Shortage of players?

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Shortage of players?

Post by English »

We are now into the cup competition and worryingly we’ve got some clubs still struggling to field two teams. Constantly seeing advertisements for players.

Are we seeing players drop off due to Covid? Is it due to the league allowing more clubs in, are we seeing the playing pool spread too thin or is there another reason?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Shortage of players?

Post by God is an Englishman »

Especially concerning when it's a club coming back to SAASL when they pulled out a few years ago due to a lack of players.

I say concerning, i meant hysterical.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

I know of one or two instances where clubs have dropped from First Team/Ressies to a single team and the other half of the squad has formed a new single team club.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I'm hearing MA Hawks likely to be dropping to a single team club. I think that means Gleeson would be promoted.

edenhazard
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by edenhazard »

huge if true, a div 1 club! wat happend?

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

So we’ve got rumours swirling around about MA Hawks, from what I’ve been told from their own players One Tree Hill is now down to one team. This leaves both Sat Div 1 (potentially) and Sat Div 2 with a 9 team competition.

Divs 3 & 4 start this week, with 8 and 6. If those two clubs have gone down to one team, is it really that hard to postpone games in Div 3 & 4 this week, move one up from 2 and 3 to make;

Div 1 - 10
Div 2 - 10
Div 3 - 12

Div 3 then moves from 21 week season to 22, but only playing everyone twice instead of the ridiculous 3 times.

Then if teams drop out of Div 3 throughout the season it’s not affecting relegation. Then the league can finally work out how they plan to tackle this moving forward, ideally letting us all in on the plan because this is a shambles.

Even if MA Hawks don’t pull out, they are struggling to fill a reserves team in pre season and I can’t see that getting any better.

You can’t tell me the league don’t have an idea this is happening, they’d be able to pull registration numbers from Play Football to gauge where clubs are at as well.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

A theory. A theory with no sources or back up.

MA Hawks will not field a reserves side this season but will not tell the league until the last possible moment in the hope that the league will decide it's too late and let them play as a one team side still in Div 1.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

Surely there should be a cut off date where you need to be able to prove you can field a reserve side in trial games or the league makes the decision for you to be flicked to the lower leagues.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

One Tree Hill down to one team, Division 2 has a bye for As and Bs.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Compulsory reserves in amateur footie, what’s the point? Get rid of reserves, clubs can have one or more teams as they are able. 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. only rule is a team can’t be promoted to same division as another of their club. Keeps the league depth & pyramid system relevant and gives clubs room to grow.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:50 pm Compulsory reserves in amateur footie, what’s the point? Get rid of reserves, clubs can have one or more teams as they are able. 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. only rule is a team can’t be promoted to same division as another of their club. Keeps the league depth & pyramid system relevant and gives clubs room to grow.

That's how it is in England and it works well.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

God is an Englishman wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:20 pm
N5 1BH wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:50 pm Compulsory reserves in amateur footie, what’s the point? Get rid of reserves, clubs can have one or more teams as they are able. 1st, 2nd 3rd etc. only rule is a team can’t be promoted to same division as another of their club. Keeps the league depth & pyramid system relevant and gives clubs room to grow.

Its how it’s always been, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it it. Even Essex Senior League, which ( in my opinion) is a much better standard than State League 1, you only need a first team. Something a bit different, I watched my nephew play in Harlow where they had 4 or 5 firsts divisions to one reserves division for those clubs that had them.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:53 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:20 pm

Its how it’s always been, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it it. Even Essex Senior League, which ( in my opinion) is a much better standard than State League 1, you only need a first team. Something a bit different, I watched my nephew play in Harlow where they had 4 or 5 firsts divisions to one reserves division for those clubs that had them.
Essex Senior is far superior to SL1.