Is SAASL a shambles

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Srbin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Is SAASL a shambles

Post by Srbin »

Teams playing Fed players. Brawls and games being called off. Teams dropping out and leagues not having enough teams.

Is the league a shambles in it's current format. I know I will get hounded for this but I think without significant change the SAASL may be doomed in years to come

Makaveli14
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Is SAASL a shambles

Post by Makaveli14 »

Ha ha ha....the refs are the worst part of the league

chunky-monkey
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by chunky-monkey »

Referee we had today. Won't name him. Easy to find out if people want, he was brilliant. Feel sorry for the way he was treated and how he was feeling after the game. Would not be surprised if he gives it away and would be a bad loss for the SAASL & the referees association.

bomber Harris
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by bomber Harris »

Srbin wrote:Teams playing Fed players. Brawls and games being called off. Teams dropping out and leagues not having enough teams.

Is the league a shambles in it's current format. I know I will get hounded for this but I think without significant change the SAASL may be doomed in years to come
+1
IMO,Until Football in SA is run under one body like other states, GAMES DEAD.
"We Fear No Foe"

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Makaveli14 wrote:Ha ha ha....the refs are the worst part of the league
Are you the one that kicked the ref ??? In the Maco's vs vista game??

Makaveli14
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Makaveli14 »

bloodypassit wrote:
Makaveli14 wrote:Ha ha ha....the refs are the worst part of the league
Are you the one that kicked the ref ??? In the Maco's vs vista game??
Mate i got a family member whos an official, the last thing i would do is attack on official i think its disgraceful. And ive seen some bad calls.

pridept
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by pridept »

in the past two years we had more than 40!!!!!!! refs quitting. i rate myself as an ok referee, and have been assaulted 3 times this year, and handed our 12! R6M (abuse/ assault to club officials) this season.

churchill
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by churchill »

bomber Harris wrote:
Srbin wrote:Teams playing Fed players. Brawls and games being called off. Teams dropping out and leagues not having enough teams.

+1
For the betterment of football in SA the saasl and ffsa need to start discussion on merging to satisfy FFA rules and get more teams participating in the FFA cup competition and maybe improve the running of the league

Ali Dia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ali Dia »

completely agree mate! only last week i was talking to my mate regarding what the future holds for SAASL. It will take only a few big clubs to change to FFSA and the following years will see a lot of other clubs follow....
!!Former Southampton Player!!
Influences: Graeme Souness & Matt Le Tissier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Bit harsh, we have had a minor incident this year with Ghan (hasn't everyone) and one team who suddenly became much, much better, but generally have had reasonable referees for both A's and B's and had a pretty uneventful year.

Not sure how much better the FFSA would be and how much more it would cost
Are you Bodo in disguise?

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Knight15 wrote:Bit harsh, we have had a minor incident this year with Ghan (hasn't everyone) and one team who suddenly became much, much better, but generally have had reasonable referees for both A's and B's and had a pretty uneventful year.

i have had a look at it csl v saasl. the main cost difference is per player 70 v 37, but that 70 includes insurance where saasls is seperated out. the other cost difference is needing to pay for official ref for BCDEF grade vs the league paying a club ref.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Knight15 wrote:Bit harsh, we have had a minor incident this year with Ghan (hasn't everyone) and one team who suddenly became much, much better, but generally have had reasonable referees for both A's and B's and had a pretty uneventful year.

There lies the problem though, we pay fees now and they are just sitting in the coffers. At what point are they spent? And what happens if SAASL folds - who gets the money?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I generally agree but the one body would surely stop the rorting by some clubs of playing Fed players and claiming they didn't know he was registered to another club.

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

Its no worse than it was 20 years ago.

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

until the old buzzards leave, nothing will happen. personalty sent video evidence of fed players in a amateur team, nothing ... not one single things done , just ignored. ref's are central to all games and this slap happy attitude by the SAASL is just showing a need to change and modernize, put old arguments a aside and work on having SA under one banner

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

you should inform their fed club aswell.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

dj_no.1 wrote:you should inform their fed club aswell.
asked a fed club for a team photo, to provide saasl with it for proof, had to go get adam butler photos as the fed club refused.

Footballwise
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Footballwise »

Supporters, players, officials need to understand referees are there to help with the game. Yes they are paid. Not very much and do a good job. Not always getting decisions right. Yet there is too much abuse. No official goes out there to ruin a teams season. They make some mistakes as we all do. I have been surprised and frustrated with some officials while watching games this year. But that is the game you get some and cop some. I'm a big believer that over the season it evens out.

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

Footballwise wrote:Supporters, players, officials need to understand referees are there to help with the game. Yes they are paid. Not very much and do a good job. Not always getting decisions right. Yet there is too much abuse. No official goes out there to ruin a teams season. They make some mistakes as we all do. I have been surprised and frustrated with some officials while watching games this year. But that is the game you get some and cop some. I'm a big believer that over the season it evens out.
+1
Because everyone needs one.

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

Not so long ago, everyone was slagging off the FFSA and saying they were a shambles, and everyone would jump ship to the SAASL.
Because everyone needs one.

Der kaiser
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Der kaiser »

Be careful what you wish for!

The SAASL has plenty of problems and all fooball should be under one body, but the FFSA aren't that much better (if at all).

On the issue of brawls, referee physical abuse etc the SAASL need to grow a pair and start banning players/Club officials etc for years/life and/or dock Clubs points and issue monetary fines.

bomber Harris
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by bomber Harris »

churchill wrote:
bomber Harris wrote:

+1
For the betterment of football in SA the saasl and ffsa need to start discussion on merging to satisfy FFA rules and get more teams participating in the FFA cup competition and maybe improve the running of the league
I believe SA is the only state still divided by 2 separate bodies running football.
As you say, should be made to reform to meet FFA standards, & to better the game in this state.
Absolute shambles on both sides of the fence at present, as has been for far to long.
Until a reform is undertaken, how can you expect anyone let alone sponsors take the game seriously if we cant get our act together off the park.
Rant over.
"We Fear No Foe"

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by absolutely appalled »

Its ok they have 1.5mill sitting in the bank... non profit organization has that much money just sitting there but don't worry about investing money into referee training- the refereeing efforts this season that I've seen have been nothing short of embarrassing, having said that the way they get treated is even worse and I can see why they are dropping off at an alarming rate. If SAASL don't start looking after the competition instead of worrying about $$$$$$ I cant see too many clubs other then the northern EandD clubs hanging about.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

dj_no.1 wrote:Its no worse than it was 20 years ago.
pommy clubs couldent get away with it even then

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

absolutely appalled wrote:Its ok they have 1.5mill sitting in the bank... non profit organization has that much money just sitting there but don't worry about investing money into referee training- the refereeing efforts this season that I've seen have been nothing short of embarrassing, having said that the way they get treated is even worse and I can see why they are dropping off at an alarming rate. If SAASL don't start looking after the competition instead of worrying about $$$$$$ I cant see too many clubs other then the northern EandD clubs hanging about.
Why do we all try to handball refereeing issues back to the SAASL....Clubs (including my own) sometimes need to take a good hard look at ourselves.
The verbal barrages from the sidelines (and often from within the technical areas or from ground marshalls) don't help at all, they influence players attitudes to the match officials.
Everyone seems to be 'right in line' and are better judges of offsides, free kicks etc.
As someone mentioned earlier, often the calls you miss out on are evened up within the game or in other games....
Players need to STFU, stop whingeing and disputing every call...appeal yes, but if it doesn't go your way get on with it.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

Definitely should be a strong punishment for physically abusing an official, afl comps are streets ahead in this to the point players are suspended for accidental contact so a zero tolerance policy. As for verbal abuse, as long as it is not threatening or too far over the top, is part and parcel of most sport from the sideline and if coming from the park the referee has the option to punish it. At the end of the day the referee is paid to provide a service and with that comes the expectation of a certain standard. I don't believe we get what should be a minimum standard expected of some ref's. If your internet goes down for a week I'm sure you will call your provider in a not so nice manner as well as expect a discount for the lack of service. I believe training etc comes down to the referees association and from what I understand they don't enforce showing up at training etc so to a certain extent are part to blame for the issue at hand but I will mention it again and this should be a no brainer, physical abuse of an official should not be tolerated in any way. I also think that ref assessments should be done independently and not by the ref association so as to get unbiased assessments. The league could pay for this and look to hire former refs ideally associated at federation level but with little association to amateurs previously

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

#88 wrote:Didn't the premier league change their rules to prevent verbal barrages aimed at officials.
I think Jamie Vardy was highly critisized towards the end of last season. Perhaps tightening up the rules on dissent may help. (Or makes things worse :? )
R6 os use of provocative, offensive or abusive language and/or gestures 2-4 match ban.

have seen this given twice this season by official saasl ref, and 3-4 times in reserves where it seems to be worse as they think they can just abuse people. one of which saasl turned into a yellow because the player was a substitute so they didnt think his death threats to officials and supporters mattered because he wasnt active in play..

Ali Dia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ali Dia »

absolutely appalled wrote:Its ok they have 1.5mill sitting in the bank... non profit organization has that much money just sitting there but don't worry about investing money into referee training- the refereeing efforts this season that I've seen have been nothing short of embarrassing, having said that the way they get treated is even worse and I can see why they are dropping off at an alarming rate. If SAASL don't start looking after the competition instead of worrying about $$$$$$ I cant see too many clubs other then the northern EandD clubs hanging about.
Great interest rate on savings accounts at the moment... :roll:
!!Former Southampton Player!!
Influences: Graeme Souness & Matt Le Tissier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
Why do we all try to handball refereeing issues back to the SAASL....Clubs (including my own) sometimes need to take a good hard look at ourselves.
The verbal barrages from the sidelines (and often from within the technical areas or from ground marshalls) don't help at all, they influence players attitudes to the match officials.
Everyone seems to be 'right in line' and are better judges of offsides, free kicks etc.
As someone mentioned earlier, often the calls you miss out on are evened up within the game or in other games....
Players need to STFU, stop whingeing and disputing every call...appeal yes, but if it doesn't go your way get on with it.
What makes me laugh the most is when someone is asked to run the line when needed and often the response is "I don't know how to do it". Same people will suddenly know every rule under the sun when someone else does it and they don't agree with the calls made.
Ignore this signature