Another cluster shiraz with the League.

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Another cluster shiraz with the League.

Post by bloodypassit »

haywood djablowme wrote:What a joke, we have been appointed no AR's for our season opener this weekend.. get ya house in order, you have had since October last year to be ready for rd 1 :roll:
Just be happy you get a ref at every game..... ask some of the lower divisions what its like when no ref attends

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

bloodypassit wrote:
haywood djablowme wrote:What a joke, we have been appointed no AR's for our season opener this weekend.. get ya house in order, you have had since October last year to be ready for rd 1 :roll:
Just be happy you get a ref at every game..... ask some of the lower divisions what its like when no ref attends
think they have around 39 games over Saturday and Sunday.

if you add AR for div 1 sunday thats 49 required a weekend with no double ups, they only have 34 referees right now i heard. going to be a interesting year on that front it seems.

Who's Confused
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Who's Confused »

Gristy wrote:if you add AR for div 1 sunday thats 49 required
I would expect to at least be an even number.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Once again we come back to the issue of there being a shortage, and from my experiences in the league over the last 10+ years for the following reasons;

1. Abuse of referees - whether they are official or club refs they get abused constantly, people need to remember that every person watching has a different angle, has different eye sights, has different interpretations etc. Accept the fact they are going to make mistakes and move on.

2. Pay of the referees - related a little to #1, but if you are paid $100ish for a game, and you cop some sort of abuse for 90+ minutes, why the hell would you come back and do it again next week? If the league started by weeding out the clubs that cause trouble (3 divs of 12 anyone?) and then advised the clubs they were going to raise referee fees by x amount, and used some of the money in the bank to actually develop and train these referees then we would have a better standard across the board. Allow referees to report a club when there has been over the top abuse, get a SAASL official to come out over the next few home games, and if the abuse continues - fine them. Three of the clubs I've been at over the past 20+ years all have a strong community feel and certainly wouldn't stand for a player/fan/club official etc abusing refs or ARs and costing the club money, they'd move that person on if it was continually happening.

3. Developing younger referees - if the league don't bring in younger refs now, we'll have a lot less next year, and the year after, and the year after etc. Do something about it now because it becomes a completely club referee system, and nobody wants that.

WAWAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WAWAW »

We had no ref turn up to our game either.....

And it is TV who only have one team in our division, which means no game for our B grade for 3 weeks due to Easter break.....
#mylipsaresealed

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Who's Confused wrote:
AR make it odd asso a couple of byes

Kaiser Chefs
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Kaiser Chefs »

Gristy wrote:
Who's Confused wrote:
Every game requires two so no matter how many games being played you should have an even number.
Bon Appétit

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

uote="Kaiser Chefs"]
Gristy wrote:
Who's Confused wrote:
Every game requires two so no matter how many games being played you should have an even number.[/quote]

5 Premier League games, x 3 referees makes 15 a odd number :)

Asahara Shōkō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Asahara Shōkō »

What figure will require 49?
Apparently Knight15 finds me attractive

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Asahara Shōkō wrote:What figure will require 49?
He only suggested AR's for Sun Div 1 (adding to the total).

39 referees are needed for 39 games.
a further 10 for Sunday Div 1 (5 games x 2 AR's)

Sat D1A= 5 games
Sat D1B = 5 games
Sat D2A = 5 games
Sat D3A = 5 games
Sat D4A = 4 games
Sat D7 = 6 games

I've assumed home ref for D 5/6 & B games in D2-4

Now usually D1B move to D1A AR, so only an additional 5 are required.

So 35 referees/AR's are needed on a Saturday, as a minimum

That's not an even number.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

English wrote:Once again we come back to the issue of there being a shortage, and from my experiences in the league over the last 10+ years for the following reasons;

1. Abuse of referees - whether they are official or club refs they get abused constantly, people need to remember that every person watching has a different angle, has different eye sights, has different interpretations etc. Accept the fact they are going to make mistakes and move on.

2. Pay of the referees - related a little to #1, but if you are paid $100ish for a game, and you cop some sort of abuse for 90+ minutes, why the hell would you come back and do it again next week? If the league started by weeding out the clubs that cause trouble (3 divs of 12 anyone?) and then advised the clubs they were going to raise referee fees by x amount, and used some of the money in the bank to actually develop and train these referees then we would have a better standard across the board. Allow referees to report a club when there has been over the top abuse, get a SAASL official to come out over the next few home games, and if the abuse continues - fine them. Three of the clubs I've been at over the past 20+ years all have a strong community feel and certainly wouldn't stand for a player/fan/club official etc abusing refs or ARs and costing the club money, they'd move that person on if it was continually happening.

3. Developing younger referees - if the league don't bring in younger refs now, we'll have a lot less next year, and the year after, and the year after etc. Do something about it now because it becomes a completely club referee system, and nobody wants that.
There's a catch-22 with bringing young officials into the competition.

In the FFSA, you can blood new officials through the junior competition, where bar a few testy parents you don't cop abuse from players and supporters as you would in a senior match. The pace of the game is reasonable enough to follow play and have that extra second to make a call.

In the SAASL, there are no easy relaxed matches where you can "learn your trade" without copping it from someone. People may argue that a Bs match is the place for this, but when have you ever seen people less passionate about ref decisions in a Bs match as in an As match? The simple matter is until clubs take more responsbility for the behaviour of their players and spectators towards officials, this will be a continuing trend, no matter how much cash you throw at them.

Also, a club shouldn't be moving people on if it "continually happens", it should be nipped in the bud straight away.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
English wrote:Once again we come back to the issue of there being a shortage, and from my experiences in the league over the last 10+ years for the following reasons;

In the FFSA, you can blood new officials through the junior competition, where bar a few testy parents you don't cop abuse from players and supporters as you would in a senior match. The pace of the game is reasonable enough to follow play and have that extra second to make a call.

In the SAASL, there are no easy relaxed matches where you can "learn your trade" without copping it from someone. People may argue that a Bs match is the place for this, but when have you ever seen people less passionate about ref decisions in a Bs match as in an As match? The simple matter is until clubs take more responsbility for the behaviour of their players and spectators towards officials, this will be a continuing trend, no matter how much cash you throw at them.

Also, a club shouldn't be moving people on if it "continually happens", it should be nipped in the bud straight away.
SAASL has the E&D league

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I watched a ref book 4 people in about 5 minutes yesterday. I can hardly remember seeing a foul in the game.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Lucas Leiva wrote:

AR in Div 2 last year were largely very young men and women who were learning their trade, why can't the same thing happen even at a Reserve level?

My comment about moving someone on was moreso giving them a warning if it happens once, with two clubs I was at, it didn't happen again so we didn't have to take it further. I understand passion can get the better of some people and it's legitimately a one off, but clubs need to come down harder on people that do it. I can remember a game last year we were 4-0 up and three of the opposition fans in the reserves stepped on the pitch to abuse the ref after he'd given a penalty, not one person from this other club tried to stop the people from stepping on the pitch, and they even walked after the ref to give him a mouthful at half time.

Speaking of testy parents/coaches, was up at Athelstone watching our C2s on Sunday, and the coach of the team who were winning was disgusting. Effin' and jeffin' at the young referee, and you can see it's spread to the players because continually the captain and 2-3 other players were crowding the referee after decisions. Like Jesus Christ, you boys are 6-0 up, just let it go.

Sean's
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sean's »

New team being entered into Saturday Div 4 apparently. This will replace Para Hills who withdrew. Starting this weekend (probably A grade only at this stage) then both grades when they have the numbers.
2011 - Saturday Division 4 Champions
2010 - Port Elliot Pre-season cup winners

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Sean's wrote:New team being entered into Saturday Div 4 apparently. This will replace Para Hills who withdrew. Starting this weekend (probably A grade only at this stage) then both grades when they have the numbers.
So they'll drop out by round 8?

Kaiser Chefs
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Kaiser Chefs »

Sean's wrote:New team being entered into Saturday Div 4 apparently. This will replace Para Hills who withdrew. Starting this weekend (probably A grade only at this stage) then both grades when they have the numbers.
Are you ready to answer your claims of racism yet?
Bon Appétit

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

God is an Englishman wrote:I watched a ref book 4 people in about 5 minutes yesterday. I can hardly remember seeing a foul in the game.
Saw the same on Saturday at Vista's game - 18s ref killed the game giving out cards like candy in what was not a spiteful game then needlessly over zealous in the first team game (apparently ref was the cousin of one of the players also.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

no res ref in Sun Div 1 Res, no lino's in senior game, I'm guessing numbers are down as there were always lino's last year
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly