dutch club AZ Alkmaar last summer for a fee believed to be just under £5m. Fulham snatched Dembele from under the noses of Birmingham City, who thought he was joining them.

Spurs are understood to have offered a straight cash deal for Dembele, with manager Harry Redknapp desperate to strengthen his striking options.

Given the good times that Ireland striker Keane had at Spurs under Jol, it may well be that the club will try to tempt Fulham again with a player-plus-cash deal.

But Fulham have shown little interest in Keane in the past -- having been offered the 30-year-old striker previously -- and Tottenham's demand for a £6m fee on top of the striker's £65,000-a-week wages will be prohibitive.

Spurs are closely tracking Espanyol striker Pablo Osvaldo, who was also a target for Fulham when Mark Hughes was manager. But the Spanish club's demands were thought to be too high for Fulham.

Spurs have also been strongly linked with Brazilian striker Leandro Damiao (21), who plays for Internacional, a club with whom there is an affiliation agreement, although it is thought an opening bid had been rejected. Midfielder Sandro arrived at Spurs from the Brazilian side.

At the same time Spurs, who want to sign midfielder Scott Parker from relegated West Ham, are hoping to sell the likes of Sebastien Bassong, Wilson Palacios, Alan Hutton and, above all, David Bentley.

Meanwhile, Sam Allardyce is hoping to make Kevin Nolan and DJ Campbell his first signings at West Ham.

Allardyce managed the goal-scoring midfielder at Bolton and made him his first signing at Newcastle back in 2007, while striker Campbell impressed with his goals for Blackpool last season. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Thoughts?

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

rate dembele. would be good for a bigger club like spurs but do you really need him?

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

Yids wrote:I'll kick off by saying... No mancs.
Why do people continuously use the word Manc in the wrong context. Unless your actually referring to Mancunian's and not Man Utd/City supporters (doubt it).
Feel Good Inc.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

El Capitano wrote:
Yids wrote:I'll kick off by saying... No mancs.
Why do people continuously use the word Manc in the wrong context. Unless your actually referring to Mancunian's and not Man Utd/City supporters (doubt it).
Away with you!

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

totsreds08 wrote:rate dembele. would be good for a bigger club like spurs but do you really need him?
No, we need to be looking for better. If we want to be top four consistently, then we need to look higher. Not bagging the guy, but we need world class

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

Yids wrote:Thoughts?
Mid table mediocrity :lol:
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Yids wrote:
totsreds08 wrote:rate dembele. would be good for a bigger club like spurs but do you really need him?
No, we need to be looking for better. If we want to be top four consistently, then we need to look higher. Not bagging the guy, but we need world class
I top 4 in 30 years (approx) and you are talking about consistently? I say the one top 4 was the exception :lol:

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

e-football wrote:
Yids wrote:
I top 4 in 30 years (approx) and you are talking about consistently? I say the one top 4 was the exception :lol:
Nothing wrong with what I said, if that's what the expectation is, that's what we need to do

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I genuinely don't know where Tottenham think they can go, they don't have mega bucks to compete with some clubs, you have a nutter as a manager who is full of dodgy deals, wheeling and dealing but is a good manager - but one who will be England manager in a year most likely.

If Levy does try and compete with the current top 4 (with buying and wages) and LFC it could work, but most likely you will end up in Europa year after year with high wages, high debt and a bleak short term future.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

e-football wrote:I genuinely don't know where Tottenham think they can go, they don't have mega bucks to compete with some clubs, you have a nutter as a manager who is full of dodgy deals, wheeling and dealing but is a good manager - but one who will be England manager in a year most likely.

If Levy does try and compete with the current top 4 (with buying and wages) and LFC it could work, but most likely you will end up in Europa year after year with high wages, high debt and a bleak short term future.
If we want to progress, we have to take the risk. We have a good squad, with some additions there is no reason why we can't get top four on a consistent basis. if we can't get champions league this year, almost certainly it's goodbye to Bale and Modric sadly.

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

e-football wrote:I genuinely don't know where Tottenham think they can go, they don't have mega bucks to compete with some clubs, you have a nutter as a manager who is full of dodgy deals, wheeling and dealing but is a good manager - but one who will be England manager in a year most likely.

Couldn't you say the same for Liverpool?

With Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Man City all improving there squads ( Arsenal might be arguable, but they have alot of good players as it is), Who do you expect to knock out of the Top 4?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I 'possibly' could say that, but this is the Spurs thread - its has nothing to do with LFC. :wink:

SPURS18
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SPURS18 »

Yids wrote:

Could not agree with you more we need to sign 3 world class players a striker, defensive midfielder and a centreback i think is definitely needed.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Not many teams have 3 world class players.

To sign 3 in a summer you are having a laugh,

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

e-football wrote:Not many teams have 3 world class players.

A striker is the priority.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

I think Tottenham should be aiming for CL qualification every year. They've got a pretty good all round squad. One or two quality additions and they would be right up there. A striker is a must. I rate Crouch and Defoe, but you need a top quality striker.

Coming from somebody who doesn't watch Spurs regularly, I wouldn't think Centre half would be a huge issue for you. Maybe a decent centre half for rotation, but I think Dawson and King as first choice, with Bassong as cover is pretty good. I won't count Woodgate...
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

Bow Ties Are Cool wrote:I think Tottenham should be aiming for CL qualification every year. They've got a pretty good all round squad. One or two quality additions and they would be right up there. A striker is a must. I rate Crouch and Defoe, but you need a top quality striker.

Coming from somebody who doesn't watch Spurs regularly, I wouldn't think Centre half would be a huge issue for you. Maybe a decent centre half for rotation, but I think Dawson and King as first choice, with Bassong as cover is pretty good. I won't count Woodgate...

Gallas too.

The big issue is the striker. Though if they do get Drogba i think that'll change alot (Rumours were that he put his transfer request in today)

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Litmanen wrote:
Bow Ties Are Cool wrote:I think Tottenham should be aiming for CL qualification every year. They've got a pretty good all round squad. One or two quality additions and they would be right up there. A striker is a must. I rate Crouch and Defoe, but you need a top quality striker.

Gallas too.

The big issue is the striker. Though if they do get Drogba i think that'll change alot (Rumours were that he put his transfer request in today)
Forgot about Gallas. Another reason I don't think Spurs need a new centre half.
Last edited by BTAC on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

SpursOnTheRise
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SpursOnTheRise »

I think soon enough the "top 4" will become a top 5 and i'm sure given enough time Uefa will increase the champions league spot allocations to the Premier League, the League as a whole becoming better every year. Like most people have been saying for nearly a year now, the striking department is the priority if someone offered me 4 new strikers in place of Keane, Crouch, Defoe and Pav i'd probably take it assuming they're all half decent, after last season i can't say any of them deserve to stay in the squad. Defoe is the only one i'd keep of that lot, we have to sell alot of players i think so we should have a fair bit of cash to play with. I like the sounds of this Leandro Damiao guy but not as our main striker, definetly a bench player for the future. Alot of names are being thrown around, Rossi would be nice...
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur

"It's Grosso...It's Italy!"

Der_Tiser
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Der_Tiser »

SpursOnTheRise wrote:I think soon enough the "top 4" will become a top 5 and i'm sure given enough time Uefa will increase the champions league spot allocations to the Premier League, the League as a whole becoming better every year. Like most people have been saying for nearly a year now, the striking department is the priority if someone offered me 4 new strikers in place of Keane, Crouch, Defoe and Pav i'd probably take it assuming they're all half decent, after last season i can't say any of them deserve to stay in the squad. Defoe is the only one i'd keep of that lot, we have to sell alot of players i think so we should have a fair bit of cash to play with. I like the sounds of this Leandro Damiao guy but not as our main striker, definetly a bench player for the future. Alot of names are being thrown around, Rossi would be nice...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mato
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Mato »

pretty much all been said

we need a 15-20goal a season striker (which defoe should be... hopefully he stays injury free start of this year !_!)

i dont think defensive mid is really a concern - sandro is good and will get better

hopefully friedel will keep that clown gomes out of goal

... but most important of all keep luka, bale, vdv

interesting to see if lennon ends up going, heard 'arry hates him lol

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

if drogba goes to the scum, the spuds should make top 4

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Mato wrote:pretty much all been said

we need a 15-20goal a season striker (which defoe should be... hopefully he stays injury free start of this year !_!)

i dont think defensive mid is really a concern - sandro is good and will get better

hopefully friedel will keep that clown gomes out of goal

... but most important of all keep luka, bale, vdv

interesting to see if lennon ends up going, heard 'arry hates him lol
I hope bloody not! Lennon and Bale are a fantastic winger duo, not to mention that Lennon has improved greatly under Redknapp. Who would replace him anyway!

ManU007
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by ManU007 »

The key for success for Tottenham next season is making that CL spot. I don't think they were to far off last season but honestly did not have the depth to make it.

Rumours have it that they are on the brink of signing Mousa Dembele from Fulham. I see this as a step backwards for Tottenham. If this guy is going to cost them $10 million they may aswell keep what they have.

They do need strikers though and i think it's about time Peter Crouch is sold as when he is in the side their game is too one dimensional. Robbie Keane must be given a chance if this guy can keep on scoring goal after goal for Ireland im sure he can do it for Tottenham. Defoe seems like he has lost it a bit but when he is on form he is a great striker. Roman has all the attributes to be a great striker except for the one thing that lets him down which is his attitude.

The strikers they need to keep are Robbie Keane and Pavlyachenko and sell the other two to get some more funds in.

Tottenham must do whatever they can to keep a hold of their 3 stars Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart. If one of these guys go they will not make the CL spots. In saying this though they need one more quality player in that CM and they must sign Scott Parker to add leadership to that club and also add cover to Van Der Vaart and Modric when they get forward.

A defender is also a must. They have a great one in Michael Dawson and a very solid yet temperamental one in William Gallas. If only Ledley King was fit then he would be a massive boost for them. They would be looking to either Birmingham's Scott Dann or Roger Johnson to give them a bit more depth and assurance back there.

Now back to the Strikers. I really think Spurs need to make a statement here and need a big gun to come in and also a player who knows how to play in the EPL. First choice for them would have to be Aguero. Aguero is a quality player who could potentially light up the EPL he is quick has great control and a very smart player. I also would hate to see him go but i think Tottenham would be greatly boosted if they can get Berbatov back and give him the playing time he lacks at Man U. Yes, he is arrogant but his touches and finesse could link up with a player like VDV perfectly.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

El Diego wrote:if drogba goes to the scum, the spuds should make top 4
So by Drogba going to either Arsenal or Man United, how does that benefit us?

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Chelski007 wrote:The key for success for Tottenham next season is making that CL spot. I don't think they were to far off last season but honestly did not have the depth to make it.

Rumours have it that they are on the brink of signing Mousa Dembele from Fulham. I see this as a step backwards for Tottenham. If this guy is going to cost them $10 million they may aswell keep what they have.

They do need strikers though and i think it's about time Peter Crouch is sold as when he is in the side their game is too one dimensional. Robbie Keane must be given a chance if this guy can keep on scoring goal after goal for Ireland im sure he can do it for Tottenham. Defoe seems like he has lost it a bit but when he is on form he is a great striker. Roman has all the attributes to be a great striker except for the one thing that lets him down which is his attitude.

The strikers they need to keep are Robbie Keane and Pavlyachenko and sell the other two to get some more funds in.

Tottenham must do whatever they can to keep a hold of their 3 stars Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart. If one of these guys go they will not make the CL spots. In saying this though they need one more quality player in that CM and they must sign Scott Parker to add leadership to that club and also add cover to Van Der Vaart and Modric when they get forward.

A defender is also a must. They have a great one in Michael Dawson and a very solid yet temperamental one in William Gallas. If only Ledley King was fit then he would be a massive boost for them. They would be looking to either Birmingham's Scott Dann or Roger Johnson to give them a bit more depth and assurance back there.

Now back to the Strikers. I really think Spurs need to make a statement here and need a big gun to come in and also a player who knows how to play in the EPL. First choice for them would have to be Aguero. Aguero is a quality player who could potentially light up the EPL he is quick has great control and a very smart player. I also would hate to see him go but i think Tottenham would be greatly boosted if they can get Berbatov back and give him the playing time he lacks at Man U. Yes, he is arrogant but his touches and finesse could link up with a player like VDV perfectly.
I agree. I think we are fine with our full backs. Kyle Naughton proved to be good at Villa, so I hope he can keep that up for us. Then we can sell Corluka to raise some funds for a quality striker.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

freidel is a dumb buy, cudicini is still a great keeper and looks to have recovered from the accident well
ImageImage

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

If Gomes goes, they still have 2.

Ginger Pele
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ginger Pele »

e-football wrote:Not many teams have 3 world class players.

Modric,VDV and Bale.....all 3 world class

Add Ledley King to that when fit! Just ask Thierry Henry who the best defender he has ever played against and King's name will be first off the rank