Carling Cup

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Carling Cup

Post by Chaos »

Just a suggestion.
But why bother letting the so called "big clubs" play in this. Its used solely as a reserve game and never taken seriously. With Man City, Chelsea, (then the next line of "big clubs" Liverpool, Tottenham Everton etc.) gone, where is there a need for a premier league top seven side competing in this.
I say top seven beacause these sides later complain of a fixture backlog when they are playing a game in Europe and are then required to play 4 prem games in 14 days etc..Thoughts
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Carling Cup

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Chaos wrote:Just a suggestion.
But why bother letting the so called "big clubs" play in this. Its used solely as a reserve game and never taken seriously. With Man City, Chelsea, (then the next line of "big clubs" Liverpool, Tottenham Everton etc.) gone, where is there a need for a premier league top seven side competing in this.
I say top seven beacause these sides later complain of a fixture backlog when they are playing a game in Europe and are then required to play 4 prem games in 14 days etc..Thoughts
There's still a European place hanging on the winner and pretty much any team enjoys a Cup Final at Wembley. In the early rounds it gives small teams from Div 2 like Northampton, a chance to play at places like Anfield where, although they've got absolutely no chance against the might of a team like Liverpool, it's probably the only chance their players will have to play there. :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Shining Armour
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Shining Armour »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
... In the early rounds it gives small teams from Div 2 like Northampton, a chance to play at places like Anfield where, although they've got absolutely no chance against the might of a team like Liverpool, it's probably the only chance their players will have to play there. :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

The FA should start clamping down on teams playing "lesser" sides. Fine them, punish them, find some way to deduct league points.

My first ever game at Wembley was for a league cup final and I can still remember it to this day as a great day/memory. It's a pity that the league cup is now seen as a pointless competition that the big sides don't really care about.
Things I am owed because they're too tight to pay up:

Colossus: One House

Costa: One Lunch

Oh and add in

Colossus: one photo and one letter from his "attorney".

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Hawkesy wrote:The FA should start clamping down on teams playing "lesser" sides. Fine them, punish them, find some way to deduct league points.

My first ever game at Wembley was for a league cup final and I can still remember it to this day as a great day/memory. It's a pity that the league cup is now seen as a pointless competition that the big sides don't really care about.

Used to be great competition why not enter all four divisions at same time but the EPL sides play under 23 players only.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

ozzie owl wrote:
Hawkesy wrote:The FA should start clamping down on teams playing "lesser" sides. Fine them, punish them, find some way to deduct league points.

Used to be great competition why not enter all four divisions at same time but the EPL sides play under 23 players only.

Why not the premier league sides just play the game properly. We know the answer, it's because the FA doesn't have the balls to demand anything from them and let's the clubs rule the game and not them.

Oh and add in

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Hawkesy wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

Why not the premier league sides just play the game properly. We know the answer, it's because the FA doesn't have the balls to demand anything from them and let's the clubs rule the game and not them.
That bull and you know it. At the beginning of the season, each club has to name a squad. How they elect to manage that squad based on the competitions they're in, is entirely a case for the club and the manager, stuff all to do with any governing body.

In any event, I'm sure the 'smaller' clubs are quite happy to play some of the lesser lights as it gives them more chance of progressing and hence more revenue. The top teams are obviously not all playing reserve players though as you've got to go back to Boro in 2004 or Leicester a few years before that for a win by one of the smaller PL clubs. I can't even remember the last time a team outside the top flight won it.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Nice One Cyril wrote:That bull and you know it. At the beginning of the season, each club has to name a squad. How they elect to manage that squad based on the competitions they're in, is entirely a case for the club and the manager, stuff all to do with any governing body.

In any event, I'm sure the 'smaller' clubs are quite happy to play some of the lesser lights as it gives them more chance of progressing and hence more revenue. The top teams are obviously not all playing reserve players though as you've got to go back to Boro in 2004 or Leicester a few years before that for a win by one of the smaller PL clubs. I can't even remember the last time a team outside the top flight won it.
I'd be interested to know, how many premier league appearances have the arsenal side that played the other night made this season.

It's got everything to do with the governing body, if the fans turn up and pay their money expecting to see a decent side turn up and they serve up a load of kids, you would feel ripped off.

Oh and add in

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Hawkesy wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:That bull and you know it. At the beginning of the season, each club has to name a squad. How they elect to manage that squad based on the competitions they're in, is entirely a case for the club and the manager, stuff all to do with any governing body.

I'd be interested to know, how many premier league appearances have the arsenal side that played the other night made this season.

It's got everything to do with the governing body, if the fans turn up and pay their money expecting to see a decent side turn up and they serve up a load of kids, you would feel ripped off.
if the fans pay their money and turn up to a Carling Cup match, they would be incredibly stupid to expect anything other than a 2nd string squad

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Loppermann wrote:if the fans pay their money and turn up to a Carling Cup match, they would be incredibly stupid to expect anything other than a 2nd string squad
the point being is that it never used to be like that until the FA allowed them to get away with it. Teams have been fined in the past for fielding understrength sides in this competition.

Oh and add in

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Hawkesy wrote:
Loppermann wrote:if the fans pay their money and turn up to a Carling Cup match, they would be incredibly stupid to expect anything other than a 2nd string squad
the point being is that it never used to be like that until the FA allowed them to get away with it. Teams have been fined in the past for fielding understrength sides in this competition.
it's better this way anyway

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Loppermann wrote:
Hawkesy wrote:
it's better this way anyway
that explains the vast drop in attendances.

Oh and add in

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Im pretty sure Man Utd are the only bigger EPL side who take the Carling Cup seriously. In a way it could be costly if they lose the Premiership by a few points only....fatigue, injuries could be developed during a Carling Cup match, costing them points in an EPL match on the weekend.

hero2zero
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by hero2zero »

Red-4-Life wrote:Im pretty sure Man Utd are the only bigger EPL side who take the Carling Cup seriously. In a way it could be costly if they lose the Premiership by a few points only....fatigue, injuries could be developed during a Carling Cup match, costing them points in an EPL match on the weekend.
Yeah, they only made 11 changes from the team that beat Liverfool and The Manager thought it was more important to go to Spain to watch Valencia.

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

hero2zero wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:Im pretty sure Man Utd are the only bigger EPL side who take the Carling Cup seriously. In a way it could be costly if they lose the Premiership by a few points only....fatigue, injuries could be developed during a Carling Cup match, costing them points in an EPL match on the weekend.
Yeah, they only made 11 changes from the team that beat Liverfool and The Manager thought it was more important to go to Spain to watch Valencia.
pwned

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

how can you justify a lesser side???
rooney is obviously a better player then macheda, but the manager can just say that he played macheda instead of rooney simply because macheda is in better form then rooney

nobody has any right to fine any team for fielding a lesser side
SQUAD ROTATION!

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

exactly, if your good enough to be in a epl squad then the manager should be able to pick whoever he wants. i think arsenal have proved over the years that it provides a good opportunity for the younger player to get good experience yet still play quality football.

KEANO16
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KEANO16 »

The big teams may not rank the Carling Cup as the most important but they still put out decent squads n mix them with youth!

LeicesterCity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LeicesterCity »

in the beginning
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (96.67 KiB) Viewed 4064 times

LeicesterCity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LeicesterCity »

and then it went to single game
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (162.9 KiB) Viewed 4064 times

LeicesterCity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LeicesterCity »

and there's more
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (120.52 KiB) Viewed 4064 times

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

LeicesterCity wrote:and there's more
what exactly are you trying to show? :shock:

LeicesterCity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LeicesterCity »

information. For those that are interested. I apologise for wasting your time.

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

LeicesterCity wrote:information. For those that are interested. I apologise for wasting your time.
it's easy enough for people to go to Wiki if they really want to know...

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

It's simply stupid to assume a team would risk their first XI when they have CL, league, and other cups to play in....

I don't see a problem with anyone playing whoever they want, and it works both ways too. (IE: Wolves resting players against Man U last year)

LeicesterCity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LeicesterCity »

Loppermann wrote:
LeicesterCity wrote:information. For those that are interested. I apologise for wasting your time.

oh, I am sorry. I will ask permission from you next time about what I can post oh great one. Just keep being negative on this forum. You are good at that.

LeicesterCity
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LeicesterCity »

Loppermann wrote:

oh, I am sorry. I will ask permission from you next time about what I can post oh great one. Just keep being negative on this forum. You are good at that.

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

LeicesterCity wrote:
Loppermann wrote:

calm down mate, no need to be so defensive
just questioning why you would bother and what you were showing... save yourself some time

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Litmanen wrote:It's simply stupid to assume a team would risk their first XI when they have CL, league, and other cups to play in....

I don't see a problem with anyone playing whoever they want, and it works both ways too. (IE: Wolves resting players against Man U last year)

and weren't they fined for doing so?

Oh and add in