Nedved to retire

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nedved to retire

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Juventus midfielder Pavel Nedved has announced he will hang up his boots and retire at the end of this season.

The 2003 Ballon d'Or winner recently turned 36 and Juventus have been actively searching for a replacement.

“In principle, I always decided to retire at the end of this season depending on how I was,” Nedved explained.

“Instead, I have now pre-empted that decision because of the way I feel inside. I have spoken a lot with my wife and we made this decision together.”

Nedved joined Juventus in 2001 and has made 238 appearances for the Turin giants, winning three Scudetti, one of which was later revoked.

“My wife is a little tired of it all and I have a lot to re-pay my family,” Nedved revealed. “I have to be with them more.

“I am enjoying myself a lot at the moment, but I believe that physically and mentally the moment has arrived to leave space to the youngsters.

“They deserve to play,” Nedved admitted. “Perhaps it seems to you that I am still young but I am nearly 37 and I believe that the moment is right to stop.”

The Czech has a contract with Juventus until June 30 2009 and is certain he will not change his mind and broker an extension.

“I don't believe there will be a rethink. There is no need to think about it again. The right moment has arrived,” he said.

“I would like to close my career with a victory in the Champions League. I believe that the next three months will be hellish.”

Juventus lost 1-0 in the first leg of their Champions League Second Round tie with Chelsea last night.

“The result against Chelsea wasn't great,” Nedved concluded. “But anything can happen in the second leg.

“I think its 55-45 in their favour because they are ahead on aggregate by a goal. It will be a very difficult game, but not impossible.”

Nedved will be back in action this weekend when Juventus welcome Napoli to Turin. The Bianconeri are currently second in Serie A.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Nedved to retire

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

What a champ, will be sad to see him leave.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

His contract runs out at the end of the campaign and while there were some very basic contract renewal talks I don't think Pavel wanted to go on for another season.

However, he has certainly been a champion for Juventus since 2001. He gave everything for the club and it will be sad to see him go. A loyal player during relegation and is now back trying for his ultimate goal of European glory.

I'll remember the highs fondly, like the cracker against Piacenza in the 88th minute in 01/02 with only 2 rounds remaining that gave us a 1-0 win and a fighting chance for the Scudetto. And his goal against Real Madrid the following season - and in general his entire 2002/03 campaign. And the lows, about 15 minutes after that Real goal, the yellow card and suspension from the final, which I believe we would have won with Nedved. But that is discussion for another day.

A great player, one who will be greatly missed.

hellas_08
Star Player
Star Player

Post by hellas_08 »

very sad news .
very entertaining player

kolobaras
Star Player
Star Player

Post by kolobaras »

All Class
In 1854 Thomas Aitken had a hard earned thirst.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Will never forget his late winner in the CWC at Villa Park for Lazio vs Mallorca. What a goal.

David Puddy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by David Puddy »

Will be sadly missed, a great champion and one of my Juventus idols.
Forza Nedved, the Czech Fury! :D