Amauri Will Play For Italy

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Amauri Will Play For Italy

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

The striker is on the verge of becoming an Italian citizen and, once that happens, there is a major chance of him getting the nod from Lippi...
Juventus striker Amauri could line up for Italy in the friendly game against Brazil in February as it is expected his naturalisation will arrive on January 1. The Azzurri coach has always hinted at a possible call up and it could come sooner rather than later.

Turin-based newspaper Tuttosport claims the process Amauri's wife Cynthia will receive the paperwork within the next few weeks and, once that happens, Amauri will become an Italian citizen.

It's a simple equation, the wife has been living in Italy for over ten years and thus has an automatic right to citizenship and, because Amauri has been married to her for over three years, he also becomes an Italian citizen.

Lippi will need to move fast and ensure he gives the Bianconeri hit-man a call before Brazil coach Carlos Dunga.

The 1994 World Cup winner has not yet called Amauri but there could be some surprises in store. The hit-man has been outstanding this season and he could be the perfect replacement for Luca Toni.

The Bayern Munich man has fallen short for La Nazionale recently and he could lose his place.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Amauri Will Play For Italy

Post by ruud »

shouldnt be allowed tbh

Stevie G Anfield Legend
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stevie G Anfield Legend »

So wait, he doesn't even have any Italian heritage?

If he's good enough for the italian team why cant he just play for his own country?

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

ruud wrote:shouldnt be allowed tbh

Pinturicchio
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pinturicchio »

Amauri becomes a citizen when he signs the papers he'll become just as Italian as Del Piero or Totti. His wife has been living in Italy for 10 years. My Dad wasn't born here.. but hes an Australian citizen therefore Australian and has every right as everybody else born here same should go for Amauri let him play!

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

How many have played for Holland Ruud that were born in surinam?

Amauri has been in Italy almost ten years, Brazil have never called him - thats their problem.

I believe Marcos Senna was only in Spain for 4-5 years before he was capped? No one said anything about that.

Napoli
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Napoli »

If he's going to put them away for Italy like he has for Juve - SIGN HIM UP!!!

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

He has no heritage which annoys me. If he was an oriundo, then ok, but he is not. Add to that, one day he is Brazilian the next Italian, and he is a chardonnay.

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

ruud wrote:shouldnt be allowed tbh

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

Scudetto8687 wrote:How many have played for Holland Ruud that were born in surinam?

Amauri has been in Italy almost ten years, Brazil have never called him - thats their problem.

I believe Marcos Senna was only in Spain for 4-5 years before he was capped? No one said anything about that.
errrr... thats a very different situation...

surinam people were given the choice as a colony to stay in their country, or to move to holland for a better life. Most Surinam people moved to holland and took their children with them.

I think you will find that most players that played for holland had their parents move over, and then had kids who are surinam decendents. Therefore, they are dutch with surinam heritage. Other players lived in holland since they were children.

thats very different than moving to a country just because you got a contract to play football

and has amauri even lived in italy for > 10 years? it doesnt say that in the article

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

If u chooses to play for ITALIA, let him be.
End of the day, its the same as the two croatian players, who played for croatia in 2006 WC and were from australia!
Cant remember their names, but one got 3 yellow cards!
The other is a keeper.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

I think there were three Croations in that boat - add Seric to the two you mentioned.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

So we're going to be as bad as the French now??

Balotelli I can accept as he knows no country other than Italy.

Amauri is simply a piece of sh*t who has toyed with Lippi and Dunga for months now and has no real loyalty to his own country let alone Italy.

Are we worse than Brazil that we need to call their rejects?? No

So lets call up another man who is topping the capocannoniere charts with more goals than Amauri: MARCO DI VAIO (problem solved)

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

Funny this has come to a head so soon, it was mentioned in match reports from the weekend...

The FIFA rule has a five year residency + a requirement to be a citizen of the country to be represented, the 5 year residency rule was imposed as a direct result of the influx of Brazilians to foerign countries.

If the guy has lived there for more than 5 years and he is a citizen then he is in, no questions asked.

The moral dilema of a national team being over-run with "foreigners" is a bigger challenge but mostly to individuals supporting the nation , not the players themselves.

As a migrant myself, I firmly believe that you chose to live where you live, not where you are born, so other than a residency qualifying period their should be no other barriers.

Tony Adams
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Tony Adams »

im split
if he only wants citizenship to play international football then NO
but, if he feels italian, wants to b italian live there after his career and embrace the culture then thats a differant story (for example ivanovic for us), i know my nonno & nonna say they r australian even though they came here when they were 20 odd.

at the end of the day though only he knows his intentions. so its a very hard call
"Victoria Concordia Crescit"

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

povman1964 wrote:Funny this has come to a head so soon, it was mentioned in match reports from the weekend...

The FIFA rule has a five year residency + a requirement to be a citizen of the country to be represented, the 5 year residency rule was imposed as a direct result of the influx of Brazilians to foerign countries.

If the guy has lived there for more than 5 years and he is a citizen then he is in, no questions asked.

The moral dilema of a national team being over-run with "foreigners" is a bigger challenge but mostly to individuals supporting the nation , not the players themselves.

As a migrant myself, I firmly believe that you chose to live where you live, not where you are born, so other than a residency qualifying period their should be no other barriers.
Its not an issue of whether he qualifies, he is eligible easily but he has said for months, he basically does not care who he represents, just whoever calls him first.

Brazil and Italy are the two greatest footballing nations on earth and shouldn't be subjected to these sort of comments. You either have your heart in it or you dont play.

Amauri is very good and will score goals, but he is not a Baggio or a Pele and there's a good chance in someone like Di Vaio we can take a real Italian to wear the shirt that does the job.

Napoli
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Napoli »

He still may not play for Italy yet. Has Lippi commented on him yet? Has he said he will call him up?

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

my opinions on this are well documented. You should only be allowed to represent a country that you are entitled at birth to hold the passport of.

So to give some sporting examples:

amuari cannot play for italy
pietersen can choose s africa or England
symonds can choose england or west indies
my kids can choose England or australia
i can choose England only.
kewell can choose England or australia
Cahill can choose England, australia or samoa
Things I am owed because they're too tight to pay up:

Colossus: One House

Costa: One Lunch

Oh and add in

Colossus: one photo and one letter from his "attorney".

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Napoli wrote:He still may not play for Italy yet. Has Lippi commented on him yet? Has he said he will call him up?
Tuttosport (which is to be taken with a pinch of salt) claim Lippi will debut him against, ironically, his native Brazil.

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

Hawksey, the rules on citizenship eligibility are set by each individual country around the world, some are more restrictive than others, for example Tim Cahill may have qualified to play for Ireland as under some circumstances Grand Parents, and even Great Grand Parents can be put into play according to the Irish regulations...

A classic example of applying your rule would be the "Greek-Softball" team at the Olypmics in Athens, virtually none of them had even been to Greece, but by family ancestory they were suited up in blue and white and given the chance to represent "their country" , I consider that to be more of a joke than the fact that a guy who lives in Italy for 10 years wants to play for the country.

The at birth citizenship process would preclude many people from representing counties they were bought up in from birth, eg Symonds was 3 months old when his adoptive parents came to Australia , so you are saying he cannot represent the only country he calls home ?

You are a hard man ...

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

povman1964 wrote:Hawksey, the rules on citizenship eligibility are set by each individual country around the world, some are more restrictive than others, for example Tim Cahill may have qualified to play for Ireland as under some circumstances Grand Parents, and even Great Grand Parents can be put into play according to the Irish regulations...

A classic example of applying your rule would be the "Greek-Softball" team at the Olypmics in Athens, virtually none of them had even been to Greece, but by family ancestory they were suited up in blue and white and given the chance to represent "their country" , I consider that to be more of a joke than the fact that a guy who lives in Italy for 10 years wants to play for the country.

The at birth citizenship process would preclude many people from representing counties they were bought up in from birth, eg Symonds was 3 months old when his adoptive parents came to Australia , so you are saying he cannot represent the only country he calls home ?

You are a hard man ...
on the final one, no he can't. He's not australian, he was not born in australia, his parents are not australian.

As for Cahill, his grand mother is irish so under FIFA rules he does qualify, in fact they tried to get him.

My kids have never lived in England, but I consider them to be English. How mnay people on here, have never lived in italy or greece but consider themselves to be greek/italian due to their parentage.

Oh and add in

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

Symonds was adopted, we do not know the heritage of his biological parents, there is some conjecture about West Indian father but no idea of the mother, maybe she was an Aussie ?

Do we apply the rules of his adoptive parents, which would be a different story or just the biological parents, who may be unknown ?

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

Cesc Fabulous wrote:im split
if he only wants citizenship to play international football then NO
but, if he feels italian, wants to b italian live there after his career and embrace the culture then thats a differant story (for example ivanovic for us), i know my nonno & nonna say they r australian even though they came here when they were 20 odd.

at the end of the day though only he knows his intentions. so its a very hard call
agreed

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

ruud wrote:
Scudetto8687 wrote:How many have played for Holland Ruud that were born in surinam?

errrr... thats a very different situation...

surinam people were given the choice as a colony to stay in their country, or to move to holland for a better life. Most Surinam people moved to holland and took their children with them.

I think you will find that most players that played for holland had their parents move over, and then had kids who are surinam decendents. Therefore, they are dutch with surinam heritage. Other players lived in holland since they were children.

thats very different than moving to a country just because you got a contract to play football

and has amauri even lived in italy for > 10 years? it doesnt say that in the article
Dont worry about the article, he has been in Italy since 1999.

We will agree to disagree on this one - what about Marcos Senna - that ok is it?

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

povman1964 wrote:Symonds was adopted, we do not know the heritage of his biological parents, there is some conjecture about West Indian father but no idea of the mother, maybe she was an Aussie ?

Do we apply the rules of his adoptive parents, which would be a different story or just the biological parents, who may be unknown ?
i thought he knew the mother was English, either way he was born there. Symonds is slightly different in terms of his adoption but the facts still remain he wasn't born here and has no heritage link to the place. It always makes me laugh that aussie go on about pietersen but at least he has English heritage, yet stay quiet about people like symonds, other sportsman and a lot of musicians etc...

Oh and add in

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

povman1964 wrote:A classic example of applying your rule would be the "Greek-Softball" team at the Olypmics in Athens, virtually none of them had even been to Greece, but by family ancestory they were suited up in blue and white and given the chance to represent "their country" , I consider that to be more of a joke than the fact that a guy who lives in Italy for 10 years wants to play for the country.
Or like the Jamaican World Cup side - many of those players were English-born with distant Jamaican roots. There a lots of grey areas in this debate, and it comes down to your personal opinion.

I have lots of mates who were born in Australia, and only their grandparents were born in Italy, and they feel more Italian than Australian.

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

Napoli wrote:If he's going to put them away for Italy like he has for Juve - SIGN HIM UP!!!
bloody oath - he's quality.... it's dunga's fault - he sticks with Robinho, Ronnie, Adriano, Kaka, Luis Fabiano, etc in attack...

PS - Balotelli is a very different case - He was born in Palermo to his Ghanaian parents and adopted by the Balotelli's of Palermo who named him MARIO and raised him....therefore the fact that he wasn't officially an Italian until 18...hmmm... but he's a wog now... hahah beast of a kid
"Inzaghi is simply a grenache with ears," - Reggina

Tony Adams
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Tony Adams »

Hawkesy wrote:
povman1964 wrote:Symonds was adopted, we do not know the heritage of his biological parents, there is some conjecture about West Indian father but no idea of the mother, maybe she was an Aussie ?

i thought he knew the mother was English, either way he was born there. Symonds is slightly different in terms of his adoption but the facts still remain he wasn't born here and has no heritage link to the place. It always makes me laugh that aussie go on about pietersen but at least he has English heritage, yet stay quiet about people like symonds, other sportsman and a lot of musicians etc...
dont really know much about roy's background but from what i understand
he has been in australie since 3 months old ~ which means
*he was raised here
*went to school here
*learnt cricket here
*lives here
*would have no memory of life any where else due to being an infant when moving here
*is culturally australian ~ not english and not west indian
*all his friends r here
*came through domestic cricket here
*rightfully has a citizenship here ~ thus on his passport internationally recognised as an aussie (not adopted by english and rumour has it a jamaican biological father and maybe an english mother)

essentially everything that andrew symonds (the good and bad) is because of his life and upbringing as an australian in australia not because of his small amount of time in england

there really is no comparison here to the amauri case

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Cesc Fabulous wrote:dont really know much about roy's background but from what i understand
*he was raised here
*went to school here
*learnt cricket here
*lives here
*would have no memory of life any where else due to being an infant when moving here
*all his friends r here
*rightfully has a citizenship here ~ thus on his passport internationally recognised as an aussie (not adopted by english and rumour has it a jamaican biological father and maybe an english mother)

essentially everything that andrew symonds (the good and bad) is because of his life and upbringing as an australian in australia not because of his small amount of time in england

will agree that symonds is different to amauri and have always argued that your parents are mor involved in your "nationality" than your place of birth and country of residence etc.. In this case his parental upbringing has been australian. BUT you have to draw a line, and that in my opinion should be time of birth.

Oh and add in

Tony Adams
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Tony Adams »

Hawkesy wrote:
Cesc Fabulous wrote:dont really know much about roy's background but from what i understand
*he was raised here
*went to school here
*learnt cricket here
*lives here
*all his friends r here

will agree that symonds is different to amauri and have always argued that your parents are mor involved in your "nationality" than your place of birth and country of residence etc.. In this case his parental upbringing has been australian. BUT you have to draw a line, and that in my opinion should be time of birth.
your right a line needs to be drawn, in sport my opinion is ur country of birth, where u we raised and developed and ur heritage to up to ur grandparents . in roys case he feels, loves, is and will always be australian so he has a right to be so

he was only 3months old man i mean come on, he wouldnt even have a vague recollection of england all his ever known is australia and ur saying he should have to play for a foreign country because he spent a small amount of time there. why would the english want someone who doesnt feel bahave or even talk like an englishman? y would he want to play against a nation that provided him with his entire life and play for a country that has done nothing.

if you feel australian want to be australian and love australia then guess what ur australian
if you feel english want to be english and love england the guess what ur english
if you dont feel anything want to be whoever plays you in there team first and love nowhere then ur a dichead