Big clubs strike again

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

WAWAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Big clubs strike again

Post by WAWAW »

Well for the second time in 2 seasons after playing the bigger clubs in pre season, some players have left with 6 days to go before the season starts.
Not ideal and certainly doesn't help a small club try to progress.

The big Sunday div 1 clubs have plenty of players to field more than 3 teams. It seems harsh that they poach even more players to give them more than enough options to pick from. This leaves the little clubs who struggle to field 2 teams on a weekely basis.

The promise of playing at an undoubtedly bigger club is the pull but in reality will they play where they want or think they should.

Not sure if any poaching or underhand approaches were made but one thing is for certain the bigger clubs get bigger and the small clubs struggle to progress. It's not the club that makes the name........it's the name that makes the club.

Oh well, we move on and have to deal with it. Hopefully we still have a good season.

Onwards and upwards!
#mylipsaresealed

redwin
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Big clubs strike again

Post by redwin »

Perhaps they aspire to play on a pitch slightly larger than a postage stamp....

jogger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jogger »

That's reality, there will always be the attraction of playing for the 'big clubs' for these people. If they are good enough they will get a regular run, if not the system will spit them out and they will be back in the lower divisions.

Been there, done that and I was lucky enough to win 2 ressies league titles, play at hindmarsh and win the ressies cup and step in as captain for matches. I was lucky enough to play a couple of first team matches.

Good luck to these guys, you should never begrudge them the opportunity. If they don't make and you support their move they may come back to you later!

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

It's the way of the world mate get over it.

WAWAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WAWAW »

onwards and upwards like I said.

Good luck to the players

Good luck to one and all for the season ahead!
#mylipsaresealed

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

redbacks right unfortunately. no one ever gives a flying duck about the poor :roll:

Ali Dia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ali Dia »

Forest T Hairy wrote:Well for the second time in 2 seasons after playing the bigger clubs in pre season, some players have left with 6 days to go before the season starts.
Not ideal and certainly doesn't help a small club try to progress.

The big Sunday div 1 clubs have plenty of players to field more than 3 teams. It seems harsh that they poach even more players to give them more than enough options to pick from. This leaves the little clubs who struggle to field 2 teams on a weekely basis.

The promise of playing at an undoubtedly bigger club is the pull but in reality will they play where they want or think they should.

Not sure if any poaching or underhand approaches were made but one thing is for certain the bigger clubs get bigger and the small clubs struggle to progress. It's not the club that makes the name........it's the name that makes the club.

Oh well, we move on and have to deal with it. Hopefully we still have a good season.

Onwards and upwards!
lol you salty?
!!Former Southampton Player!!
Influences: Graeme Souness & Matt Le Tissier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg

jogger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jogger »

Forest T Hairy, what's your role at the Club... one would hope not someone who drives culture around the club.

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

how do you know they were poached by the bigger club, maybe they approached them and asked to trial. I guess they may see the opportunity to play at a club with better facilities, coaching and other players that may help to improve their own game. As said if you support them, there is a chance that they may return if the grass is not greener.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

blue moon wrote:how do you know they were poached by the bigger club, maybe they approached them and asked to trial. I guess they may see the opportunity to play at a club with better facilities, coaching and other players that may help to improve their own game. As said if you support them, there is a chance that they may return if the grass is not greener.
It's amateur league ffs, if these guys were that inclined they should have a crack at SL2 or SL1.
It's all in the Delivery!

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

Old Redback wrote:It's the way of the world mate get over it.
i think he is just finding out about life.
Im closer than you think

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

Brian the Postman wrote:
blue moon wrote:how do you know they were poached by the bigger club, maybe they approached them and asked to trial. I guess they may see the opportunity to play at a club with better facilities, coaching and other players that may help to improve their own game. As said if you support them, there is a chance that they may return if the grass is not greener.
It's amateur league ffs, if these guys were that inclined they should have a crack at SL2 or SL1.
Unless they can't commit to Saturdays due to work commitments

WAWAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WAWAW »

Good to see a topical debate.
For one I never said they were poached just stated that it was unclear.

The other point is surely the players would have had some idea if they weren't going to stay with the club or did it just come about after our pre season game (coincidence).
The players had registered and been part of all of pre season where they were.
If they were never going to play due to work commitments then why register and go through pre season.

I accept that the club that they have gone to are bigger and better and so they should be after years of getting to that size and stature.
The point was that the smaller clubs trying to progress find it more difficult in circumstances like this.

At the end of the day it happens and that's the way of the world as some would put it. My bridge is built and we move on. I was merely making a topical topic of conversation.

Good luck to the players and they are welcome back next season if things don't work out as they hoped.

Onwards and upwards!
#mylipsaresealed

htfac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by htfac »

Its a circle. Players move to "bigger" clubs to test themselves. Fringe 1st and reserve players from "bigger" clubs move to "smaller" clubs when they see an opportunity to play 1st team. Some players just like to move sideways for a new and or re-freshing change? Bigger Amateur clubs should also support players if they want to test themselves at a higher level in State or Premier leagues. Never burn your bridges. And on it goes.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Stop speaking so damn sensibly.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Brian the Postman wrote:
I think the point he is making refers to moving up in the world....
HA'WAY THE LADS

LRO
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LRO »

I think this does happen right or wrong depends what side of the club you are at ! But why would you leave to play reserves with possibly no chance of playing 1st team, and more than likely could go to the C Team when the seniors can't pick 18 during the season!

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

Brian the Postman wrote:
SL 2 <<<< Div 1 Sunday amateurs by general consensus around the traps

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Jeez.....we can barely poach an egg down South :)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

WAWAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WAWAW »

LRO wrote:I think this does happen right or wrong depends what side of the club you are at ! But why would you leave to play reserves with possibly no chance of playing 1st team, and more than likely could go to the C Team when the seniors can't pick 18 during the season!
:roll:

Leaving Playing first team to go play C grade or reserves st a push.... must be the work related reason then? :wink:

Onwards and upwards!
#mylipsaresealed