England - 2019-20 Championship (formerly the 18-19 EPL)

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: England - 2017-18 EPL (formerly Championship thread)

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Con M wrote:....what to make of Pochettino’s hint that he’s gonna ask Levy & friends for more squad money & especially the comment “or any other” (manager) that follows him will have to do same?
:lol: I can't think of a single manager, especially in the PL, that won't be asking for more money for transfers and I'm sure, if the opportunity to manage Barca or Real was offered to Poch, that he'd ask to be released. No manager lasts forever, but I think the good ones (think Shankly, Ferguson and even Wenger) leave a legacy mentality that carries the club forward for many years after they leave.
http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier ... ve-seasons

ConM net spend last five years Gunners 188m GBP and Spurs 2m GBP.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

ozzie owl wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Con M wrote:....what to make of Pochettino’s hint that he’s gonna ask Levy & friends for more squad money & especially the comment “or any other” (manager) that follows him will have to do same?
:lol: I can't think of a single manager, especially in the PL, that won't be asking for more money for transfers and I'm sure, if the opportunity to manage Barca or Real was offered to Poch, that he'd ask to be released. No manager lasts forever, but I think the good ones (think Shankly, Ferguson and even Wenger) leave a legacy mentality that carries the club forward for many years after they leave.

net spend is the biggest waste of paper ever written on. People use it for their own agenda, it means f**k all,

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

ozzie owl wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Don't start with net spend! I could sell my BMW for $10k and by 3 Lada's for $10K(generous I know) but does that make me better off. The Mag's have been spouting net spend for months trying to justify Benitez.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
has fergie left a mentality? they went from good to bad overnight :lol:
Temporarily maybe, but aren't they above your club?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
has fergie left a mentality? they went from good to bad overnight :lol:
He knew when to leave.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Temporarily maybe, but aren't they above your club?
they have been most the time for the past 30 years!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Re: England - 2018-19 EPL (formerly the 2017-18 thread)

Post by swannsong »

Minor adjustment to the thread title :D

(about to enter its 10th year)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Re: England - 2018-19 EPL (formerly the 2017-18 EPL thread)

Post by swannsong »

Latest signing for Huddersfield...goalkeeper Ben Harmer from Leicester...
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Wȁpita
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wȁpita »

You should just name it "Huddersfield And Friends By Association".
Why is half a day at home more tiring than a week at work?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

I see the FA is looking to buckle to the big 6 clubs who are demanding a bigger share of overseas EPL rights. Lookimg to protect their own position at expense of the other EPL sides, this will make it harder for the smaller clubs to compete even further.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:I see the FA is looking to buckle to the big 6 clubs who are demanding a bigger share of overseas EPL rights. Lookimg to protect their own position at expense of the other EPL sides, this will make it harder for the smaller clubs to compete even further.
We live in a free market, why should LFC v Man Utd on TV fund small clubs? It's up to them to earn their money.
You do realise that UK rights are based on appearances as well.

If we goto other methods with financial equality it gets boring like AFL and A-League,

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:I see the FA is looking to buckle to the big 6 clubs who are demanding a bigger share of overseas EPL rights. Lookimg to protect their own position at expense of the other EPL sides, this will make it harder for the smaller clubs to compete even further.
We live in a free market, why should LFC v Man Utd on TV fund small clubs? It's up to them to earn their money.

If we goto other methods with financial equality it gets boring like AFL and A-League,
Easy to say as an LFC supporter. Bet if you were Stoke City supporter you wouldnt have same view.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:

Easy to say as an LFC supporter. Bet if you were Stoke City supporter you wouldnt have same view.
I have no issue with the wealth of City, Chelsea, Utd, Madrid etc. It's the same. It's up to all of us to chase what is in front of us.

Only you on here ever bemoans the top club's wealth. We are not taking other club's money.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:

my club has less money than stoke and probably 40 other clubs. Survival of the fittest, this isn't russia.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:

Free market!! Give me a break, you weren’t singing that song when you were mid table dross raking in the cash from the tv interest generated by the successful EPL clubs. Spuds are a big club???? How so? they’re just wonfuckall nobodies without the tv hand outs. The English league is but the sum of it’s parts, you want a good league or not. Too easy for the rapacious to forget why the world switches on to EPL and why the standard of Div 2 etc. continues to rise. If the self anointed big 6 think they can do it on their own then why don’t they just fµck off and have a 6 team league where they can sit on their piles of money feeling so special….. until it all turns to cabernet and the foreigners can’t jump ship quick enough.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

God is an Englishman wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
my club has less money than stoke and probably 40 other clubs. Survival of the fittest, this isn't russia.
Will you be asking millwall to hand back the £4.3 mil they got this season alone, their share of the solidarity payments from the EPL tv money

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:

Free market!! Give me a break, you weren’t singing that song when you were mid table dross raking in the cash from the tv interest generated by the successful EPL clubs. Spuds are a big club???? How so? they’re just wonfuckall nobodies without the tv hand outs. The English league is but the sum of it’s parts, you want a good league or not. Too easy for the rapacious to forget why the world switches on to EPL and why the standard of Div 2 etc. continues to rise. If the self anointed big 6 think they can do it on their own then why don’t they just fµck off and have a 6 team league where they can sit on their piles of money feeling so special….. until it all turns to cabernet and the foreigners can’t jump ship quick enough.
Clearly you have enjoyed a liquid lunch. League position is not relevant to being a big club or not.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Will you be asking millwall to hand back the £4.3 mil they got this season alone, their share of the solidarity payments from the EPL tv money
Why would I do that?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

This move by the big 6 is aimed at protecting their own position nothing more nothing less. Not a free market move but a move by an economic cartel seeking to gain futher advantages to ensure no other clubs can break in to their group.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:This move by the big 6 is aimed at protecting their own position nothing more nothing less. Not a free market move but a move by an economic cartel seeking to gain futher advantages to ensure no other clubs can break in to their group.
Protecting their own position - sounds like a free market move to me. What are they going to do if the FA says NO?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Yet it was once a so called big 4 now top 6 that also changes dependant on investment

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

N5 1BH wrote:
Why would I do that?
Wouldn’t those hand outs conflict with your free market principles?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:
Clearly you have enjoyed a liquid lunch. League position is not relevant to being a big club or not.
Actually yes I had a pea & ham Cup-A-Soup and a tiger roll. It was okay but I think the mug I used was a bit big coz it was a tad watery. So you say that football has no relevance as to whether a football club is a big club or not, interesting. Do you favour the Spanish tv format where each club negotiates it’s own tv deal and keeps all the money to themselves

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:Wouldn’t those hand outs conflict with your free market principles?
No, they used their free market position to accept the offer that was on the table. They're not hand outs either, a marketing position was established and the money earnt.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

N5 1BH wrote:Wouldn’t those hand outs conflict with your free market principles?
No, they used their free market position to accept the offer that was on the table. They're not hand outs either, a marketing position was established and the money earnt.
So millwall earned their money from the EPL by staying in Div 2 and not appearing on EPL broadcasts & shows? I see where you're coming from

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:
Actually yes I had a pea & ham Cup-A-Soup and a tiger roll. It was okay but I think the mug I used was a bit big coz it was a tad watery. So you say that football has no relevance as to whether a football club is a big club or not, interesting. Do you favour the Spanish tv format where each club negotiates it’s own tv deal and keeps all the money to themselves
Just before Liverpool were taken over, we almost went into administration, but we were still a big club.
Rangers have no money but are a big club

We (for now) are looking at overseas TV money - not the big pot of domestic rights.

Diabetic Squirrels
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Diabetic Squirrels »

ozzie owl wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:

He'd be stoked.
We'll eat your cake and shít snickers

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:
So millwall earned their money from the EPL by staying in Div 2 and not appearing on EPL broadcasts & shows? I see where you're coming from
They earnt it by being in the championship and being part of a deal that was made.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

A deal brokered by the football collective whereby the distribution of the EPL cash is regulated by them for the benefit of the football league as a whole. Basically the higher earning bracket premier league clubs are taxed to provide cash benefits to the lower league clubs in order to raise the base standard of the entire league. It might not be free market but I think there is a word for that concept, escapes me though.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:A deal brokered by the football collective whereby the distribution of the EPL cash is regulated by them for the benefit of the football league as a whole. Basically the higher earning bracket premier league clubs are taxed to provide cash benefits to the lower league clubs in order to raise the base standard of the entire league. It might not be free market but I think there is a word for that concept, escapes me though.
Well it is a free market because that was the deal brokered? Now they are using free market principles to renegotiate that deal. It's very similar to the parachute payments that were negotiated to relegated teams.