Worst Italian team

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Worst Italian team

Post by adriano10 »

i think the worst thing about this whole campaign is that these players who were given opportunity after opportunity are those at their end.... SAfrica 2010 - its gonna be a tough campaign - what's the point of having all these young guns if we keep playing 30-somethings who arguably don't deserve to be therre? come 2010, how much experience can these guys have - i dont think they'll all be like GC and rip it straight up....

We were TERRIBLE this morning... but at the same time i would like to see any other heavyweight lose their 2 best/most influential players at a crucial time and see if they do any better.... ie Ronaldo, Deco, Ballack, Klose, Schweingstieger, Sneijder etc.... not excuses, just the reality of la nazionale current situation

we were terrible, the problem was without Canna and especially without Pirlo, nothing was created to grind out a cabernet-performance win....we're gonna have an even bigger hole than Canna when Pirlo finishes, no one is like him
"Inzaghi is simply a grenache with ears," - Reggina

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

adriano10 wrote:i think the worst thing about this whole campaign is that these players who were given opportunity after opportunity are those at their end.... SAfrica 2010 - its gonna be a tough campaign - what's the point of having all these young guns if we keep playing 30-somethings who arguably don't deserve to be therre? come 2010, how much experience can these guys have - i dont think they'll all be like GC and rip it straight up....

We were TERRIBLE this morning... but at the same time i would like to see any other heavyweight lose their 2 best/most influential players at a crucial time and see if they do any better.... ie Ronaldo, Deco, Ballack, Klose, Schweingstieger, Sneijder etc.... not excuses, just the reality of la nazionale current situation

we were terrible, the problem was without Canna and especially without Pirlo, nothing was created to grind out a cabernet-performance win....we're gonna have an even bigger hole than Canna when Pirlo finishes, no one is like him

Well put.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

2 years worth of World Cup qualifiers and 2 seasons in Serie A is where these lads will make or break their Azzurri careers.

Think. Christian Maggio steps into the right back role. Ready made option. Alessandro Gamberini is there and will be a solid man possibly alongside Giorgio come 2010.

Then we have Sebastian Giovinco, Giuseppe Rossi and Alessandro Rosina who so far have proved themselves to be among the most talented on the planet but done nothing else. Its time for them to rise a bit and turn the talent into producing the goods. If they do this they make us a truly lethal side going forward. Antonio Cassano will still be there.

Marco Borriello has 2 years to become as prolific as Luca Toni. Its not impossible. Alberto Gilardino could be revitalised at Fiorentina. Who knows?? He is a World Champion and an ex-Capocannoniere and should never be forgotten.

Lorenzo De Silvestri and Mario Balotelli probably won't make their major tournament debuts until Euro 2012.

This is without even going into major details. Ill leave that for 'tino. :lol:

There is plenty of future for gli Azzurri. If a man like Lippi takes charge of this group, we can defend our crown again, and enjoy another four years as the campioni del mondo.

NON MOLLARE MAI

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

I have to agree with the OP... in all my years of watching Italy, this was the worst team to watch from start to finish. They played like Engerland FFS, and thus got knocked out at the quarters to lets face it, an inferior footballing nation. To think we played that bad and still managed to get Toni in goal scoring positions in every game is hilarious and totally undeserving... but Toni made sure we had no chance with his not only wasteful nature but the most ridiculous of decision in taking the ball away from Grosso (late against Spain) who was about to volley home for one nil... instead does well... shiraz knows.

But the blame well and truly lays with Donadoni. delivered the worst Italian team I have ever witnessed. Trappatoni didnt get as far but was at least robbed twice and went for games in the last half an hour, even Lippi threw caution to the wind when the situation requires it, which brings me to the most obvious point. How can you go into a European Championship with such a depth of talent and only have one system of attack, and that system not even being that good anyway?!? Lippi's team, and even Trap's (not near the same extent) were flexible with a combination of attacking systems refined to the talent available. Playing like Engerland and lumping up to Toni who instead of perservering, only got worse, we were never going to score. Then made changes but didnt change the system, that had got us aboslutely no where in the first place.

Donadoni will go down as a big failure and hopeuflly the FGIC relearns its lessons of hiring "its mates".

...and Di Natale, your still a gun, knew he was going to miss it as he was walking up, deserved more of a run through the tournament (I won't start a whinge about Camo) but Del Piero should of taken that penalty.
NON MOLLARE MAI

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

We could have something like this, but I am leaving out the likes of Pirlo, Borriello, Zambrotta, Santacroce, Marchisio, Acquafresca, Rosina, Palladino, Gilardino, Cassano etc etc. This is just one idea that could be useful because I think we desperately need a playmaker - enter Giovinco.

-----------------------Buffon
Maggio-------Chiellini------Gamberini------Grosso
--------Montolivo----De Rossi-----Nocerino
------------------------Giovinco
------------------Rossi------Pazzini

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Juventino wrote:We could have something like this, but I am leaving out the likes of Pirlo, Borriello, Zambrotta, Santacroce, Marchisio, Acquafresca, Rosina, Palladino, Gilardino, Cassano etc etc. This is just one idea that could be useful because I think we desperately need a playmaker - enter Giovinco.

-----------------------Buffon
Maggio-------Chiellini------Gamberini------Grosso
--------Montolivo----De Rossi-----Nocerino
------------------------Giovinco
------------------Rossi------Pazzini
I dont think the changes for the 2010 WC will be anywhere near that drastic

possibly even Cannavaro will still be there.

there is a lot of depth and I must say, that there is a real possibility of someone coming unexpectedly and rising to this level. Angelo Palombo to step up??? a_a has big wraps on Bernacci.

Pazzini needs to work on his finishing as a side note.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Would be good if Cannavaro stays, but like I said I discounted many players, just a first draft here.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

even ADP wants to play on for a while... but admits he wont make 2010!!

then he shouldn't be there. Full respect to the guy because he is a legend (even if he has never fully produced it for italia) but having him there will only hold us back.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Yeh it would be better for him to retire, concentrate on CL glory with Juve :P His performances did not disgrace himself in this tournament, but we have plenty of striking options coming through and this is the time for change.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

just looking

Zambrotta will be 33 and is showing signs of decline
Grosso will be 32
Gattuso will be 32
Ambrosini will be 33
Camoranesi will be 33
Perrotta will be 32
Del Piero will be 35
Toni will be 33

a lot of these guys won't quite make it there as the quality they are now. The new manager will have to be a smart one who gets the balance of experience and youth right.

Also Gamberini (26) and Barzagli (27) are slightly older than I thought. :|

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

And I think from that list only Grosso should remain. Maybe Gattuso, see how he goes domestically, but he won't really be needed if Nocerino can step up and maybe Zambrotta, if there is nothing else (ie Maggio does not step up).

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

honestly who knows what will happen??

who thought Grosso would be the star of 2006 and continue to put in excellent performances??
who thought Toto` Schillaci would be the star of Italia '90.
who thought that a man in his late 20s having played his career with low Serie A teams and high Serie B teams would go on and win a World Cup having the most prolific club scoring record in Europe (luca toni)??

sometimes players come from out of the picture and give the team something extra.

I predict at least one player will do this in 2010.

medallion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by medallion »

How old is Pirlo?

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

reading these posts and looking at the names mentioned, we do have a shiraz bright future and so much too look forward to compared to other nations. I'd love to see us go on and dominate world football, but for some reason, i just think the trophy will always be destined to be passed around :lol:

Madridista612
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Madridista612 »

Worst Italian team??? Give them some credit, after all they do have the record for most 0-0 draws in the Euro Championship.
ESPAÑA CAMPEONES DEL MUNDO 2010

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

i remember some Adelaide City (and non-AUFC supporters) saying how AUFC was Dad's Army, well this Italian team makes AUFC look like they're still in their womb!
Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

tobes wrote:i remember some Adelaide City (and non-AUFC supporters) saying how AUFC was Dad's Army, well this Italian team makes AUFC look like they're still in their womb!
hilarious.

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

getborn wrote:
tobes wrote:i remember some Adelaide City (and non-AUFC supporters) saying how AUFC was Dad's Army, well this Italian team makes AUFC look like they're still in their womb!
hilarious.
Thanks!

Reggina10Cozza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Reggina10Cozza »

tobes wrote:
getborn wrote:
hilarious.
Thanks!
That is such a ridiculous statement. As only Cannavaro and Pannucci are players who will be over 35 for the next world cup, most of the players over 30, have just turned 30 and deserve a spot not just based on ability but that they won a world cup 2 years ago. Italy have the luxiery of players like Guiseppe Rossi, Mario Balotelli, Marco Borriello and Alberto Aquilani who will lead the side in the future, but unlike many other nations there is quality at all levels not only in youth and therefore playing those with experience is logical. In a side like Italy you really have to earn your spot in the side. Marco Borriello was the most prolific Italian bomber in Italy this season, and didn not feature at all at Euro. Your comment is stupid coz u r aiming it at line up of whome majority of players are 30 years of age, and have names like Gattuso, Pirlo, Toni, Zambrotta and Ambrosini... can u seriously tell me if any other nation had players like these at their disposal they wouldnt use them? maybe if majority of players were over 34 you could have some argument, but If you are saying Andrea Pirlo is too old to play for Italy because he is 30, thats ridiculous

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

:lol:

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Reggina why take him seriously for???

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

the future is bright, i just would've liked to see more youth injected into this campaign.... i wouldve loved to have seen some of the young guns being given more of a chance and they will be great players in the next few years...

it's just that they will lack international experience of major tournament calibre in 2010, so only time will tell how they react - although it's extremely optimistic, hopefully they all do a 'Chiellini,'....
"Inzaghi is simply a grenache with ears," - Reggina

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

adriano10 wrote:the future is bright, i just would've liked to see more youth injected into this campaign.... i wouldve loved to have seen some of the young guns being given more of a chance and they will be great players in the next few years...

it's just that they will lack international experience of major tournament calibre in 2010, so only time will tell how they react - although it's extremely optimistic, hopefully they all do a 'Chiellini,'....
disagree, this is Italia not Australia.. players don't get a run just because they have talent, they have to earn their place by performing at the highest level.

Some of our young talent had breakout seasons, but arent at international level yet, others had average years and dont deserve a call up right now.

The team that played was not the worst in years, they were good enough to win the comp. Just werent used in a way which was effective, which is why Donadoni is losing his job.

A good manager would've been able to adapt when it became obvious the system didnt work. Donadoni wasn't good enough at that.

Madridista612
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Madridista612 »

Well if it wasn't the worst team in 88 years, surely the worst manager in 88 years, with the talent he had he was almost McClarenesque

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Nah worst manager was Edmondo Fabbri.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Madridista612 wrote:Well if it wasn't the worst team in 88 years, surely the worst manager in 88 years, with the talent he had he was almost McClarenesque
definitely not as bad as McLaren

at least he got things defensively right against Spain. First and probably will be the only team to hold Spain scoreless.

Madridista612
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Madridista612 »

Yeh but McLaren didn't lose to Netherlands 3-0 either.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Madridista612 wrote:Yeh but McLaren didn't lose to Netherlands 3-0 either.
That game showed his inexperience, eg dropping De Rossi and taking far too long to make subs. He got better as the tournament went on and got it right defensively vs Spain.

Madridista612
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Madridista612 »

Juventino wrote:
Madridista612 wrote:Yeh but McLaren didn't lose to Netherlands 3-0 either.
That game showed his inexperience, eg dropping De Rossi and taking far too long to make subs. He got better as the tournament went on and got it right defensively vs Spain.
I disagree, I believe he didn't get things right at all against Spain, getting it right would have meant not going too defensive, which clearly he did.