Season 2020

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Season 2020

Post by Knightsmulti »

Hugego21 wrote:Would it be worth just starting the season from where it would have been.

Say we start back on June 14 round 8

Lose the cup competition and that gives us 3 rounds prior to league season end.

If we add on the next two weeks for semi and cup final

We could include 2 more league rounds

Effectively start June 14th (assuming that’s the restart date) with round 3 and make rounds 1 and 2 forfeit - just the luck of the draw of first two rounds who doesn’t play who’s leagues were drafted prior to stopping.

Then we can have a serious competition with promotion and relegation.

Definitely my preferred option, even if we are allowed to train again from May 31st, I can't see us squeezing in 18 rounds this year even without Cup. But playing for a COVID shield etc will not motivate enough. Yes as someone said we might have huge numbers out initially but a few weeks in cold weather nothing to play for - see you next year. If we have a comp must have points and promotion and relegation, even if only 1 up 1 down. Most higher leagues have a stand out relegation team and a stand out winner
Any adhoc competition brings with it a lack of interest from all parties and opens itself up to cheating unless the league puts in place harsh penalties ie loss of points for season 2021 and heavy fines for those that do.

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

If we could play some mid-week games to catch-up i'd still like to play an 18-game season
Scrap the cup for this year and use those weekends for league games as well

Issue for mid-week games and pitch availability (as well as quality lights)
issue for later in the season will be availability of grounds if season runs into October and cricket takes over some ovals
Cricket shouldn't stop the season but it may cost teams some important home games in the run home
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

N5 1BH wrote:Being a football family and all in these extraordinary times, the ffsa should generously donate their plastic pitches and other facilities for use for clubs that will lose their grounds to cricket & athletics. Can fit a good number of games per day on plastic.

i'm sure modbury, modbury vista,metro stars, cumberland, port adelaide, adelaide city,seaford,southadelaide would love to have the extra bar takings from midweek amateur games
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

redfred wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:52 pm
N5 1BH wrote:Being a football family and all in these extraordinary times, the ffsa should generously donate their plastic pitches and other facilities for use for clubs that will lose their grounds to cricket & athletics. Can fit a good number of games per day on plastic.
i'm sure modbury, modbury vista,metro stars, cumberland, port adelaide, adelaide city,seaford,southadelaide would love to have the extra bar takings from midweek amateur games
They'd probably be using these pitches for their own games and junior training.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

If a full season can't be completed then it has to be equitable.

Imagine being relegated because you had to play Downs and Brahma twice and the team in 8th only played them once.

Either a half season, or split the division in half at round 9 and then only play the teams in your half. That could mean it would only need a 14 round season.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

4 more games and you have a full season anyway, just give cup rounds the flick for one year
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

4 more games and you have a full season anyway, just give cup rounds the flick for one year
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Ignore this signature

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

If they are saying the AFL will return on June 21st then surely we can start then?
Have a zoom meeting tomorrow night with SAASL - hoping for some firm direction

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

How did the meeting go tonight? Any updates on what the plans are for moving forward?

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

1) Very strict (and rightly so) on return to train, all the logistics around that, need to sign declaration
2) At this stage contact training to commence on or after June 8th
3) Season to commence weekend of June 27th
4) Unfortunately season to be completed by end of September so 13-14 game season
5) No cup
6) Will finalise format this week and send to clubs next week
7) Still looking at promotion and relegation but didn't commit

Someone previously made the suggestion, however if you play 9 rounds, then divide into top half and bottom half, another 4 games makes sense - so hopefully points, promotion, relegation and Championships still will happen

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Did they discuss midweek games?

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

totsreds08 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 am Did they discuss midweek games?
Yes, unfortunately not possible, due to a range of issues including ground sharing, rural teams, like Port Pirie and Murraybridge etc

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

The association need to start being creative, to allow an 18 game season to be completed. Yep no cup - agree! However, let's take Sunday Div 1 for example. You have PHE, Vale, Gardens, Ghan and West Beach?? who have cricket at their complex. Now, why can't the league structure the fixture list so these clubs play their 9 home fixtures say in the first 10-12 rds with an understanding they will need to finish the season with their remaining fixtures away from home. I'm not aware of the lower grades set up, however they could follow suit if it can be accomadated. Thoughts??

I agree with previous comments, either go ahead with 18 game season, or just put it to bed this year returning next
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

haywood djablowme wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:17 pm The association need to start being creative, to allow an 18 game season to be completed. Yep no cup - agree! However, let's take Sunday Div 1 for example. You have PHE, Vale, Gardens, Ghan and West Beach?? who have cricket at their complex. Now, why can't the league structure the fixture list so these clubs play their 9 home fixtures say in the first 10-12 rds with an understanding they will need to finish the season with their remaining fixtures away from home. I'm not aware of the lower grades set up, however they could follow suit if it can be accomadated. Thoughts??

I agree with previous comments, either go ahead with 18 game season, or just put it to bed this year returning next
Sadly if you shelve this year, many will just quit and I can see a number of teams folding, they rely on player regos to stay afloat
An 18 game season is the preferred option for everyone, however a 14 game competitive season after all we have been through can work. A non competitive season would be the same as no season - who's travelling to Port Pirie in a cold wet winter weekend for 0 points?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

haywood djablowme wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:17 pm The association need to start being creative, to allow an 18 game season to be completed. Yep no cup - agree! However, let's take Sunday Div 1 for example. You have PHE, Vale, Gardens, Ghan and West Beach?? who have cricket at their complex. Now, why can't the league structure the fixture list so these clubs play their 9 home fixtures say in the first 10-12 rds with an understanding they will need to finish the season with their remaining fixtures away from home. I'm not aware of the lower grades set up, however they could follow suit if it can be accomadated. Thoughts??

Agree with this, NPL has done it with teams having new pitches laid over the years, if it means a full season then make it happen.

Mejor entrenador
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Mejor entrenador »

paul merson wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 am

Agree with this, NPL has done it with teams having new pitches laid over the years, if it means a full season then make it happen.
It sounds great in theory. But as it was said the other night, More than half of the Clubs lose their ground at end of September and some a couple of weeks earlier.

From June 27/28 (the intended start date) for Round 1 until the end of September (26/27) which was said to be the end date, it is 14 weeks.

So, to add another 4 weeks to make 18 rounds the end date will be October 24/25. More than 50% of clubs will not have a ground to play matches at.

So ok as people suggested above, they play the last 4 matches away after having played their 9 home games already. That might work.

BUT!!! Have you considered that for the last 4 weeks (and for some maybe 6 weeks) where are these clubs going to train???

Is that fair on these clubs to play a season with champions/promotion or relegation on the table and they cant prepare for matches where the clubs who have access to grounds do have training facilities and are better prepared. An example in the Premier Division on Sunday - PHE & West Beach would be at a massive disadvantage losing their ground for the run home and considering both were promoted teams they would be wanting to ensure a level playing field.

Add this to equation, asking an Amateur player who may train 2 nights a week, some clubs only train 1. To then play 18 games straight without a break on a very limited pre-season where currently the return to training restrictions set for the sport by SA Health dont allow for contact training (tackling).

If we are lucky and restrictions are lifted again June 8 (as proposed by Govt at this stage - this may change, as things change daily) it would only leave clubs 2 weeks (June 13/14 & 20/21) to play trial games to get players at the very least exposed to some sort of match fitness. Also need to factor in Player welfare - fitness, fatigue, injuries etc...

I don’t agree with comments of if cant go ahead with 18 game season or if no promotion/relegation then there is no point in playing. For me, I just hope we get back to playing again in any type of competition. Whether we play in a league or cup style format makes no different, I just want to be out and about with the lads. Bored doing nothing!

From what has been said by some, they may not be coming back with the initial number of teams they initially suggested at the start fo the season because of the virus. This may have an affect on divisions and the number of teams in it.

The league has mentioned that they have models ready for the season and will be releasing next week, so lets wait and see what they come up with.

Whatever they come up with as long as it is equitable and gives all clubs something to play for, I dont think people really should complain. Im in it because I love the game.

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

It's important to see what clubs are thinking. Having come across from the UK, I've always admired how 'professional' the Amateur League was, but sometimes this can become elitist. I've played for Taxi Teams and Pub teams and you turn up and play often twice a week and in conditions that quite simply don't happen in Australia. Needing weeks of pre-season (above the fact we can train for a month before June 8th - albeit no contact) and a week off during the season, really? As mentioned previously if they don't have Promotion and Relegation and simply have a shield or something for Division winners I'd say congratulations to Port Pirie Division 2 Shield winners 2020, as I can't see many teams fielding full squads for basically a 3 hour drive for a friendly.
It seems certain like it will be a,13- 14 game season , I can't see the issue with one full round (generally 9 games) and divide into top half and bottom half for the next 4 games. Would get a fair winner and loser competition is 'real' and worth playing for

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

I think any opportunity to return to playing must be taken even if at a reduced number of games per season. However, if a full home and away fixture list cannot be completed then I think promotion/relegation needs to be reduced to 1 team with a playoff between top 2 teams for promotion and bottom 2 teams for relegation. I would also like to see the league support clubs and players by dipping into the bank balance and not charging any fees if a full season cannot be completed. There has been a lot of debate of how to use this money evenly over the years and this could be a good opportunity to give back to clubs/players whilst still leaving a decent amount left over in the leagues account.

Farpost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Farpost »

Subject to not having a second wave, whatever happens this season will certainly be treated as a one-off. To maintain reasonable fairness, I suggest initial prelim phase over 9 rounds i.e. play each other once. In Premier leagues, top four then play off to decide the year's champion. Bottom two and top two from lower division play off to decide relegation promotion. Middle four sides play off to decide that division's most boring team. The respective Sat and Sun Premier leagues' most boring teams can then play off next pre-season as a curtain raiser to the Cichinowski Cup to determine the undisputed most boring team title. You know it makes sense.....

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

Farpost wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:52 pm Subject to not having a second wave, whatever happens this season will certainly be treated as a one-off. To maintain reasonable fairness, I suggest initial prelim phase over 9 rounds i.e. play each other once. In Premier leagues, top four then play off to decide the year's champion. Bottom two and top two from lower division play off to decide relegation promotion. Middle four sides play off to decide that division's most boring team. The respective Sat and Sun Premier leagues' most boring teams can then play off next pre-season as a curtain raiser to the Cichinowski Cup to determine the undisputed most boring team title. You know it makes sense.....
Yes it does

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Mejor, due to ground sharing arrangements, protecting the pitch & a bit of choice, we only train once per week, we cant use our pitch until round 1 so Preseason every year needs to be away from the club, you can always make do.

Metro did preseason at West Beach whilst their pitch was being laid, played all away games to start the season which thankfully other clubs accommodated, but you can make do.

As for the disrupted preseason, were all in the same boat, some players will come back in good shape and others wont, that's a choice, 6 weeks of preseason is fine for those that have looked after themselves.

I do agree we need to do what ever we can to start playing again as I think were all over having no football, trying to get creative & ensure these non contact sessions have purpose is a lot of work, but I think we need to do every thing we can to facilitate a full season (with no cup games).

Just a view of how I look at it.

leo64
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by leo64 »

Love to see div 1 playing each other.
Div 2 and 3 playing each other round robin games. This would see where teams sit and are competitive. As some teams I reckon are dropping out. Should only be div 1,2,3 max.
See what happens

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Some of the issues to consider for shortened format will be..
a. Loss of income generating ability to cover facility usage, lighting costs, coaches-physio, referee costs.
b. many Sponsors suffering loss of income due to ability to generate income
c. registration costs for half the amount of a season
d. possibly loss of 'Club atmosphere' due to lingering restrictions
e. balancing Club futures on a shortened format.
f. limited opportunity for catch up games (due to weather)

on the pro side of the argument for shortened format.
a. assisting with community mental health an physical health through participation
b. maintaining player group interest
c. lowered but at least some income generation
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

swannsong wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:47 pm Some of the issues to consider for shortened format will be..
a. Loss of income generating ability to cover facility usage, lighting costs, coaches-physio, referee costs.
b. many Sponsors suffering loss of income due to ability to generate income
c. registration costs for half the amount of a season
d. possibly loss of 'Club atmosphere' due to lingering restrictions
e. balancing Club futures on a shortened format.
f. limited opportunity for catch up games (due to weather)

on the pro side of the argument for shortened format.
a. assisting with community mental health an physical health through participation
b. maintaining player group interest
c. lowered but at least some income generation
Agreed - equally you could use a similar argument for a 'real season' with Championships, relegation and promotion. Even in a shortened format it would generate far more interest, money, sponsorship etc.

A friendly season would be ok for a few weeks, but coaches don't get paid, no-one comes to watch, no-one stays behind - need some leadership from the SAASL

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

N5 1BH wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:42 pm Being a football family and all in these extraordinary times, the ffsa should generously donate their plastic pitches and other facilities for use for clubs that will lose their grounds to cricket & athletics. Can fit a good number of games per day on plastic.
Very good point, N5 1BH. Those plastics can take 50 hours a week traffic, compared to 5 hours a week for mud ‘n’ grass ones.

Time for the SAASL and their Clubs to dust off their negotiation skills.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

with FFSA press release today Community football can start June 19 that gives an extra 2 weeks. If this allows for a 16 week rather than 14 week then only 2 midweek catch up games are required. Surely a real season can be had.

Heard today of a non competitive season without promotion etc.

This would be a farce surely.

Who's going to Pt Pirie for a kick around?

womens, juniors, collegiate etc could play competitive Real football and SAASL a season of friendlies.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

Can’t agree more must be a competitive season even if we can’t fit 18 games in - for teams like Port Pirie rather than midweek they could have 2 - 6 point games drawn randomly - 1 home, 1 away so for example we could play them in Pirie for 6 points and they could play Raptors away for 6 points if you think outside the square it’s very possible to revive this season

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

Another solution for Pt Pirie as I understand one of the main issues is that they cant play midweek.

Do the mid-week round (either 1 or 2) and Pt Piries fixture can be delayed until the end of the season. Then if that game will have a material impact of promotion/relegation then the game gets played a week after the season.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

redfred wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm with FFSA press release today Community football can start June 19 that gives an extra 2 weeks. If this allows for a 16 week rather than 14 week then only 2 midweek catch up games are required. Surely a real season can be had.

Heard today of a non competitive season without promotion etc.

This would be a farce surely.

Who's going to Pt Pirie for a kick around?

womens, juniors, collegiate etc could play competitive Real football and SAASL a season of friendlies.
Heard that SAASL might divide the city into 3 zones and just play a non competitive season. You play teams in your zone only.

Collegiate looking at kicking off on Sat 20th June.