Home Refs and appointed refs

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

90mins
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Home Refs and appointed refs

Post by 90mins »

What is the ruling on appointed refs who don't turn up to lower grades?
Can a club cancel an appointment and assign their club ref instead for reserve games?

I won't say they cheat (although some do) but they definitely affect games. Reds that are really yellows, however they are losing, therefore the tackle turns into an immediate red that a senior ref would not issue. Free kicks that seem to go against teams but if the home team does the same thing it's a 50/50. I would love to see the exact stats of lower graded games and cards. It would be interesting to see an entire season of cards and look where they were issued, for example if there are 15 red cards issued in a season to 10 clubs I'd go as far as to say 90% of those cards were issued towards the away team by the home ref.

Kim Kallstrom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Home Refs and appointed refs

Post by Kim Kallstrom »

sour grapes?

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

90mins wrote:What is the ruling on appointed refs who don't turn up to lower grades?
Can a club cancel an appointment and assign their club ref instead for reserve games?

I won't say they cheat (although some do) but they definitely affect games. Reds that are really yellows, however they are losing, therefore the tackle turns into an immediate red that a senior ref would not issue. Free kicks that seem to go against teams but if the home team does the same thing it's a 50/50. I would love to see the exact stats of lower graded games and cards. It would be interesting to see an entire season of cards and look where they were issued, for example if there are 15 red cards issued in a season to 10 clubs I'd go as far as to say 90% of those cards were issued towards the away team by the home ref.
- we had a ref not turn up to a reserve cup game (we do not get official ref for reserve in our div) and with permission of league and opposition game was started on time with club ref, official ref had been given the wrong time and took over after 10 minutes.

- would assume not, as that costs the league more money as they are paying the club ref, versus club paying the official ref. - also if they cannot give all refs a game then they could lose them to ffsa etc? - best to go call the league on this one though

90mins
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by 90mins »

Kim Kallstrom wrote:sour grapes?

define sour grapes?
Did we lose on the weekend due to a home ref - no - have we lost games or had very questionable decisions against us due to home ref - yes.

90mins
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by 90mins »

Gristy wrote:
90mins wrote:What is the ruling on appointed refs who don't turn up to lower grades?

- we had a ref not turn up to a reserve cup game (we do not get official ref for reserve in our div) and with permission of league and opposition game was started on time with club ref, official ref had been given the wrong time and took over after 10 minutes.

- would assume not, as that costs the league more money as they are paying the club ref, versus club paying the official ref. - also if they cannot give all refs a game then they could lose them to ffsa etc? - best to go call the league on this one though

at the weekend there was an assigned ref by the saasl, however with 20 minutes til kick off the club ref walks in and asks for team sheets and cards, how did they know the ref wasn't coming?

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

90mins wrote:
Kim Kallstrom wrote:sour grapes?

define sour grapes?
Did we lose on the weekend due to a home ref - no - have we lost games or had very questionable decisions against us due to home ref - yes.
I think your second line is an accurate definition :wink:
Are you Bodo in disguise?

90mins
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by 90mins »

again i would love to see the number of all red cards issued, in all leagues, for B&C teams in a single year. Then I'd like to see the ratio of home team and away team, I bet the scale is very different compared to senior games home and away teams.

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Ive refeeed about 10 Bs and Cs games in the past 3 years and never issued a card. Also rarely seen onegiven in some of our C team games this year.. i think 2 red cards from 18 games in our C1s and C2s
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

graham cornes once said when he was crows coach that his team seemed to be twice as dirty when they played in Victoria because the foul count against us always doubled. funny that. :roll:

Getinthere
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Getinthere »

at the weekend there was an assigned ref by the saasl, however with 20 minutes til kick off the club ref walks in and asks for team sheets and cards, how did they know the ref wasn't coming?[/quote]

We have had plenty of games this year where an assigned ref didn't bother to turn up for b and c grade games. Obviously the club was informed with 30 mins to go.

At least they were informed instead of waiting to kickoff and then trying to organise a ref