Rasic: Don't go Dutch

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Translator
Star Player
Star Player

Rasic: Don't go Dutch

Post by Translator »

By Ray Gatt
November 21, 2007 FOOTBALL Federation Australia has been "poisoned" by its love affair with Dutch football and should look elsewhere in its search for the new Socceroos boss, according to former national coach Rale Rasic.

Rasic called on FFA to be brave, expand its thinking and set its sights high as it looks to find a replacement for the national team following grenache Advocaat's shock decision to renege on a deal to take charge for the World Cup qualifying campaign.

The comments of the man who took Australia to its first World Cup finals appearance in 1974 have been backed up by former Socceroos midfielder Agenor Muniz, who would like to see a South American influence brought in to Australian soccer.

Rasic was scathing in his criticism of FFA's fixation with all things Dutch.

"Yes, Guus Hiddink was a great success for the Socceroos, but he is different quality to some of the names being mentioned now," he said.

"I can't believe we are still stuck with this Dutch mentality. We have been poisoned by it. To be honest, what have they achieved? One European championship in 1988. (Huntelaar you'd appreciate that comment :lol: )
"There are so many better coaches in the world of football. Men with different cultures and backgrounds. Australian soccer needs something different.

"We have to move on and evolve more. You ask me who I would like to see as coach ... that's easy, Jose Mourinho. Undisputed.

"He has a great presence, would be a great marketing and publicity tool and, importantly, he is a winner.

"We should also be looking at men like (Luiz Felipe) Scolari, Marcello Lippi, Fabio Capello, Giovanni Trapattoni and Otto Rehhagel.

"Why is it that we ignore the culture and success of the Italians when you see what Lippi and Trapattoni have achieved? It's crazy."

Muniz, capped 38 times for Australia in the 1970s, would like to see FFA chairman Frank Lowy go for Scolari, the Portugal coach.

Brazilian-born Muniz, who played for Sydney City in the old NSL when Lowy was club president, said: "I would love to see a stronger South American influence in our game, whether it is Brazilian, Argentine or whatever.

"For me, Scolari would be the one. His record is fantastic and he has won a World Cup (with Brazil)."

A wonderfully gifted player in his day, Muniz, who now splits his time between Australia and Brazil, also offered up another Brazilian name - Joel Natalino Santana.

"He has won the Brazilian title four times with four different clubs - Botafogo, Flamengo, Fluminense and Vasco da Gama," said Muniz.

Former Sydney FC coach Branko Culina was adamant following the Dutch football theme is still the best option. He would like to see current Dutch national team coach Marco van Basten take the reins of the Socceroos.

"If you go by what the players are saying, then the next coach has to be very high-profile," Culina said. "Of course, money will have a lot to do with what eventually happens.

"But, if money is no object then, I would go for van Basten. He was a wonderful footballer and is an undoubted big name in the game."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 15,00.html
No wonder Culina got sack Van Basten pfft.

Surprisingly no English candidates :wink:
I don't like lies. I have understood your market where sometimes lies sell more than truth. This is your life and I don't like it. I understand your work and I have to work with you, but the protection of my group is much more important than you

E. Grant & Co
Star Player
Star Player

Post by E. Grant & Co »

Not really surprised there are no Englishmen there, I don't believe there are any capable of taking us to the next World Cup.

Jose would be a dream come true not sexy football but a winner, but totally unrealistic and as for the Italians ..........ssssshhhhhhh do we really want to play that way?

Remember we don't have the technical skill of the Italian players so we would have to learn how to dive a lot better than we do.

A South American would be interesting but again we are not ready for that much of a leap of faith in their style of play, maybe the next generation of gifted Australians may have the technical skill to be able to keep up with a South American coach.

I think we will have to go with another European, Dutch, German, Croatian even?

Vaguely
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Vaguely »

Neworder-I think 97 was being sarcastic about the english coaches

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

neworder wrote:Not really surprised there are no Englishmen there, I don't believe there are any capable of taking us to the next World Cup.

Jose would be a dream come true not sexy football but a winner, but totally unrealistic and as for the Italians ..........ssssshhhhhhh do we really want to play that way?

Remember we don't have the technical skill of the Italian players so we would have to learn how to dive a lot better than we do.

A South American would be interesting but again we are not ready for that much of a leap of faith in their style of play, maybe the next generation of gifted Australians may have the technical skill to be able to keep up with a South American coach.

Yeah whi would Australia want to be in the hands of Italian coaches, I mean its not like they have produced teams to play and win 4 WORLD CUPS?????
Most Successful European Nation in World Football!
:roll:

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Italy are the second most successful European nation in world football!

Most big name coaches don't want to go through asian qualification

Viera from Brazil is the man for the job!

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

as ive said on another forum, whoever wrote this article is an absolute grenache

---------------

what a shiraz joke that guy is! poisoned by the dutch mentality? what exactly is that? to play 4-3-3 attacking football? we pride ourselves on attacking football, its not enough to win a game in holland, you must win it with beautiful football

oh no, we dont want that!

australia is more european influenced than south american, there is no way australia will play football like south america, it just isnt australias style

dutch coaches arent all around the world for nothing. Hiddink and Advocaat in Russia, ten Cate now in England, Rijkaard in Spain, Stevens in Germany

and they are all booking success

holland also has a great youth set up. The dutch team is currently full of 22-24 year olds like huntelaar, sneijder, vdvaart, robben, vpersie

pfft, that guy is just a shiraz racist

----------------

and also, that idiot's argument is flawed

he bases his whole argument on the fact he doesnt want dutch coaches because holland has only won 1 euro championship

whilst on the other hand he says jose mourinho is the perfect coach for australia. What has portugal ever won??

yeah, that guy is a donkey

UNCLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by UNCLE »

agree the Dutch are over rated.
Gus's Russians couldnt even beat Israel.
The English have proved failures for Australia as well.
Might as well try Italy.

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

pires7 wrote:Italy are the second most successful European nation in world football!

who is the most successful european nation in world football then?

why would it be bad to be under ther reign of a genius like Lippi? A wonderful coach who has had success pretty much everywhere he's been

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

adriano10 wrote:
pires7 wrote:Italy are the second most successful European nation in world football!

why would it be bad to be under ther reign of a genius like Lippi? A wonderful coach who has had success pretty much everywhere he's been
it's pretty obvious who that would be considering only two nations have rights to the claim of best European team!

3 titles, 7 WC finals, 3 times 3rd
3 times European Champions, twice runners up

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

pires7 wrote:
adriano10 wrote:

it's pretty obvious who that would be considering only two nations have rights to the claim of best European team!

3 titles, 7 WC finals, 3 times 3rd
3 times European Champions, twice runners up
The Germans have been amazingly consistent over the years.

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Post by FerrariTifosi27 »

Bring on Marcello Lippi, Giovanni Trapattoni or Fabio Cappello would be killa and they would lead Australia to become a force.

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

To say dont go Dutch is a little over the top and i agree with Huntelaar on the Mourinho debate because if that Muniz wants to talk Statistics then Huntelaar is right, what have the Portugese actually won??? Sweet FA :wink: However, i do believe that we have some sort of fixation with our next coach being Dutch and that is also wrong. grenache Advocaat would of been the worst possible signing in my eyes and he did Australia a very big favour by not taking our job. What has he achieved seriously??? He took some Russian Club to a RPL title, big friken deal, and Olympiakos coach Lemonis has taken Olympiakos to several titles in Greece, doesnt make him a superstar coach does it??? No, i didnt think so. What has Advocaat done at International level??? Ill tell you, Sweet FA. We need a coach who has succeeded at INTERNATIONAL level, so you can rule out Advocaat, Mourinho, Van Basten and those sorts because they are yet to prove themselves at that level.

Names like, Scolari, Lippi, Rehaggel and the dude that was coach for France in 98 are the sort of coaches we should be targeting. They have all had success in winning tournaments and they know what it takes to be competitive enough to actually try and win a trophy. I also like Klinsmann because even though he hasnt won anything, his first gig in International Football with Germany got them to the World Cup Semis where they lost to eventual champion Italy so i reckon he'd be good value.

If the FFA are going to dish out the sort of money they are, then go for a coach who has been there and done that, but thats only my opinion of course :D
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

Translator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Translator »

Considering the gap is skill between us and the top 8 nations. Australia has to go for a task master, who can install discipline into the side, however it needs to be a big enough name to get the respect of the players. I personally don't believe the squad performs well when we've had coaches that have achieved less as a player than our current group.

Don't believe the nationality matters as long as he can get the respect. There's no way we can bring in a Brazilian and expect to play like Brazil, we'll get smashed at the World Cup.

Other than going for results at the World Cup that could go for a guy who also has the job of setting up academies and developing the foundations here, obviously the Houllier type would be the go.

not bad Huntelaar, I only posted the topic fishing for a bite but only got a nibble. Although I still reckon the Dutch are overrated, they only produced two decent squads :wink:
I don't like lies. I have understood your market where sometimes lies sell more than truth. This is your life and I don't like it. I understand your work and I have to work with you, but the protection of my group is much more important than you

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

theres been way too much bait on this forum throughout the years 97

i carefully pick my battles now lol

Translator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Translator »

Huntelaar wrote:theres been way too much bait on this forum throughout the years 97

i carefully pick my battles now lol
bite dam you bite!

:lol:

Not even the English lures are working :wink:

Squizzy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Squizzy »

neworder wrote:Not really surprised there are no Englishmen there, I don't believe there are any capable of taking us to the next World Cup.

I believe this is true (highlighted). Personally, I think we should go after people who have proved themselved on the world stage. Would Trapatoni, Lippi, Cappello, etc. or even Scolari, have the patience to work with our boys?

You would like to think that the remainder of the sentence was written just to stir the lads with an Italian background - which is exactly what happened. :roll: :shock: Perhaps the saying of "hook, line & sinker" would apply here? :)

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

U want to rephrase that mate????

I believe we are the MOST successful Nation in World Football!

4 World Cup wins

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

the 4 world cup wins may edge Italy ahead of Germany, but Brazil are the world power of football.

I would love Lippi to coach Australia! But i don't think he would want the job!

Cerveza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Cerveza »

one thing that needs to be looked at is the dutch population to the state of their team !!!!!

2nd its not really a dutch coach we need but a dutch technical director ! the dutch have one of the best youth set ups in the world which is obvious by the players they have brought through.

the dutch are fairly similiar so are the italians as majority of our country are from european decent . only reason i agree that it should be a dutch is like i said the results of the players they have produced and i like the way they play .

when it comes down to it italian , portuguese , dutch bloody faroe islands ! we need a coach that helps us win !!!

E. Grant & Co
Star Player
Star Player

Post by E. Grant & Co »

:lol: Squizzy> you picked it in 1

But the facts of the matter are just that, would a world cup winning coach have the patience to work with our players at this time, I don't think so, so it would be a waste of money getting them out here.

Why would they want to gamble their reputation on our lads?

I think we need to stick to aproven 'second' string type coach and with the typical Australian sporting prowess build momentum slowly towards the qualifying stages.

As it is it's not the best way to start a World Cup campaign.

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

pires7 wrote:the 4 world cup wins may edge Italy ahead of Germany, but Brazil are the world power of football.

I would love Lippi to coach Australia! But i don't think he would want the job!

Yes we know that brazil is the BEST and Most Successful team in the World.
But we are talking about EUROPEAN teams.
Italy is the MOST Successful European team in the world on the Football stage!
CAPISCE