Arsenal 2-1 Lazio: Eduardo off the mark

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Arsenal 2-1 Lazio: Eduardo off the mark

Post by delfino_1936 »

Croatia striker Eduardo da Silva celebrated receiving a work permit with his first Arsenal goal against Lazio in the opening match of the Amsterdam Tournament tonight.

Young Dane Nicklas Bendtner also produced another impressive display, putting the Premier League club ahead in the first half.

Although it was another decent workout, in defence there is certainly still plenty of work to do - as at times the Gunners looked anything but secure in front of their own goal.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is expected to name a strengthened side for the game against hosts Ajax on Saturday night.

However, Brazil-born Eduardo - signed from Dinamo Zagreb for £7million in the wake of Thierry Henry's departure to Barcelona - can expect to get another chance to stake his claim for a regular place in the team when the new season kicks off against Fulham next weekend following a sharp display.

Team spirit impresses Senderos

The warning signs in defence, though, were there early on, as central pairing of Johan Djourou and Philippe Senderos were often drawn out of position, along with young full-back Armand Traore.

Senderos, captain for the day, did, though, make a fine saving tackle to deny Goran Pandev in the 14th minute.

The Macedonian striker beat the offside trap and took the ball around a diving Manuel Almunia.

However, Senderos recovered ground quickly to slide the ball behind just as Pandev looked to roll a shot into the empty net.

That chance proved a wake-up call for the English team.

And the Gunners promptly took the lead on 18 minutes through a fine finish from Bendtner.

A 20-yard effort from Cesc Fabregas cannoned off Guglielmo Stendardo, and straight into the path of the young Dane, who looked just on-side.

It seemed as if Bendtner had taken the ball too wide around the keeper.

However, the 6ft 3ins striker promptly drilled a low shot back across goal, between two men on the line and into the far corner.

After 25 minutes, Eduardo arrived at the far post to meet a corner from the right, but could not direct his header on target.

However, the Italians slowly began to gain the upper hand as the half-time interval approached and the equaliser came five minutes from the break.

A corner from the right was only half cleared. Eduardo tried to control the ball facing his own goal, and went down appealing for a foul, when any contact looked negligible.

The referee waved play on and Pandev spun to drill in an equaliser from 10 yards.

Lazio were soon in the ascendancy again during the second half, as they started to close down quickly in midfield.

In the 54th minute, though, Arsenal went back into the lead.

A corner from Tomas Rosicky on the left found its way through to Eduardo, lurking on the six-yard line.

The striker needed no second invitation, and bulleted a header into the bottom corner for his first Arsenal goal.

Wenger sent on Robin van Persie just after the hour mark, the Dutchman and former Feyenoord player receiving a good reception from the home crowd.

With 20 minutes left, Arsenal were exposed at the back again.

A low ball from the right came through for Tommaso Rocchi, but, under pressure, he fired over from close range.

Then, somehow, Arsenal failed to extend their lead. Van Persie broke down the right and into the area.

He drew the keeper, before cutting the ball back for Rosicky.

The Czech midfielder unselfishly fed Justin Hoyte on the overlap, but the Englishman then managed to sidefoot his close-range effort across goal and off the far post.

Van Persie almost caught out Lazio keeper Marco Ballotta with a long-range effort.

Wenger will give more of an indication of his first-choice starting XI against Ajax - when the Arsenal manager will expect an improved display at the back and more of the same in attack.

Team spirit impresses Senderos

Arsenal have the right 'character' as they continue preparations for the new season, according to defender Philippe Senderos.

'We had a lot of youngsters out there, and we did a tremendous job,' the Swiss centre-back told Sky Sports. 'We wanted to show we can push on for the first team, and that is what we did.

'We have a lot of character and showed out there we are a good team.'

Senderos maintains Arsenal can have an impact on the Barclays Premier League title race next season, even though they have sold the likes of Thierry Henry and Freddie Ljungberg.

Senderos said: 'We want to be at the top, and are going to try our best this year. We do not mind being outsiders like everyone else thinks.

'We just want to play our own game and prove everyone else wrong.'

Bendtner - loaned out to Birmingham last season - added to his goal against Paris St Germain in the Emirates Cup last weekend with a neat finish during the first half.

The Dane, 19, said: 'The most important thing for me is that the team win. It is what you do on the pitch which matters, and we all work together really well.

'There are good players in my position, so it is going to be tough, but when I get my chance I am going to take it.'

'Eduardo played well and celebrated his work permit very well today, and scored a goal,' Wenger said.

'His integration in the team play was very good.'

Regarding the work permit, Wenger said: 'I felt we had a lot of good vibes because he is a regular player for the Croatia team and anyway in three months we will have the 75% (of national team games). We were confident but you never know.'

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

looks like it will be between ajax and arsenal for the Amsterdam Tournament title

*sigh*

another starting player out next game, gabri got a red card

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

hahaha was waiting to see u post this rigoni. Spoken to lefty about the result :lol:

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

ffs, spewing that we lost and i have copped cabernet all day for it but 2-1 against arsenal isnt too bad and we should still make the CL group stages

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

its ok laziale dont cry bro. these games dont mean much

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

zola wrote:its ok laziale dont cry bro. these games dont mean much
they do when abou t 10 of your mates support arsenal

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

Laziale wrote:ffs, spewing that we lost and i have copped cabernet all day for it but 2-1 against arsenal isnt too bad and we should still make the CL group stages
Laziale, what did i say on FB....2-1 to the Arsenal Bendtner to score one :D

Zola is right it doesnt mean much yeh will hurt if u have Arsenal mates lol

Good stuff lads, Eduardo and Bendtner looking good!! cant wait for nxt sunday

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Rigoni 10 wrote:
Laziale wrote:ffs, spewing that we lost and i have copped cabernet all day for it but 2-1 against arsenal isnt too bad and we should still make the CL group stages

Its not the result that im mad about, cant wait for tonites UCL 3rd round draw. Hoping to avoid the greek and serb sides so i dont have to cop more shite if we lose.

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

Laziale wrote:
Rigoni 10 wrote:

Its not the result that im mad about, cant wait for tonites UCL 3rd round draw. Hoping to avoid the greek and serb sides so i dont have to cop more shite if we lose.
yeh same im looking forward to it also

don't care who we get, we'll beat em

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

if we continue our form we'll win. its looking good for us actually, but serie a will be tough and we have a lot of matches to play without the depth that the big 4 sides have.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Good result for the Gooners!!
Weve had some good hit outs this preseason.. lookin forward to next weeks kick off

Got the new white away kit today thru the post.. its PRO :D
one of the best weve had in a while
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012