Gillet: No Rafa rift over transfer cash

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

LeBron
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by LeBron »

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett is adamant the club will resist 'spending like a drunken sailor' this summer but insists there has been no fall-out with manager Rafael Benitez over the size of his transfer kitty.

Rumours abounded of a giant war chest being made available to the Reds boss this close season following the takeover by Gillett and fellow American tycoon Tom Hicks earlier this year.

Superstars such as Samuel Eto'o and David Villa were mooted as possible transfer targets for the Merseyside club, but with little business transacted so far this summer it has been suggested that financial restrictions have forced Benitez to lower his sights somewhat.

As a result, reports have claimed that the former Valencia coach is disillusioned with the new regime at Anfield, but Gillett has angrily denied that there is a rift.

'I read that Rafa is throwing hand-grenades at us and making demands, that there's a tension or disagreement between him and the Gillett and Hicks families,' Gillett said in The Times.

'Nothing could be farther from the truth.

'As far back as February, Rafa laid out a programme for us.

'Each one of our sports businesses has a core concept. You can't just flop around looking at opportunities here and there, go left, go right. It has to be part of an integrated plan.

'We have one at Liverpool, one we understand 100%, believe in and support. The plan involves us spending money, but it will be part of a plan, not just spending like a drunken sailor.

LFTWNG11 they better start splashing the cash and soon!!! :x

CFC10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by CFC10 »

I don't think anyone expected them to 'spend like a drunken sailor', but the thing is they haven't spent a damn thing in terms of talent. Especially with all the big talk from Rafa towards the end of the season. I believe some reference was made to signing big, and securing contracts fast.

Does he even know it's transfer season? lol

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

CFC10 wrote:I don't think anyone expected them to 'spend like a drunken sailor', but the thing is they haven't spent a damn thing in terms of talent. Especially with all the big talk from Rafa towards the end of the season. I believe some reference was made to signing big, and securing contracts fast.

why cos we havent made 2 or 3 free signings now that the owner has taken away all our money :cry: oh sorry thats chelski.

yeh LFC8, we dnt need to waste money, but that doesnt mean we must be tight asses like we have been for fucking years!!! There americans are pissing me off... if Rafa leaves cos of these cunts, its gna be a tough year.

P.S. See the mighty navy blues on the weekend... :wink:

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

No need to get stuck into chelsea just cos rafa doesnt know whats going on and the new owners are tight arses!
:roll:

By the sounds of it there are big plans in the works. All this talk about rafa leaving is just that - talk. All u scousers can do is wait it out.

LeBron
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by LeBron »

LFTWNG11 wrote:
CFC10 wrote:I don't think anyone expected them to 'spend like a drunken sailor', but the thing is they haven't spent a damn thing in terms of talent. Especially with all the big talk from Rafa towards the end of the season. I believe some reference was made to signing big, and securing contracts fast.

why cos we havent made 2 or 3 free signings now that the owner has taken away all our money :cry: oh sorry thats chelski.

yeh LFC8, we dnt need to waste money, but that doesnt mean we must be tight asses like we have been for fucking years!!! There americans are pissing me off... if Rafa leaves cos of these cunts, its gna be a tough year.

P.S. See the mighty navy blues on the weekend... :wink:
Just read on a forum in the UK that we're out of the running for Tevez & Eto'o....the Yanks wont spend that much cash on them....shiraz W.A.N.K.E.R.S!!!
You said a week or two ago that they were pissing u off and I said give it time..........Time is moving fast and we've seen/heard nothing apart from rumours. I'm with you..... these shiraz tight ass shiraz yanks better get there cheque books out cause there f@rking me off now.......BIG TIME!!

Blues.....what Blues.....was there a footy game on on Saturday?????...can't remember :x :x :x :x

Happy Kopite
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Happy Kopite »

Relax fellow reds!!! Rafa has been on holiday and will sign the players he wants soon enough. Stevie G wont have signed a new 5 year contract unless he knew for sure that there was gonna be some changes.

Expect 3 new players to replace Gonzalez, Fowler and Zenden. Then maybe more if we sell some others...Bellamy, Kewell.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains". Bill Shankly

LeBron
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by LeBron »

Happy Kopite wrote:Relax fellow reds!!! Rafa has been on holiday and will sign the players he wants soon enough. Stevie G wont have signed a new 5 year contract unless he knew for sure that there was gonna be some changes.

Expect 3 new players to replace Gonzalez, Fowler and Zenden. Then maybe more if we sell some others...Bellamy, Kewell.

So I read/hear that Eto'o was top of Rafa's shopping list and the yanks wont fork out the cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

We need more than 3 players to compete for the League Kopite. We need wingers left and right....at least 1 world class striker if not two.....cover for left or right back and at least one quality centre back.

CFC10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by CFC10 »

why cos we havent made 2 or 3 free signings now that the owner has taken away all our money Crying or Very sad oh sorry thats chelski.
No need to get stuck into chelsea just cos rafa doesnt know whats going on and the new owners are tight arses!
Rolling Eyes
Again, no need to take a Chelsea shot considering what I wrote was not a knock at Liverpool. Once I start doing that feel free to open up guns blazing :P

Just saying the rest of the world is sick of waiting for Liverpool to start spending the large transfer budget they had promised their fans towards the end of the season too. Sure Rafa has been on holidays or whatever, but so have other managers like Allardyce who have come back early to make the key signings they want for next season.

IMHO they already have a world class striker in Kuyt, I highly rate him, so I wouldn't put a striker high on their priority list. Someone to help support him and Crouch sure, but no need to spend too big there. I do agree some quality wingers would be a massive boost to them, as well as some extra depth in midfield.

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

Liverpool need to sign 4 players if they want to compete with Chelsea & Man U.

A stopper - G.Milito
A Left Winger - F.Malouda
A Right Winger - Simao
A Gun Forward - Either Eto'o, Villa, Torres or Tevez.

Liverpool need a striker who can score 20+ goals in the Premier League. I don't think Kuyt is going to be that player.

They've had the likes of Baros & Cisse. Now they need the BIG time players.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

was only stirring CFC10... honestly Chelski have done alright without spenidng anything. :wink:

as for Liverpool, there is plenty of time to sign who they need to sign but that being said the slower they are to act, the less likely they get who Rafa wants. Anyone who thinks rafa isnt cut about being told he wont be able to get the players he wants is dellusional... he would be peaking... im just hoping its all a smokescreen with Pool just making sure clubs dont over-price their players... but still look at Malouda, Lyon agreed on a fee of 10m pounds, then Chelski and Arsenal came in and now Lyon expect 17m pounds or he isnt going anywhere!!! If Pool had accepted the deal quickly, we wouldnt be paying the extra 7m pounds!

all in all i reserve my final judgement on their trasnfer dealings on the 31st of AUgust, but at this point in time, they look shambles... and these yanks are fucking tight asses

LeBron
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by LeBron »

Caramelas13 wrote:Liverpool need to sign 4 players if they want to compete with Chelsea & Man U.

A stopper - G.Milito
A Left Winger - F.Malouda
A Right Winger - Simao
A Gun Forward - Either Eto'o, Villa, Torres or Tevez.

Liverpool need a striker who can score 20+ goals in the Premier League. I don't think Kuyt is going to be that player.

They've had the likes of Baros & Cisse. Now they need the BIG time players.
Agree Agree Agree

(Can't believe I'm agreeing with a crows supporter :lol: :wink: )