Serie A - Roma trump insipid Milan

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Serie A - Roma trump insipid Milan

Post by Missing Post Count »

Eurosport - Sun, 28 Oct 21:44:00 2007

Milan's Scudetto hopes took another sizeable dent as they slumped to their second 1-0 home defeat in succession after an insipid performance against a spirited Roma side, while Genoa and Fiorentina ground out a bore-draw at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

Roma talisman Francesco Totti missed out through injury, but it was his replacement Mirko Vucinic who sealed the points with a bullet header midway through the second half.

Roma could have doubled their advantage shortly afterwards after Massimo Ambrosini was sent off for a foul in the box, but Daniele De Rossi contrived to chip the resultant penalty onto the roof of the net.

The home side enjoyed plenty of possession in the opening stages, and France centre half Philippe Mexes had to produce a well-timed tackle to deny Kaka after a quarter-of-an-hour.

Moments later Kaka had another sight of goal after Alberto Gilardino's dummy, but he dragged his shot across goal and wide.

Thereafter Roma began to exploit the huge spaces Milan were leaving at the back, and Brazilian right back Cicinho was at the heart of much of their attacking play.

First he forced a good save from Dida with a low, right-footed shot across goal, and from the resulting corner his well-struck volley drew another acrobatic save from his international colleague.

Vucinic spurned a great chance to give Roma the lead just before the half-hour when he side-footed wide with only Dida to beat, but as the half progressed Milan gradually began to assert themselves.

Stand-in Roma captain De Rossi produced a terrific block to deny Clarence Seedorf, and when Seedorf fed Kaka on the left, Mexes just managed to deflect his curling shot out for a corner.

Milan upped the tempo in the early stages of the second half, with Gennaro Gattuso and then Alberto Gilardino both testing Doni in the Roma goal. But Roma weathered the storm, and after 72 minutes they were in front.

Mancini found Cicinho on the right, and he had the time to guide a perfect cross onto the head of Vucinic, who buried the ball past Dida at the near post.

Roma could have made the game safe when the referee awarded a penalty and showed Ambrosini a second yellow card for a slight tug on De Rossi.

The Italy international got up to take the penalty himself, but his casual chipped effort was just over-hit.

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti threw on left-sided Brazilian Serginho in search of an equaliser, but while his crosses proved a constant source of danger, Roma held firm for a deserved three points.

Genoa 0-0 Fiorentina

Chances were thin on the ground in this insipid encounter, although Genoa had a strong penalty appeal turned down when Per Kroldrup brought Julio Cesar de Leon down in the second half.

Fiorentina went close through Romania forward Adrian Mutu and striker partner Giampaolo Pazzani, while Genoa's Leon thought he should have had another penalty in the first half, although Alessandro Gamberini did not appear to foul the theatrical Brazilian midfielder following his exciting run, who was booked at half time for continuing his protests.

Leon was the main threat in the match, forcing a good save from Sebastien Frey in the 13th minute with a long-range free kick and having a shot deflected wide a few minutes after his first penalty claim.

Frey made another good stop soon afterwards when Tomas Ujfalusi gave the ball away and Ivan Juric found an unmarked Giuseppe Sculli in the box, his shot well-blocked by the former Parma shot-stopper.

Pazzini had a good chance for the visitors on 67 minutes, poking wide after good work from Mutu and Fabio Liverani, but neither side could really make a breakthrough. Fiorentina remain unbeaten and move up one spot to third and Genoa move up to ninth.

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Post by FerrariTifosi27 »

we should have won, this was a mere fluke we always have our chances but can't put them away

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

Milanista #22 wrote:we should have won, this was a mere fluke we always have our chances but can't put them away
Can you honestly say that Milanista?? I am a huge Milan fan and i watched the game this morning. Ok, we had a couple of good chances. Kaka should have scored in the first half and Gila had a few headers that went very close. But at the moment, we are playing so bad. That is not the Milan team i have grown up to watch. Anceloti & Galliani have been saying that we find it hard to play against teams that put 11 men behind the ball and play counter attack against us. Well last night Roma came to the San Siro to win. In my opinion it was a crap game. Milan didn't do enough to win it. We can't score goals, we give soft goals away (look at the goal they scored and tell me why does Ambrosini duck under the ball when Cicinho puts that cross in), we don't create enough chances and we are too old at the back. Milan play with 2 wing backs. Last night we had Cafu on the right who is 37 and Maldini on the left who is almost 40. Ma come on now, that's bulls'h'it. 11 Points behind the leader after 9 games and 7 behind the 4th champions league place. Not good enough.

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

Is Milan the NEW Liverpooooool????

Ie give shiraz all effort in their local league, but blitz in the Champions League?????

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

diegom wrote:Is Milan the NEW Liverpooooool????

Ie give shiraz all effort in their local league, but blitz in the Champions League?????
You could say that but Milan have to bite the bullet and replenish their squad. I said to a lot of people 3 or 4 years ago that Milan need to start freshening up their squad. I said this after they lost to Deportivo 4-0 in the UCL qtr final in the 2003/2004 season. Ok, they went on to play in 2 Finals and 1 semi final after that defeat, but what have they done in the league? Milan are a team that can get itself up for the Big European games. But you need a squad of players that can play 38 league games, 8 Coppa Italia games & 13 Champions League games. Milan don't have that.

mattieg1200
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by mattieg1200 »

suck cabernet milan
R.I.P Robbo 8th June 2006
R.I.P Konny 1st July 2007

Liverpool-Champions of Europe 2005

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

we need to sign some defenders like Lahm & Zambrotta who would be useful.

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

Milanista #22 wrote:we need to sign some defenders like Lahm & Zambrotta who would be useful.
In all honesty, not that it will happen, Milan need to get rid of the following squad players:

Dida (No explanation needed)
Kalac (Refer to above comment)
Cafu (Too old)
Maldini (Legend of the game, but needs to call it a day)
Serghino (Too old)
Brocchi (Doesn't provide anything special)
Ba (No comment)
Inzaghi (34 now. Maybe can be a bench player)
Gilardino (Best suited to a medium to small sized club)
Simic (Past his time)
Favalli (Too old)

They basicly need 10 players. 2 keepers, 3 defenders, 2 strikers & 3 midfielders.

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Caramelas13 wrote:
Milanista #22 wrote:we need to sign some defenders like Lahm & Zambrotta who would be useful.
In all honesty, not that it will happen, Milan need to get rid of the following squad players:

Dida (No explanation needed)
Kalac (Refer to above comment)
Cafu (Too old)
Maldini (Legend of the game, but needs to call it a day)
Serghino (Too old)
Brocchi (Doesn't provide anything special)
Ba (No comment)
Inzaghi (34 now. Maybe can be a bench player)
Gilardino (Best suited to a medium to small sized club)
Simic (Past his time)
Favalli (Too old)

They basicly need 10 players. 2 keepers, 3 defenders, 2 strikers & 3 midfielders.
yeah, these are all true statements. Gilardino should go to a Reggina, Maldini should have retired last season with Costacurta we are going to sell Simic in January, all other players released. Kalac should be in A-League same as Cafu.

Berlusconi has the money to do it, he is a damn billionaire, he could bring us younger more championship winning players and only gives us Pato. Carlos Eduardo & Lulinha would be good for the future. Lahm, Van Der Vaart, Chiellini, Schweinsteiger etc. these would help our squad return to it's best. We need a striker like Huntelaar or Afonso Alves who can score huge amounts of goals.

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

With the current situation of Milan being mid table. How long will KAKA stay???
I hope he does stay and play in Serie A, but surely he would like to be on a winning side?????
Milan have only the Champs League left to play for????

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

diegom wrote:With the current situation of Milan being mid table. How long will KAKA stay???
I hope he does stay and play in Serie A, but surely he would like to be on a winning side?????
Milan have only the Champs League left to play for????
They just got to make sure they finish 4th. That's their domestic goal now.

Pimpong
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pimpong »

This is a quite frustrating time for milan. caramelas is correct in what your saying. But I believe that the time has come for some new strikers and some new and younger defenders and a decent keeper. I have watched to many games where Dida has cost us points.

Ronaldo: quality when fit but constantly injured
Gilardino: Plays a bilnder every 5-6 games. Must be sold
Inzaghi: Good but getting on.
Oliviera: Still our player, get rid of him though
Maldini:Time to retire
Cafu: time to retire
Simic: to be sold
Favalli: to be sold
Ba:pointless signing
serginho: time to retire
brocchi: useless

the time has come to sign 2 quality strikers and I think Huntelaar can be one and Pato can be in the future. if Riquelme comes in january it will be a bonus for us as we can push Kaka up front. young defenders like micah richards should be signed for our defenders who arent getting any younger.

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is someone like Norman Einstein" Bill Shankly - Ex. Liverpool Manager

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

just out of curioisity, why was Ba signed?

and I believe that Lazio would be a suitable club for Gila (if we could afford him). we could use another striker and it is a perfect opportunity for him to rediscover his parma form.

gunther
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by gunther »

add ambrosini to that list
wandering in a bolton wonderland

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

Ambro had a poor game last night. I kind of blame him for the goal. He ducked under the cicinho cross which was headed in by Vucinic. If he stood his ground it would have struck him and perhaps the ball would have gone elsewhere. He then gave away a penalty and got a second yellow for it which gave him a red. I don't mind him as a back up.

F'u'ck knows why Ba was signed. Maybe for some added depth for Coppa Italia games??? But i'd rather sign a 19 year old then a 34 year old bacala.

I think Milan have to break the bank and spend big.

Pimpong
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pimpong »

Why dont we do that Caramelas, why not play some of the primavera youth players during cup games if they are blitzing in the league and see if they are up to serie a standard, see if we have produced the next kaka or nesta instead of poaching

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is someone like Norman Einstein" Bill Shankly - Ex. Liverpool Manager

INTERISTA
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by INTERISTA »

Great time to be a Inter fan :D
Ive said it b4 Milan always have a strong run home, Ronaldos telling the fans to be patient but if he delays his come back any longer Milan will be out of the title race.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

I think they are out of the race. Milanare 11 points behind and I can't see Inter dropping too many points as well.

INTERISTA
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by INTERISTA »

Juventino wrote:I think they are out of the race. Milanare 11 points behind and I can't see Inter dropping too many points as well.
mmm i dunno about that, we've yet to play Juve, Fiorentina, Milan and another bogey team of ours Lazio. So they can definitely make ground, with the last derby being so late in the season.

Pimpong
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pimpong »

Milan will beat inter, juve twice this season. Milan always play well during the big games but when it comes to the smaller teams they dont play well

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Pimpong wrote:Milan will beat inter, juve twice this season. Milan always play well during the big games but when it comes to the smaller teams they dont play well
bit like arsenal last year, being able to match it with the other top sides, but throwing points away to weaker teams. Except milan can't claim a lack of experience for this issue.