Gerrard: Liverpool Can Qualify

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Gerrard: Liverpool Can Qualify

Post by Missing Post Count »

Sat 03 Nov, 02:09 PM

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is convinced that the club can rescue their Champions League dreams.

After a dreadful start to their Group A campaign, which includes defeats by Besiktas and Marseille while they only managed a draw with Porto, Gerrard knows that there is now no room for any more slip-ups.

In fact, Liverpool must win all three of their final three group matches, starting at home to Besiktas on Tuesday, to have any chance of reaching the last 16 knock-out stage in the New Year.

Now Gerrard, back to his best form after an injury-troubled season, has launched a rallying call ahead of next week's Anfield showdown with the Turkish club who so humiliated Liverpool in Istanbul last month.

Gerrard says: "Giving up or feeling sorry for ourselves is not something we have even thought about.

"After the defeat by Besiktas we could not really believe that we had not taken anything from the game. We dominated possession, territory and chances but they hit us with a sucker punch on the break."

But Gerrard concedes that Liverpool are left with a nightmare scenario of failing to reach the big money of the last 16.

He said: "What we have now is an absolute mountain to climb. But there is a real belief in the group that we can make it happen.

"We have been in this situation before, many times - maybe too many times - and we have pulled through."

Liverpool fans recall a Gerrard-inspired comeback against Olympiacos in the final group match of the 2004/05 editions of the competition when all seemed lost.

Gerrard added: "We have also managed great comebacks in Istanbul in the Champions League Final, plus at Cardiff against West Ham in the FA Cup Final.

"They were one-off games, but there is no reason why we cannot hit top form for three consecutive European Cup games."

And Gerrard believes that the intimidation of Anfield can help Liverpool's cause yet again.

He said: "It is a help that two of the three games are at home, Besiktas and then Porto.

"That is going to be massive for us, it means that Anfield and our supporters can come into play to give us a lift to push us to where when we need it.

"It is three cup finals for us now and we know we can do it. But we have made it a lot tougher than it had to be.

"But I can assure everyone that we will be ready for Besiktas next week and this time we will take our chances."

Boss Rafael Benitez has history on his side, having guided his previous club Valencia to a UEFA Cup success over Besiktas.

They won 3-2 at home and 2-0 away in the third round and then followed that by defeating another Turkish opponent, Genclerbirligi before going on to win the trophy.

Besiktas' three previous visits to face sides in England has brought two defeats, 3-1 against Aston Villa in the 82/83 European Cup first round and 6-0 against Leeds in the 2000/01 Champions League.

However they are one of the few sides who have managed to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in this competition, a 2-0 victory in the 2003/04 group stage that remains their only success in 10 Champions League away games.

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Post by FerrariTifosi27 »

if Besiktas can win this game it's all but over for Liverpool hopefully Marseille & Porto qualify they both have quality squads, would like to see Liverpool in UEFA Cup so they tackle Bayern Munich

MG&Son
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MG&Son »

no. wont qualify. try again next year thanks for coming.

If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy, cannae dae the bouncy,
Cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

I've always liked Besiktas.

I saw them play v Trabsonspor in 99. WOW! never seen a game with such passion and atmosphere in my life.

It started over 2 hours before the game and the singing never stopped for the entire game. The only disappointment was drums, there's is no place for musical instruments at football.

BUT: Got to go with the English team here. Come on the thieving mickeys.

Pimpong
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pimpong »

will beat besiktas but wont qualify

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is someone like Norman Einstein" Bill Shankly - Ex. Liverpool Manager

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The one and only »

of course gerrard is going to say they are going to qualify he is the captain but in all truth its gonna be a battle for them to qualify hard times ahead for liverpool
I speak nothing but the truth

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Going to be tuff for them, can still see them just scraping in but i sure hope they don't!

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

I hope they do. We could meet you in the semifinal again.

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Bodø Glimt wrote:I hope they do. We could meet you in the semifinal again.
Could but won't! Already got you in the LC Quarter Final at the bridge.

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Bodø Glimt wrote:I hope they do. We could meet you in the semifinal again.
Could but won't! Already got you in the LC Quarter Final at the bridge.

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Arsenal did it 4 years back, 1 point from 3 games, won their last three games and topped the group in the end!

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

pires7 wrote:Arsenal did it 4 years back, 1 point from 3 games, won their last three games and topped the group in the end!
Yeah but that's Arsenal not Liverpoo. Arsenal are a far better side!

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

strappineastie wrote:
pires7 wrote:Arsenal did it 4 years back, 1 point from 3 games, won their last three games and topped the group in the end!

not in champions league... :wink: Chelski know ALL ABOUT THAT

Robben steps up.... and Reina saves IT!

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Liverpool were 10 minutes away from elimination of the group stage in 2004/2005 and we all know what happened after that.

Liverpool were also seconds away from losing the FA to West Ham last year and they lifted that trophy too.

Until they are out, I belive that we can turn it around again.

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Bodø Glimt wrote:Liverpool were 10 minutes away from elimination of the group stage in 2004/2005 and we all know what happened after that.

Liverpool were also seconds away from losing the FA to West Ham last year and they lifted that trophy too.

Just like you all believe you can win the League! :roll:

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

strappineastie wrote:
Bodø Glimt wrote:Liverpool were 10 minutes away from elimination of the group stage in 2004/2005 and we all know what happened after that.

nah we dont believe that... we jsut know we can beat anyone on any given day in the champions league :wink:

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
strappineastie wrote:

nah we dont believe that... we jsut know we can beat anyone on any given day in the champions league :wink:
Anyone in the CL can beat anyone on any given day, just look at Rosenborg. :wink:

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

exactly, so whos to say we arent gna get out of the group?

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

we will just see won't we!

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

strappineastie wrote:
def your greatest post on this forum to date :wink:

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Rigoni 10 wrote:
strappineastie wrote:
def your greatest post on this forum to date :wink:
Is that right Rigoni? Why do you think it's the greatest?

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

strappineastie wrote:
LFTWNG11 wrote:
strappineastie wrote:

Anyone in the CL can beat anyone on any given day, just look at Rosenborg. :wink:
Yet when I mentioned Rosenborg to upset Chelsea when the draw was made you said pffft.

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

Bodø Glimt wrote:
strappineastie wrote:
LFTWNG11 wrote:
strappineastie wrote:

Yet when I mentioned Rosenborg to upset Chelsea when the draw was made you said pffft.
Yeah that was because you said it Bodo! :wink:

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

strappineastie wrote:
Bodø Glimt wrote:Yet when I mentioned Rosenborg to upset Chelsea when the draw was made you said pffft.
Yeah that was because you said it Bodo! :wink:
Point taken :!:

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

yeh eva heard of 3rd time unlucky

i hope they get knocked out... im sorry, but there is nuffin betta then seein liverpool lose or shiraz up for that matter

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

MUFCBOY wrote:

yeh eva heard of 3rd time unlucky

i hope they get knocked out... im sorry, but there is nuffin betta then seein liverpool lose or shiraz up for that matter
Ah yes that is sooooo true! :D

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

i reckon that we (liverpool) will get over the line :D we will put on 3 great performances n get through...gerrard will lift and we will get there..n i hope we do..so u can all shut ur mouths ;)

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

totsreds08 wrote:i reckon that we (liverpool) will get over the line :D we will put on 3 great performances n get through...gerrard will lift and we will get there..n i hope we do..so u can all shut ur mouths ;)
Is that right little man!

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

haha yeah..i wouldnt say it for a laugh...so if we do qualify..i will be looking for all u chelsea people. u just dont want us to get through cause youse r scared to play us and lose again :)

King Of East
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by King Of East »

totsreds08 wrote:haha yeah..i wouldnt say it for a laugh...so if we do qualify..i will be looking for all u chelsea people. u just dont want us to get through cause youse r scared to play us and lose again :)
We gotta beat you some time in CL, might as well be this year!