Rafa Must Solve Premiership Problems

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Rafa Must Solve Premiership Problems

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Despite the fact the Jose Mourinho's jibe at Liverpool was uncalled for and below the belt, the fact that Liverpool have not come even close to winning the Premirship under Rafa Benitez, remains.

It’s hard to criticise Liverpool at the moment as they prepare to take part in their second Champions League final in three years.

Prior to the so called “Rafalutionâ€￾ hitting Anfield, football fans worldwide would have laughed at the idea of Liverpool regaining their reputation in Europe - lost over 20 years ago. They have since muted those voices, but business remains very much unfinished.

So, why haven’t Liverpool been able to make any strides in breaking their seventeen year Premiership drought?

Rafael Benitez came to Liverpool three years ago with a glowing reputation, leading Valencia to two La Liga titles and a Uefa Cup. With this in mind, who could pass judgment on the renewed optimism for the red half of Merseyside?

However, the original optimism of the Liverpool faithful has turned into a barrage of unanswered questions, as keen football lovers have been left scratching their heads wondering what Rafa needs to do in order to come close to winning the Premiership.

Liverpool’s away record over the last three years has left a lot to be desired. Losing as many games away from home this season as the likes of Fulham, Reading and Manchester City and more than Everton, Tottenham and Aston Villa there is no wondering why Liverpool have been out of the title race since September.

Avoiding Defeat On The Road

Does Rafa try to avoid defeat first instead of trying to win away from home (the very tactic that yields results in Europe)? With an average of less than a goal a match away from home, there is enough evidence to condemn Rafa for deciding to field one striker for the majority of Liverpool's away matches.

It may be more than a coincidence that Liverpool have only won 21 of their last 57 matches away from home in the league. But for some great displays in front of the Kop, that would not even have been sufficient for a Champions League berth!

No Creative Lynch Pin

Under Rafa’s reign, Liverpool have also struggled to convincingly record positive results against the lower teams of the Premier League. Could it be that Liverpool are missing a creative player with the ability to break down the ultra-defensive strategies employed by bottom teams in the league?

The “nine men behind the ballâ€￾ tactic employed by many teams, often leads to frustration for the Liverpool supporters. It has become obvious that the principal factor behind Liverpool’s inconsistency against ultra-defensive tactics is a key creative player, who can break down any defensive wall. He had an in form Pablo Aimar at his disposal at Valencia.

The likes of Chelsea and Manchester United have found games against smaller teams no more than a slight obstacle, with the likes of Arjen Robben, Joe Cole, Christiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs in their ranks.

Just like Scholes and Lampard are brilliant but still need those players, so does Gerrard. He offers a major driving force going forward; however to an extent isn’t that creativive genius teams need. Alonso also likes to dictate the game from way too deep and Luis Garcia (currently injured) seems to only be a temporary fix as he continues to lose possession way too often.

Rafa himself is aware of the problem, and has tried to bring in the likes of Daniel Alves and Simao, two world class creative wingers (Alves is pretty much a winger) who would potentially help bring an extra dimension to Liverpool’s game. However on both occasions was priced out of a potential deal. Zenden, Mark Gonzalez and Pennant don't cut it.

Lack Of Funds

Can Rafa therefore blame the lack of transfer funds made available by the Liverpool board? Much has been made of the takeover of Chelsea and Manchester United in recent years. Abramovich has spent over $700million in four years on big name players, whilst Glazer’s takeover has allowed Manchester United to indulge in a mammoth move for Michael Carrick. Before that, the likes of Rooney, Ferdinand, Saha, Evra, Alan Smith and Ronaldo had been purchased for close to $200 million, even if averaged intelligently over five years.

Rafael Benitez hasn’t, however, had this luxury in the transfer market as he tries to strengthen his squad with the limited amount of money made available to him. Purchases such as Gonzalez, Bellamy and Aurelio have left the Reds in danger of falling further behind the top two. The recent takeover of George Gillett and Tom Hicks should put an end to Rafa continuing his trend of purchasing what many describe as mid-range targets.

With the quality that Liverpool have at the moment and the likelihood of a number of world class signings in the summer, the possibilities for Liverpool are endless. The platform has been laid for Rafa to finally show his class and take the Premier League by storm. And he must, or he will quickly run out of excuses!

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

liverpool will win the title nxt year if they get eto'o or silva like people are saying they will

maybe one more defender and they will be a serious threat

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

Forza Roma wrote:liverpool will win the title nxt year if they get eto'o or silva like people are saying they will

big call. i dont think they are capable of improving so drastically.

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

It wouldnt be that drastic. They finished 3rd didnt they? They are up around the mark and if they can transfer their Champions league success to EPL it is possible. I think it would be great to see another team up there to contend with Man Utd and Chelsea for the title. Keeps things interesting.

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

zola wrote:It wouldnt be that drastic. They finished 3rd didnt they? They are up around the mark and if they can transfer their Champions league success to EPL it is possible. I think it would be great to see another team up there to contend with Man Utd and Chelsea for the title. Keeps things interesting.
yeh third but a truck load of points behind so it would take a drastic improvement for them to contend but thats not to say it isnt beyond them

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Liverpool have done well, but not having the extra two or three world players has cost them and I think it proves that Rafa has not been successful at the high end of the transfer market. I also think his reliance on Spanish based players is a downfall. Most of his signings have not lived up to expectation or just flopped. If he doesn't get right in this transfer market you must question his methods... I'm not even saying if he does get it rigth Pool will win the title, Im just saying some signings that prove their worth would be exciting in itself (obviously Kuyt, Garcia, Alonso, Agger, Arbeloa and Mascherano are exceptions).

Either way I will already go on as record saying the title next season will be a 2 horse race yet again with Chelki and ManUSA.

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

getborn wrote:
Forza Roma wrote:liverpool will win the title nxt year if they get eto'o or silva like people are saying they will

i agree with wot ur saying but look at Man Utd they have improved drastically over 1 yr

arsenal and liverpool i think could be the top 2 clubs nxt yr

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

Rigoni 10 wrote:
getborn wrote:

i agree with wot ur saying but look at Man Utd they have improved drastically over 1 yr

just like you might get your end in next year.....not likely :D

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

manU4life wrote:
Rigoni 10 wrote:
getborn wrote:

just like you might get your end in next year.....not likely :D
:lol:

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

Rigoni 10 wrote:
getborn wrote:

i doubt that arsenal will be in contention. sorry rigoni.

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

getborn wrote:

i dun think they r capable of luring players like eto'o n silva

they need 2 make up 15 points 2 be in 2nd position... i think they will do a lil betta nxt yr, but i do see arsenal slipping a bit

Ray Parlour
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Ray Parlour »

write off arsenal at your peril..

on our day we are clearly the best in england...

injuries ruined our season...you forget this...

with a fit henry, van persie, gallas and walcott..

plus another years experience for eboue, toure, clichy, diaby, fabregas, adebayor... and maybe 1 class signing...we will compete..

as for liverpool...they will be up there with united..

my bold prediction for next year is for chelski to come off the rails and slip....we can only hope they go back to what they used to be...nobodies..
http://www.fastfootball.net - live football news & scores from around the world in one fast loading page

*NHS has announced that all sperm banks in Manchester & West London will close over the next few days as all the chardonnays will be in Moscow

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

zola wrote:
Rigoni 10 wrote:
getborn wrote:

i doubt that chelsea will be in contention. sorry zola.
sorry zola

this year we have been the best out of the top 4 when playing against each other

and i think our consistency will be awesome nxt yr which will help us win the title

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

Rigoni 10 wrote:
zola wrote:
Rigoni 10 wrote:
getborn wrote:

i doubt that chelsea will be in contention. sorry zola.
sorry zola

this year we have been the best out of the top 4 when playing against each other

and i think our consistency will be awesome nxt yr which will help us win the title
thats a big call...

u will finished second, garunteed..

the only reason man u will win it again

is because they are in hot form which will carry on next season....

cant wait to watch the start of the matches nxt year when chelsea lifting up the title is replaced with man u lifting up the title :roll: :roll:

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

i wont write off any of the big four but i still think it'll be chelsea and man utd to fight it out with arsenal a close 3rd

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

I agree with ManUSA4life... Liverpool will prolly even fall out of the top 4 next seasopn with Tottenham looking the goods, we'll still make the CL final again though!

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

LFTWNG11 wrote:I agree with ManUSA4life... Liverpool will prolly even fall out of the top 4 next seasopn with Tottenham looking the goods, we'll still make the CL final again though!
dont whether to laugh or cry

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

we may have finished quite a few points behind 1st/2nd, but they could've easily been made up if we had a quality striker. the number of times we've walked away with a point or nothing after completely dominating a game but not being able to find the back of the net after creating so many chances.

we need:
1 x 30 goal a season striker
1 x CB
1 x RW (penannt is good, but i don't want to see gerrard out there ever again)
1 or 2 x LW (zenden and speedy do not cut the mustard and i don't expect kewell to be fit for more than a month)

we're apparently signing another centre midfielder in Lucas Leiva as well.

someone will have to go, we'll have momo, gerrard, mascha, xabi, garcia, leiva.

i spose garcia will be used wide left, but he's not a winger's muscat
Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

**NERAZZURRI**
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by **NERAZZURRI** »

liverpool can be described as nothing but mediocre, they have probably 2 world class players in gerrard and carragher and the rest of their squad can only be classed as not bad. A team that classes and regulary plays arbeloa, garcia, pennant, gonzalez, zenden, bellamy and kuyt just to name a few cannot be a team that will even come close. Look at arsenal who basically put out their under 19 team for most of the season still finished equal on points with liverpool. Benitez is to blame. instead of signing 5 players worth 5 million every season and hoping they turn into superstars why doesnt he just sign 2 top class players, if he had done this over the years he has been coach there by now he could have had at least 7 really good players to accompany poor gerrard and carragher who keep having to watch little poofy players from spain come in to the team who are soft and have no fighting spirit. Benitez better start to fix things so the title race gets more interesting and so slowly arsenal will get edged to relegation, lets keep our fingers crossed

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

Liverpool will make a big signing this season .. and then ppl will said : We r going to win the title this season (just like when they signed cisse :lol: ) .. and at the end of the season they wioll contend with the 4th place :lol:

Madrista
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Madrista »

Liverpool won't sign anyone decent in the off-season excpet for some mid-range players from our reserve team. They are terrible and its a travesty they have made the CL Final. If Rafa was as good as everyone says he is, he would be coaching Real by now, but he's not because we didn't want him so bad.

zola
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by zola »

ur a travesty buddy

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

Madrista wrote:Liverpool won't sign anyone decent in the off-season excpet for some mid-range players from our reserve team. They are terrible and its a travesty they have made the CL Final. If Rafa was as good as everyone says he is, he would be coaching Real by now, but he's not because we didn't want him so bad.
has ronaldo07 changed to a Madrid supporter and learnt English?

I'll tell you what is a travesty, one of eyetaly's best coaches, one of eyetaly's best defenders, and one of eyetaly's quality strikers is wasting their time in the loony bin that is Real Madrid.

Madrista
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Madrista »

I agree, its a travesty we have so many Italians involved at our club, especially considering our style of football is more attractive and techinically superior to what Italians can offer. If Capello wins us the La Liga, I won't be so critical of him, although Cannavaro and Cassano have to go in the transfer window.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

ur an idiot

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

LFTWNG11 wrote:ur an idiot

Madrista
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Madrista »

You can't argue about football so you attack me personally. I know its hard to argue with a Madrista, because our club IS THE GREATEST CLUB IN THE WORLD, yes, even better than your Lazio and Juventus Italian scrubber teams. Our team will be even better when the scrubber Italians are forced out of the club.

P.S. I am not an idiot.

LFTWNG11
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by LFTWNG11 »

anyone who writes "P.S. I am not an idiot", is in fact an idiot

I hope you realise basically all your first European triumphs in the 50's were because you rigged the competition and rigged the market so you had a monopoly on the best players. Also I hope you realise if it wasnt for Capello and his eyetalian mates your club would still be chasing its own tale with Beckham on the right wing posing for photographers

Finally, dnt compare Lazio to Real Madrid, in terms of class, most teams in the world have more class than Real Madrid, so keep your trophies with the dirty fingerprints of Santiago Bernabeau

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Madrista wrote:You can't argue about football so you attack me personally. I know its hard to argue with a Madrista, because our club IS THE GREATEST CLUB IN THE WORLD, yes, even better than your Lazio and Juventus Italian scrubber teams. Our team will be even better when the scrubber Italians are forced out of the club.

P.S. I am not an idiot.
We've beaten you 3 out of the last 4 times we've played.

Madrista
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Madrista »

So what we have won 9 European Cups, how many has Juventus won. Sorry how many have Juventus, Inter and Lazio won all together? :lol: