roy keane to sunderland

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

arxidi
Star Player
Star Player

roy keane to sunderland

Post by arxidi »

roy keane has been appointed as sunderland's new manager.

Former Manchester United and Ireland captain Roy Keane was officially announced as manager of ailing second division club Sunderland on Monday.

The 35-year-old signed a three-year contract after watching Sunderland's 2-0 home win against West Bromwich Albion which gave them their first points in five games this season.

"This represents a major coup for our football club," chairman Niall Quinn, Keane's former international team mate, told the Sunderland Web site.

"The fact that one of the most influential figures in the world of football is willing to come and help unlock the massive potential here should make all Sunderland fans very happy and excited for the future.

"Roy Keane's standards of professionalism are legendary and his desire and determination to succeed are precisely what this club requires," added Quinn.

It is former midfielder Keane's first managerial position after ending his 18-year playing career, which also included spells at Nottingham Forest and Celtic, in June.

Quinn had been working in the dual role of manager and chairman after a consortium he led bought a controlling interest in the club last month.

INDOMITABLE WILL

Renowned for his indomitable will to win and rugged tackling, Keane played a pivotal part in Manchester United's success after joining from Nottingham Forest in 1993 for a then

British transfer record of 3.75 million pounds ($7.11 million).

He won seven league titles and four FA Cups with United, and was team captain until his departure last year following a disagreement with manager Alex Ferguson.

Keane moved to Celtic last December and helped them to the Scottish title before being advised to quit by doctors because of a persistent hip problem.

Cork-born Keane won 66 caps for Ireland and played in the 1994 World Cup. He retired from international soccer last October after Ireland failed to reach this year's World Cup in Germany.

Keane famously missed the 2002 World Cup after walking out shortly before the finals following a row with then manager Mick McCarthy.

Sunderland were relegated from the Premier League last season and moved off the bottom of the second division thanks to Monday's win. They are 23rd in the 24-team league.

They were knocked out of the League Cup by fourth division Bury last Tuesday.
everyone is entitled to my opinion

tsss

billi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by billi »

good on him , i hope he does well as a a manger. i thnk the players will be in awe of him and play better cause he is there.

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

players will respect roy...
has he competed his badges course? i know him and neville were doin the course....
anyways like i sed 2 a mate, its a great chance for roy 2 get some experience b4 he comes and takes the reigns from sir alex!!

keano.... theres only 1 keano!!! only 1 keano

CR7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by CR7 »

bring him to adel united as player coach fits the age!