Socceroos announce strong squad for Asian Cup

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Socceroos announce strong squad for Asian Cup

Post by admin »

Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer, Brad Jones, Michael Petkovic.

Defenders: Lucas Neill, Brett Emerton, Michael Beauchamp, Michael Thwaite, Mark Milligan, Patrick Kisnorbo.

Midfielders: Mark Bresciano, Harry Kewell, Tim Cahill, Vince Grella, Mile Sterjovski, Luke Wilkshire, Jason Culina, Carl Valeri, Nick Carle, David Carney.

Forwards: Mark Viduka, John Aloisi, Archie Thompson, Brett Holman.

billi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by billi »

i cant beleive that scott mcdonald is one of the stand by players. and carney is in the squad. this guy has just signed for celtic for crying out loud. on the whole the squad looks good, but it would have been better brining in sayd james trosi or a young gun rather that say carney, to experience them to this type of competition in preperation for the world cup.

LeBron
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by LeBron »

billi wrote:i cant beleive that scott mcdonald is one of the stand by players. and carney is in the squad. this guy has just signed for celtic for crying out loud. on the whole the squad looks good, but it would have been better brining in sayd james trosi or a young gun rather that say carney, to experience them to this type of competition in preperation for the world cup.
Agree!!

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

McDonald needs to do the pre season at Celtic, Im sure that would be better for his development to get into the Celtic team, then later on come into the Socceroo squad.

Socceroos arent short on strikers

Rodger-k
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Rodger-k »

The Asian Cup is no place to 'trial' youngsters, young James will get his turn all in good time.

Patience is a virtue

Would like to see James and a couple of others tried in the Argentina match come November. Thought Scott did OK against Uruguay but didn't stamp his authority up front as the Dukes does. But mark V is a world class striker.

After the Asian Cup we should experiment with some younger combinations.
Blue is the color, football is the game.
2006/2007 EPL runner up
2006/2007 Champions League Semi-Finalist
2006/2007 FA Cup winners
2006/2007 League Cup winners
and still considered 2006/2007 to be an un-successful season

sparts
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sparts »

i reckon we look a bit light on in defence...which 4 would u have starting? or even a back 3?obviously niell then the other spots are pretty open, i guess have neill in the middle and emerton on the right
"barmy army, chairboys!!"

INTERISTA
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Socceroos announce strong squad for Asian Cup

Post by INTERISTA »

admin wrote:Goalkeepers: Mark Schwarzer, Brad Jones, Michael Petkovic.

Defenders: Lucas Neill, Brett Emerton, Michael Beauchamp, Michael Thwaite, Mark Milligan, Patrick Kisnorbo.

Midfielders: Mark Bresciano, Harry Kewell, Tim Cahill, Vince Grella, Mile Sterjovski, Luke Wilkshire, Jason Culina, Carl Valeri, Nick Carle, David Carney.

Forwards: Mark Viduka, John Aloisi, Archie Thompson, Brett Holman.
talented kid

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Mark Viduka is NOT a world class striker, one of the biggest over-statements I've ever heard. He is Austrlaia's best and plays at the top level, but is not world class... that term is bandied around too easily, Eto'o is world class, Luca Toni is world class, Ronaldo is world class, Viduka is not in the same category as them.

the only player that came close to being world class was Kewell, if he didnt get 4 years worht of injuries he probably would of been world class.

CR7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by CR7 »

LFTWNG11 wrote:Mark Viduka is NOT a world class striker, one of the biggest over-statements I've ever heard. He is Austrlaia's best and plays at the top level, but is not world class... that term is bandied around too easily, Eto'o is world class, Luca Toni is world class, Ronaldo is world class, Viduka is not in the same category as them.

the only player that came close to being world class was Kewell, if he didnt get 4 years worht of injuries he probably would of been world class.
mate u havin a larf?

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

50 in his last two seasons at Fiorentina and another 50 before that at in two seasons at Palermo isn't good enough?

Rodger-k
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Rodger-k »

Lefty> in my opinion The DUKES is right up there, with all due respect to those players you have mentioned none of them have made a mark in the EPL yet, but you banty around the term World Class player.

What makes any player a World Class player? In my mind when he consistantly performs at a high level, some times in some very ordinary teams. So Viduka performing with Middlesbough in the EPL against some the best defensive players going around with some very ordinary team mates, makes him a World Class Player because he consitantly performs well in those situations.

Lets see how Toni will go in the German League next season, when he has to grind out results in trying conditions with some ordinary team mates.

I agree Harry could have been a world class player and may well be after all he is still in his prime.
Last edited by Rodger-k on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006/2007 EPL runner up
2006/2007 FA Cup winners

aussie_ascoli
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by aussie_ascoli »

juventino_4_ever wrote:50 in his last two seasons at Fiorentina and another 50 before that at in two seasons at Palermo isn't good enough?
According to the english isn't Serie A the most defensive league as well??? Must make him even better then, if he can score so many goals in such a league :lol:

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Rodger-k wrote:Lefty> in my opinion The DUKES is right up there, with all due respect to those players you have mentioned none of them have made a mark in the EPL yet, but you banty around the term World Class player.

What makes any player a World Class player? In my mind when he consistantly performs at a high level, some times in some very ordinary teams. So Viduka performing with Middlesbough in the EPL against some the best defensive players going around with some very ordinary team mates, makes him a World Class Player because he consitantly performs well in those situations.

Lets see how Toni will go in the German League next season, when he has to grind out results in trying conditions with some ordinary team mates.

To be trueful you and I could look better than we are playing for Italy or Brazil.

I agree Harry was a world class player and may well be again after all he is still in his prime.
Well Viduka hasn't left his mark in Italy or Spain either...

So by your definition of ordainary teammates and Viduka exceling with them, that must mean Cristiano Lucarelli is the best striker in the world, considering he has scored over 100 goals in 4 seasons with an ordainary Livorno team playing against the best defenders in the world in the so called most defensive league in the world.

Oh and if Ribery, Podolski, Klose, Kahn, Lucio, Van Bommel, Lahm and Schwinsteiger (sp?) are ordainary teammates, show me some top class ones...

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Rodger-k wrote:Lefty> in my opinion The DUKES is right up there, with all due respect to those players you have mentioned none of them have made a mark in the EPL yet, but you banty around the term World Class player.

I agree Harry could have been a world class player and may well be after all he is still in his prime.
So because they dont ply their trade in the EPL then they arent world class... this is the reason why I didnt even bother readin the rest of your post. Ignoarnace at its best and a reason why England will always be a second tier international team, because English supporters like yourself are blind to what is outside your comfortbale little circle.

Eto'o, Toni, Ronaldo are all light years ahead of Viduka, jsut because they didnt play in EPL doesnt mean cabernet! I guess Kaka and Ronaldinho arent world class either cos they never proved themselves in the EPL, hey?? It might suprise you buyt I find world class strikers rare to come by, there are only a few in each league at best, and in the EPL Viduka is NOT one of them, I would put Henry, Drogba, Rooney and Berbatov before I would even consider Viduka.

Yea Luca Toni never had to grind out results in the Serie A with teams like Fiorentina and Palermo, they had the best players available (nevermind Inter, AC, Juve).... As with Eto'o, pichichi with mallorca who finished mid-table... but again they werent playing EPL so they wouldnt know whats it like to grind out results :roll:

If you want to keep kidding yourself Viduka is world class, look at his international record, the bloke cant even score a penalty at international level.

Cant believe im arguing about Viduka in compairson to the truly world class players I've mentioned.

Ignorance is bliss hey Rodger-K?

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Rooney8 wrote:
LFTWNG11 wrote:Mark Viduka is NOT a world class striker, one of the biggest over-statements I've ever heard. He is Austrlaia's best and plays at the top level, but is not world class... that term is bandied around too easily, Eto'o is world class, Luca Toni is world class, Ronaldo is world class, Viduka is not in the same category as them.

mate u havin a larf?
EUROPEAN GOLDEN BOOT WINNER 2006, says it all.

Rodger-k
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Rodger-k »

:) that seemed to hit the Mark.............LOL

In my opinion the Dukes is a World Class Player, not saying the others aren't but I believe Mark is.

And yes I do believe that some of those players mentioned would struggle in the EPL.

Hopefully Eto will have a chance next season to test his skills with who ever he chooses in the EPL.
2006/2007 EPL runner up
2006/2007 FA Cup winners

Rocky10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Rocky10 »

Wheres Nathan Burns?

I reckon he has the potential to be influential at an international level.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Sydney male seeking long-term relationship (withantoher male) wrote::) that seemed to hit the Mark.............LOL

In my opinion the Dukes is a World Class Player, not saying the others aren't but I believe Mark is.

And yes I do believe that some of those players mentioned would struggle in the EPL.

Hopefully Eto will have a chance next season to test his skills with who ever he chooses in the EPL.
your from Sydeny, says it all really... your entitled your opinion, no matter how dellusional (and homosexual).

so what your saying is that Viduka could move to Spain and Italy and carve it up, but Eto'o, Toni, Ronaldo couldnt... :roll:

just FYI, Viduka didnt even carve it up tat good in the EPL, 19 goals... big deal, he didnt win the top goalscorer award, didnt make the team of the season, didnt win any awards of any note, so obviously not even the best in the league he is playing right now... he would struggle in Italy no doubt about that.

Stick to rugby.

Rodger-k
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Rodger-k »

Lefty > some times ignorance is bliss - LOL

For future reference I support the Socceroos, first last and always. I don't have a second country to barrack for.

I'm a fan of the English Premier League thats all, just a personnel preference.
2006/2007 EPL runner up
2006/2007 FA Cup winners

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Rocky10 wrote:Wheres Nathan Burns?

I reckon he has the potential to be influential at an international level.
Give him time to develop...

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

Rodger-k wrote:Lefty > some times ignorance is bliss - LOL

For future reference I support the Socceroos, first last and always. I don't have a second country to barrack for.

I'm a fan of the English Premier League thats all, just a personnel preference.
Rodger K I give u leniency because you are a chelsea supporter but if you are to be a true fan of football you need to open your eyes to the the other leagues. I am huge fan of the EPL but I believe that many fans in Australia only follow the EPL because that is what is the most frequently televised. There are many strikers that fit much better into the 'world class' catagory than Dukes. When judging players on a 'world class level you need to use the broader spectrum and include europe.

P.S. Lefty - you forgot Drogba and Robben lol

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

LFTWNG11 wrote:I would put Henry, Drogba, Rooney and Berbatov before I would even consider Viduka.
Did I zola?!?!? :wink: You know I think Drogba is one of the best in world, maybe even as good as Viduka... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

31 goals in one Serie A season with Fiorentina. how many do you have to score to be considered world class. Dukes will never score 31 goals in a season.

A few weeks ago i was reading a transfer thread on a lazio forum and someone suggested signing Viduka on a free transfer. The whole forum had a laugh at that idea. I think the forum was xtratime.org

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Laziale wrote:31 goals in one Serie A season with Fiorentina. how many do you have to score to be considered world class. Dukes will never score 31 goals in a season.

A few weeks ago i was reading a transfer thread on a lazio forum and someone suggested signing Viduka on a free transfer. The whole forum had a laugh at that idea. I think the forum was xtratime.org
Viduka - 154 goals in 323 senior appearances - that is a pretty good record.

Toni - 146 goals in 319 senior apperances - that is also a pretty good record.

I would say both players are world class.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

I didn't realise Viduka has scored so many goals. Pretty impressive record. I am a Boro fan and think the world of the Duke but I think he is a class player, not a world class. World class status should be reserved for the top 25 players.

I'm not a big Seria A fan or Italian fan but I do rate Toni. Wouldn't put him in the top 25 either though

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Just to get back to the topic though, why have we picked Carney. He is a good A league player but surely there are better players than him running around. I think we are a little light in defence also. I also think that McDonald should of being picked. What happened to Kennedy. I really dont rate Archie Thompson either. Could be handy though.

Its fair to say we really need to develop some quality defenders.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

JayWalking wrote:Just to get back to the topic though, why have we picked Carney. He is a good A league player but surely there are better players than him running around. I think we are a little light in defence also. I also think that McDonald should of being picked. What happened to Kennedy. I really dont rate Archie Thompson either. Could be handy though.

Kennedy's still injured. I agree that Carney shouldn't have been picked. Neither should Milligan. Why McDonald wasn't selected - http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/ind ... &cid=89893.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Laziale wrote:
JayWalking wrote:Just to get back to the topic though, why have we picked Carney. He is a good A league player but surely there are better players than him running around. I think we are a little light in defence also. I also think that McDonald should of being picked. What happened to Kennedy. I really dont rate Archie Thompson either. Could be handy though.

Kennedy's still injured. I agree that Carney shouldn't have been picked. Neither should Milligan. Why McDonald wasn't selected - http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/ind ... &cid=89893.
I can understand the reason but surely playing in a competitive cut throat enviroment under pressure is better than some shuttle drills and running laps. If Arnie didn't intend on playing him much then fair enough though. I think it shows that Viduka will play as the lone striker with Cahill and Kewell pushing forward with Bresia.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JayWalking wrote:I didn't realise Viduka has scored so many goals. Pretty impressive record. I am a Boro fan and think the world of the Duke but I think he is a class player, not a world class. World class status should be reserved for the top 25 players.

I'm not a big Seria A fan or Italian fan but I do rate Toni. Wouldn't put him in the top 25 either though
I would put Viduka in the top 25 strikers in the world (or certainly pretty close to be in the top 25) but would not put him the top 25 players.

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Post by FerrariTifosi27 »

Viduka is in form at the moment hopefully he keeps it for the Asian Cup. We also have to rely on our squad we have great talent and good players with Cahill & Kewell returning from injury. Valeri will be a player to watch.