Season 2020

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Season 2020

Post by Knightsmulti »

POLONIAROCS wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:26 pm
redfred wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm with FFSA press release today Community football can start June 19 that gives an extra 2 weeks. If this allows for a 16 week rather than 14 week then only 2 midweek catch up games are required. Surely a real season can be had.

Heard today of a non competitive season without promotion etc.

This would be a farce surely.

Who's going to Pt Pirie for a kick around?

womens, juniors, collegiate etc could play competitive Real football and SAASL a season of friendlies.
Heard that SAASL might divide the city into 3 zones and just play a non competitive season. You play teams in your zone only.

Collegiate looking at kicking off on Sat 20th June.
That’s the strong rumour which In my opinion would be a total disaster - the Templin Cup was great for a few years but apart from up North has run its course.

Can’t believe there has been zero consultation with clubs

Der kaiser
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Der kaiser »

I think the proposed cup/conference system is a sensible way to play some football in a hugely disrupted year. It strikes the right balance between being practical, achievable with the constraints and engaginf for players. It also reduces risk of spreading virus if there is a second wave in mid winter by putting clubs into location based conferences.

The league did consult with all clubs I believe via video conference several weeks ago and sent out a survey before that to gauge opinions. It was always going to be less than ideal to play less than 18 games h&a. This at least is something...5 wks ago we probably all thought there would be no football at all this year.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Der kaiser wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 am I think the proposed cup/conference system is a sensible way to play some football in a hugely disrupted year. It strikes the right balance between being practical, achievable with the constraints and engaginf for players. It also reduces risk of spreading virus if there is a second wave in mid winter by putting clubs into location based conferences.

The league did consult with all clubs I believe via video conference several weeks ago and sent out a survey before that to gauge opinions. It was always going to be less than ideal to play less than 18 games h&a. This at least is something...5 wks ago we probably all thought there would be no football at all this year.
To be concise. The new format is a load of bollocks.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Like everyone I’d like a full home & away season but I’m glad I’m glad they’ve gone down this path rather than a hybrid league season & awarding the league trophy.

At least competing football will be back & we haven’t wasted a preseason.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

+1

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

Der kaiser wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 am I think the proposed cup/conference system is a sensible way to play some football in a hugely disrupted year. It strikes the right balance between being practical, achievable with the constraints and engaginf for players. It also reduces risk of spreading virus if there is a second wave in mid winter by putting clubs into location based conferences.

It is what it is, however they didn’t consult re the format - in fact a number of clubs strongly proposed a promotion and relegation format - however they didn’t discuss formats - the survey was around Ground availability only

GOMER PYLE
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GOMER PYLE »

Preseason was a massive waste because what you would have achieved in preseason is long gone !!

stobbo
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by stobbo »

The zoom meeting was not a consultation process. It was an update of the restrictions and its timelines and a discussion of options for the season ahead.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

GOMER PYLE wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 pm Preseason was a massive waste because what you would have achieved in preseason is long gone !!
Depends what you did during preseason, if all you did was running then yes it probably is.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

It’s disappointing that it’s been handled the way it has been.

But the decision had been made and it’s time to move on.
It's all in the Delivery!

pecker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by pecker »

stobbo wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:43 pm

The zoom meeting was not a consultation process. It was an update of the restrictions and its timelines and a discussion of options for the season ahead.
Never was asked what we would prefer during any Zoom meeting, the survey was simply a survey, it's what you are thinking at the time, when the survey was done we were in isolation with the worry of a serious outbreak, that hasn't eventuated and now the way SA has prevented it becoming like the eastern states has changed our views. The way Steph and George have handled the COVID 19 drama has been excellent, but I think having a season with no points is a tough one to contemplate for a club, restrictions on how many people might be able to be in your club which in turn affects revenue, crowd numbers will be down which hurt canteens sales and volunteers might be hard to find, but if the players want to play then we play, it might just be very hard to get motivated to spend over 40 hours a week for a season that seems fruitless.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

redfred wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm
....looks like the Downs are!

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

Old Redback wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:54 pm
redfred wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm
....looks like the Downs are!
To be fair, its a great set-up very hospitable, really good ground

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Driving to Port Pirie now is better than having to drive from Elizabeth to Noarlunga and Seaford on the old South Road days

GOMER PYLE
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GOMER PYLE »

Surely the SAASL would be paying for a bus like the FFSA does !!

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

GOMER PYLE wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:57 pm Surely the SAASL would be paying for a bus like the FFSA does !!
Would there be restrictions on how many on the bus??
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

LRO
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LRO »

So a few days on from the announcement of NO TRIAL GAMES - if so would be 10 V 10 - and refs can’t sanction games (info that should have been known and communicated when the season changes were released) what are the thoughts now? The way I understand it is we will just go into the season template with no trial games or practice games - I’m sorry but as much as we all want to play there seems to be more and more restrictions and unknown. Without getting political there was a 6000 person gathering in town yesterday - but we can’t even have a shower after training yet? Will there be Football/Soccer this year?