CRAIG LAIRD'S CUP FINAL WRITE UP

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

pecker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

CRAIG LAIRD'S CUP FINAL WRITE UP

Post by pecker »

Match of the Day
A Scott Lindsay goal in extra time has seen Elizabeth Downs defeat a gallant Para Hills West 2-1 at Hindmarsh Stadium in the Top Corner Sport Cup.
Elizabeth Downs came into the game on the back of an undefeated Sunday Premier Division League season and were looking for a 3rd League and Cup double having previously achieved the feat in 2012 and 2014.
Para Hills West were looking for the clubs 1st League and Cup double having also gone undefeated in claiming the Sunday Division 2 title.
The underdog Westies, in their 1st Cup Final, almost got a dream start when on five minutes a Greg Jerome free kick was tipped over by Downs keeper Ben Aldridge.
The Maroons created their first chance in the 8th minutes when striker Billy Allotey broke from half way before playing in Tommy Blackett who scuffed his shot wide.
On 17 minutes the lively Darcy Clarke fired a long-range effort which swerved before being parried wide by West keeper David Brook.
Westies came within a whisker of the lead on 23 minutes when a Shaun Robertson free kick found an unmarked Alan Hall whose header had Aldridge beaten only for the post to deny him.
A quality Scott Lindsay cross on 35 minutes was met by a diving Matthew Wise header but Brook was again on hand to palm the ball over the bar.
The deadlock was broken on 38 minutes when a Westies partially cleared ball was picked up by Mark Kelly who drove the ball home from 20 yards to the roars of the Downs Army.
Para Hills West survived a scare on 54 minutes when the Downs played a short free kick to Clarke whose shot cannoned off the cross bar.
Westies fans came to life on 71 minutes when a loose back pass was pounced on by Kurtis Cracknell who brushed past his defender before coolly slotting his chance.
The game was now reaching fever pitch with the Maroons Wise having a long-range effort saved on 73 minutes while at the other end Westies Hall fired just wide on 76 minutes.
The game went into extra time and the Downs opened strongly with Matt Watson shooting just wide on 96 minutes but the pivotal moment came three minutes into stoppage time in the first half when a long throw picked out Lindsay who cut into the box before slotting it passed the diving Brook sparking mad celebrations on the ground and on the terracing.
A gallant Westies threw everything they had at the Maroons but couldn’t find the goal they needed as Elizabeth Downs clinched a 3rd doubled in six years.
Downs coach Alan Mottram “I thought Westies defended really well, were hard to break down and looked dangerous on the break. I thought in the 2nd half we moved the ball quicker but they capitalized on a mistake to get the equaliser. In extra time, I thought we stepped up a gear and we are so pleased to get the win and the double.”
Mottram has announced he will not be coaching in 2018 but he leaves the club in a good position “The club is in a strong position which I’m proud of and the new coach will have a great opportunity.”
Westies Coach Michael Iacovino “I’m so proud of our boys today who gave everything they had. Being honest the Downs had probably 65% of the play but we refused to buckle and we stuck at the task.” Iacovino looks forward to 2018 in the top flight “I think we showed today we can mix it in this company.”

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: CRAIG LAIRD'S CUP FINAL WRITE UP

Post by Chaos »

Top work again in 2017 Craig. Great coverage.....although some may disagree :lol:

Thanks all the same
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls