Chelsea snap up Pizarro - Report

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Chelsea snap up Pizarro - Report

Post by BillShankly »

Bayern Munich striker Claudio Pizarro has reportedly joined Chelsea on a free transfer, according to Friday's press.

The Peruvian striker is out-of-contract and is seeking a move away from the deposed Bundesliga champions after they failed to qualify for next season's Champions League.

Pizarro had been heavily linked with a move to Juventus after snubbing an ambitious offer from Rangers, but it appears the departure of Didier Deschamps from the Turin giants put an end to their interest.

Pizarro has scored 97 goals in 229 games for the German giants.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Pizarro joins Chelsea

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Chelsea have signed Peru striker Claudio Pizarro from Bayern Munich on a free transfer.

The forward passed a medical and agreed terms to seal a move to Stamford Bridge.

Bayern's signing of Italy striker Luca Toni from Fiorentina this week left Pizarro further down the pecking order at the Allianz Arena.

Despite being a regular substitute for Bayern - behind Roy Makaay, Lukas Podolski - Pizarro's availability prompted interest from a number of top clubs.

But the forward told Chelsea TV: "I think it's very important for me to win some titles and I have the chance here to win them."

"The most important thing is the Champions League which I was looking to win with Bayern, but we didn't have the chance. I think now we have a good team, a good trainer and the chance to win it."

"I had some interesting offers, but the most important thing was that I talked to the coach, I talked to the people here, and they were very interested. We have many chances to win titles here and that's what I want."

Pizarro added: "I get used very fast to playing with different kinds of players. I did it at Bayern and I don't think it will be a problem now."

The signing is Chelsea's third in the off-season following the recruitment of Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell and Oldham starlet Danny Philliskirk.

Pizarro had been expected to put pen to paper on a four-year deal at Stamford Bridge with unsettled defender Khalid Boulahrouz tipped for a move in the opposite direction.

Boulahrouz has failed to settle in England following his £10million ($A24million) move from Hamburg last year and would welcome a return to Germany.

Meanwhile, agent Rune Hauge has revealed that England's top five clubs are monitoring Morten Gamst Pedersen.

The Blackburn winger, 25, has become a target for Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham.

Hauge told Dagbladet: "All the big five follow Morten's situation. We are in contact with the clubs. Morten plays in a special position on the left and can play as well both in 4-3-3 and 4-4-2."

"The big ones might not have space for players of his type and we might see players in that position leave some of the clubs in the coming weeks."

Chelsea appear to have lost out on Barcelona youngster Iago Falque after he elected to remain in Catalonia.

Frank Arnesen's scouting network earmarked the youngster for a move to the Blues but the Spanish youth star rebuffed the offer to move to west London.

The 17-year-old was offered terms by Arnesen, but has instead opted to remain with Barcelona 'B' for the coming season with the hope of making the breakthrough to Frank Rijkaard's first team.

But Chelsea are delighted with the signing of 16-year-old Philliskirk, son of Latics youth team coach Tony, who signed a four-year deal.

Philliskirk will undertake a two-year scholarship before moving onto a professional contract for the remainder of his spell.

Oldham are expected to benefit from numerous add-ons and Chelsea have agreed to send some of the club's top youngsters out on loan to Boundary Park.

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

Not overly exciting but still a decent signing. Necessary if we lose Robben and Sheva

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

pretty decent signing in my books

pizzaro is a good player

will compliment drogba better than shevchenko has

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

I can see him doing aswell as Sheva did
Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

I'm surprised Toni left to go to Germany considering there not in the Champions League this year. I thought maybe one of the big Italian clubs would of had a crack at him

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

JayWalking wrote:I'm surprised Toni left to go to Germany considering there not in the Champions League this year. I thought maybe one of the big Italian clubs would of had a crack at him
inter and juve did but he said he didn't want to play against fiorentina

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Fair enough then. I'm not the biggest fan of Italian football, excluding Milan and my team Parma but I really rate Toni. Would like to see him in EPL or Spain

terriblygifted
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by terriblygifted »

More of a reason for a Shevi return to Milan. Striker signed, striker goes. I'd love the great man back!!

El Pocho Lavezzi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by El Pocho Lavezzi »

Laziale wrote:
JayWalking wrote:I'm surprised Toni left to go to Germany considering there not in the Champions League this year. I thought maybe one of the big Italian clubs would of had a crack at him
inter and juve did but he said he didn't want to play against fiorentina
might have to in the latter stages of next seasons UEFA cup.. could happen.