Chelsea announce Scolari as boss

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

olympiakos
Star Player
Star Player

Chelsea announce Scolari as boss

Post by olympiakos »

soccernet.com

Chelsea have confirmed Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari as their new manager.

The Brazilian was one of the favourites to succeed Avram Grant in the Stamford Bridge hotseat but the timing of his appointment has come as a huge surprise.

Scolari is currently managing Portugal at Euro 2008 and was not expected to make a decision about his future until after the tournament.

Chelsea said in a statement: 'Chelsea Football Club is delighted to confirm that Luiz Felipe Scolari will be the club's new manager from July 1, 2008.

'Felipe has great qualities. He is one of the world's top coaches with a record of success at country and club level, he gets the best out of a talented squad of players and his ambitions and expectations match ours.

'He was the outstanding choice.

'Out of respect for his current role as head coach of the Portuguese national team, and to ensure minimum disruption to this work, there will be no further comment from Chelsea FC nor from Felipe about his new role until his employment with us commences.'

The news will come as a blow to supporters who hoped the man who brought such excitement to Ewood Park during his time there as a player would chose to launch his managerial career on familiar territory.

It is not the first time Shearer has resisted the temptation to move into coaching - he has declined offers from former England boss Steve McClaren and current Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan since his retirement.

He has two years of his current BBC deal remaining and is clearly enjoying his media work, while the chance to spend more time with his family has also been welcome.

However, he has made no secret of the fact that he would like to go into management one day, although only when the time is right.

Shearer's elimination from the field which see the focus once again turn to MK Dons boss Paul Ince, former Bolton and Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce and Rovers old boy Henning Berg, among others.

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Chelsea announce Scolari as boss

Post by King Ledley »

Deco to Chelsea
Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Excellent signing, didn't think we would get him. :D

SPURS18
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SPURS18 »

Yeah brilliant signing it will be interesting to see who he brings in

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

hmmm yeah and who he lets go

pch0508
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by pch0508 »

he doesn't speak a word of English? should provide some even more interesting post game comments than the tinker-man

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

i predicted this
Drogba and co will want to stay now

olympiakos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by olympiakos »

pch0508 wrote:he doesn't speak a word of English? should provide some even more interesting post game comments than the tinker-man
he speaks football

Cruyff #14
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Cruyff #14 »

Scolari new Chelsea boss
12 June 2008 | 06:49 - PA Sport

Chelsea have confirmed Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari as their new manager.

The Brazilian was one of the favourites to succeed Avram Grant in the Stamford Bridge hotseat but the timing of his appointment has come as a huge surprise.

Scolari is currently coaching Portugal at Euro 2008 and was not expected to make a decision about his future until after the tournament.

Chelsea said in a statement: "Chelsea Football Club is delighted to confirm that Luiz Felipe Scolari will be the club's new manager from July 1, 2008."

"Felipe has great qualities. He is one of the world's top coaches with a record of success at country and club level, he gets the best out of a talented squad of players and his ambitions and expectations match ours."

"He was the outstanding choice."

"Out of respect for his current role as head coach of the Portuguese national team, and to ensure minimum disruption to this work, there will be no further comment from Chelsea FC nor from Felipe about his new role until his employment with us commences."

Despite a number of big-name managers being linked with the job following Avram Grant's sacking last month, PA Sport understands Scolari was always Chelsea's number one choice and nobody else was offered the position.

He is likely to be unveiled during the first week of July, at which time the details of his contract will also be revealed.

Scolari's appointment comes less than a week after he insisted he would not discuss his future until after Euro 2008.

He said at the time: "What's going to happen to me after Euro 2008 - if I am going to stay or leave - concerns (only) me and I am not going to talk about it now."

"If I decide to leave or stay, I am only going to make a public declaration at the end of Euro 2008. If something else happens during the Euros, I am not going to answer although things may go this way or that way but I am here to work for the Euros."

"I started working for Portugal in 2004, then I signed up for 2006 ... I might sign again, I might leave the squad, I don't know."

Scolari's biggest achievement was leading Brazil to World Cup glory in 2002 and he famously turned down the chance to manage England following Sven-Goran Eriksson's departure in 2006.

The 59-year-old has no experience of managing at club level in Europe.

Before becoming an international manager, he enjoyed success at club level in Brazil, winning South America's equivalent of the Champions League - the Copa Libertadores - with two different clubs.

Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo could come up against his current coach next season if Manchester United succeed in fending off the interest of Real Madrid but the winger does not begrudge the Brazilian ending his time in international football.

Instead, he respects Scolari's right to move on - even though his presence is sure to galvanise Chelsea as they seek to put an end to United's two-season hold on the Premier League title.

"He needs to look for his future. I respect that," said Ronaldo, speaking after the match against the Czech Republic but before Scolari's appointment was announced.

"If he has better conditions, better things for the family and for him, I respect that."

"This is football, it's always like that. If he goes there it's going to be difficult. If he doesn't go there, another coach will do good work as well."

Former Chelsea midfielder Ray Wilkins described Scolari as 'a manager of top quality'.

He told Sky Sports News: "It appears that he's up for a challenge. He's a big guy, he's charismatic. This will be a breath of fresh air."

Stamford Bridge legend Ron Harris also welcomed the appointment.

"I think it's a top-class appointment," he told Sky Sports News.

"They have got a top-class manager."

Harris believes Scolari will introduce free-flowing football to Chelsea.

"When he was manager of Brazil their emphasis was on attacking style - I think he will bring that into Chelsea football club," he added.

The Portugal Football Federation later confirmed Scolari's departure.

According to the FPF website, www.fpf.pt, the Portugal players were informed of the decision minutes after the 3-1 win over Czech Republic in Geneva.

"Portugal Football Federation confirm that it has not renewed the contract of the national coach, given that Luiz Felipe Scolari has accepted an offer from Chelsea FC with effect from July 1, 2008", the statement said.

"FPF, particularly its president (Gilberto Madail), are thankful for the work and dedication of Luiz Felipe Scolari throughout his term, in which Portuguese football continually improved on the international stage."

"[FPF] understand that there are offers impossible to decline."

"Luiz Felipe Scolari thanks all support given by the Federation, stating that his personal decision was irreversible," added the statement.

"[FPF] President and the national coach [Scolari] carried out the gentlemen's agreement between them, and acknowledge that all technical staff, players and other members of the team will be focused to reach the objectives defined for the Euro 2008," the statement said.

"Gilberto Madail and Luiz Felipe Scolari will keep their friendship, which became stronger throughout the time."

"Given the superior interests of the national team, no-one will make any comment about this issue until the end of Portugal's participation in Euro 2008."

From The World Game website
Pensioner

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

is it true scolari has neva coached a european club b4?
i also heard the last club he coached was 2001

anyways ronaldo 2 chelsea :lol:

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

will be interesting to see how he does at club level.

Maybe one that can't coach a club but brilliant at national level

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

now i can hear the rumour that they will buy ronaldi ..
just mark my word here