Over 35's Friday v Sunday Debacle

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

On The Pine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Over 35's Friday v Sunday Debacle

Post by On The Pine »

In typical SAASL fashion there has been a lack of clarity surrounding the proposed move to Friday nights for the O/35 competition.

It seems with the proposal a lot of clubs have jumped on and entered a team. After the fixtures dropped today there are a number of clubs that are supposedly not happy that (despite expressing interest in Friday's) they have ended up in the Sunday league.

For those clubs with O/35's, what was your preference Friday or Sunday?

On The Pine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Over 35's Friday v Sunday Debacle

Post by On The Pine »

Fixtures and teams for both Friday and Sunday have now been pulled from the website.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

im going to sit on the pine on this question for now,.

On The Pine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by On The Pine »

BeNatural wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:47 am im going to sit on the pine on this question for now,.
Haha, 350 views for no comment- seems you are not the only one.

Sounds like this one is getting ugly. The silence is pretty deafening.

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

My news is that 15 clubs have registered for over 35's this year with the increase in numbers being due to the possibility of Friday nights rather than Sundays.

League had been looking to split it into 2 competitions and accidently released a draft fixture list, of the teams that had fixtures on Sundays 3-4 of the teams advised that they only wanted to play Friday nights.

From what I am hearing league will likely now have 1 35's comp with all 15 teams and the nominated home team will determine if the game is played Sunday or Friday.

I am an advocate for 35'sbeing on a Friday night rather than Sunday. For starters the extra rest before having to go to work on a Monday is a big plus, it allows those coaching or watching/coaching their kids on the weekend an avenue to still be able to play and on Fridays can enjoy a beer after the game with the players from the other team rather than everyone rushing off to watch their first teams/reserves play.

Hope league goes with the majority on this and sees fit to only run a Friday comp if they can't get the numbers for a Sunday comp but given one of the teams who only wants to play on Sunday is closely associated with a league official can't see this happening.

Will this turn into a farce where games are getting called off due to lack of numbers available for teams that only want Fridays having to show up on a Sunday or vice versa?

All heresay I guess until league makes an official announcement. Hopefully all will be revealed soon

pecker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by pecker »

If they do have one league with some Sunday games we would and probably other clubs forfeit those Sunday games as we have had a few players that are playing based on it being Friday nights. So I cant see that being good for those Sunday home game teams, they might only play half a season. I have heard there is something coming out next week to all clubs regarding the season set up.

On The Pine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by On The Pine »

pecker wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:00 am If they do have one league with some Sunday games we would and probably other clubs forfeit those Sunday games as we have had a few players that are playing based on it being Friday nights. So I cant see that being good for those Sunday home game teams, they might only play half a season. I have heard there is something coming out next week to all clubs regarding the season set up.
Cheers for the update mate. I look forward to (hopefully) getting a decision either way this week.

I agree that I don't think asking Friday teams to potentially play Sunday and vice-versa is sustainable. The deeper the season goes the harder it gets to find numbers as it is (as injuries bite etc.).

On The Pine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by On The Pine »

4-4-2 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:36 am My news is that 15 clubs have registered for over 35's this year with the increase in numbers being due to the possibility of Friday nights rather than Sundays.

League had been looking to split it into 2 competitions and accidently released a draft fixture list, of the teams that had fixtures on Sundays 3-4 of the teams advised that they only wanted to play Friday nights.

From what I am hearing league will likely now have 1 35's comp with all 15 teams and the nominated home team will determine if the game is played Sunday or Friday.

I am an advocate for 35'sbeing on a Friday night rather than Sunday. For starters the extra rest before having to go to work on a Monday is a big plus, it allows those coaching or watching/coaching their kids on the weekend an avenue to still be able to play and on Fridays can enjoy a beer after the game with the players from the other team rather than everyone rushing off to watch their first teams/reserves play.

Hope league goes with the majority on this and sees fit to only run a Friday comp if they can't get the numbers for a Sunday comp but given one of the teams who only wants to play on Sunday is closely associated with a league official can't see this happening.

Will this turn into a farce where games are getting called off due to lack of numbers available for teams that only want Fridays having to show up on a Sunday or vice versa?

All heresay I guess until league makes an official announcement. Hopefully all will be revealed soon
Thanks for the great response mate. My mail is similar- I've heard only three of the named Sunday teams not wanting to/not being able to play Friday, with the rest pretty quickly moving to maintain they only want to play Friday.

I think in another world (if the three leftover clubs weren't three of the biggest in the land) the league would have just added them to a Sunday C's comp (whether they liked it or not) and then moved on. It'll be interesting to see how this lands, but hopefully they make a decision soon either way soon so people can stop putting the rest of their lives on hold.

Redflag1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Redflag1 »

So how is the Friday night move going?

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Good i would say..

The league just need to clarify their stance on players playing Friday night, then backing it up again for their club on Saturday/Sunday
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Same as a player playing reserves then seniors I would think?

Barnesy Wore 10
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Barnesy Wore 10 »

haywood djablowme wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:17 am Good i would say..

The league just need to clarify their stance on players playing Friday night, then backing it up again for their club on Saturday/Sunday
Don't think there is an issue at all. In fact, kudos to an over 35 that can back up within a 5 day period :smile:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Completely agree. If you Play Friday night you shouldn't be able to play higher than C's that week.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

God is an Englishman wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:11 pm

Completely agree. If you Play Friday night you shouldn't be able to play higher than C's that week.
That makes no sense GAE, it’s like saying if you play ressies you can’t then play seniors.
I agree if you play seniors on a sat/sun you shouldn’t play a lower grade, 35’s, on a Monday.
We’ve only had one example this season of this anyway so it’s not really an issue, I thought you’d be happy with the team we put out on Friday GAE anyway :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:01 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:11 pm

That makes no sense GAE, it’s like saying if you play ressies you can’t then play seniors.
I agree if you play seniors on a sat/sun you shouldn’t play a lower grade, 35’s, on a Monday.
We’ve only had one example this season of this anyway so it’s not really an issue, I thought you’d be happy with the team we put out on Friday GAE anyway :lol:
Very different, due to the nature of why Over 35's exists.

However, the rules are there and I don't blame any team who plays such people. I used to play both days when I was able to.

MJAFC
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MJAFC »

Just update your results ASAP after the game for all to see , it’s really not that hard !!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MJAFC wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:39 am Just update your results ASAP after the game for all to see , it’s really not that hard !!
I'd rather go to the bar ASAP. Far more important.

MJAFC
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MJAFC »

God is an Englishman wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:51 am [quote=MJAFC post_id=<a href="tel:1585114">1585114</a> time=<a href="tel:1622214547">1622214547</a> user_id=27158]
Just update your results ASAP after the game for all to see , it’s really not that hard !!
I'd rather go to the bar ASAP. Far more important.
[/quote]

Wouldn’t expect anything different, can still up date your result from the bar , some games don’t get added for days

MJAFC
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MJAFC »

Post your results

MJAFC
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by MJAFC »

Post your results