Why FIFA's Rules Drive Us Crazy

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

reflex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why FIFA's Rules Drive Us Crazy

Post by reflex »

1. A foul which results in a penalty CANNOT logically be deemed to be denying a goalscoring opportunity, and hence should NOT be an automatic red card.

2.Why does FIFA still not allow video technology to be used in critical decisions affecting the result of a game, whilst comparatively "lesser" sports such as Rugby League , Cricket and Tennis use it?

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Why FIFA's Rules Drive Us Crazy

Post by Kitchimo »

reflex wrote:1. A foul which results in a penalty CANNOT logically be deemed to be denying a goalscoring opportunity, and hence should NOT be an automatic red card.
Are you retarded?
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Porcupine
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Porcupine »

Kitchimo wrote:
reflex wrote:1. A foul which results in a penalty CANNOT logically be deemed to be denying a goalscoring opportunity, and hence should NOT be an automatic red card.
Are you retarded?
I thought more or less the same thing.
Pining for the pork of the porcupine

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

Kitchimo wrote:
Are you retarded?

p21c
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by p21c »

ruud wrote:
Kitchimo wrote:
Are you retarded?

reflex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by reflex »

Is a penalty a goalscoring opportunity or not?

p21c
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by p21c »

2.Why does FIFA still not allow video technology to be used in critical decisions affecting the result of a game, whilst comparatively "lesser" sports such as Rugby League , Cricket and Tennis use it?
try and use some.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

ruud wrote:
Kitchimo wrote:
Are you retarded?

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

R4 denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball

R5 d enies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick.

Russia2O18
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Russia2O18 »

cry about it...if we were on the other side of it we'd be rejoicing

simple fact is Ghana were going to score and Kewell saved it with his hand which results in a pen

if the pen is missed or saved then that would've made Kewell's save a worthwhile foul...hence why red cards are given in such a circumstance

i dont have an issue with it...its just a tough break to cop

it would've been nice if a red was issued to the Addy tackle on Bresc..as that may well have been had it been an Aussie player making the tackle

reflex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by reflex »

My point is this

If you give away a penalty,even if it's deliberate, the other team still has a clear goalscoring
opportunity when they take the penalty. If you deny a scoring opp outside the penalty box,
then the team only has a free kick , which is not a clear goalscoring opportunity.
I didn't think I needed to say it slowly for the benefit of some.

Some bloke by the name of Martin Tyler has long made this point.

Why is a team punished 3 times for the one transgression - the penalty,the send off, the suspension?

reflex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by reflex »

OnionBag wrote:cry about it...if we were on the other side of it we'd be rejoicing

simple fact is Ghana were going to score and Kewell saved it with his hand which results in a pen

if the pen is missed or saved then that would've made Kewell's save a worthwhile foul...hence why red cards are given in such a circumstance

it would've been nice if a red was issued to the Addy tackle on Bresc..as that may well have been had it been an Aussie player making the tackle
That's a good point for that particular circumstance.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Channel Nine just ran the Harry Kewell handball through the Snickometer and found that the ball actually struck Harry on the right nipple before stricking the bicep.... :D
Did anyone notice how many Ghana players surrounded the referee and seemed to be demanding Harry should be sent off !
The rules (or strictly speaking LAWS) are somewhat OK, but the directives are what messes things up !
Last edited by swannsong on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You would rather concede a goal than cop a triple penalty of:

1. penalty
2. red card - down to nine men for 70 minutes
3. one match ban

Even if Ghana had missed the penalty it was not a worthwhile exercise for Australia. Losing your most talented player for the rest of the game and being one short for 70 minutes is not worth preventing a goal that only leveled the score.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

admin wrote:You would rather concede a goal than cop a triple penalty of:

1. penalty
3. one match ban

Even if Ghana had missed the penalty it was not a worthwhile exercise for Australia. Losing your most talented player for the rest of the game and being one short for 70 minutes is not worth preventing a goal that only leveled the score.
Then don't put your best players on the line. Simple really.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

what i wanna know is, how does our one and only striker end up being our last man in defence? :?

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Red-4-Life wrote:what i wanna know is, how does our one and only striker end up being our last man in defence? :?
Emerton and Wilkshire (our entire right side) fucking around with Ayew (classic name... must turn around a lot in the street) when they should have been clearing/in position

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

on a related note, Ayew to become the hottest property in Europe after the WC
he's 20 and effectively set up both penalties

Russia2O18
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Russia2O18 »

1. penalty
3. one match ban

the rules is the rules we cant expect dispensation mid tournament...its not like we matter that much

perhaps a fairer way of dealing with such a situation is to simply award a goal instead of a penalty kick...and a yellow card...but that would involve FIFA messing with the fabric of the game which they are loathed to do...unlike AFL where the rules change every few months

pino
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by pino »

Loppermann wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:what i wanna know is, how does our one and only striker end up being our last man in defence? :?
Emerton and Wilkshire (our entire right side) fucking around with Ayew (classic name... must turn around a lot in the street) when they should have been clearing/in position

Ample opportunity to kick the ball out for a corner and regroup. They didn't do it and it ultimately cost them. Blame the ref, FIFA and anyone else you can think of, but put simply clearing the ball when given the opportunity would have made all this discussion a moot point.
First the rotating...then the Dennis Wiseing...now the punking of me on my show. That is it Big boss...No More!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

1. penalty
3. one match ban

Very good point given the success rate at elite level with penalties.

ADEL.GOONERS
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by ADEL.GOONERS »

OnionBag wrote:cry about it...if we were on the other side of it we'd be rejoicing

spot on there , the addy tackle was a lot worse than cahills , but like you say its a tough break to cop, in two games with our two good players

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Should have been red for foul in Bresciano.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Kitchimo wrote:
Are you retarded?
Don't you put retards in the same category as him... Give them a little bit of respect at least :shock:
HA'WAY THE LADS

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

Good points made by many:

(a) the intention by IFAB was - let them score, don't get sent off and play with one short, recover in the next 70 minutes and score more than your opponents...

(b) the triple punishment of penalty, red card AND suspension is too much. It should be penalty and yellow in the box, free-kick and red card outside the box for the last defender.

(c) Addy's tackle from behind on Bresh was atrocious. Law 12 says red for that. I wonder if Blatter will stick to his word "I'll send the refs (who don't give a red for that) home on the first plane outta here.."

and ps, everyone -don't let the eyes glaze over - it's not FIFA's rules, it's IFAB's Laws. I.F.A.B. is the custodian of the Laws of the Game. The International F.A. Board has 8 members - Scotland, Northern Ireland, England, Wales & 4 reps from FIFA representing 204 other countries. 6 out of 8 votes are needed to change a law. (In that voting set-up, Wales has 50 times the power of a multi-World Cup winner like Brazil. But that's another issue..)

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Con wrote:Good points made by many:

(a) the intention by IFAB was - let them score, don't get sent off and play with one short, recover in the next 70 minutes and score more than your opponents...

(b) the triple punishment of penalty, red card AND suspension is too much. It should be penalty and yellow in the box, free-kick and red card outside the box for the last defender.

(c) Addy's tackle from behind on Bresh was atrocious. Law 12 says red for that. I wonder if Blatter will stick to his word "I'll send the refs (who don't give a red for that) home on the first plane outta here.."

and ps, everyone -don't let the eyes glaze over - it's not FIFA's rules, it's IFAB's Laws. I.F.A.B. is the custodian of the Laws of the Game. The International F.A. Board has 8 members - Scotland, Northern Ireland, England, Wales & 4 reps from FIFA representing 204 other countries. 6 out of 8 votes are needed to change a law. (In that voting set-up, Wales has 50 times the power of a multi-World Cup winner like Brazil. But that's another issue..)
The only thing that drives me crazy, Con, is your constant dribble on this forum and Radio 5RPH about IFAB, voting rights of Wales being 50 times the power of whoever, blah, blah, blah . Get over it...it will never change.

Russia2O18
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Russia2O18 »

Con wrote:Good points made by many:

you see the problem with that is the penalty might not have been converted, which would encourage outfield players to deliberately save goals with their hands more often

IMO if they were going to change it, they should just award a goal (as the ball was certain to be going in anyway)

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

Dear Rob Lozza (my masked man), I'm sorry your eyes have glazed over about something as basic as the Laws of the Game, the very soul of any sport.

You are wrong that nothing will change. More and more countries are seething that they don't have more say on the Laws Board I.F.A.B.

You see, the South Americans (with their 9 World Cup winners especially) are angry that the British and Euro mafia patronize them with the adage: " South Americans Latins don't do committees @ IFAB And FIFA well".

Eventually Lozz, you'll find they won't tolerate being patronized and expect more input into running of the game at IFAB and FIFA. They WILL cause a spill at a FIFA Congress, get 2/3s of a majority of the 208 nations under FIFA, and get urgently-needed 21st restructure of those organizations.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con, it's OUR game and if you won't play by OUR rules, we'll take our ball home. So there. :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

seanason
Star Player
Star Player

Post by seanason »

If the Referee followed the rules to the letter of the law, then the laws need to be changed.

His eyes were shut and his hands behind his chest. The intention was never to handle the ball.