Serie A: Still the most beautiful league

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Serie A: Still the most beautiful league

Post by Piola »

From the late 1970s through to the early 2000s, the Italian Serie A was undisputedly known as the Campionato Più Bello Del Mondo, Italian for the most beautiful league in the world. In recent seasons however, big money pumped into the English and Spanish leagues, as well as numerous scandals involving Italian football has seen this reputation tarnished.

But just how accurate is this negative reputation of Serie A?

In my opinion people are simply blinded by a lack of quality international coverage of the Italian game compared to the razzle dazzle of the EPL and La Liga.

Glory Days

From the day in 1980 when Italian calcio reopened its doors to foreigners, it instantly became the showcase of the world’s greatest players, and soon the quality of the league was light years ahead of its English and Spanish counterparts. Big names joined the great clubs of Juventus, Milan and Inter but smaller sides like Ascoli, Udinese and Avellino also managed to sign major foreign names.

Michel Platini, Falcao, Zbignew Boniek and Zico were just four of the world’s greats to move to Serie A in the early 80s as the competition’s prestige rose markedly. They were followed over the next 15 years by Zinedine Zidane, Marco Van Basten, Careca, Gabriel Batistuta, Pavel Nedved and the greatest of all time Diego Maradona. Keep in mind of course that aside from the foreign imports were the great Italians including Roberto Baggio, Paolo Maldini, Franco Baresi, Paolo Rossi, and Gaetano Scirea to name just a few.

This tradition continued on until the early part of the new millennium when foreign investors and lucrative TV rights deals helped the English clubs to become the most publicized, most heavily marketed, and above all most wealthy, thus allowing them to buy the world’s best talent.

The Great Provinciali Punching Above Their Weight

One major criticism of Italian football are the low crowd numbers compared to the English and Spanish leagues. Over the last two or three seasons, attendances have certainly been affected by violence, boycotts against unpopular figures (such as Lazio president Claudio Lotito) and a controversial new ticketing system.

However, the major reason for the low figures in Italy is due to the fact that the top flight has always featured clubs from extremely small towns. Currently, Tuscan club Empoli has one of the lowest average crowds in both Serie A and B, despite the fact that it finished seventh last season. The town of Empoli has a population of just 45,000.

A more impressive example is that of Ascoli Calcio, who have enjoyed extended spells in Serie A since the mid-70s. Despite a population of approximately 50,000, Ascoli have managed to pull crowds of up to 35,000 people. This equates to a staggering 70% of the town’s population attending the Del Duca to support their provinciali against some of the heavyweights of European football.

Currently, small town club AlbinoLeffe, from the province of Bergamo, north of Milan, is pushing for promotion to Serie A. AlbinoLeffe draws its support from the small towns of Albino and Leffe which constitutes a total population of approximately 20,000 people. Playing its home matches in the nearby city of Bergamo, should Leffe reach their goal of playing in A, they will probably draw crowds of around 5,000.

Many English and Spanish fans will take pleasure in laughing at these attendances but to Italian fans, watching small provincial clubs playing at the highest level is part of the romance of calcio.

Strength & Depth In The Italian League

Some have attributed the Italian clubs lack of success in the UEFA Cup to be a sign of its lack of depth. A common belief is that beyond Milan, Juventus and Inter, mid-table Italian clubs are simply not at the level of mid-range English and Spanish sides. When you consider that Italian clubs have not taken the UEFA Cup seriously for the best part of a decade, there is no real justification to that judgement.

In fact, the depth of Serie A was underlined recently when a high-flying Roma side was completely outplayed and outclassed by a struggling Siena who went on to record an impressive 3-0 win. Another example is Empoli, second to last, travelling to San Siro to face undefeated Inter, and unlucky not to beat the giants after missing a penalty. Cagliari too, rock-bottom and seemingly set for Serie B football next year, managed to beat Napoli and draw with Juventus to keep their survival hopes alive.

Could a fan of the English Premier League realistically expect a relegation threatened club such as Derby to have a hope of taking even a point at the Emirates or Old Trafford? The answer is no, and when you consider that there are five or six sides in Serie B that are just as good, the Italian game really does have plenty of depth.

In England it is the big four of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool who are already guaranteed the Champions League places at the start of each season, while the rest of the teams in the league play another 16-team championship between themselves.

The Chievo Verona Story

It is the beginning of the 2006-07 season and the third qualifying round of the Champions League is about to take place. At the Stadio Bentegodi, Chievo Verona, one of the smallest teams to reach Serie A, who over recent years have experienced a fairytale and a meteoric rise up the ranks of calico, are preparing to play Bulgarian champions Levski Sofia. For such a club, who come from Chievo, a town outside Verona with a population of just over 3,000, to be playing in such a competition is a highly impressive feat. They failed to reach the group stages but their appearance was extraordinary all the same.

In what other major league would such a small club ever earn the right to represent their nation in the Champions League?

To make the Chievo story even more interesting, they were relegated at the end of that season, their fate sealed on the final day of the campaign in a scenario whereby up to six sides could mathematically have gone down. the Mussi Volanti finished 18th and were headed to Serie B, just nine months after they had drawn 2-2 with Levski.

To true fans of the Italian game, not those who are blinded by the media hype and aggressive marketing of EPL and La Liga, but those who truly appreciate not only Milan and Juve but also Chievo, Siena and Atalanta, the Italian Serie A always has been, and certainly still is Campionato Più Bello Del Mondo.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Serie A: Still the most beautiful league

Post by Piola »

quite clearly whoever wrote this knows their football. Great read.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

It is a very interesting read but possibly the most one sided piece of journalism I have ever read.

marco ballotta wrote:From the late 1970s through to the early 2000s, the Italian Serie A was undisputedly known as the Campionato Più Bello Del Mondo,
Would that be the same period that included English teams winning 7/9 european cups until English sides were ridiculously banned.
marco balotta wrote:From the day in 1980 when Italian calcio reopened its doors to foreigners, it instantly became the showcase of the world’s greatest players, and soon the quality of the league was light years ahead of its English and Spanish counterparts.

Yet, only 2/10 European cup were won by italian sides in the 80's.
marco balotta wrote:Could a fan of the English Premier League realistically expect a relegation threatened club such as Derby to have a hope of taking even a point at the Emirates or Old Trafford?
And would you expect a relagation side to take a point in the San Siro

marco balotta wrote:In what other major league would such a small club ever earn the right to represent their nation in the Champions League?
Well it wasn't that long ago that Millwall were in UEFA cup and Norwich have been there when they would have qualified for the "Champions" league, had it existed.
Things I am owed because they're too tight to pay up:

Colossus: One House

Costa: One Lunch

Oh and add in

Colossus: one photo and one letter from his "attorney".

Vaguely
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Vaguely »

marco balotta wrote:Could a fan of the English Premier League realistically expect a relegation threatened club such as Derby to have a hope of taking even a point at the Emirates or Old Trafford?

Yes it has happened numerous times this season when Milan have lost to Empoli AT HOME as well as drawing with Catania and Parma.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Vaguely wrote:

Yes it has happened numerous times this season when Milan have lost to Empoli AT HOME as well as drawing with Catania and Parma.
It may have happened, but would you expect it to happen. If you do then did you put money on it because I'm sure you'd get pretty good odds on it.

Oh and add in

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Hawkesy wrote:It is a very interesting read but possibly the most one sided piece of journalism I have ever read.
:? So when people say EPL is the best, EPL too good they are being fair but when someone writes a quality piece on why they believe Serie A is the most beautiful, they are one sided.

Will a Norwich ever finish in the top 4 again???

I enjoy seeing sides like Cagliari beating the top sides. I enjoy watching Genoa travel to Friuli and win 5-3 without any long balls or broken legs.

On the 80s and 90s, I don't think anyone disputes the quality of Serie A. That was better than any league at any other time in history, including the current Serie A and EPL.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

marco ballotta wrote:
Hawkesy wrote:It is a very interesting read but possibly the most one sided piece of journalism I have ever read.
:? So when people say EPL is the best, EPL too good they are being fair but when someone writes a quality piece on why they believe Serie A is the most beautiful, they are one sided.

On the 80s and 90s, I don't think anyone disputes the quality of Serie A. That was better than any league at any other time in history, including the current Serie A and EPL.
They are being one sided if they use facts that don't actually add up.

I wouldn't dispute the 90's but I the facts show differently for the 80's.

Oh and add in

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Hawkesy wrote:
marco ballotta wrote:

They are being one sided if they use facts that don't actually add up.

I wouldn't dispute the 90's but I the facts show differently for the 80's.
the 80s was probably half and half, mid-late 80s I'd definitiely say Serie A was the better league. 90s was daylight ahead.

also you didn't mention anything bout my other points :wink:

sparrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sparrow »

This article was written by an angry Italian called Chris Testa. He was defending the criticism levelled at Italian soccer and how it is considered inferior to the epl and la liga.
Post an article by a non italian sharing those views and people might actually be bothered listening.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

This Chris Testa bloke is a bottle of shiraz legend :P

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

Juventino wrote:This Chris Testa bloke is a bottle of shiraz legend :P

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

im goona put my index finger up to his mouth !!

Owusu_1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Owusu_1 »

Interesting read.

I agree the Serie A is a strong league and deserves props but the troubles in Italia have really hurt the reputation of the game. Furthermore and most importantly I think Italy has been left behind by the EPL in terms of the way it's presented and administered on Television (it is after all the drug of the nation). Games looks great on Television because the stadiums look far more modern, the supporters are very close to the game so you feel close to the action. The way the Serie A is packaged needs a complete overhaul for the contemporary viewer. Nevertheless I love my Serie A.
Every team needs the Powerhouse.

Madridista612
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Madridista612 »

I would argue that La Liga is the most beautiful league. You have relegation threated teams such as Deportivo and newly promoted teams such as Almeria and Murcia taking points against the likes of Real Madrid and FC Barcelona. La Liga has also had the most Ballon D'or's in recent times. Cannavaro, Ronaldinho x2, Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo. We also maintain a suitable level of home grown talent in our league with Raul, Villa, Guiza, Tamudo, Riera, Joaquin, Marchena, Albelda, Krkic, Guti, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Valdes. As far as competitiveness goes though, that would have to go to the English Premier League, Manchester United have beaten Roma twice in the last 3 meetings and drew the other game. Liverpool defeated Inter twice in the last two meetings. Arsenal drew and then defeated A.C. Milan at the San Siro and Lazio didn't get past the group stage. It is for these reasons that I would say that entertainment wise La Liga is the best, when it comes to competitiveness though English Premier League has to be considered the best, atleast recently.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Rigoni 10 wrote:
Yeah agree, I actually met the bloke once, knows his calcio. Very passionate fan of the Italian game.

don't hold it against him but I think he's also a Lazio fan

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

marco ballotta wrote:
Rigoni 10 wrote:
Yeah agree, I actually met the bloke once, knows his calcio. Very passionate fan of the Italian game.

don't hold it against him but I think he's also a Lazio fan
It is good to see these people with a great undertsanding of the game. You have something in common with him then with the Lazio.

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Why do you lot insist on calling it calcio. It sounds very weird, you are typing in English (well nearly English anyway) and then suddenly put an italian word in there. Do you do this with any other random italian words?

Oh and add in

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I like and respect all 3 of the "big" leagues, but in all honesty, when I ask myself, "If there was a one hour highlights package on at the same time for all 3 leagues, which would I watch first?"
Answer - EPL
Ignore this signature

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

Hawkesy wrote:Why do you lot insist on calling it calcio. It sounds very weird, you are typing in English (well nearly English anyway) and then suddenly put an italian word in there. Do you do this with any other random italian words?
because then you know straight away we are talking about Italian Calcio. Sounds better to :D

Madridista612 what about Real Madrid 7-0 Valladolid????
:lol:

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Madridista612 wrote:I would argue that La Liga is the most beautiful league. You have relegation threated teams such as Deportivo and newly promoted teams such as Almeria and Murcia taking points against the likes of Real Madrid and FC Barcelona.

Newly promoted sides this season in Italy have all taken points off the champs. Why, one did it about an hour ago :P.

And relegation threatened sides constantly take points off te big boys. Just to name a few games -

Empoli 2-2 Roma
Juventus 1-1 Cagliari
Milan 0-0 Catania
Milan 0-1 Empoli
Siena 3-0 Roma
La Liga has also had the most Ballon D'or's in recent times. Cannavaro, Ronaldinho x2, Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo.
Can't argue with the world player awards, no doubt Spain has had the most.
We also maintain a suitable level of home grown talent in our league with Raul, Villa, Guiza, Tamudo, Riera, Joaquin, Marchena, Albelda, Krkic, Guti, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Valdes.

So do we. 23 world champs all playing in Italy ring a bell?
As far as competitiveness goes though, that would have to go to the English Premier League, Manchester United have beaten Roma twice in the last 3 meetings and drew the other game. Liverpool defeated Inter twice in the last two meetings. Arsenal drew and then defeated A.C. Milan at the San Siro and Lazio didn't get past the group stage. It is for these reasons that I would say that entertainment wise La Liga is the best, when it comes to competitiveness though English Premier League has to be considered the best, atleast recently.
Yeh the English top 4 right now is better, but for a better LEAGUE, Calcio is it. Always great to see the little clubs go up against the big teams and beat them (unless it is Juve of course :lol:) and it does frequently happen in Italy. Upsets aplenty.

Translator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Translator »

Hawkesy wrote:Why do you lot insist on calling it calcio. It sounds very weird, you are typing in English (well nearly English anyway) and then suddenly put an italian word in there. Do you do this with any other random italian words?
Ciao Hawkesy

Hope you started your day with a latte or cappuccino and maybe some bruschetta.

Arrivederci

Insp. Montalbano

Ironic over night all top 5 sides in Italy failed to get a win. Including Milan losing AT HOME to Sampdoria.

Cassano looking for a permanent move to Samp but they've won all three he's been out suspended for.
I don't like lies. I have understood your market where sometimes lies sell more than truth. This is your life and I don't like it. I understand your work and I have to work with you, but the protection of my group is much more important than you

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Seems the Italian public disagree with attendances in free fall.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Falling attendances are not because the football is a bad standard. :clown:

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

I totally agree with everything Hawkesy has posted on this topic!

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

Insp. Montalbano wrote:
Ciao Hawkesy

Hope you started your day with a latte or cappuccino and maybe some bruschetta.

Arrivederci
Got an English mate who insists on saying ciao, I stick with SEE YA!! Strangely he always talks about going for a latte as well. I say 'a coffee'. Bruschetta, i just say tomato on toast. :D (i love bruschetta though). Maybe this bloke is just a wannabee italian :D .

Oh and add in

MG&Son
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MG&Son »

Juventino wrote:
Madridista612 wrote:I would argue that La Liga is the most beautiful league. You have relegation threated teams such as Deportivo and newly promoted teams such as Almeria and Murcia taking points against the likes of Real Madrid and FC Barcelona.

Newly promoted sides this season in Italy have all taken points off the champs. Why, one did it about an hour ago :P.

And relegation threatened sides constantly take points off te big boys. Just to name a few games -

Empoli 2-2 Roma
Juventus 1-1 Cagliari
Milan 0-0 Catania
Milan 0-1 Empoli
Siena 3-0 Roma
La Liga has also had the most Ballon D'or's in recent times. Cannavaro, Ronaldinho x2, Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Rivaldo.
Can't argue with the world player awards, no doubt Spain has had the most.
We also maintain a suitable level of home grown talent in our league with Raul, Villa, Guiza, Tamudo, Riera, Joaquin, Marchena, Albelda, Krkic, Guti, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Valdes.

So do we. 23 world champs all playing in Italy ring a bell?
As far as competitiveness goes though, that would have to go to the English Premier League, Manchester United have beaten Roma twice in the last 3 meetings and drew the other game. Liverpool defeated Inter twice in the last two meetings. Arsenal drew and then defeated A.C. Milan at the San Siro and Lazio didn't get past the group stage. It is for these reasons that I would say that entertainment wise La Liga is the best, when it comes to competitiveness though English Premier League has to be considered the best, atleast recently.
Yeh the English top 4 right now is better, but for a better LEAGUE, Calcio is it. Always great to see the little clubs go up against the big teams and beat them (unless it is Juve of course :lol:) and it does frequently happen in Italy. Upsets aplenty.
uhh im guessing you dont know your italian very well at all...

all you said there was "soccer is it", (*soccer it is*)

i think what you were going for is "Italian calcio it is"

If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy, cannae dae the bouncy,
Cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Huh? When you refer to calcio, you are speaking of Italian football.

Just like when I say aerial ping pong I mean the EPL.

MG&Son
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MG&Son »

Juventino wrote:Huh? When you refer to calcio, you are speaking of Italian football.

Just like when I say aerial ping pong I mean the EPL.

so when i say soccer i am referring to the MLS?

alls im saying is that translated it didnt make any sense at all.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Well it is not a literal translation. Not everything is translated into Italian (or into English or whatever) word for word.

MG&Son
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MG&Son »

Juventino wrote:Well it is not a literal translation. Not everything is translated into Italian (or into English or whatever) word for word.

fair enuff, just pointing it out