Div 1 - Div 2 Sunday whats going to happen??

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Div 1 - Div 2 Sunday whats going to happen??

Post by RowePark »

blue moon wrote:
swannsong wrote:Shit just got real :shock:
Any players out there want to play in the big boys division ?
Interesting to know if your committee considered staying put in div2? thinking if your not able to adequately recruit then it could actually be damaging longer term should you have a bad 2017 - as opposed to building momentum and being prepared fully for Div1.
Last year clubs were told not offered

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Gristy wrote:
blue moon wrote:
Interesting to know if your committee considered staying put in div2? thinking if your not able to adequately recruit then it could actually be damaging longer term should you have a bad 2017 - as opposed to building momentum and being prepared fully for Div1.
That's what I thought, given the option we would probably say no, we need to rebuild this year too many old people playing and we need far more depth just to compete in Division 2, we certainly won't have 3 Teams and if we are forced to play in Division 1, may even struggle for 2
Are you Bodo in disguise?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Knight15 wrote:That's what I thought, given the option we would probably say no, we need to rebuild this year too many old people playing and we need far more depth just to compete in Division 2, we certainly won't have 3 Teams and if we are forced to play in Division 1, may even struggle for 2
Interesting wording - sounds like you will be trying to stay in Div 2?

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Knight15 wrote:That's what I thought, given the option we would probably say no, we need to rebuild this year too many old people playing and we need far more depth just to compete in Division 2, we certainly won't have 3 Teams and if we are forced to play in Division 1, may even struggle for 2
No, we finished 3rd, it looks certain that 3 teams will go up, we will go up, we will work hard to make it happen and be as competitive as possible and all Division 1 Teams will get a warm welcome and dinner provided etc

Asahara Shōkō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Asahara Shōkō »

Gristy wrote:
blue moon wrote:
Ask USC Lion how they got around that.
Apparently Knight15 finds me attractive

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Knight15 wrote:
No, we finished 3rd, it looks certain that 3 teams will go up, we will go up, we will work hard to make it happen and be as competitive as possible and all Division 1 Teams will get a warm welcome and dinner provided etc
Good answer

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Thanks, first reaction was oh cabernet, but it is what it is, we have a great group of guys who are all very proud - if you come to watch a few games bring your boots ......

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Old Redback wrote:
Surely the clubs in the 'big boys division' can all field 3 teams?
Our ground sharing position makes it difficult to find available space to field a 3rd team even if we could find the numbers.
The set up in the north, due to a bit of foresight by the E&DJSA back in the early 1960s means a lot of the clubs are in control of their grounds, bar and have juniors....we're not so fortunate down south.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

chunky-monkey
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by chunky-monkey »

Your coach last year was quoted as saying to our coach " we don't want to go up, its to hard" hopefully your new coach has a different approach.

Asahara Shōkō
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Asahara Shōkō »

I would expect it to be harder.
Apparently Knight15 finds me attractive

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Asahara Shōkō wrote:I would expect it to be harder.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

chunky-monkey wrote:
Your coach last year was quoted as saying to our coach " we don't want to go up, its to hard" hopefully your new coach has a different approach.
No, I feel I need to clarify that, Jim took us from Division 2, where we finished second by a point to Division 1, we survived the first year, but not the second - he was desperate to get us back up, for a range of reasons we had too many players unavailable too often - we had 17 players travel to Port Pirie

He may have said 'some of our players don't want to get promoted it's too hard' but Jim definitely did - he always planned to step down at the end of the year, so what did he have to lose

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Knight15 wrote:
chunky-monkey wrote:
No, I feel I need to clarify that, Jim took us from Division 2, where we finished second by a point to Division 1, we survived the first year, but not the second - he was desperate to get us back up, for a range of reasons we had too many players unavailable too often - we had 17 players travel to Port Pirie

He may have said 'some of our players don't want to get promoted it's too hard' but Jim definitely did - he always planned to step down at the end of the year, so what did he have to lose
Agree, Jim never said anything of the sort, he has a highly competitive nature....I do recall however, one of our players saying something similar to what you quoted to spectators at Angle Vale.

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

All the best Swanny on the year ahead, will definitely try and make the journey down your way to catch up...
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

jim.mcguinness
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jim.mcguinness »

it is too hard !! ,I did say to this to the Vista coach , not sure which club you are from Chunky Monkey and yes it is a bit hard sometimes for the guys that want to play Sunday football and don't fancy getting hammered week in week out ,
Knights had the opportunity to say no but unlike some other clubs we relish the opportunity of playing in the top league this year ,
Been there done that , took a few poundings, remember fondly the massacres at Parafield Gardens in particular , our reserves will have a harder season than our first team .
But will always strive to get to the top , I know we were good enough to get promoted last year , we just didn't show up for games at times ,
I know we can compete with 3-4 teams in the first division and also think the first division may be a little easier this year than it has in the previous few years looking at the stock, I also think the Knights will be better equipped with more experience , time will tell , hope I don't make myself look like a grenache saying this .
I don't play to lose but all of the pointers will suggest that it will be same - same and a hard slog for the boys
There are basically not enough quality players playing Amateurs in the South and still a bit of stigma attached to playing Amateurs unfortunately
And unless we get another sugar daddy ( thanks to Knight 15 and the rest of the boys that sponsor) and buy players ( which is not going to happen and is also unsustainable ) we will get the boots on and go again ,looking forward to seeing a few friendly faces and would much rather play the Downs and Ingle Farm this season instead of Ghan and a trip to Port Pirie with our pants down .
Looking forward to the season . see you down the club Jim

redwin
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by redwin »

Knight15 wrote:

Great attitude and exemplary club. Wish them all the best. Will take my boots with me if needed and they find a shirt my size

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

#88 wrote:So who finished third in div 3?
MSSC Blue Eagles, Maiwand 3rd in Division 4...

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

Knight15 wrote:
finishing 3rd by 1 pt meant you were almost going to be in Div1 anyway. What would you have done differently in the off season if you finished 2nd?
Every Rat has his day !!

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

No, we finished 3rd, it looks certain that 3 teams will go up, we will go up, we will work hard to make it happen and be as competitive as possible and all Division 1 Teams will get a warm welcome and dinner provided etc[/quote]

finishing 3rd by 1 pt meant you were almost going to be in Div1 anyway. What would you have done differently in the off season if you finished 2nd?[/quote]

Eaten less pies