Dark Day for Vista

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Dark Day for Vista

Post by Old Redback »

chunky-monkey wrote: The Vista amateurs of a couple years ago were hands down a better side than the SL2 team. Considering when they started it was made up of quite a few ex amateur C team lads.
Not all of that is entirely accurate.

We are talking about the Vista amateur team that got relegated despite paying wages when the SL2 team players played for free? In addition I can think of 5 starting players in the SL2 first team that season that did not come from the amateurs but in fact started the season as Under 18s.

Mistake was made by the club in not keeping these lads together and investing in the future of the club and instead of listening to the main playing group - whom I can assure you were not particularly well supported by the committee as a whole - they effectively lost a year before getting Moggy in to do what they should have helped to do 12-18 months previously.

It is a shame that a great stalwart of the Amateur League has fallen off but surely it has not come as a surprise that the club has developed in this way?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

POLONIAROCS wrote:
swannsong wrote:
Dave from Number 12 wrote:they are not dead in fact they have gone up in the stakes by going feds so good for them.
This is the Amateur League forum, what teams (1st, Reserves, Cs Over 35s) will Vista have in the SAASL Amateur Leagues this year....they already had the Fed teams last year.
Amateur league forum. Not SAASL forum. But if it is a SAASL forum then get them to change the name.
South Australian AMATEUR soccer LEAGUE, the clue is in the name.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

chunky-monkey wrote:They were well and truly beaten by a very poor Uni SA side Friday. The Vista amateurs of a couple years ago were hands down a better side than the SL2 team. Considering when they started it was made up of quite a few ex amateur C team lads.
Well and truly beaten - 2-2 with 15 to go and Uni SA keeper would have got MOM.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:As for Vista, if I was in their shoes I'd be hanging on to the over 35s at least, one thing that many NPL clubs struggle with is having past players remain at the club as they dont have a social football outlet, these guys are the ones that help build the club culture, the guys that spend 10+ years at a club.
The 35's were disbanded last year

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Div 1 Amateurs should just become SL3 and have promotion and relegation through all the divisions. Can't happen though until SAASL come fully on board with FFSA, which I for one hope never happens.

I have a lot more faith in SAASL to run anything than I do the FFSA.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

God is an Englishman wrote:Div 1 Amateurs should just become SL3 and have promotion and relegation through all the divisions. Can't happen though until SAASL come fully on board with FFSA, which I for one hope never happens.

Sunday Div 1 Amateurs are a far better standard than SL2 and given what I have seen up to now most of SL1

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Redback wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Div 1 Amateurs should just become SL3 and have promotion and relegation through all the divisions. Can't happen though until SAASL come fully on board with FFSA, which I for one hope never happens.

Sunday Div 1 Amateurs are a far better standard than SL2 and given what I have seen up to now most of SL1
Won't take long for them all to get promoted then.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

There is one reason there will be a SL3.
MONEY.

Mr Carter would be hoping to continually entice clubs across until they have hold of everything.

With the success of SAASL teams that have gone across to FFSA i would think given the opportunity their would be more clubs in the future keen especially as the rules in regards to fencing have relaxed.

The 2 Uni teams didn't require U18s in their first year so that would help with the transition.

There will always be SAASL but i can see more teams given the coin the FFSA could potentially make going across with seniors and juniors. Some of these clubs already have womens in the ffsa.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Wont happen mate.. too many div 1 amateur teams wouldnt pass the salary cap restrictions!
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Old Redback wrote:

Here we go again...that's because they pay more than probably the entire SL2 division combined, and are also full of former NPL players looking for an easy payday...who wouldn't want to train half the load and earn twice the money!

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

haven't Salisbury taken a who's who of sunday div 1?

Hows that going?
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
Old Redback wrote:

Here we go again...that's because they pay more than probably the entire SL2 division combined, and are also full of former NPL players looking for an easy payday...who wouldn't want to train half the load and earn twice the money!
I have found the Div 1 Sunday league not as good as it has been portraited to be besides the top 3 teams the other teams are fairly average and the overall standard of the referees/linesman is something to behold.