GENOA, NAPOLI - WILL THEY QUALIFY FOR EUROPE???

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

sweeps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

GENOA, NAPOLI - WILL THEY QUALIFY FOR EUROPE???

Post by sweeps »

It would be great to see different Italian teams make up Europe, instead of the usual 4 - Inter, Juve, AC, Fiorentina!!!

You think these 2 will qualify?
The Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, and the point of exhaustion, when no one else is around!

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: GENOA, NAPOLI - WILL THEY QUALIFY FOR EUROPE???

Post by Juventino »

Fiorentina are usual European participants :? Beside this and last season the last time they made it to Europe would have been 2001 or 02.

With Roma's horrible form there is no way they will make the top 4. This leaves the door open for one spot (you'd expect the big three to make it to the CL) and really you could take your pick out of Napoli, Udinese and Fiorentina. Dark horses for 4th are Lazio, Genoa, Sampdoria and Palermo.

I'd say, CL or UEFA Cup, Napoli will make it to Europe. May be a little tougher for Genoa and it depends on their away form. They have earnt two credible draws in Milan and Udine, let's see if that sort of away form continues against Juve next week or if they will go back to losing on the road.

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

i stick by what I said pre-season... Napoli to make top 4....

Genoa certainly can IMO... the SLF is a fortress...a few big results on the road (i.e. Inter, Juve, Milan, Fiorentina) will be needed...they already got a deserved point at the san siro, so don't see why not
"Inzaghi is simply a grenache with ears," - Reggina

sweeps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sweeps »

I agree Napoli will make top 4, Genoa will have to prove itself against Juve this week!
Dont think Palermo will make it, likewise Sampdoria!!!
Udinese is a possibility!
The Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, and the point of exhaustion, when no one else is around!

EDISON CAVANI
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by EDISON CAVANI »

everyone is saying its a given that Napoli will make top 4, let me tell you it ain't that easy!

the only way Napoli will make top 4 is if Lavezzi, Hamsik and Santacroce reamin injury free..

honestly if Il Pocho goes down we're stuffed, he's involved in everything for Napoli...

inter, juve and AC will certainly be there, roma certainly won't, so yes in hindsight there's 1 spot free...at this stage you would say, ladder aside, that its between Napoli and Udinese...

personally, i'll be happy with UEFA Cup but still dream of Champions League!

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

not saying it's easy...but I think they're a bright light in city full of turmoil and in a rough patch... think they have the quality...where Marino pulled all this from I don't know... But this I do, Massimo Moratti recently said the biggest regret of his career was letting Marek Hamsik go... this guy is just about the best young player in Europe IMO... amazing...

I think Napoli are genuinely good enough to make the 4
"Inzaghi is simply a grenache with ears," - Reggina

Inter_boy;)
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Inter_boy;) »

sweeps wrote:It would be great to see different Italian teams make up Europe, instead of the usual 4 - Inter, Juve, AC, Fiorentina!!!

You think these 2 will qualify?
How is Fiorentina in the 'usual 4'

Inter, Milan & Juve will make up the top 4 & the race for that other spot will be very interesting! although i hate Napoli it would be quite a spectacle to see them in the champions league

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

4.Fiorentina

5.Udinese

6.Lazio

7.Napoli

in this order

Palermo, Genoa, Roma to follow.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

sweeps wrote:I agree Napoli will make top 4, Genoa will have to prove itself against Juve this week!
Dont think Palermo will make it, likewise Sampdoria!!!
Udinese is a possibility!

I agree.

El Pocho Lavezzi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by El Pocho Lavezzi »

getborn wrote:4.Fiorentina

5.Udinese

6.Lazio

7.Napoli

in this order

i agree though for some reason i see palermo finishing in the bottom half..

i would take 7th this season without thinking twice, anything more is a bonus.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

ummm different Italian sides always make it into Europe - Lazio, Parma, Udinese, Roma, Chievo and Fiorentina have all done it recently.

Then provincial clubs like Livorno, Empoli (now both in Serie B) have made UEFA Cup.

Personally I think that Lazio, Fiorentina and Udinese will all finish above Genoa, because Genoa away aren't as impressive as Genoa at the Marassi. Palermo further back.

I'll be happy to win both derbies and finish outside the 4. To me, beating Roma is more important. If we beat Roma, then we can start dreaming of making the 4. Zarate continues with Scudetto talk. Premature ejaculation IMO.

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

Laziale wrote:ummm different Italian sides always make it into Europe - Lazio, Parma, Udinese, Roma, Chievo and Fiorentina have all done it recently.

Then provincial clubs like Livorno, Empoli (now both in Serie B) have made UEFA Cup.

Personally I think that Lazio, Fiorentina and Udinese will all finish above Genoa, because Genoa away aren't as impressive as Genoa at the Marassi. Palermo further back.

I'll be happy to win both derbies and finish outside the 4. To me, beating Roma is more important. If we beat Roma, then we can start dreaming of making the 4. Zarate continues with Scudetto talk. Premature ejaculation IMO.

Lazio, the new liverpooooooo???

El Pocho Lavezzi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by El Pocho Lavezzi »

Congrats to Paolo Cannavaro who's wife gave birth to a baby girl.

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

Simple Equation:

Napoli need to collect 11 points from thier next 7 games and repeat this another 3 times for them to Qualify for Champions League

EG: (27 games remaining.) - 11 points x 4 times = 44points + 23 points they have already collected = 67 points = Champions League?

Last year we were 5 wins away from a Champions League Place.

Last Year W14 D8 L16
This Year W19 D9 L10 (our objective)
NOW W7 D2 L2

Napoli lost 16 times last term due to their awful away form. This season they have turned it around and describing thier away form this term as ERATIC would be an injustice. Slender losses vs Genoa and Milan is no shame and collecting maximum points vs the bottom 10 could very well be the catalyst in halving those 16 losses to somewhere around 9 or 10.

In the past, teams who have lost less than 10 games in a season generally sit in a Champions League position.

With Roma maybe out of the equation for a top 4 finish and Sampdoria maybe out of the equation for a TOP 8 finish a UEFA spot beckons, but having said that will Lazio continue on their merry way, Catania home form could make them a top 8 finish, Genoa are certain to replace their Sampdoria in from last years 8. Then theres the Palermo's and Atalanta's that are just there to break balls!

Replace Roma in the Top 4 and Lazio finish outside of Europe. Gold Jerry Gold.

My pick for the Serie A title is still AC Milan
FOOTBALL IS A FOREIGN GAME FOR HOOLIGANS & DRUNKEN PSYCHO-FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

5.Udinese

6.Lazio

7.Napoli

in this order

I think Fiorentina will struggle because they lack the depth to play CL and their domestic form will suffer.

1. Milan
2. Inter.
3. Juventus
4. Udinese
5. Napoli
6. Fiorentina
7. Roma
8. Lazio

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

I need for you to explain to the forumites why Udinese will finish 4th and Napoli 5th in your prognosis.

Why not the other way around?

I am waiting for your response and dont think because your a Nap fan means i go easy on you.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

We have been lucky with injuries so far - if that continues maybe we can finish 4th, otherwise I dont think we have the depth.

sweeps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sweeps »

Scudetto8687 wrote:

5.Udinese

6.Lazio

7.Napoli

in this order

I think Fiorentina will struggle because they lack the depth to play CL and their domestic form will suffer.

1. Milan
2. Inter.
3. Juventus
4. Udinese
5. Napoli
6. Fiorentina
7. Roma
8. Lazio
Roma 7th?
BIG CALL!

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

Keeping injury free is your answer?

Maggio was out of the Sampdoria game and who replaced him?

He was also voted best on ground alongside Santacroce.

Unless we go on a injury crisis like Juventus have then we will be in trouble.

Losing 1 or 2 first choice team players in a starting line up is hardly one to push the panic button.

We have proved that when Iezzo was injured, Lavezzi missed a couple, Roatation of Denis and Zalayeta, Santacroce red cards, Cannavaros missed games we have been able to cover for them.

There are a lot of teams in the Serie A with squads which lack depth and im not about to go and name them all. Im sick of doing all the thinking for you plebs but this season Napoli have the players around them to step in an cover unlike last year.

And besides with games vs the likes of Toro, Cag, Lecce, Siena, Chievo coming and it arises where Hamsik, Lavezzi and the likes could be missing it shoulnt detract from us collecting points.

Now give me a more tactical reason why Udinese would finish higher

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

Blue Mastiff wrote: Im sick of doing all the thinking for you plebs but this season Napoli have the players around them to step in an cover unlike last year.
Get off your high horse Mastiff - I appreciate your passion, but no need to hammer someone that doesn't agree with your opinion.

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

shiraz you are embarrassing sometimes.

Thats my opinion and i hope we finish as high up as possible and yes injuries are a concern. They should be for every team, if we were to lose 3-4 players long term we are in trouble, if you think otherwise you are deluded.

Jesus take it easy mate.

Blue Mastiff
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Blue Mastiff »

I was very very calm when typing that out.

Im chillinig out considerably now.

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

Kunta Kintay
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Kunta Kintay »

I think there's no doubt that Scudetto and Blue Mastiff are banging each other.
Go sort out your differences at Napoli pizza bar you clowns.

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh look out - this is the bloke that doesnt answer his mobile but you can get hold of him with a PM on footballnews.

Liverpool must have won on the weekend.. or was it Pana.... or another one of you 18 teams that you and caramelas follow :wink:

You are rubbish buddy.

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

Scudetto8687 wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh look out - this is the bloke that doesnt answer his mobile but you can get hold of him with a PM on footballnews.

Liverpool must have won on the weekend.. or was it Pana.... or another one of you 18 teams that you and caramelas follow :wink:

You are rubbish buddy.
I go for 2 teams and you know that.
I thought you were the one with 18 teams - Napoli, Arsenal, Milan, Roma, Barca, Legia Warsaw, Werder Bremen, Ajax, PSG, Leyton Orient, Gamba Osaka, Pohang Steelers, Benevento, Avellino, Brunswick Juventus, Apia Leichardt, Green Gully, Sunshine George Cross etc............ :wink:

a1079978
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by a1079978 »

none of you guys are calm your all naps. lol. joke, im half nap my self. personally i think napoli can make top 4 and next year could well be cl material. bravo napoli

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Caramelas13 wrote:
Scudetto8687 wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh look out - this is the bloke that doesnt answer his mobile but you can get hold of him with a PM on footballnews.

You are rubbish buddy.
I go for 2 teams and you know that.
I thought you were the one with 18 teams - Napoli, Arsenal, Milan, Roma, Barca, Legia Warsaw, Werder Bremen, Ajax, PSG, Leyton Orient, Gamba Osaka, Pohang Steelers, Benevento, Avellino, Brunswick Juventus, Apia Leichardt, Green Gully, Sunshine George Cross etc............ :wink:
Its ok mate, no need to get upset. What you need is a big hug. When Liverpool fail again to win the EPL this year I will give you that hug.

PS You are the one who goes for 40 teams - You and your banking buddy.

PPS FIFA is rubbish as well.

EDISON CAVANI
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by EDISON CAVANI »

you can only barrack for 1 team passionately in the world...ive always said this...you cannot go for X team in england, X team in italy and x team in spain for example

anyway back to Napoli, games coming up are:

Atalanta (away)
Cagliari (Home)
Inter (away)
Siena (Home)
Lecce (Home)
Torino (away)
Catania (home)
Chievo (away)

being conservative, should be looking at another 4-5 wins, 1-2 draws and 1-2 losses

which will keep us certainly in top 4 and possibly top 2

this is what ive been talking about with Napoli already playing alot of the big clubs an playing 6 away and 5 home games

mastiff is 100% right, you cant say we havent had injuries, suspensions, cannavaro, santacroce with his red cards, zalayeta with his mini dummy spit not accepting the bench, lavezzi out for 3 games, iezzo out for 3 games, maggio's suspension, etc.

this napoli team can handle missing 2 players every week, but i dont think many teams can handle losing 4 or 5 regular first team players