Amateur referees poor knowledge of The Laws Of The Game

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Amateur referees poor knowledge of The Laws Of The Game

Post by English »

swannsong wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
swannsong wrote:Had a bit of a head scratching day today..
I had a Reserve referee come up to me at half time and tell me..."I don't want you to be the Ground Marshall anymore."
When I asked why not ?
His reply (verbatim) was "No reason"

Also had an opposition player, who already had received a yellow card, whilst he was lying on the ground, deliberately grab and pull the ball away from one of our players feet.
When asked by our coach why he didn't receive a yellow card for deliberate handball....the referee's answer was "because he didn't want to give him a card."

Oh well, as they say in the classics.."It is what it is!"
Obviously didn't see it but remember handball is not always a bookable offence.
Was a case of the player reaching out with both hands and dragging the ball away from our player's feet as he was about to run off with the ball...seemed pretty deliberate to me and the referee did award a free kick....even the referee agreed that a deliberate handball should normally result in a yellow....said player was also immediately substituted by his coach.

Them's the breaks...
Can I ask who the player was? The only player we had booked was the one who was involved in the 'minor scuffle' where your bloke was sent off for punching him, and he stayed on the entire game.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

English wrote: Can I ask who the player was? The only player we had booked was the one who was involved in the 'minor scuffle' where your bloke was sent off for punching him, and he stayed on the entire game.
Think you are talking about the Reserves, the handball incident I was referring to was in the As.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

swannsong wrote:
English wrote: Can I ask who the player was? The only player we had booked was the one who was involved in the 'minor scuffle' where your bloke was sent off for punching him, and he stayed on the entire game.
Think you are talking about the Reserves, the handball incident I was referring to was in the As.
Sorry yeah I was, I assume the handball incident happened near the coaches, cos we can't see that from our heckling spot!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

bloodypissant wrote:Did you play the Adelaide crows today fowler 23 ??? They complain about the officiating every time they lose also ...
Knights have lost 3 games this year by 1 goal ( mostly due to our own defensive lapses and squandered chances ) ...can you please point out the other complaints you are referring to ?
It's more 'head scratching' than complaint about todays games.

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

swannsong wrote:
bloodypissant wrote:Did you play the Adelaide crows today fowler 23 ??? They complain about the officiating every time they lose also ...
Knights have lost 3 games this year by 1 goal ( mostly due to our own defensive lapses and squandered chances ) ...can you please point out the other complaints you are referring to ?
I don't think passit's post had anything to do with Knights.

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

Are you taking username editing classes from con m?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Spoiler Alert wrote:
swannsong wrote:
I don't think passit's post had anything to do with Knights.
Yes it does...trust me !

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

Actually rereading it I think you're right.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Soiled Alert wrote:Are you taking username editing classes from con m?
Why do you ask ?

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

suwon song wrote:
Soiled Alert wrote:Are you taking username editing classes from con m?
Why do you ask ?
Just curious.

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

POLONIAROCS wrote:
penalty wrote:Can't believe how poor the knowledge of The Laws Of The Game that Amature Referees have.
I am not complaining on interpretation as that is of the opinion of the referee. What I am concerned is the mistakes on point of Law.
For example.
1/ Ball has gone out for a goal kick. During stoppage of play a defending player argues withe the referee. Referee correctly cautions the player for descent, he then awards a direct free kick outside the penalty box. Play should have restarted with a goal kick. That is very poor, from a senior referee. Even the crowd knew it should have been a goal kick. If play was stopped to caution the player for descent, it is restarted with a indirect free kick.

2/ free kick inside the defending teams penalty area, defending player takes the free kick and plays it to a team mate inside the penalty area without ball leaving the area. Play was allowed to continue. Official linesman and referee failed to identify it.
All restarts of play inside the penalty area by the defending team, the ball must leave the penalty area before it can be played by another player (ball is not in play until it leaves the area).

It's getting frustrating watching games and seeing the amount of errors in law. What type of coaching are these referees getting and are they assessed on a yearly basis on the Laws of The Game.
I will have to check my referee handbook on the 2nd point you have mentioned. I'm no professional but in the scenario you have explained above I would have done the same. I will check it out for personal knowledge. Looks like I will learn something today.
Yeah, point 2 is new. Used to apply only to goal kicks, now applies to any free kick in defence's penalty area. Just changed in the last year or two. Not surprised some missed/forgot it, even the odd ref! I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but it's a law now.
Because everyone needs one.

Wunkar Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Wunkar Fox »

The way some clubs mark their pitches it's highly possible that the referee couldn't see the box.
Random roadkill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

It's hardly a new law

★★★
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ★★★ »

God is an Englishman wrote:It's hardly a new law

dinozoff
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dinozoff »

Ref last week: Player gets clipped in the box, manages to stay on his feet but cant get to ball before it goes out. turns to the ref and says "didnt you see that" ref replies "i saw it but you didn't go down so i played on"

gobsmacked :o
Dan Birdwell - You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

LRO
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LRO »

Ok what about these 2 decisions:

Ressies - Opposition take a throw in player throwing the ball his foot goes about 5-6 inches over the line and into play whilst taking the thow in - IS THIS A FOUL THROW? The ref called it a foul throw BUT let the player re take the throw in? Long throw flicked on and the opposition scored. Ref was adamant that the player could retake the throw. I would have thought being a foul throw that the throw should have been disallowed and the throw in then given to us?

1st Team: Opposition puts a through ball to the striker he is in the middle of the attacking half on the way to goal (5 meters outside of the 18 yard box?) Linesman puts flag up for offside and holds his opposition with his flag up (Ref mustn't have seen it at the time) player gets ball hits it from edge of 18 yard box and misses Ref blows for goal kick - realises the player was originally offside after conversing with linesman - Decision is GOAL KICK? I would have thought that the decision should have been for offside 20 meters ahead of where a goal kick as taken. The referee inspector that was there told me the Ref was right in his decision and I was wrong.

Im not stating this to have a go, I just want to know your thoughts as it bemused me and Refs (Or assessors) are not approachable these days.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

1. Was his foot completely over the line. Any part of his foot on or behind the line and play on. However, either way, the throw shouldn't be retaken.

2. Seems fair to me. Let the game flow, play on and no harm done. 20m doesn't really
make a difference in that part of the field. Plus, you can be offside from a free kick. You can't from a goal kick.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

I heard about a throw in back to the keeper who picked the ball up and play on was called in a Div 2 game Sunday.

Opposition were told that it was ok because it wasn't kicked back to them.

Also a hand ball and yellow card to a guy who had the ball kicked into his hip from a couple of yards away.

Player was told that he should have moved his arm out of the way rather than leaving it by his side.

My favourite from the weekend was an obvious free kick which was played as advantage on the edge of the box, player then got into the box and was dragged down from behind. Referee brings it back to the first incident for a free kick.

The Referees response was, "I was going to bring it back anyway"

As previously stated, they are human and can make mistakes but this is about NOT KNOWING the laws of the game as opposed to getting them wrong.
HA'WAY THE LADS

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Don't worry it's just about to get a whole lot better :lol:
johnydep wrote:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/england-to-use-new-ifab-rulebook-in-preeuro-2016-friendly-matches/news-story/98bf3570fbc9765b00bb7e8677bfc48f wrote: law changes do not come into effect until June 1

The most significant change removes the so-called ‘triple punishment’ currently in place for the denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity, where a player and team can be hit with a penalty, red card and subsequent suspension.

It will no longer be an automatic red card if a player or goalkeeper brings down an opponent while acting as the last line of defence - where a genuine attempt has been made to play the ball officials will be allowed to give a penalty and only book the offender.

Among the other 95 rule changes approved by IFAB, there is no need for teams kicking off to send the ball forwards - only one player will need to stand in the centre circle and can pass in any direction.

Free kicks after an offside will be taken from where a player first touched the ball in an offside position rather than where he was originally standing when offside.

Players also no longer have to leave the field if they receive treatment following a yellow card or red card offence.

Players can be sent off before the start of play, perhaps for an incident in the tunnel. Should this happen the sent off player can be replaced by a substitute.

A yellow card will be shown to goalkeepers who move early off their line while facing a penalty, and takers feigning to shoot in their run-up in obvious cases of deception will be booked with no re-take allowed.

Players can also be charged with violent conduct if no contact is made with an opponent.
Time for some righteous indignation

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Free kicks after an offside will be taken from where a player first touched the ball in an offside position rather than where he was originally standing when offside.
How does this fit in with the current rule I wonder....?
HA'WAY THE LADS

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Stitch This wrote:Don't worry it's just about to get a whole lot better :lol:
johnydep wrote:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/england-to-use-new-ifab-rulebook-in-preeuro-2016-friendly-matches/news-story/98bf3570fbc9765b00bb7e8677bfc48f wrote: law changes do not come into effect until June 1

The most significant change removes the so-called ‘triple punishment’ currently in place for the denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity, where a player and team can be hit with a penalty, red card and subsequent suspension.

It will no longer be an automatic red card if a player or goalkeeper brings down an opponent while acting as the last line of defence - where a genuine attempt has been made to play the ball officials will be allowed to give a penalty and only book the offender.

Among the other 95 rule changes approved by IFAB, there is no need for teams kicking off to send the ball forwards - only one player will need to stand in the centre circle and can pass in any direction.

Players also no longer have to leave the field if they receive treatment following a yellow card or red card offence.

Players can be sent off before the start of play, perhaps for an incident in the tunnel. Should this happen the sent off player can be replaced by a substitute.

A yellow card will be shown to goalkeepers who move early off their line while facing a penalty, and takers feigning to shoot in their run-up in obvious cases of deception will be booked with no re-take allowed.

Players can also be charged with violent conduct if no contact is made with an opponent.
It will take about ten years for the average local punter to latch on.
Ignore this signature

Right Back
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Right Back »

What if the offside offence involved interference with play and no touching of the ball?

Would that count as 1 of the 3 subs?

ManCityMan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ManCityMan »

Lots of complaining here but nobody signing up to referee I presume.

SAASL has less than perfect quality referees for a number of reasons.

1 - already been made. If it is a low quality game, don't expect a top knotch ref. The good refs are doing the good games and jusging by the complaining about EPL decisions and A-League. Many don't rate them either.

2 - the league has a shortage of referees and a referee is always given a game every week and therefore there is no "pressure from the ressies" to use a player term. There are no ressies. The referee can be terrible and it won't matter. If more people join up then you can expect overall standard of refereeing to increase.

3 - There is a limited budget for assessors, and limited pool of assessors, to improve the knowledge and skills of referees. It is quite possible that nobody finds out about these mistakes as there is nobody there on the day.

4 - The intimidation (intended or otherwise) of referees clouds the mind. I'm happy to argue to anyone that standing on a SAASL field with no fence and no marshalls in many cases is a bit scary for many people. When you have hoards of players and spectators howling at you on a regular basis, and a genuine concern for your safety at all times, you simply are not 100% focussed on the game. I bet the exmaple given of "i didn't want to" for the yellow card, is really "i didn't want to as i feared the consequences"

So in summary, if you are unhappy with the standard of refereeing tell the league and ask for these things

1 - raise referee pay rates so the SAASL can poach the better referees from other associations
2 - encourage people who think referees are terrible to step up and show they are better.
3 - Ask for more money to be made available for referee assessment and development
4 - tell those around you to stop being d!ckheads and make sure that the referee feels safe by controlling the crowd and your coaches.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Right Back wrote:

What if the offside offence involved interference with play and no touching of the ball?

Would that count as 1 of the 3 subs?
rules IFAB brought in, in January state that after pre-match inspection player can be sent off before kick off and replaced with one of the subs, so yes 1/3 used before kick off.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... le-changes

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ManCityMan wrote:focussed on the game. I bet the example given of "i didn't want to" for the yellow card, is really "i didn't want to as i feared the consequences"
I very much doubt that as a second yellow was issued to an opposition player minutes later.
Inconsistency is the biggest cause of frustration for coaches and spectators.
Agree with most of the other points though.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

Lots of complaining here but nobody signing up to referee I presume.

1 - already been made. If it is a low quality game, don't expect a top knotch ref. The good refs are doing the good games and jusging by the complaining about EPL decisions and A-League. Many don't rate them either.

2 - the league has a shortage of referees and a referee is always given a game every week and therefore there is no "pressure from the ressies" to use a player term. There are no ressies. The referee can be terrible and it won't matter. If more people join up then you can expect overall standard of refereeing to increase.

3 - There is a limited budget for assessors, and limited pool of assessors, to improve the knowledge and skills of referees. It is quite possible that nobody finds out about these mistakes as there is nobody there on the day.

4 - The intimidation (intended or otherwise) of referees clouds the mind. I'm happy to argue to anyone that standing on a SAASL field with no fence and no marshalls in many cases is a bit scary for many people. When you have hoards of players and spectators howling at you on a regular basis, and a genuine concern for your safety at all times, you simply are not 100% focussed on the game. I bet the exmaple given of "i didn't want to" for the yellow card, is really "i didn't want to as i feared the consequences"

So in summary, if you are unhappy with the standard of refereeing tell the league and ask for these things

1 - raise referee pay rates so the SAASL can poach the better referees from other associations
2 - encourage people who think referees are terrible to step up and show they are better.
3 - Ask for more money to be made available for referee assessment and development
4 - tell those around you to stop being d!ckheads and make sure that the referee feels safe by controlling the crowd and your coaches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/ provide a SAFE WORK PLACE. Do not recomend becoming a referee as it does not provide a safe environment for match officials. All talk no action. Know from experience.

2/ referee and assessor must complete a minimum numberr of coaching (not after or before management meetings) and must pass a yearly FIFA approved test every year.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

penalty wrote:Lots of complaining here but nobody signing up to referee I presume.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/ provide a SAFE WORK PLACE. Do not recomend becoming a referee as it does not provide a safe environment for match officials. All talk no action. Know from experience.

2/ referee and assessor must complete a minimum numberr of coaching (not after or before management meetings) and must pass a yearly FIFA approved test every year.
Not sure if things have become much worse , but in my 4-5 years of refereeing I only ever felt 'unsafe' or threatened at one game.

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by absolutely appalled »

3 - There is a limited budget [/u][/i]for assessors, and limited pool of assessors, to improve the knowledge and skills of referees. It is quite possible that nobody finds out about these mistakes as there is nobody there on the day.

4 - tell those around you to stop being d!ckheads and make sure that the referee feels safe by controlling the crowd and your coach

Limited budget? 1.5 million in the bank a limited budget these days? you must be a rich fella if you consider that "limited" - id say its nearly unlimited

Having said that I agree with all of your points , especially the 4th one its very embarrassing how people treat the refs. its one thing to question a ref but some of what goes on is absolutely appalling . Granted the refs don't make it easy sometimes , for example we had a ref this season in the As (not a club ref one from the saasl) call half time after 30 minutes (there was no fighting or anything he just thought it was half time) thankfully he was being assessed and we got called back on about 5 minutes later after the assessor went onto the field to discuss wtf the ref was doing.

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

swannsong wrote: Not sure if things have become much worse , but in my 4-5 years of refereeing I only ever felt 'unsafe' or threatened at one game.
Really? You must be f'n tough.
Because everyone needs one.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

bench-warmer wrote:
swannsong wrote: Not sure if things have become much worse , but in my 4-5 years of refereeing I only ever felt 'unsafe' or threatened at one game.
Really? You must be f'n tough.
It's also probably pretty easy when you give all the decisions to the homesides.
It's all in the Delivery!