Tony Waiters dies at 83 years old

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Tony Waiters dies at 83 years old

Post by Old Master »

Former Blackpool and England goalkeeper Tony Waiters passes away, aged 83

By Matt Scrafton Tuesday, 10th November 2020, 10:50 am

The shot stopper made over 250 appearances for the Seasiders between 1959 and 1967 and was also capped five times by his country.

Waiters was called up for England’s initial 40-man World Cup-winning squad in 1966 but was left out of the final 22.

After finishing his playing career, Waiters went on to manage Plymouth Argyle, leading them to promotion from Division Three during the 1974/75 season.

Paul Hart, of the Argyle Legends former players’ association, posted the following tribute on Facebook.

He said: “The world is a poorer place this morning with the devastating news that the great Tony Waiters has sadly passed away at the age of 83.

“Tony has left a legacy that will be remembered by many across the world. His achievements in football are seconded only by his devotion to his lovely family.

“Our thoughts are with his wife Anne and their two children Scott and Victoria. RIP Tony. I am honoured to have met you.”

Waiters later went on to manage Vancouver Whitecaps and the Canadian national side on two occasions.

He also played for Bishop Auckland, Macclesfield Town and Burnley during his playing career.

Blackpool said in a statement: "Blackpool Football Club is saddened to learn of the passing of former goalkeeper Tony Waiters at the age of 83.

"Born in Southport, Tony joined the Seasiders from Macclesfield Town in 1959 and went on to make more than 250 league appearances for the Club.

"Capped five times for England during his time at Bloomfield Road, he later went on to manage Plymouth Argyle, the Vancouver Whitecaps and the Canadian national team.

"Our thoughts and condolences go out to Tony's wife Anne and all the family."

Tony was a big favourite of the Blackpool Supporters during his time at the club and his passing will bring a tear or two to many people in Blackpool.
He was a great 'keeper and was very unlucky to have been around at the same time as Banks and Bonetti or he would have played many more times for England.
Vale Tiny Waiters. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Tony Waiters dies at 83 years old

Post by God is an Englishman »

Very rare to have a small goalkeeper, or was his name ironic like Little John?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:35 pm Very rare to have a small goalkeeper, or was his name ironic like Little John?
it took me 6 reads to get that!!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Sorry for the mis-type chaps and thanks for pointing it out.

There again, he did probably get called 'Tiny' by opposing forwards as he was an imposing figure in goals.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details