MAN.UTD. vs CELTIC

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

yogi
Star Player
Star Player

MAN.UTD. vs CELTIC

Post by yogi »

Man Utd v Celtic

Old Trafford
Wednesday, 13 September
Kick-off: 1945 BST
Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live

Manchester United pair Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes are both expected to start against Celtic after completing their three-match bans.

Park Ji-sung (minor knock) and Edwin van der Sar (stomach bug) both missed training on Tuesday but are expected to be fit for the Champions League match.

Celtic's Stephen McManus, Gary Caldwell and Lee Naylor are all injury doubts.

The defenders could only manage light training following the Glasgow side's arrival in Manchester on Tuesday.

McManus (thigh) and Gary Caldwell (heal) have been carrying injuries for some time and these were aggravated during the weekend victory over Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

Recent signing Naylor will also be taking it easy before the clash in Manchester having twisted his ankle in training.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Rooney, Saha, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Scholes, Solskjaer, O'Shea, Richardson, Fletcher, Jones, Silvestre.

Celtic (from): Boruc, Wilson, Caldwell, McManus, Naylor, Nakamura, Lennon, Gravesen, McGeady, Zurawski, Miller, Vennegoor of Hesselink, Pearson, Riordan, Sno, Jarosik, Marshall, Cuthbert.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.
Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.
European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).
Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

Manchester United and Celtic have never met each other before in European competition. United have played Scottish sides four times and they have never been beaten. Their only loss of points came in November 1984 when they drew 2-2 at home to Dundee United in the Uefa Cup. Since then, the Red Devils have won all three matches against Scottish opposition.

Celtic have played clubs from England 12 times, winning half of them. In away matches, Celtic have lost only one of their visits to English clubs. Since they lost 2-0 at Liverpool on 19 April 1966 in the Cup Winners' Cup semi-finals, they are unbeaten in their last five visits, drawing twice and winning three times on English soil. Their last two visits, at Blackburn Rovers in November 2002 and Liverpool in March 2003, were both won 2-0. Overall, Celtic are unbeaten in their last six matches against English clubs. They suffered their last 'English' defeat on 7 December 1983 when Nottingham Forest won 2-1 at Parkhead.

European history

Manchester United have won the Champions Cup/Champions League twice (1968, 1999), the Cup Winners' Cup once (1991) and got hold of both the European Super Cup (1991) and the Intercontinental Club Cup (1999). United are taking part in their 12th Champions League season. Last season, they did not progress beyond the group stages for the first time since 1996-97. Their early exit ended a string of nine successive appearances in the knock-out stages.

Celtic have won the Champions Cup once, in 1967. They were the first British team to win the trophy. Manchester United were the second, just one year later. This is Celtic's fourth Champions League appearance. They have failed to negotiate the group phase in each of their three previous participations.

Current European form

Celtic have never won an away match in the Champions League. Their streak of nine CL away matches without ever winning is no record. Olympiakos from Greece are the record holders as they have not won any of their 28 CL away games.

Manchester United have not won in their last four Champions League matches. Last season, they finished their campaign with two draws and two losses against Lille (twice), Villarreal and Benfica. At home, United are unbeaten in their last three CL matches.

Player and disciplinary info

Cristiano Ronaldo is suspended for this match. Gary Neville (92), Ryan Giggs (87) and Paul Scholes (84) are players from the United squad that rank amongst the 10 players with most CL appearances.

Newly acquired players Jiri Jarosik (32 matches, five goals) and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (29 matches, four goals) are the most seasoned players in the Celtic CL squad.

Other miscellaneous facts

Manchester United have made a 100% start to their League season. Four wins out of four is their best ever opening to a Premiership campaign.

Both United and Celtic top their domestic leagues. Celtic have picked up 13 points from the first available 18.

gees that 2nd paragraph in the "european history" section is fantastic.
i quote, "THE 1ST BRITISH TEAM TO WIN THE TROPHY" :D
c'monnnnnnnnnnnn,celtic.
my honest prediction,sadly tho,man.utd. 2 - celtic 1. :cry:

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

3-0 for utd .. that's my prediction !!

Olympic (Vista) Bhoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Olympic (Vista) Bhoy »

ronaldo07 wrote:3-0 for utd .. that's my prediction !!
1-1 Naka with a last minute curling free-kick to get us an away point. 8)

Ned
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ned »

SBS 4 o"clock.

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

and ESPN too!

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

pfffft id rather be at some kinezo internet cafe at 4am watching Milan-AEK
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mattieg1200
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by mattieg1200 »

nah i think this game wil be closer than evry1 thinks

saints
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by saints »

Just seen Nakamura free kick on tv for celtic...whooshka what a free kick!

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

great 1st half!

but we killed em in possesion and shots on goal... saha shoulda scored 4 and rooney had a chance 1on1 with the keeper but he saved it!!

celtics keeper was great, a lil unlucky with the penalty, but he did collide with giggs...

also graveason is a work horse, shoulda signed him b4 he went 2 madrid

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

WHO WON?????

web
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by web »

It was 3-2 to Man u.
i really enjoyed the game...
celts played well. now we have to keep it going our next 2 games are at home.looks promising.
and also the other 0-0- result was good for us
You are more than welcome to Bring It On.

HAIL HAIL

yogi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by yogi »

MUFCBOY wrote:great 1st half!

but we killed em in possesion and shots on goal... saha shoulda scored 4 and rooney had a chance 1on1 with the keeper but he saved it!!

celtics keeper was great, a lil unlucky with the penalty, but he did collide with giggs...

also graveason is a work horse, shoulda signed him b4 he went 2 madrid
congrats to man.u, you didnt have it all your own way. we were 1-0 up and drew level 2-2 remember mufcboy. also, you forgot to mention when it was 1-1 venegoor of hessilink ( VOH ) headed straight at van de sar, which would of made it 2-1 celts. giggs collided with boruc not the other way, he dived / dropped anyway, the contact wasnt enough to knock him over, he played for it and why wouldnt you, im sure celtic would of if the opportunity came up at the other end.
gravesen looked good, but was at fault for 2 of their goals.
good result for celtic with benfica and copenhagen drawing 0-0.

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

5 wins in a row ..
what can i say ??
Go Utd !!

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

this was what happened during the match lol

Pimpong
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pimpong »

Tribal Football: Could have scored ten!!!

Manchester United shrugged off the disappointment of last season's Champions League campaign with a thrilling victory over a battling Celtic outfit.
It only took United 17 minutes to score as many goals as they did in the whole of the Group stages last year.

Celtic took the lead on 20 minutes through Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink to begin an amazing period of five goals in 26 minutes either side of half time.

Celtic keeper Artur Boruc was then adjudged to have brought down Ryan Giggs with the slightest of touches and Louis Saha converted the penalty. The Frenchman gave the home side the lead just before the interval only for Shunsuke Nakamura to equalise almost immediately with a brilliantly curled free kick.

The scoring was completed a minute after the restart when substitute Ole Gunnar Solskjaer drove home after Boruc could only parry a fierce Saha shot

"I think the goal encouraged Celtic," said Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson. "Up to that point they had shown little attacking ambition.

"In fairness though Celtic made it a hell of a game. They could have scored again from a header but having said all that we did fantastically well to come back and take the lead before slackness at the back cost us again.

"At the end of the day the one thing Celtic can take from this game is that many teams come here and defend in depth and hope to get a result. Celtic did show some ambition.

"But in the final analysis we could have scored ten!

"Some slack finishing and three good saves from Boruc, but in the end I'll take the three points."

Ferguson also revealed that Ryan Giggs would be out for three weeks with a hamstring injury.

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

Scholes looks sharp .. he's the key man against arsenal this weekend ..
too bad giggsy is out pffft ...

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

Im a big ManUtd fan .. and my mate is anti-manutd juz like lftwng ...

i said manutd will win this match easily, and he said celtic will at least get a draw .. then we bet on something ...

"If ManUtd lost or draw in that game, I'll have to eat any food that's start with letter 'M' (stand for ManUtd) for 1 week"

"If Celtic lost, my mate have to eat any food that start with letter 'C' (stand for Celtic) for 1 week " ...

Hmmm .. now i was wondering what he'll be eating for this week ...

C0-ck ? Cucumber ? Chicken ? Hmmm .. interesting !!
Last edited by ronaldo07 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

ronaldo07 wrote:Im a big ManUtd fan .. and my mate is anti-manutd juz like lftwng ...

i said manutd will win this match easily, and he said celtic will at least get a draw .. then we bet on something ...

"If ManUtd lost or draw in that game, I'll have to eat any food that's start with letter 'M' (stand for ManUtd) for 1 week"

"If Celtic lost, my mate have to eat any food that start with letter 'C' (stand for Celtic) for 1 week " ...

grenache ? Cucumber ? Chicken ? Hmmm .. interesting !!
CAT!!!!

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

ronaldo07 wrote:Scholes looks sharp .. he's the key man against arsenal this weekend ..
too bad giggsy is out pffft ...
did giggs get injured?

i just fluffing bought him for fantasy league :twisted:

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

yep he's injured and will be out for 3 weeks ...
u should buy scholes :lol:

El Capitano
Star Player
Star Player

Post by El Capitano »

paul merson wrote:
ronaldo07 wrote:Im a big ManUtd fan .. and my mate is anti-manutd juz like lftwng ...

CAT!!!!
CatDog....qaulity show 8)
Feel Good Inc.

Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 7 »

paul merson wrote:

CAT!!!!
Well he ronaldo07 is not only cooked in the head, but also malaysian. So you never know.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

lol
soonhaut or however u spell it. 3-2 is not an easy win. lol ur right 7 cooked in the head he is hahaha

Jono82
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jono82 »

Pimpong wrote:Tribal Football: Could have scored ten!!!

Manchester United shrugged off the disappointment of last season's Champions League campaign with a thrilling victory over a battling Celtic outfit.
It only took United 17 minutes to score as many goals as they did in the whole of the Group stages last year.

Celtic took the lead on 20 minutes through Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink to begin an amazing period of five goals in 26 minutes either side of half time.

Celtic keeper Artur Boruc was then adjudged to have brought down Ryan Giggs with the slightest of touches and Louis Saha converted the penalty. The Frenchman gave the home side the lead just before the interval only for Shunsuke Nakamura to equalise almost immediately with a brilliantly curled free kick.

The scoring was completed a minute after the restart when substitute Ole Gunnar Solskjaer drove home after Boruc could only parry a fierce Saha shot

"I think the goal encouraged Celtic," said Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson. "Up to that point they had shown little attacking ambition.

"In fairness though Celtic made it a hell of a game. They could have scored again from a header but having said all that we did fantastically well to come back and take the lead before slackness at the back cost us again.

"At the end of the day the one thing Celtic can take from this game is that many teams come here and defend in depth and hope to get a result. Celtic did show some ambition.

"But in the final analysis we could have scored ten!

"Some slack finishing and three good saves from Boruc, but in the end I'll take the three points."

Ferguson also revealed that Ryan Giggs would be out for three weeks with a hamstring injury.
Any credibility you may have gained in your previous 41 posts was completely blown away by the first 2 words of your post...

Tribal Football

It is the biggest crock on the internet - with articles that are sometimes completely made up! :roll:

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

malaysian didnt eat cat + dog !!

yogi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by yogi »

ronaldo07 wrote:this was what happened during the match lol

SEE EVERYONE WANTS A PIECE OF CELTIC........ :lol:

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

lol @ yogi
i think the fans want to tear the flag apart lol !!

Crazy-North
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Crazy-North »

ohhh yehhhh how did u draw dat conclusion ronaldo??? (sarcastic)

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

i just dont think any fans want to be part of the opponent team supporter... that draw the conclusion clearly