Referees

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

pelota
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Referees

Post by pelota »

has any body asked why most of the seniors referee are not referring this year .???

Shinkicker02
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Shinkicker02 »

pelota wrote:has any body asked why most of the seniors referee are not referring this year .???
Because the money is not worth the stress, threats and risk to your safety. Even good referees are still seen as bad referees by some clubs because of the decisions made, some clubs seem to think that decisions against them are ethnically based which is incorrect. It can be rather difficult to referee some of the amateur league clubs due to cultural differences and attitudes, not being racist, it's simply a fact.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Forest T Hairy wrote:This might be a sore topic but after witnessing the worst referee I have ever seen today I thought I would mention it.

For starters he must of been nearly 70 years old, he walked the whole game and that wasn't that quick. He made decisions that baffled both sides, mainly due to the fact that he just blew the whistle and didn't verbalise what decision he had made. He gave some yellow cards for tackles and then didn't give yellow cards for fouls.
The opposition made a substitution in the second half and he didn't even know. He then came and asked me if I had just made a sub?
Absolutely clueless..... and to top it all of we had a player red carded in injury time at the end.
He spoilt the game and didn't control it from the start.
In conversation with the opposite coach he agreed he was poor and that some new referees need to be found. How can these refs even get paid?

I dont envy refs at all but something needs to improve with the quality of refs otherwise it just spoils the game.
No doubt you will first in line at the meeting tonight?

Time for some righteous indignation

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

That was an hour of my life ill never get back

berbatov
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by berbatov »

dj_no.1 wrote:That was an hour of my life ill never get back

any details on what was said?

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

berbatov wrote:
dj_no.1 wrote:That was an hour of my life ill never get back

any details on what was said?

38 referees, so A grade games should be covered in best case scenario, but unlikely reserves/AR at all/much.

Reduction of around 10 active referees from last year, around 26 member wise though down from ~70. Those who responded have migrated away, gone to ffsa, suspended or retired.

They are coming to watch club referees for recruitment and also would like clubs to encourage this.

Abuse doubled over last 2 years and this year 7 major cases, 5 were for against coaches. Clubs made it clear they want coach suspensions that can be enforced with point deduction if violated. I suggested coaches required to register and wear lanyards that referee says hi to before the game and can forfeit the game if suspended coach is there etc.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Get someone else to wear the lanyard. The actual coach (who is suspended) doesn't and then still coaches unofficially.

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

God is an Englishman wrote:Get someone else to wear the lanyard. The actual coach (who is suspended) doesn't and then still coaches unofficially.
I know what you are saying, but it is getting to breaking point - if everyone does not get together now and support the changes needed, there will be no games as no refs will be present, or club refs will be doing a-grade games.
Im closer than you think

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

FoundIt wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Get someone else to wear the lanyard. The actual coach (who is suspended) doesn't and then still coaches unofficially.
I know what you are saying, but it is getting to breaking point - if everyone does not get together now and support the changes needed, there will be no games as no refs will be present, or club refs will be doing a-grade games.
Completely agree, just showing how the rule could be got round. Short of anyone banned cannot attend games, I don't see how you will get round that AND good luck policing that one.

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

meeting went for an hour, 40 minutes of that was side tracked by a few ppl from clubs banging on about suspending coaches and getting points deducted for coaches abusing referees.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

dj_no.1 wrote:meeting went for an hour, 40 minutes of that was side tracked by a few ppl from clubs banging on about suspending coaches and getting points deducted for coaches abusing referees.
if 5 of the 7 major incidents this year have involved coaches ... yet the only punishment is by fines... why couldn't the SAASL implement what the FFSA do

Coaches that are sent off will be suspended the following weeks similar to players

Coaches are not to enter changerooms 1 hour prior to kick off / half time / and 30 minutes after the match

A coach can not be in the technical area during matches

If a coach is found guilty of doing the above the club shall suffer the same penalties as a playing a suspended player

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

pelota wrote:has any body asked why most of the seniors referee are not referring this year .???
Also if referees were to be on Facebook or read this forum it wouldn't fill you with enthusiasm to go out and referee on the weekend.
Personally I think much of the negativity towards referees should be removed from social media 'groups'.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

bloodypassit wrote:
dj_no.1 wrote:meeting went for an hour, 40 minutes of that was side tracked by a few ppl from clubs banging on about suspending coaches and getting points deducted for coaches abusing referees.
if 5 of the 7 major incidents this year have involved coaches ... yet the only punishment is by fines... why couldn't the SAASL implement what the FFSA do

Coaches that are sent off will be suspended the following weeks similar to players

Coaches are not to enter changerooms 1 hour prior to kick off / half time / and 30 minutes after the match

A coach can not be in the technical area during matches

If a coach is found guilty of doing the above the club shall suffer the same penalties as a playing a suspended player
listen I don't have too much of a problem with saasl implementing something regarding coaching match day suspensions if it was warranted, but ppl were going on about banning them from the clubs and the majority of the meeting revolved around this subject when it wasn't really addressing ref numbers at all. I wasn't the only thinking this .

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

38 referees, so A grade games should be covered in best case scenario, but unlikely reserves/AR at all/much.

Reduction of around 10 active referees from last year, around 26 member wise though down from ~70. Those who responded have migrated away, gone to ffsa, suspended or retired.

Suspended?
I heard some decided not to ref this year rather than retire. "Unfortunately due to politics" they said at Brahma a few weeks ago.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

God is an Englishman wrote:
FoundIt wrote:
Completely agree, just showing how the rule could be got round. Short of anyone banned cannot attend games, I don't see how you will get round that AND good luck policing that one.
yes, clubs will still get around it. even if coach suspended, they can still turn up, it is a public area. who is going to police them not going into changerooms or shouting instructions from outside technical area - the poor ref? or the other club?. clubs have to unite against it. sadly most are apathetic and it is too hard to police. The saasl and its member clubs love sitting on the $1mil in the bank yet have no plans for developing the league now and into the future.
Im closer than you think

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

Shinkicker02 wrote:
Because the money is not worth the stress, threats and risk to your safety. Even good referees are still seen as bad referees by some clubs because of the decisions made, some clubs seem to think that decisions against them are ethnically based which is incorrect. It can be rather difficult to referee some of the amateur league clubs due to cultural differences and attitudes, not being racist, it's simply a fact.
agree. a well composed,factual diplomatic post. :|

sin²x + cos²x = 1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sin²x + cos²x = 1 »

FoundIt wrote:The saasl and its member clubs love sitting on the $1mil in the bank yet have no plans for developing the league now and into the future.
That never gets old.
I tend to go off on a tangent

Mr Michael Carter
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Mr Michael Carter »

More and more of the modest and fair play clubs from your competition have come across to our Federation, leaving behind only clubs with poor reputations, naturally as the pool remaining becomes dirtier the fitter officials also follow to our Federation. Pretty soon there will only be a few remaining both clubs and referees. Consider coming across, the grass is greener here, or at least the officials believe it is.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Mr Michael Carter wrote:More and more of the modest and fair play clubs from your competition have come across to our Federation, leaving behind only clubs with poor reputations, naturally as the pool remaining becomes dirtier the fitter officials also follow to our Federation. Pretty soon there will only be a few remaining both clubs and referees. Consider coming across, the grass is greener here, or at least the officials believe it is.
I would love to but I wouldn't trust the ffsa to run a piss up in a brewery, joke of an organisation.

Mr Michael Carter
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Mr Michael Carter »

MR GE

By the amount of education and thought that was put into your response, you clearly provide me with my point on what you are dealing with in your competition.

Our competition provides the pathway that yours cannot. A peak body does not horde money, but rather re-invest it into its grassroots.

The FFSA is transparent, your competition, well, let's just leave it at that.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Mr Michael Carter wrote:More and more of the modest and fair play clubs from your competition have come across to our Federation, leaving behind only clubs with poor reputations, naturally as the pool remaining becomes dirtier the fitter officials also follow to our Federation. Pretty soon there will only be a few remaining both clubs and referees. Consider coming across, the grass is greener here, or at least the officials believe it is.
Hi Michael,

I am sure if you or the CSL starting a single division on a Sunday there would be a lot of interest and it would grow.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

so mr carter how much does it cost a club to put a fed team on the park. just asking. :?:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Mr Michael Carter wrote:MR GE

By the amount of education and thought that was put into your response, you clearly provide me with my point on what you are dealing with in your competition.

Our competition provides the pathway that yours cannot. A peak body does not horde money, but rather re-invest it into its grassroots.

The FFSA is transparent, your competition, well, let's just leave it at that.
I really wish you were the FFSA's Michael Carter. Only ever had 2 dealings with the FFSA and both have shown their incapacity to tell the truth and both have shown lack of any skills and organisation within the organisation.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Time for some righteous indignation

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

Yeah shite loads have come across, what dat you smoking buffoon. Name one that has not been a whipping boy propping up your crud second tier division...How many have come across and actually won anything......and let's not start with the 30 years ago shite....cue J.D..... :shock: :shock:
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

berbatov
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by berbatov »

the ref at the Northern Pitbulls vs OISC in Saturday Div4A was really good, nice to have an official ref in Div 4 as well, seems to be 50/50 so far!

WAWAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WAWAW »

I re visit the topic of referees after today's game.

We lost the game and that was not the referees fault so it's not because of that.

1. I asked the question to the assessor who was also present for the game.
If a player raises his hand at an opponent and illustrates a threat to punch him is this a red card?
My thoughts were that it is.... and so was the assessors. The referee said that the reaction from that player was because he was bumped to the floor (for which that player received a yellow card) but yet the player who reacted in this way did not receive any card?

Which leads to my overall point.
2. The referees are intimidated and to me appear to be afraid to issue red cards to the teams in the leagues that are quite frankly forever intimidating to the officials. Forever surrounding the referee makes their job very hard and imo is why they don't issue red cards to them. At one point today the referee was surrounded by 8 players who were all in his face and jumping around as if they were stood on hot coals.
No wonder they don't want to further aggravate the situation and issue red cards for actions that are warranted of a red card.

I feel for the refs that do the job but these teams who are intimidating in this was just spoil the game full stop......... and these are teams that are supported by local councils and get things paid for them too hahaha like kit etc?

Onwards and upwards!
#mylipsaresealed

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Forest T Hairy wrote: I feel for the refs that do the job but these teams who are intimidating in this was just spoil the game full stop......... and these are teams that are supported by local councils and get things paid for them too hahaha like kit etc?

Onwards and upwards!
most council have sporting / community grants, should check out your locals website. also the office of recreation and sport.