Derby della Capitale: Roma-LAZIO

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Derby della Capitale: Roma-LAZIO

Post by Piola »

5 days til the Derby is upon us, live 6AM monday morning, RAI and I presume ESPN, the biggest match of any league so far.

Form and stats mean f*ck all, but Lazio sit 4th with 22 points, Roma 17th with 8 pts.

Here are the highlights to the last Derby which finished 3-2 to Lazio: http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=TxEpx1Hkiww

Delio Rossi about to jump into Fontana di Trevi in celebration of the win:

The 3-0 Derby of 2006: Image

Let me start with a big FORZA LAZIO ALE`
Last edited by Piola on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Derby della Capitale: Roma-LAZIO

Post by pires7 »

yep on ESPN, can't wait!

Totti ready to fire :!:

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Rossi: We're the underdogs
Monday 10 November, 2008

Lazio are fourth and Roma are 17th, but Biancocelesti boss Delio Rossi maintains the Giallorossi are favourites in next weekend's Rome derby.

Last season's Eternal City D-days were classics with Roma winning 3-2 last October and Lazio triumphing by the odd goal in five on March.

“We are looking forward to the derby and whoever can hold their nerve will end up winning,” Rossi said on Sky Sport Italia.

“The League table doesn't count at all in these games. Whoever can play in a calm fashion will win - it isn't decided by which team plays better.

“The players don't need to be told how important the game is because they are already motivated and it will be an equal game.

“Nothing has changed since last year and if Roma were favourites two months ago then they should still be today. They are the favourites technically, tactically and physically.”

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

You would think it is nearly be 'season over' for Roma if they don't get the points here.

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

EDISON CAVANI
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by EDISON CAVANI »

forza Roma! (1) as it helps Napoli and (2) because its against Lazio!
roma are looking A BIT better with the games vs chelsea and bologna

should be a cracker

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

4 home games in a row.

Who are the lucky ones now?
FOOTBALL IS A FOREIGN GAME FOR HOOLIGANS & DRUNKEN PSYCHO-FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

Italian journalist Paolo Condò said it all when he watched Sergio Fabian Zarate play against Napoli in 1992. “He’s lightning quick,” wrote the Gazzetta scribe after awarding him 4.5 out of 10. “If football was played without a ball then he would be world class.”

Zarate was handed his big Serie A chance by little Ancona 16 years ago, yet his top-flight Italian career lasted for less than six months. He was clearly not the Claudio Caniggia clone that many had painted him out to be.

Trouble seemed to be on the horizon from the minute the Paolo Belli look-a-like touched down in the peninsula. His long black hair looked out of place even for early ‘90s Italy, his selection of shirts came from the set of Magnum PI and his ‘Mouse’ nickname wasn’t all that mighty.

Nevertheless, Ancona – fresh from winning promotion from Serie B – had no option but to play the man that had wowed them while plying his trade in Germany with Nuremberg.

Zarate would only find the net for the port club on two occasions in his 11 League games. And even they were nothing to write home about when one considers they came in a single game against Zdenek Zeman’s Foggia – a side famed for being defenceless.

Zarate, who won one cap for Argentina, returned to Nuremberg after Christmas before he played out the rest of his career with a variety of clubs in the Americas.

Leaving as a Bidone, the term for a footballing flop, was the best thing he did for the Italian game. That was until, acting as an agent for his three younger brothers Rolando, Ariel and Mauro, he took the latter to Lazio.

With seven goals in 11 games, including his stunning free-kick yesterday against Siena, he’s arguably been one of the signings of the summer.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Blue Mastiff wrote:4 home games in a row.

Who are the lucky ones now?
well we're gna play 4 away games sometime next year to make up for it.
German Gustavo Denis wrote:forza Roma! (1) as it helps Napoli and (2) because its against Lazio!
mate Napoli hate both of the romano clubs. Actually, the hardnuts hate Roma even more than they hate us these days.
If you f*ck up our train stations this time, expect something bigger to actually happen :lol:
Aldo Serena wrote:You would think it is nearly be 'season over' for Roma if they don't get the points here.
Season over for us too if we lose. We aren't gonna win the Scudetto, so we have to win both Derbies.

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

not the biggest match of any league, but a big match nevertheless, i cant wait for it.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Lazio to heap more misery on Roma

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Riise: Roma-Lazio Like Liverpool-Everton
The defender played in many a good game against the Toffees in the Premier League but Roma versus Lazio is different. Riise can't wait to play in his first Italian derby and he is hoping for a win.

"I have heard that the game will be like Liverpool - Everton if not better, the atmosphere will be electric and we want to do very well," Riise told Asroma.no.

"I played many derbies in Liverpool and I am anxious to play Lazio. I am hoping we continue to do as we did against Chelsea."

Riise also had some words on coach Luciano Spalletti who has been under the microscope of late.

"I have a great relationship with the coach and I am delighted he chose me," added the stopper.
8)

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

like the Merseyside derby??? Is that meant to be an insult??? It'll hit him like a brick wall when he walks out on Sunday.

Anyway, speculation in Italy is that Roma want to dump Riise in January and loan out Menez as neither have been up to their expectations.

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

forza roma, I cant stand to hear these numb-nuts laziale supporters!
:wink:

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

Roma - Lazio

Stadio Olimpico

Roma and Lazio met for the first time on December 8, 1929, at the Cinodromo Rondinella and gave birth to one of the most important fixtures in Italian football, the Derby della Capitale. Sunday’s encounter between the Giallorossi and the Biancocelesti will add another chapter to its illustrious history and looks set to make an already open championship even more thrilling.

For the first time in several years, Lazio actually lead Roma going into the derby. The Biancocelesti currently lie fourth in Serie A and are just two points behind leaders Inter. They have won three on the bounce and are 14 points ahead of the Giallorossi after the opening 11 games of the campaign.

Despite their breathtaking start to the season, Coach Delio Rossi insists that Lazio are still underdogs this weekend.

“We are looking forward to the derby and whoever can hold their nerve will end up winning,” he said. “The League table doesn’t count at all in these games… Nothing has changed since last year and if Roma were favourites two months ago then they should still be today.”

The Biancocelesti faithful will no doubt think otherwise given the terrible form of their rivals. Roma were held at the weekend by a Bologna side coached by former Lazio talisman Sinisa Mihajlovic.

The Giallorossi have lost six times this season and are a single point above the drop zone, but many feel they are starting to turn a corner. Luciano Spalletti’s side beat Champions League runners up Chelsea 3-1 a week ago and would have taken three points away from Bologna if it were not for Cicinho’s last minute own goal, which allowed the Rossoblu to draw level.

Worrying for Spalletti, though, is the fact that Roma are struggling to find the back of the net. They also have the third worst defence in Serie A while Lazio have the best attack. Midfield playmaker David Pizarro is suspended, but Roma expect Francesco Totti and Alexander Doni to be fit in time for kick-off.

Fans will be hoping for a repeat of last season when both games were five-goal thrillers. Roma and Lazio have only suffered one defeat each at the Olimpico in 2008-09. Something surely has to give.

Keep an eye on: Mauro Zarate (Lazio) – Lazio have the best attack in Serie A largely thanks to Zarate who opened the scoring against Siena on Sunday with a free-kick Alessandro Del Piero would have been proud of. All seven of the Argentine’s goals this season have been wonderful and Roma would do well to take note.

Last season: Roma 3-2 Lazio

Form guide: Roma (L L L L D) Lazio (L L W W W)

Roma (probable): Doni; Cassetti, Panucci, Juan, Tonetto; Taddei, De Rossi, Brighi; Perrotta; Totti, Vucinic

Lazio (probable): Carrizo; Lichtsteiner, Siviglia, Rozehnal, Radu; Brocchi, Ledesma, Mauri; Pandev, Rocchi, Zarate

Ref: To follow…

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

The agent of Roma striker Julio Baptista has promised that the Brazilian forward will make his mark in this weekend's Derby della Capitale.

Baptista is yet to truly make his mark at the Stadio Olimpico and has been blighted by injury problems.

But the man nicknamed 'The Beast' is expected to start against Lazio on Sunday evening and his representative believes he will rise to the occasion.

“If Luciano Spalletti gives him the chance to play, I'm sure he will have a great game,” Herminio Menendez told Romagiallorossa.com.

“He doesn't have any physical problems at the moment and he is raring to go.

“Julio knows well what it means to play in a derby here in Rome and he wants to make an important contribution.

“He is the kind of player who never fails in these big matches. Baptista excelled when he played for Sao Paulo against Corinthians, Arsenal against Chelsea and Real Madrid against Barcelona.”

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

we will win 2-0 if De Rossi takes his foot out his muscat and controls the midfield like he did last year.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

I like that predicted Lazio lineup, I must say...

we are underdogs but if we beat Roma, thats it. Padroni di Roma ancora and shiraz off merda, shiraz off merda

Doni has to wear some headgear now, lets hope his injury fucks around with his confidence at coming out for high balls.

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

F.u.ck Lazio and Roma both.....thats what i say.

Padrono di Cuolo.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Blue Mastiff wrote:F.u.ck Lazio and Roma both.....thats what i say.

Padrono di Cuolo.
at least here's one nap that knows what he's meant to say

what's with all your paesani jumping on the riomma bandwagon?? :lol:

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

Mate im a true Nap, come form Nola provincia di Napoli.

The rest of them here are Contadini, Zappatore!

Seems like they follow other teams than theyre beloved Azzurri Napoli.

You and I are the true supporters where at the end of the day we dont give a cabernet about anyone than the 2 respective teams that lead us onto the park to do battle.

A lot of people on this forum at the end of the day think of it as just another football match. Its a way of life for them over there, a struggle against the government, theyre the minority and want to make themselves heard. A lot of the fans over there work just to travel with their team away from home, to put food on the table and get their ticket to the game.

To you and me an overseas trip might mean a trip to Bali or Thailand or USA. To them its a trip to the shithole of Verona to beat the f.uck out of rival ultras, spending hours on a bus or train to get to their destination only to find that they have arrived with 30 minutes of the game gone.

Its a shame Laziale that we dont see eye to eye. But I do know that we would rather be in the terraces overseas rather than here listening to this shite Netball A-League.

Thing is mate i will be ther for the Napoli-Lazio game in March as well as the Juve, Reggina and Milan. And i will throw in a lazy Athletico Madrid vs Osasuna as well.

Now once again. Tuo Cuolo Laziomerda.

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

Blue Mastiff wrote:The rest of them here are Contadini, Zappatore!
You are a class act Mastiff - you realise by calling the rest of us peasants, that you are just as bad as the Northern Italian racists?

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Aldo Serena wrote:
You are a class act Mastiff - you realise by calling the rest of us peasants, that you are just as bad as the Northern Italian racists?
thats what makes you so special Aldo, your the only Nap I know with half a brain... the rest have NFI like Blue Mastiff and diegom...

NON MOLLARE MAI..... FORZA LAZIO!!!!!

Zarate 2 - 0 riomma

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
Aldo Serena wrote:
thats what makes you so special Aldo, your the only Nap I know with half a brain... the rest have NFI like Blue Mastiff and diegom...

NON MOLLARE MAI..... FORZA LAZIO!!!!!

Zarate 2 - 0 riomma

yeah, funny coming from a greeeeek wannabe!
:wink:

Roma 3 - lazio 0

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

to put in perspective Naps, your derby was played last night in Coppa italia with no away fans and not so much as even decent TV coverage outside regione di Campania.

this is the biggest in Italy, probably biggest in Europe and maybe biggest in world, depending on how you shape it up against the Superclasico in Argentina.

there are no fan restrictions this week. this means 60-70-80,000 fired up romanisti and laziali going at it, we might see some coreo done for the first time in a long time. Players like Zarate, Carrizo, Baptista and that muppet Riise playing in their first will sh*t themselves as they walk onto the turf.

if you think that all the motivation belongs on the giallorosso side of the Tevere, think again. This week was the 1st anniversary of a man's death, Gabriele Sandri, lazio fan killed by a police officer. I'm sure that will be in the back of every Lazio player's mind and at the front of every fan's mind come Derby day.

FORZA LAZIO

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

My mate was gonna try and get to this match, but he has to leave Italy Sunday night to go back to London. He was hoping for a Saturday night encounter. Ah well!

No Juve on Sunday so might miss Atalanta-Napoli to wake up for the big match.

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Bigger than the Milan and Turin and Genoa derbies?
Exaplain why! (not being argumentative, just that I always hear fans of teams claim their derby is the BIGGEST in the WORLD / COUNTRY / UNIVERSE!).

For me it's the North London ;)
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Kitchimo wrote:Bigger than the Milan and Turin and Genoa derbies?
Exaplain why! (not being argumentative, just that I always hear fans of teams claim their derby is the BIGGEST in the WORLD / COUNTRY / UNIVERSE!).

For me it's the North London ;)
well it comes down to the success, or lack of it, in Rome, and the way the 2 sets of fans follow their side.

A lot of Milan and Inter fans have no connection whatsoever to the city of Milano, and both sides biggest aims of their season is to win either the Scudetto or the Champions League. So being the best in Milano isn't as special and if they lose the Derby, its bad, but not the end of the world.

Conversely, in Rome, you either support Roma or Lazio. On top of that, hardly anyone from outside the entire Lazio region supports Roma and Lazio. So the fans are local and being the best team means a f**king big deal. There's no major silverware on offer so the Derby becomes like winning a title. Even when Lazio won the Scudetto, there were still minor protests because they lost a Derby.

When you then take into account that the Lazio and Roma fans have reputations as the most hardcore in the country, along with one or two others, you can see why its big. There is history here, one man has died, offensive banners and salutes. It's just over the top.

Turin Derby is not as big anymore because Juventus and Torino aren't at the same level, football-wise. Milan-Inter, Roma-Lazio, Genoa-Samp, the rivalries are tight, but up there, Juve battle for titles, Torino fight the drop. That, and once again, the Toro boys are local, most Juve fans aren't.

Juve and Inter have their Derby D'Italia as well. This sort of (IMO) detracts from both the Milan and Turin derbies.

Genoa-Samp is like the Rome Derby I think, just on a much smaller scale. Doesn't have as much history behind it either. There are dozens of smaller regional rivalries like this that can get very heated, but none compare to the one on Rome.

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

this is for all my paesani jumping on the riomma bandwagon.

http://roma.theoffside.com/team-news/vo ... piece.html

Pao Thyra 13
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pao Thyra 13 »

Laziale im guessing you have been to Italy and watched a few games so i would like to know who the best Ultras groups are in Italy? and without being byest towards Lazio's Irriducibili
ImageImage
GAMIETE O THRILLOS KAI O PIRAEUS