2018 League Champions

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

sirstevieg
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: 2018 League Champions

Post by sirstevieg »

Modbury Old Boys have a lot to answer for IMO they played a Fed player against us where not til after found out he played for Pirie all season in the FEDS he was a standout in the 35's scored all 3 goals.....their referee had some cheek also on the day then find out he allows them to do this. :evil:

Can't see what Gardens have done wrong though good on them for flogging the cheats 13-0....result should stand if this is what has actually occurred here!
We are Liverpool Football Club and the expectations are so high.
Steven Gerrard

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

IS Modbury Old Boys Hawkesys team?

Why would you need to cheat when you have the Comets legend in your ranks
It's all in the Delivery!

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Brian the Postman wrote:IS Modbury Old Boys Hawkesys team?
I don't think he even played this season.

Farpost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Farpost »

I suspect there would not be too many o/35 teams that remained 100% squeaky clean Re: the full letter of the law on player eligibility. It is primarily a social league, and provided any such transgressions were occasional – typically in order to get a team on the park and avoid a forfeit, then move on. I can’t see that the League has sufficient resources to police it fully. It is a shame that this is an issue – would be nice if everyone was able to comply, but the reality is that (particularly later in the season) teams have trouble maintaining full playing numbers. I suspect a lot of teams have had the occasional “external” player to ensure the game was able to be played – most players would rather take part in a match (even if losing it) than win on a forfeit and not get to play at all. For those more serious – I suggest go and play C Grade; but the o/35s experience is more about taking part – albeit it is a competition and there is rightly some reward to the winners. It is a good incentive to achieve top-two, and get to play in the Cup Final

If player eligibility transgressions were to an extent that had significant impact on final league positions, then something would need to be done to protect the integrity of the o/35s comp. It is unfortunate that there were more forfeits this season than any others in the recent past. The issue of forfeits did have a baring in the League Title, with goal difference deciding matters. However, by season’s end, the top two teams were clearly above the rest, so let then have their day in the sun on Cup Final day and sort it out there as to who is the best.

Hopefully the o/35 division continues on next season. The game would lose a lot of experienced players if it were to fold – which would not be good for the game and SAASL as a whole.

htfac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by htfac »

Probably find that most clubs the Mod Jets beat comprehensively were playing unregistered players. Don't think those beaten teams were seeking an advantage. As mentioned its a social league above all in my opinion and putting a team out is what is important. As is giving a few guys a taste of playing +35s. Especially if they've been out of the game for a while. Always looking for recruits and bolstering numbers.
Cant fault Parafield. In my experience they played in the spirit of the +35s and didn't whinge or moan just playing for the fun. They we just really good.
As for playing against a team playing an unregistered player and still winning comprehensively. Don't see how an advantage was gained by the losing team and the result should stand.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

What was the final GD standings?

Here's a scenario to think about...

Let's say Jets beat a team twice who fielded ineligible players and beat them heavily. If it was revealed that the beaten team had fielded ineligible players then those results would be excluded or given as a 3-0 forfeit I would imagine? This would mean that Jets would be losing out on a more positive GD.....

If that was the case should the beaten team come clean?

For what it's worth Gardens were the best team and deserve the league.

Mahorn
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Mahorn »

For what it's worth Gardens were the best team and deserve the league.[/quote]

How so? they were beaten twice by modbury

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Slinky_Pete wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:IS Modbury Old Boys Hawkesys team?
I don't think he even played this season.
I only played one game this season, never played for that club anyway.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Seems like PG are being punished despite doing nothing wrong.

Jogonalex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jogonalex »

Mahorn wrote:For what it's worth Gardens were the best team and deserve the league.
How so? they were beaten twice by modbury[/quote]

Westies took points off Modbury both games.. would that make us better than Gardens as well? Agree though Gardens were best we played!
In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.
-- Bill Shankly --

Mahorn
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Mahorn »

Jogonalex wrote:
Mahorn wrote:For what it's worth Gardens were the best team and deserve the league.
Westies took points off Modbury both games.. would that make us better than Gardens as well? Agree though Gardens were best we played![/quote]
No

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Mahorn wrote:
That's not how football works.

Jogonalex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jogonalex »

Mahorn wrote:
Jogonalex wrote:
Westies took points off Modbury both games.. would that make us better than Gardens as well? Agree though Gardens were best we played!
No[/quote]

Your logic would suggest otherwise...
Gardens were the best side we played all year.
In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.
-- Bill Shankly --