Neil on the move

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

big slick
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Neil on the move

Post by big slick »

West Ham's Lucas Neill could join Atletico Madrid due to low tax rates
By staff writers
September 03, 2009 West Ham United and Socceroos defender Lucas Neill is close to joining Spanish La Liga side Atletico Madrid due to tax benefits, according to reports in the English press.

The Sun reported that Neill will have half his earnings taxed if he remains in the Barclays Premier League, where the Hammers have offered the Australia captain £1.82 million ($3.55 million) to re-sign.

Atletico Madrid have offered £1.56m a year - £5,000 a week less - but Neill will pocket £338,000 ($659,000) more in Spain as he will only be taxed at 20 per cent.

Britain's new tax rate of 50 per cent for high earners will be implemented next April.

As previously reported by foxsports.com.au, Neill has been at the centre of ongoing speculation over where he will sign his next contract for a number of months, being linked to English clubs Sunderland, Blackburn and Hull.

Neill was also linked to a possible move to Turkish club Galatasaray where he would have linked up with fellow Socceroo Harry Kewell.

The 31-year-old ruled himself out of Australia's friendly against Korea Republic on Saturday night as he is keen to finally settle on a new playing home.

Font size: Increase font size Decrease font size Send this article: Print this article Email this article
Got Ya !!!

Ubietz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Neil on the move

Post by Ubietz »

big slick wrote:Atletico Madrid have offered £1.56m a year - £5,000 a week less - but Neill will pocket £338,000 ($659,000) more in Spain as he will only be taxed at 20 per cent.
:wink:
«Εμείς μαζί για μια ζωή»

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

It's clear that Luca$h Neill's loyalties lie with his hip pocket and not his country..........

homer
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by homer »

thats a bit harsh, i thought he always did quite well for the socceroos

he defintaly isnt a club man
We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease
George W. Bush

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

Will believe it when it happens... Athletico are a top team, will be interesting to see how he goes!

E. Grant & Co
Star Player
Star Player

Post by E. Grant & Co »

Yeah, I wouldn't leave my job for more money............much

Redders
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Redders »

heaven forbid in wanting more money for what you do...

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

If Fernando Torres left for more money I'd love to see your comments then.

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

he better hurry up and do something soon, seasons have already started

just what australia needs before a world cup, the captain without a club
Chelsea4thewin wrote: if Torres doesnt score in the next 3 games i will put a liverpool symbol as my avatar for the rest of the season

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

redders wrote:heaven forbid in wanting more money for what you do...
he couldve gone to liverpool 2 seasons ago but snubbed them for more money

hes a joke

ForzaChievo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by ForzaChievo »

Atletico Madrid >>>> West Ham

Good move.

INTERISTA
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by INTERISTA »

who the hell would want to sign an aging defender who not only missed preseason but first couple of rounds of major European comp! let alone give in to his wage demands, seriously the closet homo should just get on with it.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

madrid need a defender after heitinga left so looks like a rushed descision
ImageImage

First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by 10 »

article is clearly just playing up on the fact that everyone thinks he chases the cash. to say that a professional footballer would make a move based purely on 'tax benefits' is a joke. and anyone who believes that is the case is an even bigger joke.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt" - Bill Shankly

DON HALA MADRID
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by DON HALA MADRID »

:lol: bring on the derby

Cristiano Ronaldo vs Lucas Neil lol

:lol:
ImageImage

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

Lilly Whites wrote:If Fernando Torres left for more money I'd love to see your comments then.
yeah, it'd be strange considering he took a paycut to join us :lol: :clown:
Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

10 wrote:article is clearly just playing up on the fact that everyone thinks he chases the cash. to say that a professional footballer would make a move based purely on 'tax benefits' is a joke. and anyone who believes that is the case is an even bigger joke.
And tell us oh wise one what makes a professional footballer any different from a mining professional who might go and work in the Middle east because of the tax benefits? There is no difference - Neill is a mercenary like most in the workplace and goes where the cash is - he has already proved that by snubbing Liverpool for West Ham and now he is paying the price.

hgd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hgd »

It is a fair point about any of us with normal jobs would move for more money, I am the same. Just the difference is I don't have 50,000 people outside my office chanting my name and cheering me on while I check my emails, or worse yet, write on Football news. Loyalty has more propensity to arise where a player has been with a club his whole life a-la John Terry & Steven Gerrard. Or when a player does so well for a club and is a fan favourite it can also happen. Lucas Neill is in neither of these categories.

Also, read this morning that his agent said he is keen on Champions League Football. He has ruled out a move to Galatasaray because of this.
Atheetico would be a good move for him, and he'd play at CB where he is more suited to IMO.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

hgd wrote:..... he'd play at CB where he is more suited to IMO.

Best position is bench warmer :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower