Maldini – A Born Winner

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Maldini – A Born Winner

Post by getborn »

After triumphing for the fifth time in the Champions League, Maldini stated he wants to play the European Super Cup and the Intercontinental Cup, admitting he’ll go on for at least one more year, despite his left leg is not that fit anymore.

He was supposed to retire at the end of the current season, but it looks like he’s decided there is still plenty of time to think about hanging his boots. The Milan captain has discovered the elixir of life, which can be summarized in only one sweet and merry word: victory…

In Italy to be the offspring of a famous person, being it a journalist or a physician or a professor, means very often that you can have an easy life, following the path already set by your parent.

I’m obviously grossly generalizing, but it’s not that uncommon that the son of a law professor begins a career at university or the daughter on an actress starts performing as well.

Unfortunately some of the lucky children get the job mainly because of their illustrious parents, not for their own merits, but it’s not always like that.

Paolo Maldini is one of those exceptions, as he started playing football just because he liked it and he had a good potential – to say the least...

His father Cesare Maldini, who went on to Coach the Azzurri, was a key player in Nereo Rocco’s rock-like defence back in the sixties.

He won only a European Cup, in 1963, when a double by Brazilian striker Josè Altafini, now a well known commentator for Italian Sky, did the trick and Milan defeated Eusebio’s mighty Benfica at the Old Wembley Stadium – the one with the towers, not the Blairian arch...

Maldini junior has got a far better record in the European competitions, having won five European Cup – or Champions League, I should say… But honestly, and we’re sure Cesarone will not mind, it’s not only a question of trophies. It’s a question of qualities.

Paolo is more talented than his father, who trained him in the unlucky – for Italy – France 1998 World Cup. He’s got a better technique, a good ability at scoring goals and he’s faster paced.

He’s also more of a marathon man than his daddy who retired when he was 35, and more versatile, as he can play wing-back and centre-back.

Maldini senior could perform as a full back and that was it. In fact Paolo has set the all time record for Serie A, playing the incredible amount of 600 games, to which he added 28 goals.

In his career he’s only performed for Milan, while Cesare started in his home town with Triestina and finished wearing a Granata shirt in Turin.

Having spent 23 seasons in the same club, Maldini is definitely a rare bird in the world of sports, especially now, in the “corporate football eraâ€￾ where players are promiscuous and clubs seen with a less passionate feeling of belonging with millions in play.

Before leaving the national team, in the aftermath of another national tragedy, the Korea defeat in 2002, he collected 126 caps (another all time record for Italy), hitting the back of the net seven times.

Those figures speak for themselves, even though we could go on mentioning a few more records (eight Champions League finals, 74 appearances for Italy wearing the captain arm band, seven Scudetti, etc.).

His Serie A debut took place in a cold January afternoon, in Udine and the Milan Coach at that time, former fifties Swedish star Nils Liedholm, had no doubt: Maldini was glory bound.

It was 1985 and Maldini was only 16 – he’s turning 39 next June – but you could actually tell he was more than a good prospect.

What at that time Liddas – as Liedholm, now a much respected wine maker, is nicknamed – didn’t know was that AC Milan were also destined to shine in Italy and Europe like no other club would do.

The following two decades were going to be the most successful of the Rossoneri history. Paolino Maldini was there, playing in the back with the likes of Baresi and Stam, Tassotti and Costacurta, Nesta and Panucci.

He was, actually he still is, a living advert for our sport. His tackles raised to a legendary status, his quick runs on the left side of the pitch are simply memorable, while his fair play has a few equals in the rest of the world.

Unfortunately he shares the same destiny of other former Milan team mates, like Massaro, Donadoni, Baresi, Albertini and a few more: he’s never won a World Cup.

He lost a final on penalties in 1994, when he had to comfort Baresi, who had missed from the penalty spot and was crying like a baby.

To be precise he was also defeated by France in the Euro 2000 last act, but that doesn’t hurt as much as the World Cup failures.

One more stain on the nearly immaculate career of Maldini could be the absence of his name on the list of the Ballon d’or winners.

But I don’t think that’s too important, firstly because in Italy that trophy is a bit overrated and secondly because Maldini’s name is well present in the history of football anyway, with or without a Ballon d’or making a fine show on his bookshelf.

Maybe some of the sweetest words on Maldini marvellous career were uttered a few days ago by Materazzi, a symbol of his cross town rivals.

“It’s a pity Paolo, the best defender in the last two decades, hasn’t won the World Cup. I’m really sorry for him. I actually managed to lift that cup and he didn’t, it’s incredibleâ€￾.

Maldini is not the only superstar without a World Cup success. That club has got a few illustrious members, like Best, Di Stefano and Cruijff, just to name a few.

But you cannot achieve everything in your life, can you? At least he can put a tape on and watch a European Cup final. He has plenty of tapes to choose from and a new one as well.

It says 2007, V for Vendetta, V for victory…and who would argue that the veteran has earned a place not just in the hearts of Rossoneri or Azzurri fans, but in true football fans' hearts wherever they live…forever.

diegom
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by diegom »

Good read mate, also his son is apparently playing exceptional for the juniors at Milan. One 2 watch in the future???

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

diegom wrote:Good read mate, also his son is apparently playing exceptional for the juniors at Milan. One 2 watch in the future???
if his grandfather and father are anything to go by, very promising.

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

His son has already been promised the number 3 shirt.

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

SILENT P wrote:His son has already been promised the number 3 shirt.
heard it will be retired (and believe it should be), however it would be a fitting tribute to bring it out of retirement for his son should the oppurtunity arise.

King Henry Returns
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by King Henry Returns »

Greatest defender to ever live along with Baresi,

I can’t say much that hasn’t already been said about this legend,

He is Rossonero through & through, in fact even if u re-arrange the letters of his name it can spell 'di Milan'

terriblygifted
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by terriblygifted »

Scirea has to have a mention. A wonderful footballer and defender if ever there was one. And Cannavaro would have to be close, even though he doesn't have the same number of trophies to his name (World Cup and Golden Ball aside)

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

what a champion. deserved to win a world cup. one of the greatest defenders of all time.

Madrista
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Madrista »

Not as good as Hierro! With all due respect.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

getborn wrote:
SILENT P wrote:His son has already been promised the number 3 shirt.
heard it will be retired (and believe it should be), however it would be a fitting tribute to bring it out of retirement for his son should the oppurtunity arise.
Galliani said it would be retired until another Maldini makes it to the Milan first team.
terriblygifted wrote:Scirea has to have a mention. A wonderful footballer and defender if ever there was one. And Cannavaro would have to be close, even though he doesn't have the same number of trophies to his name (World Cup and Golden Ball aside)
Yes! Scirea was such a brilliant player. The reason why Baresi didn't break through into the Italian team regularly just after 82 was because Scirea was just that good, Baresi couldn't get past him and start.

Inter_boy;)
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Inter_boy;) »

Madrista wrote:Not as good as Hierro! With all due respect.
LOL, your a joke mate

im a one eyed inter man, but i admitt maldini is arguably the greatest defender to ever step onto a football pitch. He would be in almost everybodys all time 11 team

Yes, Scirea, champion player RIP

Maldini , Baresi, Sceria , Facchetti, Bergomi, Gentile & Materazzi :) greatest defenders.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

As well as Picchi, Brio, Cuccureddu, Cannavaro, Nesta, Monti, Cabrini and many more I still have forgotten!

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Post by FerrariTifosi27 »

Maldini will always be a true legend of the World Game. He eversince his debut has become a phenomenal player and I believe that he is one of Italy's best defenders and the best the world has ever seen. 5 Champions Leagues and most of all a Milanista in blood and spirit. He will no-doubt be a Milan legend.

Forza Maldini #3!

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

Inter_boy;) wrote:
LOL, your a joke mate

im a one eyed inter man, but i admitt maldini is arguably the greatest defender to ever step onto a football pitch. He would be in almost everybodys all time 11 team

Maldini , Baresi, Sceria , Facchetti, Bergomi, Gentile & Materazzi :) greatest defenders.
Damn Rite!

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

sorry but i dont rate him !! he's just OK !!

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Does this surprise anyone? You probably think Ferdinand is the greatest defender to ever live :roll:

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

yep ..

First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by 10 »

ronaldo07 wrote:sorry but i dont rate him !! he's just OK !!
agree.

overrated!!!!

:D
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt" - Bill Shankly

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The one and only »

Inter_boy;) wrote:
LOL, your a joke mate

why because he doesnt think an italian was the best :?: . i think maldini is an all time legend and probably one of the best of all time but hierro at his best is one of the all time greats to
I speak nothing but the truth

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

10 wrote:
ronaldo07 wrote:sorry but i dont rate him !! he's just OK !!
agree.

overrated!!!!

:D
i agree ... he's overrated !!

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

ronaldo07 wrote:yep ..
you think Rio Ferdinand is better than paolo Maldini... I mean Madrista's Hierro comment was bad enough, but at least Hierro won so much with Real Madrid including 3 CL title (or 2?)... but Rio has done NOTHING compared to Maldini... your an idiot ronaldo07, be serious please.

El Pocho Lavezzi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by El Pocho Lavezzi »

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has revealed Paolo Maldini's No3 shirt won't be made available after his retirement until one of his sons is ready to inherit it.
"There is a novelty here though," said Galliani. "The shirt will be reserved until his son Cristian or any other children of Paolo's manage to play in Serie A with Milan."

Cristian is already a starlet in the Rossoneri's youth system at the age of nine.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Maldini

Post by ozzie owl »

Maldini greatest defender of the modern era.

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

geez this kid is gonna have to deal with some huge expectations.

Madrista
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Madrista »

I didn't say Maldini wasnt a great defender, but IMO Hierro was classier.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Maldini was the epitome of class and coolness. Hierro was good, but Maldini is one of a kind.

Madrista
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Madrista »

Maybe I am bias?

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

Madrista Posted: 29 May 2007 16:42 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not as good as Hierro! With all due respect.
Madrista Posted: 30 May 2007 11:35 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't say Maldini wasnt a great defender, but IMO Hierro was classier.
Your a clown mate. But i guess your entitled to your opinion.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

I jsut want to ask a question...

does anyone think John Terry is better than Paolo Maldini?

just a quesiton, it is my opinion no one ever is better than Maldini (he is the greatest), but some seem to think Rio is, or Hierro is, what about JT?