Is SAASL a shambles

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Urusei Yatsura
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Is SAASL a shambles

Post by Urusei Yatsura »

That's me :P

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

You think the "Fed player" issue doesn't exist in the CSL? Think again!

I have had the (mis?)fortune of playing SAASL in 2015 and CSL in 2016 so I have a relatively good comparison of the two. Whilst the refs don't have to deal with near anything what they do in SAASL (although that is a club specific issue, not comp specific), every other issue still exists (with some teams) - poor grounds, poor hosting, suspect players, suspect teams.

The common denominator? It's all amateur football. Expect anything other than an amateur approach, you're in the wrong competition.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Lucas Leiva wrote:You think the "Fed player" issue doesn't exist in the CSL? Think again!

I have had the (mis?)fortune of playing SAASL in 2015 and CSL in 2016 so I have a relatively good comparison of the two. Whilst the refs don't have to deal with near anything what they do in SAASL (although that is a club specific issue, not comp specific), every other issue still exists (with some teams) - poor grounds, poor hosting, suspect players, suspect teams.

The common denominator? It's all amateur football. Expect anything other than an amateur approach, you're in the wrong competition.

Does being in an amateur competition mean you're allowed to hoard money and not utilise it for the purposes it's being collected for?

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Lucas Leiva wrote:You think the "Fed player" issue doesn't exist in the CSL? Think again!

All well and good but when you charge people money, they have a right to expect a decent level of organisation.
FSC

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by absolutely appalled »

With the funds the SAASL have they should be able too
- Stamp out all the illegal players in a quick and swift manor. How much money would it cost to get an independent person to go view a game on a Saturday or Sunday and take video/photos of a game? $100 at the most? Hire and extra person at SAASL to be in charge of investigations?
- Stamp out violence from players towards refs/towards other players/ crowd violence etc? Again an independent person just going to view a game. I'm not suggesting every game gets watched , but surely (I say that loosely) they would have a rough idea on which teams are the trouble makers etc.
- Recruit refs/ lines people and train them to a suitable level (most seriously are not at the level, and too add to that probably fearing for there safety doesn't help) which will hopefully reduce the amount of frustrations and games getting out of control, even taking it further perhaps ensure them that there will be an independent body present at high risk games to ensure there safety.

They have a $1.5million , surely those measure would drop it to at most $1.3
- they don't need to tolerate trouble maker teams , they do not need the money they bring in
- what is required is referees , coz without them we have no game!
INVEST SOME MONEY FFS!!!!

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

absolutely appalled wrote:With the funds the SAASL have they should be able too
- Stamp out all the illegal players in a quick and swift manor. How much money would it cost to get an independent person to go view a game on a Saturday or Sunday and take video/photos of a game? $100 at the most? Hire and extra person at SAASL to be in charge of investigations?
- Stamp out violence from players towards refs/towards other players/ crowd violence etc? Again an independent person just going to view a game. I'm not suggesting every game gets watched , but surely (I say that loosely) they would have a rough idea on which teams are the trouble makers etc.
- Recruit refs/ lines people and train them to a suitable level (most seriously are not at the level, and too add to that probably fearing for there safety doesn't help) which will hopefully reduce the amount of frustrations and games getting out of control, even taking it further perhaps ensure them that there will be an independent body present at high risk games to ensure there safety.

They have a $1.5million , surely those measure would drop it to at most $1.3
- they don't need to tolerate trouble maker teams , they do not need the money they bring in
- what is required is referees , coz without them we have no game!
INVEST SOME MONEY FFS!!!!
Spot on, and again just a query - if teams did start leaving in the next few years, what happens to that money they have sitting in the bank?

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

SAASL investing money isn't the answer to a referee issue

All that is required is harsher penalties for clubs

I agree with what has already been mentioned about the SAAFL, big fines, big suspensions and even had the balls to suspend a club for an entire season

This is how you get results

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Sure the SAASL can invest money into the game, but if you attend the AGMs you will realise how the interest from the SAASL savings has been used to keep fees down for so long (acting as a cash subsidy for every SAASL amateur Club).
If your Club can afford to pay extra for affiliation fees and player registrations then there probably wouldn't be an issue.
Either the extra money for referees (if you think that will solve the issue of abuse) can come from the SAASL with an increase in Club costs or the Clubs could fork out more money on home game days..
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Robbo is spot on re: creating a culture that protects referees. SAASL lose nothing by getting rid of these trouble teams like Ghan. If anything it makes people more interested in playing. Spending more on referees, ie training etc, will certainly improve the standard. But until the issues with abuse and violence towards officials is stopped, you won't be able to attract the referees, to have the games played.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

anyone have any experience with stopping fed players playing in the day? we have their photos/statistics and suspect there card will say a different name, can referee request another form of ID?

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

Let their fed club know, pretty sure they will deal with it in house and prevent it happening, no luck there let the ffsa know and they should deal with it within their rules and regulations

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Gristy wrote:anyone have any experience with stopping fed players playing in the day? we have their photos/statistics and suspect there card will say a different name, can referee request another form of ID?
It is not the job of the referee to sort out issues involving unregistered players, they are only there to deal with aspects within the laws of the game.

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by absolutely appalled »

swannsong wrote:Sure the SAASL can invest money into the game, but if you attend the AGMs you will realise how the interest from the SAASL savings has been used to keep fees down for so long (acting as a cash subsidy for every SAASL amateur Club).
If your Club can afford to pay extra for affiliation fees and player registrations then there probably wouldn't be an issue.
Either the extra money for referees (if you think that will solve the issue of abuse) can come from the SAASL with an increase in Club costs or the Clubs could fork out more money on home game days..
They have $1.5 million , they don't need to jack up the fees. I think they have saved a sufficient amount of money for a governing soccer/football body. I'm sure $1.3 million could act sufficiently as a cash subsidy???
Now its time to run a proper soccer/football competition, teams getting away with playing fake players in this day and age is a joke. Not having official lines people again a disgrace.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

absolutely appalled wrote:
swannsong wrote:Sure the SAASL can invest money into the game, but if you attend the AGMs you will realise how the interest from the SAASL savings has been used to keep fees down for so long (acting as a cash subsidy for every SAASL amateur Club).
They have $1.5 million , they don't need to jack up the fees. I think they have saved a sufficient amount of money for a governing soccer/football body. I'm sure $1.3 million could act sufficiently as a cash subsidy???
Now its time to run a proper soccer/football competition, teams getting away with playing fake players in this day and age is a joke. Not having official lines people again a disgrace.
Maybe, but $200,000 among 100+ clubs equates to about $2000 per Club which equates to about $180 per home game (or $80 per game) .....probably less than most major Club sponsors put up....won't change a great deal for linesmen or referees if they keep getting the "know all" abuse hurled at them and pitch invasions...
Then the following year if you do the same you will only have $1.1 million....$0.9 million, $0.7 million, $0.5 million, $0.3 million, $0.1 million, -$0.1 million mmmm

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

IMO the SAASL needs to thin out it's members.
Kick out all the BS clubs that only have 1 team. (except certain post codes - country)
Have a set date to pay (say Jan) after that date if you have not paid you don't play. (no exceptions)
I'd rather see 2 solid AB&C leagues than 4-5 leagues of cabernet.
It's these BS clubs that lose refs and cause the majority of drama

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Why is it essential to have more than 1 team?

I'd like to see the whole 2 club system scrapped. Play teams in divisions they deserve to be in, not the divisions just the A grade deserve to be in.

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

God is an Englishman wrote:Why is it essential to have more than 1 team?

I'd like to see the whole 2 club system scrapped. Play teams in divisions they deserve to be in, not the divisions just the A grade deserve to be in.
It's a very South Aussie thing - never understood it.
FSC

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Andy1991 wrote:

It's also a resource thing.... As v Angle Vale Bs v Southern Breakers might be pushing resources a tad :D

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Dreamland. Clubs revolve around their senior team, and should continue to be.
Ignore this signature

The Bluehearts
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Bluehearts »

Andy1991 wrote:
It's been done this way in every Australian state I've lived in, not just South Australia.
Linda Linda

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Dreamland. Clubs revolve around their senior team, and should continue to be.
It works in other countries. A team a few years back won the league and got relegated. My club at home had a team in Div 1 and the reserves were in Div 7.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

Card check can be done in a simple way!

both teams line up holding their own cards and player to player compare cards. This must be requested 15 mins before kick off, at 10 minutes to kick off you conduct the card check, any player who thinks the player is not the player on the card must produce ID to match their card, if they can not they don't play. Sure it's asking a lot but eventually clubs and players will realise that enough is enough and will not try to do these things, if you don't care, don't ask.

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

The Bluehearts wrote:
Andy1991 wrote:
It's been done this way in every Australian state I've lived in, not just South Australia.
Not where I played in Southern Sydney.
FSC

The Bluehearts
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Bluehearts »

I haven't lived in New South Wales.
Linda Linda

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

spooky1972 wrote:Card check can be done in a simple way!

both teams line up holding their own cards and player to player compare cards. This must be requested 15 mins before kick off, at 10 minutes to kick off you conduct the card check, any player who thinks the player is not the player on the card must produce ID to match their card, if they can not they don't play. Sure it's asking a lot but eventually clubs and players will realise that enough is enough and will not try to do these things, if you don't care, don't ask.
This won't stop the registering of players under different names which is how some of these federation players have been played in the past.

I'm pretty sure my photo would be questioned on my card, it's from 10 years ago and i've got hair

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

God is an Englishman wrote:

This won't stop the registering of players under different names which is how some of these federation players have been played in the past.

I'm pretty sure my photo would be questioned on my card, it's from 10 years ago and i've got hair
yeah he is just saying players should require own i.d i.e. proof of age or drivers license.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

It's also not hard for the league to request players update their card photo every year

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Gristy wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:

yeah he is just saying players should require own i.d i.e. proof of age or drivers license.
I recently had a client who didn't have any of these forms of ID.

Urusei Yatsura
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Urusei Yatsura »

Gristy wrote:yeah he is just saying players should require own drivers license.
They don't issue those in Australia

Srbin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Srbin »

Another week and talk of playing suspended players and a game being called off due to violence again. This is a club that has been I the league for 40 years.

On that note, what was done to prevent what happened last week happen again this week. Absolutely nothing. The league is a shambles