Typical Everton

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Typical Everton

Post by Bomber »

Socceroos star Tim Cahill has found himself embroiled in a club versus country row as Everton manager David Moyes is threatening to withhold his match payments while playing for Australia in January.

Moyes has called for the Toffees to be financially compensated for the time Cahill is away at a critical part of the English Premier League season.

Everton could be without its top scorer for up to six weeks, including the crucial Liverpool derby at Anfield on January 16.

While Moyes can't stop Cahill from going to the Asian Cup, to be played in Qatar from January 7 to 29, he is insisting Everton shouldn't pay his wages while he's away, the Liverpool Echo is reporting.

"They are due to take Tim mid to late December and depending how far they go in the tournament will determine how long he is away," Moyes said.

"I'm trying to delay him going until January and will do the best I can but I think it's unfair.

"I just feel in this world where money is so tight for clubs, someone might say if you want to play in that tournament then there will be no wages in that month.

"We can't stop you playing for your country, but maybe there are no wages.

"If 10 Australians were playing in Europe, then surely they couldn't afford to pay their wages each for the month.

"If you were an owner of a club, you would be disappointed about paying the wages of these players and not getting the benefit of them all that time."

Everton must release Cahill for the tournament as it is FIFA-protected.

"Socceroos coach Holger Osieck will name the best possible squad available for Qatar and expects teams like Everton to fall into line," an FFA spokesman said.

"The Asian tournament is the second most important tournament for Australia soccer behind the World Cup and we expect European managers who have Socceroos on their books to adhere to FIFA's regulations, as does the A-League when it comes to releasing players for events such as the African Cup of Nations."

Moyes is used to losing players to the African Cup of Nations during the domestic season, but this will be the first time Cahill, who has six goals for the Toffees this season, would be lost to the club for such a long stretch.

The Socceroos have only been part of the Asian Confederation since they made the switch from Oceania three years ago.

Cahill played in the 2007 Asian Cup, but that was played during the English off-season.

"Tim is massively important for us and is going to be a really big miss," Moyes said.

"When we don't have him, we miss him."

Well lets hope Moyes never gets a national coaching gig otherwise somehow I think he'd change his tune. I hope Cahill at least says that his country is more important than a few weeks wages!
Ignore this signature

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Typical Everton

Post by BTAC »

He's got a point though.

How'd you like to be paying someone that much money per week when they're not even working for you?
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Dan Agger wrote:He's got a point though.

How'd you like to be paying someone that much money per week when they're not even working for you?
Annual leave? :wink:

Issue not about getting paid really, more so releasing him to play for his country and not whingeing about it. Surely if you sign a decent foreigner, you are aware of the risks. Look at when the African Nations Cup is on. Half of the EPL go missing!
Ignore this signature

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Annual leave? Injury?

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Bomber wrote:

Issue not about getting paid really, more so releasing him to play for his country and not whingeing about it. Surely if you sign a decent foreigner, you are aware of the risks. Look at when the African Nations Cup is on. Half of the EPL go missing!
But isn't their annual leave basically the time they get off during the off-season?
I'm not too cluey on the matter..

I get what you're saying about players going missing for internationals, but I'd still be pissed off if I were the manager. Cahill is one of their most influential players..I wouldn't be happy if we lost Gerrard due to international duty for a month..oh wait, we pretty much did. :lol:
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

Bacon888 wrote:

Annual leave? Injury?
Insurance covers the payments when a player is injured not the club

ontheblackburner
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by ontheblackburner »

Moyes is a sook - never heard one manager bang on about one player for so long!

Tim loves playing for Aus. The Asian cup is FIFA approved. Done deal.

Go loan Landon Donovan if you're so worried
#venkysout

Salisbury Florina (1970 - 2018)
2005 SAASL Sunday Division 2 Champions
2009 SAASL Sunday Premier League Champions
2013 SAASL Sunday Division 2 Champions

https://www.facebook.com/MantonStTribe
https://www.twitter.com/MantonStTribe

simoo3
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by simoo3 »

happens everytime the africa cup of nations is on. its to bad if the player chooses country they have to deal with it.

vertu1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by vertu1 »

the strength of the game is that it is global
the strength of the EPL is that it attracts global TV money (inc ASIAN money)
Everton get lots of money from that
having players from other countries goes a long way to maintaining the global appeal of the EPL

just suck it up Mr Moyes , it's just how it is

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

2 sides to this argument.

Side 1
You sign a foreigner, you know what you're getting. Sign more English people. If you don't like people going off for 2 bob international tournaments then sign them from decent federations and preferably people who play for the country you are in. Problem solved.

Side 2
Why should you pay the wages of someone who is not prepared to work for you. Annual leave does not coming into it, take that from mid May - early July. The same as teachers, you are in terms of taking time off.

As much as I agree with side 2, side 1 encourages home grown players so let's go with that argument.

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

Poor Tim. Found out what being poor is all about whilst at Millwal, now he just doesn't want that life again so he'd like to earn money whilst playing for his country and being scrutinised for it :(
Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

zackadacka
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zackadacka »

God is an Englishman wrote:You sign a foreigner, you know what you're getting
I agree with most of that, just that the Asian Cup has been moved to January because it's in Qatar (heat, etc.). The last one in Indonesia, Thailand and so on was in July. He probably doesn't like the fact its been moved, and probably wasn't prepared for it to be in January.

Having said that, making English teams sign English players would be a positive. Add to that the fact that Cahill has been one of the best $1m signings Moyes has ever made. He has a fair point, but the precedent has been set with the African CoN.
ALDERSHOT TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB
THE RISING PHOENIX
SINCE 1992
Russia2018 wrote: corruption is alive and well

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Moyes has done this with quite a few players and lost out as a result, yes it is Tim Cahills employer and they do pay his wages so one would assume that the club are in the right and Tim's contracted to play for Everton and not his country. This is not the first club vs Country argument, does anyone remember what David O'Leary was like at Leeds?? Having said that I don't understand what holdings Tim's wages will bring to the club unless they intend on using that money for a loan player??

At the end of the day he is a premier league manager and is in charge of the team however if he is silly enough to ask one of the most patriotic players in World Football to choose between his club and his country, that's entirely up to him.

P.S. its only the Chelsea team that goes missing during the Cup of Nations :wink:
HA'WAY THE LADS

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Outlaw 2.0 wrote:Moyes has done this with quite a few players and lost out as a result, yes it is Tim Cahills employer and they do pay his wages so one would assume that the club are in the right and Tim's contracted to play for Everton and not his country. This is not the first club vs Country argument, does anyone remember what David O'Leary was like at Leeds?? Having said that I don't understand what holdings Tim's wages will bring to the club unless they intend on using that money for a loan player??

At the end of the day he is a premier league manager and is in charge of the team however if he is silly enough to ask one of the most patriotic players in World Football to choose between his club and his country, that's entirely up to him.

P.S. its only the Chelsea team that goes missing during the Cup of Nations :wink:
Redknapp had lots of complaints about it at Pompey.

pino
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by pino »

So did David Moyes make the same complaint when he loses Steven Pienaar during the African Nations Cup?? No.
He just thinks that he can try to intimidate Cahill and the FFA. Too bad David.! Build a bridge...and get over it!!
First the rotating...then the Dennis Wiseing...now the punking of me on my show. That is it Big boss...No More!

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

pino wrote:Too bad David.!
hehe
Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

Arteta or Cahill? who would u rather have?
Chelsea4thewin wrote: if Torres doesnt score in the next 3 games i will put a liverpool symbol as my avatar for the rest of the season

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Bomber wrote:

chelsea dont whinge and they lose drogba, essien, kalou, obi
ImageImage